Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

Please let us know the questions employers should ask that only determine good hires from bad hires without unduly affecting any possible class of people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

ohgodwhat posted:

Please let us know the questions employers should ask that only determine good hires from bad hires without unduly affecting any possible class of people.

"As an HR professional who we hired to help us figure this out, what do you think is the best way forward?"

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon

Pollyanna posted:

There are plenty of job opportunities, sure, but only a certain subset of those are good jobs that lead to the advancement and productivity you're looking at.

Not in my experience. There may be guaranteed-incredible opportunities out there, but I've never had one. I have had a lot of good jobs that let me work with some great coworkers and do fun things. I suspect the vast majority of jobs are middle of the road, and, to be a cliche, you'll get out you what you put in.

It's a matter of taking charge of things that matter to you. If you're hired to update Wordpress sites, you can choose to just update Wordpress sites, or you can update Wordpress sites, install source control, and update the templates to HTML5. Even if your current bosses shoot you down, you'll have that experience of creating a proof-of-concept for your ideas, and future interviewers will appreciate your gumption.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

JawnV6 posted:

It's cool that this is an abstract exercise that you don't give a poo poo about, but I was exactly mirroring your "less candidates THEY WOULD WANT" language. Like can I at least get a good faith reading? Eliminating the pool of working parents tosses out more good than bad. I didn't say "less candidates total" like you're implying here.

Just to be clear, I always try to read others with the principle of charity. The mistake I thought it was possible you were making seems like an actual reasonable mistake a person could make.

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

BOY DO I SURE ENJOY TRASH. THERE'S NOTHING MORE I LOVE THAN TO SIT DOWN IN FRONT OF THE BIG SCREEN AND EAT A BIIIIG STEAMY BOWL OF SHIT. WARNER BROS CAN COME OVER TO MY HOUSE AND ASSFUCK MY MOM WHILE I WATCH AND I WOULD CERTIFY IT FRESH, NO QUESTION

JawnV6 posted:

It's cool that this is an abstract exercise that you don't give a poo poo about, but I was exactly mirroring your "less candidates THEY WOULD WANT" language. Like can I at least get a good faith reading? Eliminating the pool of working parents tosses out more good than bad. I didn't say "less candidates total" like you're implying here.

They're only trying to hire one dev. If one good dev's resume still makes it to their desk then what's the problem, from their point of view?

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

a hot gujju bhabhi posted:

They're only trying to hire one dev. If one good dev's resume still makes it to their desk then what's the problem, from their point of view?

Well, there could be a better dev. Or they could chuck out good devs and accidentally end up with a turkey.

I'm not convinced most people have a surfeit of good devs at any level of actual experience to be honest, I dunno about new grads where there's nothing much to go on.

Vincent Valentine
Feb 28, 2006

Murdertime

InevitableCheese posted:

This'll probably sound really stupid but what are the chances of programming being automated and the field shrinking to non-existence within the next few decades? Reading books on A.I. and the Singularity make my shower thoughts go wild, especially now that i just got into the field.

I think that even if we get a super smart, problem solving ai, which is not likely anytime soon, developer jobs will just move to interfacing with those a.I. You know how in video games like mass effect and whatnot, it's always one guy talking to Computer™? That's because if product managers were the ones talking to it, it would kill itself after trying to discern what the gently caress the pm means by "more engaging. You know, like, make it pop." For the thirteenth time. Can you imagine being a flawless person, interpreting things precisely with no error, and still being told you're wrong all the time?

In short, the industry is still strong, don't worry. And if we do end up being replaced by computers, it'll be far enough away that we can all retire.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

InevitableCheese posted:

This'll probably sound really stupid but what are the chances of programming being automated and the field shrinking to non-existence within the next few decades? Reading books on A.I. and the Singularity make my shower thoughts go wild, especially now that i just got into the field.

Check out what happened to Moores Law lately . Besides if there is a Singularity we are all equally hosed/blessed regardless of profession.

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

BOY DO I SURE ENJOY TRASH. THERE'S NOTHING MORE I LOVE THAN TO SIT DOWN IN FRONT OF THE BIG SCREEN AND EAT A BIIIIG STEAMY BOWL OF SHIT. WARNER BROS CAN COME OVER TO MY HOUSE AND ASSFUCK MY MOM WHILE I WATCH AND I WOULD CERTIFY IT FRESH, NO QUESTION

feedmegin posted:

Well, there could be a better dev. Or they could chuck out good devs and accidentally end up with a turkey.

I'm not convinced most people have a surfeit of good devs at any level of actual experience to be honest, I dunno about new grads where there's nothing much to go on.

You're operating off gut feel in your own opinion as much as they are. This is just one of many strategies hiring people try to get the best candidate. Don't like it? Apply somewhere else, you probably wouldn't have liked the work anyway.

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

last year i rewrote something awful from scratch because i hate myself
How important do you guys think time spent as previous job is in getting hired?

Is it that much of a stigma if someone was at their dev job for 9 months but was interviewing elsewhere

Because that's my situation now and i'm not really feeling shy about applying to as many jobs as possible (despite getting close to no interviews)

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me

ohgodwhat posted:

The whole current interview process we have is an obfuscated IQ test. The goal is to higher intelligent, hard working people. What else could you want? IQ and personality tests would accomplish this, but that's illegal, so we have this stupid game we play where we try to hide this fact from ourselves.

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Skandranon posted:

The whole current interview process we have is an obfuscated IQ test. The goal is to higher intelligent, hard working people. What else could you want? IQ and personality tests would accomplish this, but that's illegal, so we have this stupid game we play where we try to hide this fact from ourselves.

And if you crack the coding interview...game the system... study your foundational CS topics, that sick Google job is yours.

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Skandranon posted:

I haven't seen much overlap from 'higher intelligence' and 'hard working' in my experience.

Hargrimm
Sep 22, 2011

W A R R E N
Both IQ and personality 'tests' are 80% bullshit and 100% non-predictive of anyone's actual real-world productivity or culture fit.

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

Skandranon posted:

In the US, there is nothing illegal about using IQ tests in hiring. It's illegal to use one with disparate impact against protected classes, but there are plenty of well-known abstract intelligence tests that don't lean on whether someone can complete "jockey is to polo as oarsman is to..."

The problem is that IQ tests have demonstrated pretty limited predictive power for whether someone's going to be a good employee.

(I won't even get into the pseudoscientific garbage that is "personality testing," but some employers use that, too)

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Considering the sheer amount of "I didn't need to study in school so I never developed any kind of work discipline" types I'm not sure filtering by intelligence is a good idea. :v:

InevitableCheese
Jul 10, 2015

quite a pickle you've got there

Hargrimm posted:

Both IQ and personality 'tests' are 80% bullshit and 100% non-predictive of anyone's actual real-world productivity or culture fit.

This rings true from what I've experienced. I had a manager that I got along with great, and our corp had us complete at least three different personality tests to help influence managerial methods. On every one of them we were the exact opposite types, that should have had the most conflict, but we've never had any trouble.

gmq posted:

Considering the sheer amount of "I didn't need to study in school so I never developed any kind of work discipline" types I'm not sure filtering by intelligence is a good idea. :v:

God, this was me for the longest time, but when I graduated I had such a hard time getting a job it kicked my rear end into gear.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Grump posted:

How important do you guys think time spent as previous job is in getting hired?

Is it that much of a stigma if someone was at their dev job for 9 months but was interviewing elsewhere

Because that's my situation now and i'm not really feeling shy about applying to as many jobs as possible (despite getting close to no interviews)

Based on the first few weeks at my new job, I might be in a similar situation soon. Of course, I don't have any wiggle room to take time off to interview, so maybe not!

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I'm hoping to double my time spent per job each time I change. 1, 2, 4, 8, etc. Up to a reasonable limit of course.

I sure as gently caress don't feel like jobs these days are stable enough for that, though. Especially if you're a vulnerable employee like a minority, older, or remote.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

Gildiss posted:

I haven't seen much overlap from 'higher intelligence' and 'hard working' in my experience.

There isn't one, but 'hard working' is near impossible to test for in the short term. IQ is easily tested.

Space Gopher posted:

The problem is that IQ tests have demonstrated pretty limited predictive power for whether someone's going to be a good employee.

All other things being equal, you definitely want someone of higher IQ. IQ is the best predictor of long term success in life. Working hard is the 2nd best predictor.

reversefungi
Nov 27, 2003

Master of the high hat!
So now that I'm wading into the waters of employment seeking, I got contacted by my first external recruiter. From reading these forums it seems that they're pretty resented more often than not. What are the kind of warning signs I should be looking for? Very new to all this, and feeling equal parts trepidation and excitement.

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

Skandranon posted:

All other things being equal, you definitely want someone of higher IQ. IQ is the best predictor of long term success in life. Working hard is the 2nd best predictor.

Hmm, yes a test that discriminates against people who aren't rich white males is an accurate predictor of people being rich white males. Lol.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Skandranon posted:

There isn't one, but 'hard working' is near impossible to test for in the short term.

Nah, that's the homework thing that's becoming popular. It's another filter that's easier to pass if you don't have a life but less unreasonable than having projects.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

ohgodwhat posted:

Hmm, yes a test that discriminates against people who aren't rich white males is an accurate predictor of people being rich white males. Lol.

Not sure where "rich white male" came into this, but what else do you want in employees other than them being intelligent and hard working? Maybe I'm the weird one, but I definitely don't want unintelligent lazy employees. I'm perfectly willing to believe "not-rich", "not-white", "not-male" people can be intelligent and hard working.

Skandranon fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Aug 23, 2017

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun
IQ is an awful measure of intelligence.

Also an awful predictor of success in life but let's stick to the basics now.

Hargrimm
Sep 22, 2011

W A R R E N

Skandranon posted:

Not sure where "rich white male" came into this, but what else do you want in employees other than them being intelligent and hard working? Maybe I'm the weird one, but I definitely don't want unintelligent lazy employees. I'm perfectly willing to believe "not-rich", "not-white", "not-male" people can be intelligent and hard working.

The problem is you're buying into two assumptions: That IQ tests are magically accurate, unbiased indicators of intelligence and that the kind of intelligence that IQ tests are supposed to indicate is directly proportional to one's skill as a developer. Neither of those things is true.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

Skandranon posted:

IQ tests are biased as measures of intelligence so as soon as you start using them as a measure of intelligence you introduce bias.

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)
IQ tests aren't the ideal -- they were tweaked to even out the average score between men and women after original attempts created an intelligence test that men did better on. It's probably better to use something like the math section of the SAT.

Also IQ tests are stable over time for individuals so it's measuring a real thing. It's not like your score for 18 holes of golf.

Also IQ tests are biased in favor of minorities as long as you pick smart minorities like the Chinese, Ashkenazis, or Mensa members.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

Yeah, you might say they're unfit for the purpose of a universal measure of intelligence because they are.

E: and i'd put money on the score not being stable when plotted against hours since subject last ate

Munkeymon fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Aug 23, 2017

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

Ah, the "smart minorities"

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

sarehu posted:

IQ tests aren't the ideal -- they were tweaked to even out the average score between men and women after original attempts created an intelligence test that men did better on. It's probably better to use something like the math section of the SAT.

Also IQ tests are stable over time for individuals so it's measuring a real thing. It's not like your score for 18 holes of golf.

Also IQ tests are biased in favor of minorities as long as you pick smart minorities like the Chinese, Ashkenazis, or Mensa members.

I feel like you're one step away from writing a manifesto

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)
Yeah, about how golf tournaments should be 144 holes over 4 days so that they're more of an athletic contest but also to reduce the effect of luck in deciding the winner.

Hargrimm
Sep 22, 2011

W A R R E N

sarehu posted:

Also IQ tests are stable over time for individuals

Nope. They tested Indian farmers who sell their harvest once a year. The month after payday they did ~10 points better on IQ tests than the month before payday the next year when they are under financial stress. And just priming lower-income people to worry about money before giving the test also reduced their score significantly.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

Hargrimm posted:

Nope. They tested Indian farmers who sell their harvest once a year. The month after payday they did ~10 points better on IQ tests than the month before payday the next year when they are under financial stress. And just priming lower-income people to worry about money before giving the test also reduced their score significantly.

All that shows is that stress induces a cognitive load that negatively impacts cognitive performance.

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)

Hargrimm posted:

That's about as good a rebuttal as saying IQ scores vary based on how tired you are.

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

Easy to see who did an online IQ test and placed an undue amount of faith in the artificially inflated share-bait number they received.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

a hot gujju bhabhi posted:

Easy to see who did an online IQ test and placed an undue amount of faith in the artificially inflated share-bait number they received.

You mean I don't have an IQ of 250? :mad:

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

CPColin posted:

If you do get asked a system design question, don't do what the one guy did when I last sat in on an interview. We showed him an answered Experts Exchange question and asked how he would go about writing the system that showed that page. We left it vague so he could go into the data structures a Q&A forum would need or go into the HTML rendering framework he would use.

His first act was to start reading the question out loud and wondering to himself what the answer was. We said, multiple times, "Don't worry about the content of the question; just look at the structure," but we eventually also had to point out that the question had already been answered and just tell us what the database would look like. (I didn't want my coworker to provide that much direction, but whatever. At least we'd get something out of the guy, right?)

The guy noticed that the question was tagged with things like "Windows" and "SQL" and started talking about how the database table would need a "Windows" table and an "SQL" table. Somebody said, "What about questions that aren't about Windows?" and he got really confused.

We all agreed we'd have to pass, so my boss called him and broke the bad news in a voicemail. The guy called back to complain that the interview was unfair.

So yeah, don't do that.
Just gotta say that if I were presented with Experts Exchange as an example in an interview question, I'd seriously wonder if these guys are stuck in the 00's or something. Who uses Experts Exchange these days? :P

Space Gopher posted:

Lots of programming is already automated. Nobody hand-writes machine code, and not many people hand-write assembly, because we have compilers and interpreters to do the vast majority of that work for us now. You can see the same trend in lots of other places - 20 years ago, writing a web application probably meant banging protocol to a socket more or less directly. Now, we have automation that turns server-side objects into JSON or what have you automatically.

There's a trend here: automation increases, and humans come up with new ways to use it that require technical expertise. If you stay in one section of the industry, you'll either be automated out of a job, or turn into one of those COBOL greybeards who get paid insane money to maintain an ancient, critical application because it's cheaper than building a new one. If you keep focusing on core problem-solving skills, and find new ways to use them, you'll do OK unless and until the fundamentals of the economy shift in drastic and fundamental ways. At that point, you can't really predict anything.
That's not automation, the languages simply moved on. No one got fired because you can write C# instead of assembler now, they just do more complex things, faster.

And, instead of spending 2 hours waiting for a humongous C++ program to compile and burning the output to CD-ROM's for physical distribution, the DevOps are spending just as much time fiddling with build configuration and automating manual stuff. No lost jobs there either.

I'm optimistic, because programming can't be compared to the industrial revolution where a sewing machine replaced 10 people. You cannot automate programming, because the whole point of programming is to automate something that was unknown before the idea was born, and you can't automate in multiple tiers, if you know what I mean. It would be like creating a machine that was able to create arbitrary sewing machines at the push of a button.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Pilsner posted:

Just gotta say that if I were presented with Experts Exchange as an example in an interview question, I'd seriously wonder if these guys are stuck in the 00's or something. Who uses Experts Exchange these days? :P

He was interviewing for a position at Experts Exchange. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

Pilsner posted:

That's not automation, the languages simply moved on. No one got fired because you can write C# instead of assembler now, they just do more complex things, faster.

And, instead of spending 2 hours waiting for a humongous C++ program to compile and burning the output to CD-ROM's for physical distribution, the DevOps are spending just as much time fiddling with build configuration and automating manual stuff. No lost jobs there either.

I'm optimistic, because programming can't be compared to the industrial revolution where a sewing machine replaced 10 people. You cannot automate programming, because the whole point of programming is to automate something that was unknown before the idea was born, and you can't automate in multiple tiers, if you know what I mean. It would be like creating a machine that was able to create arbitrary sewing machines at the push of a button.

The "languages simply moved on" by automating drudge work that isn't necessary to do by hand in most cases. C# lets you do more complex things, faster, than writing code in a lower-level language because it takes care of an enormous number of simple, solved problems for you. That's the definition of automation. If you want to make an analogy to sewing machines, making stitches and winding bobbins maps to memory management and all the stuff the standard libraries do for you - it's essential to getting the job done, but not necessarily part of the higher-level pattern abstraction that you really care about.

People who don't keep up with the trends in automation do tend to get drummed out of software development. There's not a lot of demand for someone who can write x86 assembly against the IBM PC BIOS these days, unless they're in a hyperspecialized field where those skills are still useful. There are plenty of people who stick with older, more manual, tools and methods as the industry moves on around them. If they're perceptive and have decent people skills, they move to management and PM roles, where the specific tools don't matter as much as processes and methods. If they're a stereotypical grumpy dev, they get put on maintaining legacy applications, and as those applications get decommissioned, they get laid off. Eventually there aren't many legacy systems to maintain, and they end up in an involuntary retirement.

You're right that, in the foreseeable future, we're not going to end up in the specific 19th century England scenario where traditional software artisans are replaced by low-paid unskilled workers doing backbreaking work in the data mills. Still, automation is incredibly relevant to the industry, and it's important for people at the beginning of their career to understand how it's played out over the past few decades.