Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shadowlz
Oct 3, 2011

Oh it's gonna happen one way or the other, pal.

God this guy is so awesome to watch. So much detail.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_48zgMXIqY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

And it's begun:

Procedural Objects mod used to transform a building to fit the angle of a road.

https://www.reddit.com/r/CitiesSkylines/comments/6upfmg/custom_corner_building_created_using_the/

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

At some point Cities Skylines will probably become The Matrix.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
How screwed am I if I don't buy any of the DLC for this game? I bought the Deluxe Pack, figured that such a title meant I'd be getting stuff like Mass Transit and After Dark with it, but I'm really not keen on buying 20bux more stuff at this point.

e: did a bit of research watching LGR; evidently a lot of the stuff I was concerned about not having (better traffic AI comes to mind) is actually part of the free bits of the expansions. Really neat how there's a difference between Expansion Content and Free Content That Came Out At The Time Of The Expansion.

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Aug 20, 2017

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

MisterBibs posted:

How screwed am I if I don't buy any of the DLC for this game? I bought the Deluxe Pack, figured that such a title meant I'd be getting stuff like Mass Transit and After Dark with it, but I'm really not keen on buying 20bux more stuff at this point.

I made that mistake yesterday without looking clearer myself, $2.5 for the deluxe pack which gave me 5 historical monuments lol. My understanding is the game is fine without it, but they make it look pretty

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

turn off the TV posted:

And it's begun:

https://www.reddit.com/r/CitiesSkylines/comments/6upfmg/custom_corner_building_created_using_the/

It.. it's happening?

Shanakin
Mar 26, 2010

The whole point of stats are lost if you keep it a secret. Why Didn't you tell the world eh?
None of the expansions are must have by any means. The big reason to get them are the extra transport methods in them, such as bikes trams and monorails but at no time are they truly necessary.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
Play the base game for a while, and if you decide you want to add trams or something then get the appropriate DLC then. They have sales reasonably often anyway so that's the time to get them.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Wake up and smell the green juice

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7WWU8OuIAs

http://www.paradoxplaza.com/cities-skylines---green-cities

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

That sounds pretty neat I guess but I have zero faith that there will be any significant changes to the simulation to make any of the additions more than cosmetic.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender
I'm the "Healthy Weeds".

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

turn off the TV posted:

That sounds pretty neat I guess but I have zero faith that there will be any significant changes to the simulation to make any of the additions more than cosmetic.

It seems, especially from that line at the end, that this is mostly cosmetic. I mean pollution is barely a problem in a base game as it is, unless they plan on overhauling pollution. The 200 new buildings makes me think this is just a giant building/asset pack.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I'm going to hold out hope that "green cities" means adding a bunch of options to make pedestrian neighborhoods possible. Now that they added control over individual roads they should be able to add the ability to turn them into pedestrian malls at the very least.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED
You're telling me all those ped paths I painstakingly placed didn't change traffic? They looked good at least

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

They provide routes that seem to relieve some traffic but you can't make pedestrian only zones without mods, and those have some issues since the game isn't built to deal with it.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Grand Fromage posted:

I'm going to hold out hope that "green cities" means adding a bunch of options to make pedestrian neighborhoods possible. Now that they added control over individual roads they should be able to add the ability to turn them into pedestrian malls at the very least.

They're going to use the snowfall roof snow system to add green roofs to buildings by plopping some weeds on top if you add "green roofs" policy to a district which lowers pollution (even though trees don't) but costs more money than it's worth. It can also only be used on "eco maps". There's also now "green power" which for some reason isn't just electricity it's something else and you need to click to upgrade all your power lines to supply green power to buildings, which some how lowers their trash output and electricity consumption but if you do the math isn't really worth doing. There's a new "eco tourism" commercial specialty but it's just another commercial re-skin and tourism still hasn't been fixed to be meaningful.

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Aug 22, 2017

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Baronjutter posted:

They're going to use the snowfall roof snow system to add green roofs to buildings by plopping some weeds on top if you add "green roofs" policy to a district which lowers pollution (even though trees don't) but costs more money than it's worth. It can also only be used on "eco maps". There's also now "green power" which for some reason isn't just electricity it's something else and you need to click to upgrade all your power lines to supply green power to buildings, which some how lowers their trash output and electricity consumption but if you do the math isn't really worth doing. There's a new "eco tourism" commercial specialty but it's just another commercial re-skin and tourism still hasn't been fixed to be meaningful.
Please tell me that's just cynicism. :negative:

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

My honest thoughts after looking carefully at the trailer:
-There will be some new "eco housing" residential district specialty that makes all the houses "eco houses" or something which all have ugly trendy eco-futuristic architecture. There won't be enough building models for this to look good though so you'll get some super repetitive solar-paneled green roof suburbs or goofy "green" condo towers. They won't really do much in terms of gameplay or effecting existing mechanics, they'll just use less power or produce less garbage or pay higher taxes because the residents are all super smart or who knows, but it will be ugly and not present meaningful gameplay choices.

-There will be some new buildings for cleaning air and water pollution. Rather than make the existing pollution systems more interesting by adding wind and effects from trees and parks or less of a binary polluted/not polluted system for residents becoming sick they'll just give you some goofy futuristic thing you can plop down which magic pollution away.

-There will be some new policies and district stuff but like 90% of the existing policies they're either totally useless or things you always want on because so many choices in the game are binary rather than based on a spectrum and different situations.

It will be yet another fluff pack like the first 2 expansions that takes what could be a cool idea that fleshes out some of the game's existing but under-developed mechanics but instead doesn't change anything, just slaps a little paint on top.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I'm going to buy it anyway.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

I just want to be able to zone industrial areas in max-level education and income areas that don't pollute!

Yeah I know I can make them lumberyards or whatever but that looks retarded

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Is there a hotkey i can hold down to temporarily disable all the grid/angle/etc snapping that's going on when i place roads and the like? Like in Photoshop you can hold down CTRL for fine placement.

Edit: found it, you have to set it in the controls
Edit2: Since i have last post here anyway still, is there a mod that makes it so water pumps don't actually physically pump water? They are ruining my perfect river!!!

Dongattack fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Aug 22, 2017

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Dongattack posted:

Is there a hotkey i can hold down to temporarily disable all the grid/angle/etc snapping that's going on when i place roads and the like? Like in Photoshop you can hold down CTRL for fine placement.

Edit: found it, you have to set it in the controls
Edit2: Since i have last post here anyway still, is there a mod that makes it so water pumps don't actually physically pump water? They are ruining my perfect river!!!

Yeah the amount of actual physical mass of water pumps move around it crazy. There's a bunch of really cool more realistic looking water-works type stuff on the workshop and mostly work like water-towers.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Can we get the OP updated with a summary of the different expansions and add ons and what they provide?

Also, can we get all the dead workshop links removed?

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Looten Plunder posted:

Can we get the OP updated with a summary of the different expansions and add ons and what they provide?

Also, can we get all the dead workshop links removed?

Considering that the OP hasn't posted in this thread for a year or two now I think maybe not.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

One of the big pushes with this expansion is them advertising how many new assets it includes, so it seems they're aware that's been an issue.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

turn off the TV posted:

Considering that the OP hasn't posted in this thread for a year or two now I think maybe not.

Hmm ok. Sorry, I've just started poking my head in this thread in the last couple of days as I'm thinking of getting back into the game.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

We could probably use a new OP with the release of yet another expansion, but I don't think that anyone really wants to make one.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I still think next expansion should be Skylines: Street Level.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
I've only got Nightlife and Stadiums. I think I want to get the Mass Transit one because more public transport options sounds cool.

Edit: But I also like Snow, so maybe I want the snow one too? Goddam, I'm gonna end buying all these loving things (and still never playing the game).

Looten Plunder fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Aug 23, 2017

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm curious about DLC too (after also not playing the game much in a long time). I only have After Dark at present; after reading this last page, I was a bit surprised at the negativity towards some of the expansions. Which ones are generally regarded as good, versus ones that aren't?

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I want the snow one just for trams, to be honest.

Shanakin
Mar 26, 2010

The whole point of stats are lost if you keep it a secret. Why Didn't you tell the world eh?
Trams are pretty much the only reason I got it, that and this map:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQjxwbEN22c
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=927334596

Oscar Romeo Romeo
Apr 16, 2010

turn off the TV posted:

And it's begun:

Time to fire up the ol' bird and start playing again.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
What are the practical benefits of districting into industrial specificities? I've got a not-very-big chunk of fertile land on my map, which would imply I should zone it for farming, but I'm lacking the whats-the-point answer. Just a lack of pollution compared to generic industry?

e: also, is there any way to detect where the major to-and-froms are, with regards to traffic, are? Mass Transit in Simcity games was never my strong suit, and having to plan bus lines is a little daunting. The game just popped up a "Use the See Routes button", but didn't bother with actually identifying the See Routes button on my screen.

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Aug 24, 2017

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

MisterBibs posted:

e: also, is there any way to detect where the major to-and-froms are, with regards to traffic, are?
This. I want a tool where I can pick a general area (e.g. circle around where I click) and then see a heatmap of destinations for traffic from the chosen area.
Or pick a stretch of road and see an overview of where everyone comes from/has destination.

Individual agent data are mostly useless, it's the aggregate that's interesting.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

MisterBibs posted:

What are the practical benefits of districting into industrial specificities? I've got a not-very-big chunk of fertile land on my map, which would imply I should zone it for farming, but I'm lacking the whats-the-point answer. Just a lack of pollution compared to generic industry?

e: also, is there any way to detect where the major to-and-froms are, with regards to traffic, are? Mass Transit in Simcity games was never my strong suit, and having to plan bus lines is a little daunting. The game just popped up a "Use the See Routes button", but didn't bother with actually identifying the See Routes button on my screen.

Honestly with buses I don't really bother looking at the traffic (most of its going to be fairly obvious)

That being said, use bus lines for short journeys and subways for longer journeys. My first attempt at this was having a metro that did my residential, commercial and industrial in a loop, then buses at each metro station that did short journeys from the station to the furthest parts of the zone.

I also designed everything in a square the first time I did this because grids are easy to plan for.

Don't underestimate the importance of paths. One small bridge from your residential district edge to your commercial or industrial district edge will also reduce traffic by quite a lot. If it also leads to a bus station, it'll decrease traffic more, as people will be "closer" to a bus station they can walk to, reducing traffic on roads.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Cims are also willing to walk a bit unlike SimCity's lazy rear end citizens, so pedestrian paths and bridges can get a lot of use if they're put in good locations.

Shanakin
Mar 26, 2010

nielsm posted:

This. I want a tool where I can pick a general area (e.g. circle around where I click) and then see a heatmap of destinations for traffic from the chosen area.
Or pick a stretch of road and see an overview of where everyone comes from/has destination.

Individual agent data are mostly useless, it's the aggregate that's interesting.

Err this is literally a vanilla feature now.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Shanakin posted:

Err this is literally a vanilla feature now.

Maybe I should check it out again then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shanakin
Mar 26, 2010

Specifically they largely copied the massively popular mod on steam that lets you select a section of road, and then it will map out all traffic passing through that road, where it comes from and goes to. I think it also colour codes paths for traffic density. Either way it's a very useful tool that makes it very clear where traffic is flowing.

Shanakin fucked around with this message at 11:42 on Aug 24, 2017