Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
Rookie mistake. Only talk to Tim Kalpakis about his big, square head.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

Work Friend Keven posted:

Rookie mistake. Only talk to Tim Kalpakis about his big, square head.

I was literally about to post this. It's probably the biggest, squarest head I've ever seen on a real person. It's fascinating.

Also, I'd like to ask him about books that he's read, as I hear he's a real book guy.

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

I'm going to the how did this get made live in DC. I am for sure going to at least try and get a picture with Zouks before I Heynongman him.

Obviously I will immediately post in this thread about it.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Hollywood Handbook was good.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

ManoliIsFat posted:

And def don't even think about touching him.

Kinda tangentially related, Don't Get Me Started had its last episode today. It took me some time, but I really came to love it. Their non-routine eps are are spetacular: the Zooks and Walsh improv episodes as was Neil Cambpell's sketch episode. They're both huge, old dorks and I'll miss this show a bunch. Can't bring myself to listen to Will's Beatles podcast.

Hey SA podcast readers: You should get started on Don't Get Me Started. Start anywhere you like.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I see Jason Mantzoukas every year at Del Close Marathon and think "Oh that's Jason Mantzoukas, cool. I won't bother him or stare." because I'm an empathetic human being.

Also HH and Off Book were great this week. Tuesday is the new best podcast day. Sorry Monday! Sucks to be you.

Tarranon
Oct 10, 2007

Diggity Dog

The Berzerker posted:

Hollywood Handbook was good.

Shame we'll never see the 200th episode but I gotta agree with the boys; better to go out on your own terms

Know Such Peace
Dec 30, 2008
They’re saving the Tompkins/Scharpling reunion for episode 200, right?

Maybe they’ll review McDonalds instead.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

They should bring back Pauly Shore for episode 200

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
Episode 200 should be REALITY SHOW SHOW V2

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Malcolm Excellent posted:

Episode 200 should be REALITY SHOW SHOW V2

30th season of The Challenge is running right now! They gotta do it!

There are contestants on this season of The Challenge that originally appeared on Road Rules, a show that has not been on the air in a decade :psyduck: Who is the audience for this thing

JethroMcB fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Aug 23, 2017

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

On the Best Show this week, Tom said HH had 5 more episodes left. Unsure if he's just in on the joke or it's really over for real for real this time.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Maybe they'll end HH + start a patreon for their new podcast "The Boys"

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

ManoliIsFat posted:

On the Best Show this week, Tom said HH had 5 more episodes left. Unsure if he's just in on the joke or it's really over for real for real this time.

Last week he said something about him being sad to have missed their final 2 episodes so I think he is just loving with everyone.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
i hope they bring back the lovely comedian who didn't understand what was going on.

not pauly shore.

Koholint
Jan 1, 2010

~Neck Angels~
Iliza Schlesinger? I listened to that one again recently, "Did you just wink at me" is one of my fave HH moments. The boys really hammed it up.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
No, Iliza was great. Think Darkman Fanpage meant Mike Lawrence, the guy who just couldn't/didn't attempt to understand the game they were playing.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

JethroMcB posted:

No, Iliza was great. Think Darkman Fanpage meant Mike Lawrence, the guy who just couldn't/didn't attempt to understand the game they were playing.
the iliza episode was great, i enjoy it when the guest actively dislikes what the boys are doing

mike lawrence is the guy i think, yeah. he gets a shoutout on sean's chris gethard episode

Monday Bandele
Apr 26, 2008
It amazes me that Iliza was the only one of about 100 comedian guests who couldn't figure out what the joke was. And now she has Netflix specials.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

She was very funny

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
Yeah the Mike guy.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Monday Bandele posted:

It amazes me that Iliza was the only one of about 100 comedian guests who couldn't figure out what the joke was. And now she has Netflix specials.

She clued in at the end though

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
Kind of messed up that people who say accessible jokes have a broad platform and widespread success; but the real funny guys, the guys who say things that aren't funny but the audience is supposed to infer that actually they're making fun of things that aren't funny, like what they're saying but not what they're actually saying, because they don't really mean it, have to make their money in writers rooms.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

I like Hollywood Handbook a great deal more than you do (though its reliance on relatively samey banter between the two hosts makes it less fun to binge than a show like CBB imo), but I agree that it's not exactly a mystery why they don't have a bigger fan base. It seems hard to imagine Sean and Hayes were ever actually confused about it either, since they went out of their way to poo poo on ideas they were given to make it more accessible. For better or worse, they made the show they wanted to make.

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I don't think they really care if they're successful in any real sense (they want people to like their show of course but that's not the same thing). They're both fairly well off staff writers, I don't think they're interested in making something good rather than something they can fiddle fart around with and spend time together each week.

Past Tense Ragu
Oct 17, 2005

Work Friend Keven posted:

I don't think they really care if they're successful in any real sense (they want people to like their show of course but that's not the same thing). They're both fairly well off staff writers, I don't think they're interested in making something good rather than something they can fiddle fart around with and spend time together each week.

Fascinating. Always love reading your take on this.

Know Such Peace
Dec 30, 2008
It’s almost as if what people enjoy about HH is the dynamic of two funny friends doing dumb bits together without any pressure to grow their audience. :thunk:

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

In this particular case I wasn't responding to the idea of anyone, anywhere liking the show. Just that it was somehow a shame or injustice that iliza shlesinger has nexflix specials and they don't.

Brock Samson
May 13, 2003

I let you know me, see me. I gave you a rare gift, but you didn't want it.

Speak on that.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

JethroMcB posted:

I remember getting the impression that he understood what was going on but he just didn't want to go along with it, tho I haven't listened to that ep since it came out.

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

:shoboobs:
I could see HH at least re-branding or re-launching around episode #200. It's kind of far from the initial synopsis that a new listener would read about the show before listening, making it even more difficult for a new listener.

The whole "making your dumb podcast better" shtick is amazing new direction and worth its own podcast format.

Know Such Peace
Dec 30, 2008
The Best Show: Los Angeles

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Know Such Peace posted:

The Best Show: Los Angeles

"Did you see that new...what is it...this new Jim Franco show on HBO? Two Guys, I think? I think it's called The Two Guys. He's the two guys, Franco's both of them."
"Oh, brudder."
[45 seconds of idle pen clicking]
"Who's good here, Cody?"

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

JethroMcB posted:

"Did you see that new...what is it...this new Jim Franco show on HBO? Two Guys, I think? I think it's called The Two Guys. He's the two guys, Franco's both of them."
"Oh, brudder."
[45 seconds of idle pen clicking]
"Who's good here, Cody?"

You say that like Mike wouldn't somehow have arrived in LA before Tom.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

worlds collide as hollywood handbook mentions cum town

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
Stav said the Monster gently caress was hilarious too a few episodes ago

Monday Bandele
Apr 26, 2008
Mullen would be a great guest if he could get over his hatred of improv (despite being a natural at it)

HolePisser1982
Nov 3, 2002

Monday Bandele posted:

Mullen would be a great guest if he could get over his hatred of improv (despite being a natural at it)

It would be terrible, the Mike Lawrence ep proved the boys just don't get east coast comedy

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
It was real weird to hear Scott Auk mention Chapo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kidsam
Aug 12, 2007

YES
Stav on Doughboys is the only Cum Town/LA Podcast crossover I wanna hear