Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

OTO Melera's 76mm's on a lot of CG and Navy ships (maybe not anymore) use magnetic tape drives for fire control, like you'd have to write the firing poo poo to the tape then run it through the gun to make it go boom boom. Of course my ship had an 8-track player in the wardroom...so...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

640k ought to be enough for anybody

Hauldren Collider
Dec 31, 2012

bengy81 posted:

The 68008 is 8MHZ??? If I remember correctly. I think it was developed in the late 70's or early 80's, and it was slow when it was introduced.

Something like that. It's so old and so slow that, if I recall correctly, you can actually program its whole architecture onto an FPGA and run it at a higher clock speed, which is why I'm totally baffled that they're still using them. It's not like it's hard to emulate in software, either. I literally have a TI-89 emulator app on my phone (because I'm a giant dork).

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002
Boxer still had some ancient UYK 20 (or 43, don't remember) in a room off combat in 2008.

Not sure if it was even still in use, but that was a lot of dead weight to carry around if it wasn't.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

Laranzu posted:

Boxer still had some ancient UYK 20 (or 43, don't remember) in a room off combat in 2008.

Not sure if it was even still in use, but that was a lot of dead weight to carry around if it wasn't.

My last ship was an FFG whose whole combat suite was built around UYK-7's. One of the troubleshooting steps for a loss of the UYK-7 was to remove it's CCA drawer, hold it at, "approximately shoulder height," and drop it straight down to the deck.

No I'm not joking.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

ManMythLegend posted:

My last ship was an FFG whose whole combat suite was built around UYK-7's. One of the troubleshooting steps for a loss of the UYK-7 was to remove it's CCA drawer, hold it at, "approximately shoulder height," and drop it straight down to the deck.

No I'm not joking.

The kinetic re-rack is an ancient, but effective repair procedure.

LordNad
Nov 18, 2002

HEY BAD GUYS, THIS IS THE VICE PRESIDENT, PLEASE DON'T KILL HIM!

ManMythLegend posted:

No I'm not joking.

Based on what I've seen my inflight technician do, this doesn't surprise me in the slightest. Our acoustic system was mostly fixed by pulling cards and doing the Nintendo Blow.

slorb
May 14, 2002
There's a very long and detailed and at times weirdly interesting essay on the early development of computers in US navy ships at

http://ethw.org/First-Hand:No_Damned_Computer_is_Going_to_Tell_Me_What_to_DO_-_The_Story_of_the_Naval_Tactical_Data_System,_NTDS

Thanks for this thread, its really neat to read your perspectives.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Hauldren Collider posted:

A Pentium 4 has more processing power, by several orders of magnitude, than the processors being described here (if I understand correctly). For example the Motorola 68008 is the cheaper version of what's in a TI-89. The TI-89 is 12 MHz. A Pentium 4 gets up to 3 GHz. And that's just clock speed.

While part of it is the 10 year cycle it takes for the military to get anything, another part is the EMP hardening that they put these through. Yeah, its an 8008, but chances are its a hardened 8008.

LordNad
Nov 18, 2002

http://imgur.com/a/WjpXF

Behold the Lite Brite!

The last time I remember ATs trying to get one of these to boot up, it caught fire.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

LordNad posted:

Behold the Lite Brite!

The last time I remember ATs trying to get one of these to boot up, it caught fire.

It's looks like a single bay uyk7.

LordNad
Nov 18, 2002

I always assumed you had way better gear on the ship.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

LordNad posted:

I always assumed you had way better gear on the ship.

Depends on the platform. Some ships have been in service for 35+ years and haven't gone through modernization. Even the cruisers that went through cruiser mod couldn't replace everything and still have some older systems.

You'd be surprised at what you could do with uyk7s or uyk43s though.

bengy81
May 8, 2010
I wonder if I could still cold load one from memory?
Probably not, but I'm sure I could get it to lock up just like old times!

LordNad
Nov 18, 2002

PneumonicBook posted:

Depends on the platform. Some ships have been in service for 35+ years and haven't gone through modernization. Even the cruisers that went through cruiser mod couldn't replace everything and still have some older systems.

You'd be surprised at what you could do with uyk7s or uyk43s though.

I went through the fit when P3s got link 16 in like 2010. I was informed surface fleet had it since the 90s. Since then I just assumed you guys had all Gucci poo poo.

They hosed up with the P8 badly. The P3 can fly without the computer and it's only marginally less capable. Without the computer, the P8 is a brick. You can't use any mission systems.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

vulturesrow posted:

Nah standard play here is to double down on your previous answer. Oh, I'm sure they'll mandate an "operational pause" or other such nonsense. But they won't admit there are serious, systemic issues in the surface navy.

Nailed it. :smugdog:

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

LordNad posted:

Behold the Lite Brite!

That'd fit in on an E-3. Those 1960s computers are slowly being replaced, a couple of jets per year. The reel-to-reel "hard drive" was replaced by a reel-to-reel emulator in the late 90s, that's the only real computer upgrade it's had since 1971 until the current block upgrade.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.
From what can see coming down the pike I wouldn't be so fast to say the won't be some major changes to the SWO community. Stand by for heavy rolls I think. I'm not sure if it will be enough to address all of the issues though.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

ManMythLegend posted:

From what can see coming down the pike I wouldn't be so fast to say the won't be some major changes to the SWO community. Stand by for heavy rolls I think. I'm not sure if it will be enough to address all of the issues though.

Yeah I was more referring to the operational pause piece, which really wasn't that hard of a prediction tbh. I hope you are right because I want it to be better for all my SWO buddies, especially the ones that are trying to make things better, but I'm certainly not holding my breath.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
Hey you're on leave? We are calling you because you need go update NFAAS. No why would we check to see if you did it already when the email was sent out from admin three weeks ago, what email? :)

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
My suggestion. Grab a bunch of submarine O-3 who have no preconceptions about what surface life is supposed to be like, have them spend a week on a ship, observing watchstanding and auditing maintenance & paperwork, and write up reports on what they saw. That outside persepextive will notice some critical flaws. I'd guarantee it. Identify those flaws then a few months later come back and use the same system to go shop by ship and retrain and audit.

Signs of issues:

"That wouldn't work because subs aren't swos"
"That only works for submarines because they have small crew sizes"
"I don't want to have ORSE equivalents on my ship that's too much work"

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

M_Gargantua posted:

My suggestion. Grab a bunch of submarine O-3 who have no preconceptions about what surface life is supposed to be like, have them spend a week on a ship

Ok but at the end of it how do you trick them to going back to their underwater fart coffin?

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Blackchamber posted:

Ok but at the end of it how do you trick them to going back to their underwater fart coffin?

Because Sub life it turns out is way better than being a scrub on a destroyer dealing with extra dumb sailors.

Sub life is great

LordNad
Nov 18, 2002

Godholio posted:

That'd fit in on an E-3. Those 1960s computers are slowly being replaced, a couple of jets per year. The reel-to-reel "hard drive" was replaced by a reel-to-reel emulator in the late 90s, that's the only real computer upgrade it's had since 1971 until the current block upgrade.

Good lord and I thought P-3s were ancient.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

M_Gargantua posted:

My suggestion. Grab a bunch of submarine O-3 who have no preconceptions about what surface life is supposed to be like, have them spend a week on a ship, observing watchstanding and auditing maintenance & paperwork, and write up reports on what they saw. That outside persepextive will notice some critical flaws. I'd guarantee it. Identify those flaws then a few months later come back and use the same system to go shop by ship and retrain and audit.

Signs of issues:

"That wouldn't work because subs aren't swos"
"That only works for submarines because they have small crew sizes"
"I don't want to have ORSE equivalents on my ship that's too much work"

Id almost rather leave the SWO Navy the way it is rather than turn them into a bunch of submariners.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
They had a stand down, things will be fine :)

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

vulturesrow posted:

Id almost rather leave the SWO Navy the way it is rather than turn them into a bunch of submariners.

Ya because following procedures is sure a hassle!

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

vulturesrow posted:

Like skimmers would be able to even get close to being submariners.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

M_Gargantua posted:

Because Sub life it turns out is way better than being a scrub on a destroyer dealing with extra dumb sailors.

Sub life is great

[Citation needed]

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Boon posted:

[Citation needed]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stockholm_syndrome

LordNad
Nov 18, 2002

LordNad posted:

I should loving hope so. This is the fourth destroyer collision in 7th fleet this year. There needs to be a fundamental shift in how we do business out there, and it's not gonna happen unless a few stars get rolled under the bus.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/u-s-navy-to-relieve-admiral-of-command-after-collisions-1503448987

Called part of it :smugdog:

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

can you c/p it's paywalled

buttplug
Aug 28, 2004
I did my first DIVO tour on a DDG in Yoko. As a prior SWO, who has been outside of the community now longer than I've been in it, I see a couple things that were systemic issues back then, several of which still are:

- SWO culture is inherently toxic and breeds miscommunication and herd mentality. "The way we've always done it". People readily identify this, yet the surface community seems to be the absolute loving worst with this poo poo.
- We have barely-qualified JOs teaching other boot JOs.
- People pencil-whipping PQS and quals, gundecking maintenance, and practically handing SWO pins to shitbags on their way down the brow to keep the COs qualification percentage up. I know that's not every command, but it's not all that uncommon.
- Overall OPTEMP in FNDF and wearing one's lack of sleep as a badge of honor. YMMV from ship to ship, but in 09-11 when I was there some of the BMD shooters shouldered an inordinate amount of the load. The lovely, broke-dick ships that couldn't perform were "rewarded" with port visits while the ships that constantly jumped through their rear end to qualify got shafted.

Totally realize some of these may not have contributed to FTZ/JSM's collisions, but from the perspective of someone who stood a lot of deck watch in C7F, those were things that stuck out most in my mind. Sounds like JSM was at restricted maneuvering and had a full watch team in place. As for FTZ, there's really, truly no excuse for the piss-poor watchstanding between TAO/OOD and the ~dozen or so people who should have had SA of the situation...just my two cents.

LordNad
Nov 18, 2002

WASHINGTON—The U.S. Navy plans to remove the commander of the fleet that has suffered four recent collisions in Asia and the deaths of several sailors, U.S. officials said Tuesday.

Navy officials declined to comment. But two U.S. officials familiar with the matter said that Vice Adm. Joseph Aucoin, the three-star commander of the U.S. Seventh Fleet in Yokosuka, Japan, will be relieved of command on Wednesday in connection with four collisions since January, including two fatal ones.

Vice Adm. Aucoin was expected to retire in coming weeks, but under the Navy’s tradition of public accountability, commanders or ship captains are dismissed as soon as their superiors lose confidence in their leadership.

His expected removal—by the commander of U.S. Pacific Fleet, Adm. Scott Swift —doesn’t represent a specific finding of fault against Vice Adm. Aucoin. Navy officials are investigating the role that training, manning and other internal fleet processes may have played in the collisions.

The Navy said Monday that it would impose a rare operational pause across the globe following the accidents, all within the 7th Fleet’s waters.

Those include the collision on Monday of the destroyer USS John S. McCain with a commercial vessel, the Alnic MC, as the McCain headed for a port visit in Singapore. A search and rescue operation had been under way for 10 missing sailors. Navy officials said Tuesday that some remains have been found but that the operations continues.

That accident followed the destroyer USS Fitzgerald’s June 17 collision with another commercial ship, killing seven sailors.

The Navy said last week that the Fitzgerald’s commanding officer, the ship’s executive officer and the senior enlisted sailor on the ship all had been relieved of their command. The cause of the two fatal collisions are unknown and investigations continue into each, defense officials said.

Two other accidents within the U.S. Seventh Fleet’s area of responsibility occurred earlier this year. In May, the guided missile cruiser USS Lake Champlain collided with a South Korean fishing vessel, and in January, another cruiser, the USS Antietam, ran aground near its port in Yokosuka.

Vice Adm. Aucoin, a fighter pilot, received his commission in 1980 through the University of North Carolina Naval Reserve Officers' Training Corps program there, and was designated a naval flight officer the next year. He served on a number of aircraft carriers as a pilot and as a commander and held other jobs at the Pentagon. He became Seventh Fleet commander in September 2015, according to the Navy.

buttplug
Aug 28, 2004
That means DESRON 15 is getting poo poo-canned, as well... What about CSG5 CDR?

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

I've asked family as well, but want to ask the thread: what is it that drives the culture differences between sub and surface service?

I'm aware this is a very broad question.

buttplug
Aug 28, 2004

Potato Salad posted:

I've asked family as well, but want to ask the thread: what is it that drives the culture differences between sub and surface service?

Well, the sub community has a nearly two-year long training pipeline with an ~80% attrition rate, for starters. The SWO community has some great folks, but it has also become a harbor-haven for fallen angels and washouts from other communities. You have a lot of people who don't want to be there (and are bitter about it) and folks who are just plain too dumb to function anywhere else.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
Hang all stars.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Potato Salad posted:

Submarines operate in an inherently hostile environment, and as a consequence people on those boats actually give a poo poo. About a third of the crew on any submarine is also going to be comprised of Nukes, who are heavily monitored, constantly drilled, and extensively trained. These qualities set a standard that gets discreetly distributed through the ship through poo poo talk, qual rates, awards etc. Etc, though generally the non-nuke crew members are often some of the best at their jobs anyway.

Beyond that it's an all volunteer force within an all volunteer navy. No one is there that didn't ask for it. Even the shittiest submariner can generally be relied upon to take action in the face of any given ships casualty. As far as I understand that is not a standard reflected in the surface Navy. That every Submarine officer is also nuclear qualified and you have the makings of a command climate that is risk adverse, serious about supervisory roles, and willing to do what's necessary to make sure that people are trained to do things the right way and only the right way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
Every evolution on a sub goes by a checklist. There is a book that has the exact guidelines for everything from making a pb&j sandwich, flushing a toilet, and how to properly close a watertight hatch like in the sail or weapons loading hatch (main entry/exit in port). Nearly everything has oversight. If you get caught loving with the system you get right properly hosed for it.

Oh and constant drills & training. Even while on watch in sonar we practiced poo poo like TMA and memorizing screw/blade and tonals various subs put out.

The only time we did not do drills was when we were doing special stuff during westpac. And there are some skippers that even run drills during those times.