Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

i guess yeah.

maaaaan why can't windows not be trash

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

The Management posted:

I have one. I like the touchbar. I hate the keyboard, especially the arrow keys. it runs too hot doing basically nothing and the fans are always spinning on high.

also this:

this weekend I bought a USB-C to USB-A+Ethernet adapter so I can move files to it at non-absurd speeds and also connect my keyboard and mouse.

my retina mbp virtually never has the fans running, so much so that on the few occasions they do run i feel like something bad is happening so i stop doing whatever and get it back to passive cooling. i'd say the fans kick in less than once a week?

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

echinopsis posted:

my retina mbp virtually never has the fans running, so much so that on the few occasions they do run i feel like something bad is happening so i stop doing whatever and get it back to passive cooling. i'd say the fans kick in less than once a week?

ok grandpa but checking your eBay actions is usually not enough to make the laptop start working hard

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

echinopsis posted:

the fans are often running but usually too low for you to hear them. this machine, specifically the 13 incher, gets hotter than most MacBooks I've had when doing very little.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
did they gently caress up the thermal paste again?

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

I really hope not. I actually repaired a powerbook with that issue a few months ago.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer

akadajet posted:

keep the desktop for the games.

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

Wrath of the Bitch King posted:

it's fine, just leave out Danny rand and any involvement he might have with the plot.

all the stuff about The Hand could've been interesting, and almost was, but it just wound up being the worst stuff from the 2nd half of daredevil S2. Scott Glenn's character is awful.

and then throw in Danny Rand aka "Make a Frowny Face and call it acting" and Defenders was just 🙄🤢

i don't understand how taking ancient dragon bones from deep under NYC is gonna make the city collapse

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

turn the settings down on your games and you should be fine

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

Well yeah the idea is I just wanna do light 1080 gaming on the side during the semester and not have to worry about this stupid giant piece of poo poo PC.

it's like a console on my desk with a better library!

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Doc Block posted:

all the stuff about The Hand could've been interesting, and almost was, but it just wound up being the worst stuff from the 2nd half of daredevil S2. Scott Glenn's character is awful.

and then throw in Danny Rand aka "Make a Frowny Face and call it acting" and Defenders was just 🙄🤢

i don't understand how taking ancient dragon bones from deep under NYC is gonna make the city collapse

Load bearing bones

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
My new mbp starts blowing like a jet engine whenever I build or run anything more complex than hello world. There's definitely some heat issues there but honestly the three different USB A to C dongles I need to plug all my poo poo in is a way worse problem.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

ok grandpa but checking your eBay actions is usually not enough to make the laptop start working hard

mate even blender doesn't get it running unless
i'm rendering for a few minutes plus

watching tv and browsing has never done it

playing shenzhen io certainly does tho lol

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

is your laptop full of dust?

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug
does an egpu accelerate the screen of the laptop/desktop in a target display mode over thunderbolt 3 or does it only accelerate external monitors connected directly to the gpu through hdmi or displayport or w/e?

either way it's a neat technology, but it'd be cool as gently caress to smash together a 5k imac with a huge gpu and have a poor man's imac pro

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

I'm not actually sure.
also wait how could you do target display mode if that requires booting to it and you require an OS booted to drive the GPU oh no my rbain is melting

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

SRQ posted:

I'm not actually sure.
also wait how could you do target display mode if that requires booting to it and you require an OS booted to drive the GPU oh no my rbain is melting

idk I figured Apple would have a monitor board capable of accepting a standard displayport signal and it'd get the feed from the thunderbolt cable and just bypass the mac's built-in gpu :shrug:

hell if I know, though

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

SRQ posted:

Well yeah the idea is I just wanna do light 1080 gaming on the side during the semester

Yeah... if you're in college you can find better things to do than play video games. Trust me.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

akadajet posted:

Yeah... if you're in college you can find better things to do than play video games. Trust me.

you can also find worse things to do

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

cinci zoo sniper posted:

you can also find worse things to do

it's a difficult though

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

on the other hand I played a ton of Hitman when I couldn't stomach looking at my masters thesis anymore

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

I have a friend who played wow basically the entirety of his writing time and he's hopelessly behind

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Boiled Water posted:

I have a friend who played wow basically the entirety of his writing time and he's hopelessly behind

this is literally not related to video games

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

cinci zoo sniper posted:

this is literally not related to video games

you're right it a a sign of mental illness or addiction or both

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
I managed to write both my bachelor's and master's thesis whilst playing the occasional video game

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Wheany posted:

I managed to write both my bachelor's and master's thesis whilst playing the occasional video game

sameish

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy
im here to spend student loan money and play video games, and im all out of student loan money :dukedog:

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Boiled Water posted:

is your laptop full of dust?

unlikely, my point was that it virtually never sounds noisy, excpry when playing rhe graphically intensive game shenzen io

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

the only things that kick the fans on my mbp are vmware and anroid stupido

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

THC posted:

the only things that kick the fans on my mbp are vmware and anroid stupido

for me it's the vans.com custom shoe configurator

seriously, I use illustrator and photoshop on it and it doesn't do that

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

how often are you configuring custom shoes

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Endless Mike posted:

frequently

The XKCD Larper
Mar 1, 2009

by Lowtax

Boiled Water posted:

you're right it a a sign of mental illness or addiction or both

Shut up retart.

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

qirex posted:

for me it's the vans.com custom shoe configurator

seriously, I use illustrator and photoshop on it and it doesn't do that

*picture of qirex at a rap concert wearing the ugliest sneakers imaginable*

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Endless Mike posted:

just lol if you don't configure shoes every day

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

just lol if you don't configure shoes every day

the linux of shoes

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

Boiled Water posted:

I dunno why but wow is always a red flag for video game addiction and/or broken people

maybe it's because the game is basically the purest form of a Skinner box, who knows

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

I have this donglehub at work it is p.nice

https://www.amazon.com/Aluminum-Ada...-c+hub+ethernet

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

My Linux Rig posted:

I dunno why but wow is always a red flag for video game addiction and/or broken people

maybe it's because the game is basically the purest form of a Skinner box, who knows

That poo poo becomes 3d excel after the 10th hour

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

That poo poo becomes 3d excel after the 10th hour

Paradox games manage this after the 10th minute.

• Locked thread