Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
It's worked since at least 8th came out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Yeah, Battlescribe isn't great right now. You have to double check every little thing since there are so many errors.

One that comes to mind is Company Veterans. Their loadout selection isn't working right.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
I use Battlescribe but I'm not fond of it, having used the Sigmar app's Azyr army builder since it came out I much prefer that and hope the 40k app is similar, it's just so much more polished and stable than Battlescribe. Plus it's reliably updated.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

downtimejesus posted:

Hey, I decided to get back into this after not playing for 13 years, and was wondering if there was any way to make army lists without it being a chore. I googled and saw there was a web based one and it got shut down, so I'm not sure if/how it's possible besides just going through all of it by hand.

e: yes i have the codex i'm building an army for, i'm not looking for :filez: or anything
As you may have noticed, the new layout sucks. A lot of people rely on apps like Battlescribe and Quartermaster for list building. Battlescribe honestly kind of sucks as the data files are crowdsourced and the people making them aren't necessarily the best coders. It is free, however. I haven't used Quartermaster myself, but I've heard good things. The main downside is that it costs actual money to download the app.

I'm one of those weirdos that likes writing my lists out by hand so I've gone through my Indices and the chaos marine Codex with a fine-tipped sharpie pen to write the points values in. Saves me from having to flip all over the place and gives me the points context when idly browsing. Power's dumb.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Excel works fine.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug
I've been building mixed detachments (aeldari) and you can add sub detachments as part of the parent to mix factions that way and fulfill the force org reqs. I believe that was a feature introduced in the last month.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

bonds0097 posted:

I've been building mixed detachments (aeldari) and you can add sub detachments as part of the parent to mix factions that way and fulfill the force org reqs. I believe that was a feature introduced in the last month.

Yes you can do this. It's also a kludgy and dumb and a pain to work with.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

xtothez posted:

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2017/08/22/codex-death-guard-first-lookgw-homepage-post-2/

Death Guard preview, and confirmation that AdMech is up next as codex #5

Admech getting forgeworld rules is pretty cool

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug

Pendent posted:

Yes you can do this. It's also a kludgy and dumb and a pain to work with.

I think it's pretty simple and easy and the best we have for now. I can whip up lists really quickly with it.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Naramyth posted:

Not on iOS. Or andriod according to how much time my roommate is in battlescribe.

Making detachments correct does suck, so like, don't do that. It's a great points calculator/database.

Sisters of Silence aren't on the app for iOS. The desktop version is great, I have tons of issues with the mobile version.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

Zaphod42 posted:

Admech getting forgeworld rules is pretty cool

Not if that rule is 15% shipping on all AdMech kits :v:

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

Got started on my terrible idea of building a full Catachan army and assembled my first Russ in about 10 years. When did they retool this kit? It's friggin amazing the way the made the slots for the treads.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

Zuul the Cat posted:

Sisters of Silence aren't on the app for iOS. The desktop version is great, I have tons of issues with the mobile version.

Take the hint. :v:

e: and checking my copy on iOS Sisters of Silence are there.

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.
Lol if you don't use excel spreadsheets to make your list.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I use an abacus and stone tablets to make my lists. :colbert:

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

Master Twig posted:

lol entering points into spreadsheets

who has time for that

let the nerds who make the repositories do all that garbage

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.

Naramyth posted:

lol entering points into spreadsheets

who has time for that

let the nerds who make the repositories do all that garbage

Because I know I can get it right without bugs.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Master Twig posted:

Lol if you don't work it out on your phones calculator from memory.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

Lol if you don't cheat and keep a "mental tally" that conveniently includes Artificer Armor, melta bombs, etc as needed.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer
Lol if you don't just put a feasible looking number of models down on the table without bothering to add up the points at all.

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man

Pendent posted:

Lol if you don't just put a feasible looking number of models down on the table without bothering to add up the points at all.

Narrative forging like a pro.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Just :lol: if you even play this game.

I do. Sometimes.

bij
Feb 24, 2007

The paint job on the Inquisitorial Stormtroopers the Death Guard are about to shitwreck is pretty snazzy.

Oh yea and the new Death Guard stuff owns too.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
I'm just glad Admech are getting their synergies with knights back, from what it looks like.

Going from being defacto part of the Admech/Skitarii faction to having zero crossover in the index put them in a weird place.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I've been having an okay time with AdMech, but it sucks not being able to take certain units. And now that I have a knight, i absolutely want to take one.

I'm hoping AdMech are next because those rumors about new models are true.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Zuul the Cat posted:

I've been having an okay time with AdMech, but it sucks not being able to take certain units. And now that I have a knight, i absolutely want to take one.

I'm hoping AdMech are next because those rumors about new models are true.

What new models are rumored?

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Geoff Zahn posted:

Does the pdf version of the codexes receive an update when they release errata? I'm stuck between getting either the physical or e-book version when the Death Guard one comes out.
There are no PDF codexes, you pirate. Epub3 is the GW format, and it is pretty terrible, as there aren't a lot of e-readers that support it. iBooks might (clarification anyone?), Kobo for Android, and Readium for Chrome.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Prior to the rumors of 8th, AdMech were supposedly getting a release of more Legio Cybernetica stuff (to go along with the Kastelan's) and a flyer.

Here's one of the links, but there's a bunch dating back to a year+ ago.

I guess it was stated these were leftover things from the original product line that didn't get built and released.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

berzerkmonkey posted:

There are no PDF codexes, you pirate. Epub3 is the GW format, and it is pretty terrible, as there aren't a lot of e-readers that support it. iBooks might (clarification anyone?), Kobo for Android, and Readium for Chrome.

gently caress, I was already tempted to get some Death Guard and now you've made me really want to roll a Slurm Squad chapter :allears:

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

A friend of mine let his 8 year old cousin come up with the color scheme and paint a guy for his small Primaris army, and he's going to paint up the rest like it

Broken Record Talk
Jul 28, 2009

A three-hundred thousand degree baptism by nuclear fire;
we had it coming.

Zuul the Cat posted:

Prior to the rumors of 8th, AdMech were supposedly getting a release of more Legio Cybernetica stuff (to go along with the Kastelan's) and a flyer.

Here's one of the links, but there's a bunch dating back to a year+ ago.

I guess it was stated these were leftover things from the original product line that didn't get built and released.

I guess we'll have to see, but I'd take anything off of BOLS with a massive grain of salt.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
A disgusting yet revitalizing soda may be the thematic key for my Nurgle/Slaanesh team-up army...

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Broken Record Talk posted:

I guess we'll have to see, but I'd take anything off of BOLS with a massive grain of salt.

Every time I see the transport rumor it immediately makes me scoff. I don't think AdMech will ever get transports, it doesn't fit with the theme of the army.

But more robots and a flyer makes sense. Taken with a grain of salt, but i sure hope it's true. Fingers crossed the flyer is just a giant floating brick with tons of wires and weapon arrays.

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Y'all got any more of that plastic?
Buglord

berzerkmonkey posted:

Despite being a millennial I've never bought an e-book before in my life so I had no idea they were something other than a PDF haha. Guess I'll stick to the printed version if GW's are a pain to use and from there take pics of the pages if I want something to view on my tablet.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

Babe Magnet posted:

A friend of mine let his 8 year old cousin come up with the color scheme and paint a guy for his small Primaris army, and he's going to paint up the rest like it

That green looks an awful lot like my Sons of Horus paint scheme, what shade is that?

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Zuul the Cat posted:

Every time I see the transport rumor it immediately makes me scoff. I don't think AdMech will ever get transports, it doesn't fit with the theme of the army.

But more robots and a flyer makes sense. Taken with a grain of salt, but i sure hope it's true. Fingers crossed the flyer is just a giant floating brick with tons of wires and weapon arrays.
30k AdMech has transports and they're both insane death trains.

Unfortunately, they're not available for use in 40k. Yet. The 30k AdMech stuff will likely all get 40k rules in the next Imperial Armor book, Fires of Cyraxus. In 2025.

I don't think that transports are out of place for 40k AdMech and they could honestly use one to round out the range a little. It may be a rolling gun pile like the Macrocarid Explorator (the second one up there) and cost a bunch of points, but at least it would be there.

Cainer
May 8, 2008
Ya I don't think we'll get a transport either. I just hope our less useful Troops get some buffs in the new codex, like getting back the old double-wound rules for vanguard's cancer guns(the new double damage thing has yet to ever do anything for me), something to make rangers a unit I want to take over literally any of the other Troops choice options like Infiltrate or just straight up better Advancing rules. The old Scout and Crusader rules they used to have were really nice.

New robots and a flyer would be pretty rad, I still need to pick up some stompy Kastelons for my army but I think I'm just gonna hold off till the codex hits to see what happens. I still have an Onager, a couple of vanguard and my new Kataphron Destroyers to paint anyway, no point throwing on an even bigger workload till they're done.

I cannot wait to see what our Strategems are, though they are probably just the old skittles Doctrina Imperatives with varying Command Point costs. Hopefully since they will cost CP they won't have the downsides to them.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

panascope posted:

That green looks an awful lot like my Sons of Horus paint scheme, what shade is that?

loren forest on top of caliban green

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I have a fairly large AdMech army. I need to pick up 15 more Fulgurite Electro-Priests and 3 Syndonian Dragoons, then I think i'm done for now.

What would be amazing is if the fabled AdMech transport was just a massive train on tank treads. Cargo container(s) for the Skitarii (like cattle cars) for the transport.

Safety Factor posted:

30k AdMech has transports and they're both insane death trains.

Unfortunately, they're not available for use in 40k. Yet. The 30k AdMech stuff will likely all get 40k rules in the next Imperial Armor book, Fires of Cyraxus. In 2025.

I don't think that transports are out of place for 40k AdMech and they could honestly use one to round out the range a little. It may be a rolling gun pile like the Macrocarid Explorator (the second one up there) and cost a bunch of points, but at least it would be there.

These are both cool as hell, but yeah, no rules in 40k yet. Lots of the 30k Mechanicum stuff is awesome, like Myrmidons.

Zuul the Cat fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Aug 22, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Funktastic
Dec 27, 2012

College Slice
Frankly it could be a metal box on wheels and no guns, as long as it can get my fulgurite electro priests across the battlefield safely, I'll take it.

A flyer and a few HQ units and some new robots wouldn't hurt either.