Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.

Serf posted:

I'm pretty sure that even Clint didn't understand the point of the final chess game so Griffin probably wanted to really spell it out for everyone listening.

Was Merle supposed to do something in this scene btw? He didn't have the ability to kill John in the meeting room right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serf
May 5, 2011

Colonel Whitey posted:

Was Merle supposed to do something in this scene btw? He didn't have the ability to kill John in the meeting room right?

John explicitly says Merle could kill him, and the Hunger gets angry when he says it. But I don't think Merle killing John would've helped. John was trying to signal to Merle that there was a third option but I don't think Clint picked up on it.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Ariong posted:

But, I don't understand what you mean by evasive/vague. JeffAndrew explicitly stated what he is and what he is doing. What's left unsaid?
To abbreviate: JeffAndrew arrives, indicates he's part of a small team who made all existence and physical/magical laws, but isn't God and won't say his real name. The place they are standing in is a place outside of all existence, and from here all bonds/places can be put back in order (in time) thanks to THB breaking the bonds that the Hunger stole. He also says that the team can't interfere with a world they create, but also that the Light of Creation fell into a world they created, and they couldn't get it back (which doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me?). Also they make worlds for some reason, via guesswork, but not to control them. He is also from another world someone else made, and that person is from another world still, in an apparently infinite chain of causation, of creators/creations (?). It's a little hard to say because Griffin conflates world(s) and existence towards the end. Anyway, against all odds, THB saved the day, good on 'em.

That's it. That's all we're ever going to know. I had a few questions arising from that information, I guess? For one thing, I was hoping that the Light of Creation was something more than a purely straightforward MacGuffin, or that there were more than absentee/incompetent landlords behind curtain (or don't take me behind it at all).

Maybe the answers that are there, are just not particularly deep/fleshed-out enough for my tastes. It's all serviceable enough but I was hoping for more in the big picture; I guess THB were less curious than I was, and that's fine, it's their game/characters.

As a sort of counter example, if you've seen the season finale of The Good Place, that show has an enigmatic group of creators that aren't fully explained to death but the reveal of their true nature, purpose and motivations made that finale way better than it had any right to be. It raised a few further questions but it answered so many of them that were lingering since the debut.

Maybe TTAZZ will help answer some questions, maybe it won't. Once it's up, and if they haven't been answered, maybe I'll post them and see what people think. Overall, it is what it is, and it was pretty good (better than lots of TT campaigns I've seen) but that doesn't mean it's immune to critique either.

Kenny Logins fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Aug 22, 2017

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Norse Code posted:

"Daniel, why aren't you out slingin' pizzas?"

"I SHOT A KID."

Ok nevermind that's probably one of the hardest laughs I ever had in a recent episode

Also the news.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Kenny Logins posted:

He also says that the team can't interfere with a world they create, but also that the Light of Creation fell into a world they created, and they couldn't get it back (which doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me?).

They can't directly interact with a world after its initial creation, so when the Light of Creation somehow ended up inside, they couldn't get it back out. Makes perfect sense to me.

Re: your whole point: I think where we differ on this is that I don't mind only knowing a little bit of what JeffAndrew's deal is. Like, do you really want a more in-depth look at who he is and what his motovations are? Because I straight up do not care about him now that he's done interacting with the people the story is actually about. Just because he created reality doesn't make him interesting, to me.

EDIT: Oh and the bit running throughout the latest MBMBaM is indeed a little suspect, except for the Moneyzone, which is maybe the best oe of all time.

Ariong fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Aug 22, 2017

Enrique Meridian
Mar 29, 2010
I originally scoffed at Griffin's fear of getting bisected by an elevator...but now I realize it's a very rational fear to have.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news...pain/588853001/

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Ariong posted:

They can't directly interact with a world after its initial creation, so when the Light of Creation somehow ended up inside, they couldn't get it back out. Makes perfect sense to me.

Re: your whole point: I think where we differ on this is that I don't mind only knowing a little bit of what JeffAndrew's deal is. Like, do you really want a more in-depth look at who he is and what his motovations are? Because I straight up do not care about him now that he's done interacting with the people the story is actually about. Just because he created reality doesn't make him interesting, to me.
On the former, it's the "somehow" that seems a little cheap to me. But again, plot device, so whatever. Eagles could have flown to Mount Doom.

On the latter, why introduce a new character at the last minute that you don't even find interesting and who isn't fleshed out and properly motivated? It's like I said before, I feel like (isolated from potentially connecting Balance to other campaigns) the scene is dramatically unnecessary. Do it full or not at all IMO.

Never mind that this arc already features two other gods along with what amounts to an incredibly unlikely demigod (Joachim). Hat on a hat.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

Who What Now posted:

Jeff Andrew's real name was Griffin McElroy.

That's all it was, no need to try to get any deeper than that imo. JeffAndrew said he created their world but he doesn't know who created his own world, and he wanted to thank them for the impact they've had on his life.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

Serf posted:

I loved the Dark MBMBAM bit in the latest episode. The bit itself wasn't that funny, but their constant self-corrections were great. That might have been the best Blue Apron ad they've ever done just for Justin's attempt to make up food names.
Yeah, I just finished it, and the relentless imperfect commitment to the bit saved it for me.

"Why would you say this alternate place? It's just where we are."

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Kenny Logins posted:

On the former, it's the "somehow" that seems a little cheap to me. But again, plot device, so whatever. Eagles could have flown to Mount Doom.

On the latter, why introduce a new character at the last minute that you don't even find interesting and who isn't fleshed out and properly motivated? It's like I said before, I feel like (isolated from potentially connecting Balance to other campaigns) the scene is dramatically unnecessary. Do it full or not at all IMO.

Never mind that this arc already features two other gods along with what amounts to an incredibly unlikely demigod (Joachim). Hat on a hat.

Yeah I certainly wouldn't shed any tears if he never existed.

timp posted:

That's all it was, no need to try to get any deeper than that imo. JeffAndrew said he created their world but he doesn't know who created his own world, and he wanted to thank them for the impact they've had on his life.

"My name is Jeff Andrew, but I go by Andy."

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

This week's Awful Squad is going, starting off with a Polygon Duel Contest

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EktQOYx37Yc

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Hockles posted:

This week's Awful Squad is going, starting off with a Polygon Duel Contest

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EktQOYx37Yc

Haha, Griffin currently pulling a Russ by looting a building while the other 7 squad members have a crazy zombie firefight.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

PostNouveau posted:

Haha, Griffin currently pulling a Russ by looting a building while the other 7 squad members have a crazy zombie firefight.

Hate to have a double standard, but Griffin is definitely one of the best PUBG players on the Awful Squad, so if he needs to gear up than it's whatever, y'know? If it happens repeatedly than maybe I'll start having an opinion

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Holy poo poo they were playing against zombies and they found an unnamed human player. They can't figure out who it is or how they got there.

They just named her Player Unknown, lmao

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
They found a survivor :stare:

Jon Irenicus
Apr 23, 2008

YO ASSHOLE

The wiggling zombies are the loving funniest shot.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

I have no idea how that happened, but that is great.

Norse Code
Mar 10, 2007

DON'T AWOO - $350 PENALTY

this is amazing! K-sauce, and a wiggle party!

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

How did that player become human? And also boo at turning to violence in the new post-zombie society they built

Legs Benedict
Jul 14, 2002

You can either follow me to our bedroom or bend over that control throne because I haven't been this turned on in FOREVER!
violence...is the way of Man

creationist believer
Feb 16, 2007

College Slice
Perhaps... we were the real creamers all along

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!
I know its unlikely but I've been secretly hoping Travis showing up in PUBG is a sort of stealth introduction for him to other Polygon content. Because while Monster Factory is already perfect, it'd still be better with him in it.

Jon Irenicus
Apr 23, 2008

YO ASSHOLE

I was the one who knocked down Jakebot, then got downed by Cashley. I think a betrayal happened on my body?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Jon Irenicus posted:

I was the one who knocked down Jakebot, then got downed by Cashley. I think a betrayal happened on my body?

Yeah Simone killed Cashley while he was trying to finish you off with a melee weapon for some reason.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

creationist believer posted:

Perhaps... we were the real creamers all along

You be sure to kill me if I start creamin!

Jon Irenicus
Apr 23, 2008

YO ASSHOLE

PostNouveau posted:

Yeah Simone killed Cashley while he was trying to finish you off with a melee weapon for some reason.

Holy poo poo Griffin ghost mode watched me clear buildings, too. Does this make me stream famous?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Jon Irenicus posted:

Holy poo poo Griffin ghost mode watched me clear buildings, too. Does this make me stream famous?

You're no Kaysauce I'm afraid.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Not Operator posted:

I know its unlikely but I've been secretly hoping Travis showing up in PUBG is a sort of stealth introduction for him to other Polygon content. Because while Monster Factory is already perfect, it'd still be better with him in it.
it's probably more like "This is the only free time Travis has between doing his 30 different podcasts and raising a kid"

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!

Quest For Glory II posted:

it's probably more like "This is the only free time Travis has between doing his 30 different podcasts and raising a kid"

You're fully correct, but goddamned if he replaced Nick somehow.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

How soon we forget My Brother My Brother and ME3

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i've always assumed justin keeps track of how many times travis introduces a new podcast of his at the end of a mbmbam episode and by the time it reaches a certain number, travis gets permanently replaced by charlie

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

Quest For Glory II posted:

i've always assumed justin keeps track of how many times travis introduces a new podcast of his at the end of a mbmbam episode and by the time it reaches a certain number, travis gets permanently replaced by charlie

No until she kicks his rear end.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I mean that's how it would go down. She'd show up at his place, kick his rear end, and then take the mic.

My Brother My Daughter and Me

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
So Justin is the "me" in mbmbam?? I always thought it was griffin

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I mean Justin is the one that says welcome to my brother my brother and me so clearly he is the me!!!

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
All 3 are them me! That's the beauty of it!

e: Can't wait for Charlie's first episode where she walks off-mic almost immediately after giving the advice to just punch the problem away. Justin will lament the monster he's created, Travis will plead just off-mic to get back on the show since Charlie left, and Griffin will just sit back and laugh.

Hargrimm
Sep 22, 2011

W A R R E N
Somewhere I saw Travis saying that all 3 of them remember one of the others being the first to suggest recording a podcast, so they don't even know who the true ME is

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
It's me

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
We are all the me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
It's me, Justin! It was me all along, Justin! Even my immediate family bought it!