Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Rickets posted:

I feel like the majority of the complaints in this thread are hardware/software issues from the so-called major brands and questions wondering when X phone will be supported by Y manufacturer (or, heaven forbid, the carrier).

My suggestion is people get themselves a less unique phone that uses more commonly supported components and is well loved by the modding community.

For example, the Galaxy S3 only received official updates to what, 4.4.4? Over on XDA you can find weekly 7.1.2 LineageOS builds..and it's still supported as an "official" LineageOS device so you can expect the updates to continue.

Unless, y'know, you like letting the carrier or manufacturer tell you when you get to use what software, and how.

This is a terrible idea, fyi.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Rickets posted:

I feel like the majority of the complaints in this thread are hardware/software issues from the so-called major brands and questions wondering when X phone will be supported by Y manufacturer (or, heaven forbid, the carrier).

My suggestion is people get themselves a less unique phone that uses more commonly supported components and is well loved by the modding community.

For example, the Galaxy S3 only received official updates to what, 4.4.4? Over on XDA you can find weekly 7.1.2 LineageOS builds..and it's still supported as an "official" LineageOS device so you can expect the updates to continue.

Unless, y'know, you like letting the carrier or manufacturer tell you when you get to use what software, and how.

Dear readers, don't do this.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Rickets posted:

Yeah, okay, janitoring your phone's system software package.

Life's too short to deal with that poo poo.

FOREVER's too short to deal with that poo poo.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
Aren't the Pixel/Nexus phones also the ones with the most support from XDA?

The Drifter
Apr 21, 2006
Oreo on my Nexus 6P has generally been okay. I have the same issues that's already been brought up (notification drawer is too bright, square icons are horrible, etc.) One issue that I haven't seen brought up is with Bluetooth - up until Oreo, I've been able to see current playing track info on my car display. Since the update I don't see that anymore.

Rickets
Jul 21, 2006

Them's my dancin' knees!

dont be mean to me posted:

CLAM DOWN posted:

This is a terrible idea, fyi.

You guys seem like the kinda guys to take your computer to Geek Squad

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

dont be mean to me posted:

So just suffer with a version of your OS that was out of date when it was released, got maybe 1 or 2 updates and has been since forgotten even though its not even a year old?

Most custom OS's have their own OTA update notification and it's a single button process to download and update it, exactly the same amount of effort as an Official OTA.

If you never want to Janitor your phone ever, why in the world would you get an Android over an iPhone?

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Rickets posted:

No, they're the kinda guys to buy phones that ~ just work ~ out of the box instead of buying a shitheap and janitoring it themselves.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Incessant Excess posted:

Aren't the Pixel/Nexus phones also the ones with the most support from XDA?

P much. Fwiw I have run lineage for a while now and there is no way I would recommend it to a normie

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

EdEddnEddy posted:

why in the world would you get an Android over an iPhone?

fixed your question and here are the only answers:

1. You're extremely poor
2. You're extremely autistic
3. Both 1 & 2

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer
Damnit grandma, I told you that ADB still isn't perfect on Windows and I specifically told you to use the Linux virtual machine I left on your PC to update your phone. Here. Give it here. Give it to me. No, don't worry, I'll fix it. I'll write down how I do it on a Post-It so you don't forget next time.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Endless Mike posted:

I love manually installing an OS update weekly.

Most of the major custom OS forks haven't required doing any extra manual work after the initial install. If people have had to then they're likely using a lovely custom rom as it is (for what they're worth anyways). Not only that but you could choose between nightlies, weeklies, and milestones. Even back in 2012 when they were hot poo poo Cyanogenmod never required any manual janitoring outside of getting TWRP and the rom initially installed. After that you just use it like you would any other device. Not sure where the idea of "constant janitoring" comes from honestly.

This argument has been brought up so many times, but it really depends on how much you want you want to stick with your device after EOL and for many it wasn't long after the devices were even released, and that still seems to be happening in TYOOL 2017. Most people ITT aren't ones to janitor this phone or even recommend it, because the good phones don't require that to work. The Pixel is going to be the closest thing you get to a iPhone-like experience where everything Just Works and the Moto budget phones are pretty good too for what they're worth.

I see where Rickets is coming from but it's on a user to user basis when they think it might be time to explore custom solutions rather than just buying a new device or hoping a manufacturer or carrier gets an update.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

When did the Axon 7, and G5+ become shitheaps?

Sure they are nice and work out of the box, but 6-12 months from now when they are still capable hardware without ever getting another OEM OS or Security update? Just throw it away for the next $300 phone because its cheap and good and has a more modern (yet still terribly out of date) OS on it?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Rickets posted:

Lmao gently caress off, I just buy good phones that work well instead of pieces of poo poo that have to be janitored how you describe to work.

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

cage-free egghead posted:

Not sure where the idea of "constant janitoring" comes from honestly.

It comes from the janitorial manual labor you'll be performing as a second job to make ends meet after a script kiddie empties your bank account because you were dumb enough to install a third party os on the smartphone your entire personal life is on and knows where you are at all times.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

EdEddnEddy posted:

When did the Axon 7, and G5+ become shitheaps?

Sure they are nice and work out of the box, but 6-12 months from now when they are still capable hardware without ever getting another OEM OS or Security update? Just throw it away for the next $300 phone because its cheap and good and has a more modern (yet still terribly out of date) OS on it?

G5+ isn't a shitheap and I absolutely recommend it to anyone not spending Pixel or iPhone money on phones.

But if you have to install LineageOS on an Axon 7 to get it to work right, as Rickets is implying, then maybe it's a shitheap. Who knows.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Asymmetric POSTer posted:

It comes from the janitorial manual labor you'll be performing as a second job to make ends meet after a script kiddie empties your bank account because you were dumb enough to install a third party os on the smartphone your entire personal life is on and knows where you are at all times.

I really would like to see the source for this sort of fear.

This excuse has never been valid coming from XDA, however, it has been valid coming from the more budget friendly OEM's even recently. Funny that.

Rickets
Jul 21, 2006

Them's my dancin' knees!

CLAM DOWN posted:

Lmao gently caress off, I just buy good phones that work well instead of pieces of poo poo that have to be janitored how you describe to work.

I mean, first of all, you're a real Martin Skreli-typed motherfucker hating on the people who clean up your poo poo. What's wrong with janitors? Without them you'd have to clean up after yourself!

Ignoring the fact that you don't have to do anything to an Axon 7 to use it out of the box, what good phones do you suggest people buy that don't have their fair share of problems? A bootlooping Nexus? An exploding Galaxy Note? A Pixel with a defective microphone?

Rickets
Jul 21, 2006

Them's my dancin' knees!

nimper posted:

But if you have to install LineageOS on an Axon 7 to get it to work right, as Rickets is implying, then maybe it's a shitheap. Who knows.

If you want to find the part where I at all implied this was necessary and not an added bonus, you can go ahead and quote me and we can all laugh at how dumb I am.

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Rickets posted:

I mean, first of all, you're a real Martin Skreli-typed motherfucker hating on the people who clean up your poo poo. What's wrong with janitors? Without them you'd have to clean up after yourself!

Ignoring the fact that you don't have to do anything to an Axon 7 to use it out of the box, what good phones do you suggest people buy that don't have their fair share of problems? A bootlooping Nexus? An exploding Galaxy Note? A Pixel with a defective microphone?

Janitors are cool and it's a chill gig if it pays decently enough.

The ones at my office are neurotypical enough to have iPhones.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Rickets posted:

Oh my god are you for loving real?

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Rickets posted:

If you want to find the part where I at all implied this was necessary and not an added bonus, you can go ahead and quote me and we can all laugh at how dumb I am.

Maybe things have changed but back in 2012 you had to install Cyanogenmod on carrier phones because they were all broken out of the box in some way or another.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Asymmetric POSTer posted:

Constant janitoring used to be the pro way of owning and operating an IBM-compatible personal computer. That mindset is still around.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Rickets posted:

Hush please and stop giving bad advice. Yes, all phones have some sort of issue. No, you don't improve on this by installing custom roms.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Man this sounds like an apple convention.

Tinkering with things is fine and doesn't mean you're an idiot. Thanks for listening.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Rickets posted:

Hahaha what the gently caress I seriously hope you're a gimmick account. The advice you gave is poo poo, you monstrous goober.

PerrineClostermann posted:

Man this sounds like an apple convention.

Tinkering with things is fine and doesn't mean you're an idiot. Thanks for listening.

"Tinker with things if you want" != "I recommend you buy a lesser-known, community-supported so you can load LineageOS on it."

sleepwalkers fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Aug 22, 2017

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

A Bad King posted:

LG is so bad that three out of three devices I've seen so far have some sort of manufacturing defect. Returned. got my money back. Never again. What can or should I buy for ~$500?

-iPhone 6s Plus
-Mate 9
-OP5
-Axon 7
-Nexus 6p

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

There's nothing wrong with "janitoring" your phone handheld computer if you want it to do something that it doesn't do out of the box or even if you just enjoy that sort of thing.

If you need to on a regular basis, something has gone terribly wrong with your phone, and if you start looking down on people who don't want to (because, largely, you don't need to) then then something has gone terribly wrong with you.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
I can see the argument for jumping into the quagmire of custom OS installs when your phone is no longer supported officially.

Suggesting it as a path to take from day one with a new device is outdated, at best.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Rickets posted:

If you're implying all phones have serious defects, then why would you not buy a phone based on the quality of the official support?

EdEddnEddy posted:

Why not spend double that on a phone that that will be officially supported more than double the time? There are options that prevent you from spending it all upfront, if that's an issue.

Remember, spending less money on something and investing your time into it to make it better is only a good idea if the added value to the thing is worth more than the value of your time and effort.
Phones with custom OSes are only a good deal if you don't value your time.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

RZA Encryption posted:

I consider my hobbies a reasonably valuable use of my time, though they're largely that because I don't feel obliged to do them.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

RZA Encryption posted:

Remember, spending less money on something and investing your time into it to make it better is only a good idea if the added value to the thing is worth more than the value of your time and effort.

I love how this always comes up as if value is an objective thing. Nobody needs a lesson on the ROI of a cellphone or their hobbies and interests lol

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

quote:

okcupid.com/phonefcker69

Hobbies and Interests
-------------------------------------

Just the usual, netflix, board games, flashing the latest build of Android to my 6 phones, 3 tablets, and 2 streaming devices.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

cage-free egghead posted:

Nobody needs a lesson on the ROI of a cellphone or their hobbies and interests lol

I question this.

I mean, I've often nerded out about stuff before and then later thought "why the hell did I spend so much time on that?"

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Don't doxx me.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

sleepwalkers posted:

"Tinker with things if you want" != "I recommend you buy a lesser-known, community-supported so you can load LineageOS on it."

I read it as "Buying a well-supported and popular phone means you have lots of options once official support ends, or if you want to tinker with it."
Not "You shouldn't buy an iphone, but a Huawei Whatever and flash Cyanomod on it, it's better"
Looking back, the post is explicitly stating not to buy lesser-known phones. It's telling you to buy more well known ones.

Shaming someone for pointing out that common, popular devices often get decent community support long after the manufacturer stops releasing updates and patches is weird, and feels like people are trying to project hatred for XDA scriptkiddies who replaced a few backgrounds and called it a l337 R0M onto other goons.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
Pull up thread

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Thermopyle posted:

I question this.

I mean, I've often nerded out about stuff before and then later thought "why the hell did I spend so much time on that?"

Sure, but that still doesn't discredit the folks who don't mind doing that stuff. I don't miss late nights unfucking my Nexus 4 because I flashed the wrong recovery but I definitely don't regret it because it came in handy with friends wanted me to help them out with their lovely Android phones. It made me a lot more conscious when buying my next 50 phones or whatever hotsauce-number I'm up to.

The rooted thread is dying but it's not exactly dead so there is a segment of people who must either desperately seek their phones to work or ones who don't mind fiddling with them. Again, you can translate this sort of stuff over to other hobbies too. I always ask a car guy why on earth they enjoy tinkering with cars but I've been asked why I like technology so

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Pull up thread

I wouldn't say this thread is careening into anything that it hasn't before. This isn't anywhere near as annoying as the monthly sd card debates.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Well, we could go back to just raving over the Pixel again. I just got the Oreo update on my XL, and I'm not sure how to mess with PIP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

i have no problem with enthusiasts installing custom roms and tinkering around with their phones, but its not something youd recommend to anyone, ever.

ive never personally done it, fwiw.