Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Reminder that in the books the First Men probably made a peace pact with the Others, just like with the Children of the Forrest. The wall was raised by the Others as a demarcation line between their two realms. Part of the peace deal was also regular human sacrifices in form of male children, allowing the Others to procreate and maintain their society. The sacrifices stopped some time after Aegon's conquest, which might have something to do with why the relations started to deteriorate from that point forward, culminating in the current war. There is a whole rich backstory to this poo poo, revealing the Others to be a nuanced faction with their own motivations and goals. Probably even the good guys.

None of that poo poo matters though. The only resolution we are ever going to get to this story is that they are the big baddies, pissed cause the Children made them and they were taking a big nap for a couple thousand years, but now they woke and want to exterminate everyone cause they are angry. The end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

Raspberry Jam It In Me posted:

Reminder that in the books the First Men probably made a peace pact with the Others, just like with the Children of the Forrest. The wall was raised by the Others as a demarcation line between their two realms. Part of the peace deal was also regular human sacrifices in form of male children, allowing the Others to procreate and maintain their society. The sacrifices stopped some time after Aegon's conquest, which might have something to do with why the relations started to deteriorate from that point forward, culminating in the current war. There is a whole rich backstory to this poo poo, revealing the Others to be a nuanced faction with their own motivations and goals. Probably even the good guys.

reminder that actually none of this poo poo happens in the books

Man Musk
Jan 13, 2010

https://twitter.com/benlindbergh/status/900029586062299137

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe
r/asoiaf theorycrafting might as well be canon now since we'll never get any more books.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Maybe because that dragon was actively loving up his troops?

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Constant posted:

I just cant see euron being the final boss of the series

is there anyone thats even emotionally invested in him? the dude has had like 7 minutes of screentime

Why does it have to build up to anything?

I'm just a show-watcher but Game of Thrones mostly seems like a bunch of people fighting, killing and dying as they move from one poo poo situation to the next. Things 'stop' more than 'end'

We're accustom to narratives where the introduction of disequilibrium obligates characters to action and the action restores equilibrium. This doesn't seem like it's ever been that.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Everyone itt loved the episode with Danny fighting the Lannister army. But you go girl, you keep fighting the good fight against those neeeeaaaaaards

What? This thread was loving drowning in sperglords about that episode too. Including a bunch of people so angry they had to type dumb posts instead of actually watch the show so they missed that half the poo poo they melted down over was explained on screen.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Accretionist posted:

I'm just a show-watcher but Game of Thrones mostly seems like a bunch of people fighting, killing and dying as they move from one poo poo situation to the next. Things 'stop' more than 'end'

We're accustom to narratives where the introduction of disequilibrium obligates characters to action and the action restores equilibrium. This doesn't seem like it's ever been that.

Because its been Lannisters vs. Starks since season 1 episode 1.

With undead impending doom approaching.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

romanowski posted:

Reminder that the person you're responding to unironically referred to a faction demanding male children sacrifices as "the good guys"

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

romanowski posted:

It does though

Jota
May 6, 2003

uga-booga uga-booga

Phi230 posted:

This exact phrase is said every time and the spoilers have been true every time

Hahaha great this entertainment is gonna last for months

hitchensgoespop
Oct 22, 2008

Everyone itt loved the episode with Danny fighting the Lannister army. But you go girl, you keep fighting the good fight against those neeeeaaaaaards

Sorry that most people aren't as invested in the logical logistical momvement of troops as you are friend.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

None of that poo poo matters though. The only resolution we are ever going to get to this story is that they are the big baddies, pissed cause the Children made them and they were taking a big nap for a couple thousand years, but now they woke and want to exterminate everyone cause they are angry. The end.

Just because they were wronged once and more complex than they seem doesn't mean they are the good guys.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

You guys think they circumcise in westeros?

TwoDogs1Cup
May 28, 2008

DOUGIE DOUGIE DOUGIE! MY LOVE, HE MAKES MY EMPTY HEART FULL! DOUGIE! THE BEST FOREVER THE BEST DOUGIEEE! <3 <3 - TwoDougies1Cup
Random question

Which dragon was it that owned everything in spoils of war?

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Drogon

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Drogon. Dany only rides Drogon.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

esperterra posted:

Drogon. Dany only rides Drogon.

That's not what next episode spoilers claim :heysexy:

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

lezard_valeth posted:

That's not what next episode spoilers claim :heysexy:

:gizz:

Pedro De Heredia
May 30, 2006

There is a whole rich backstory to this poo poo, revealing the Others to be a nuanced faction with their own motivations and goals. Probably even the good guys.

They are not 'probably the good guys', get the gently caress out of here.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
The others killing people are like that Art Attack guy. In the middle of nowhere you have to improvise with what you can get to make fancy drawings.

Pedro De Heredia
May 30, 2006

Accretionist posted:

I'm just a show-watcher but Game of Thrones mostly seems like a bunch of people fighting, killing and dying as they move from one poo poo situation to the next.

The set-up of the series (literally the first thing we see) is a great evil long thought to be gone resurfacing, gathering power in order to strike at mankind. A standard fantasy set-up.

The other long set-up of the series is a woman in a far flung continent gathering power so that she may return to her ancestral land and reclaim her throne.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

hitchensgoespop posted:

To Goons hate watching show yes, everyone else is enjoying the other bits like dany frying an entire army with her dragons or *sexy*jon and *sexy* Danny about to kiss on a boat.

98% of the viewers don't give two fucks about100% of the stuff people sperge about in this thread

it's not sperging to point out basic failures in storytelling.

and do people not realize "well most of the people watching the show don't see a problem!" isn't actually a defense.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Aug 22, 2017

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

hitchensgoespop posted:

98% of the viewers don't give two fucks about100% of the stuff people sperge about in this thread

I'm sure those people will give two fucks once their darling khaleesi's corpse is being pelted with faeces.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

What if Dany is actually short for Daniel and that's why she "can't have children"

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
Another reason why the leaks are bad if they are true, we have just witnessed Jon:

- Survive an army of 10 million undead vs 6
- Get Dragon Ex Machinaed at the last moment
- Fall into freezing water
- Get Benjen Ex Machinaed
- Travel in a snowstorm while soaking wet

and survive all this just so that he ends up dieing in a wet fart explosion that isn't even gonna level the whole of KL.

They've gone off their ways to have Jon Snuh survive against everything and even come back from the dead just so that he can die after setting off a booby trap in the Last Minute Boss dungeon.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

DrNutt posted:

Just because they were wronged once and more complex than they seem doesn't mean they are the good guys.

I mean, humans being absolute monsters to each other is one of the major themes in the books. The seven kingdoms are basically being genocided by a bunch of rich noblemen playing petty games among themselves. Especially AFFC is full of sections showing the absolute horror the common people have to go through. People are not the good guys in this story. Of course we will never see this now and it is speculation, but the Others' society in comparison is probably completely peaceful and the children that are handed over to them grow up in peace and as equals.

But that's not really the point. The point is that a lot of people speculate that GRRM, again, is planning to circumvent traditional fantasy tropes and turn Danny into the main villain. There are hints about this spread out over all the books. The Others would then ally themselves with the Starks to defeat her. I think it's clearest in AGOT, a time when he was still planning to only have three books out. She is willing to land a horde of raping, pillaging Dothraki and set a peaceful continent on fire. And the Others are not shown to be explicitly aggressive, they just attack people who are illegally on their side of the wall. There is also something weird going on between them and the Wildlings which Mance Ryder alludes to but we never learn in detail about. IRC he went into their land to dig for the horn of winter with his army and broke some kind of truce?

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

drunken officeparty posted:

You guys think they circumcise in westeros?

It looked like Theon and Hodor both had cut dongs, but the actor in Essos who had warts all over his dick was uncut, so Essosians probably keep it dirty and uncut.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Those 7 minutes have been amazing and refreshing compared to all the dumb poo poo going on with the other stories.

Euron feels like the Connor McGregor of Westeros. Dude knows how to promote himself, knowing full well he ain't on poo poo.

ruddiger fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Aug 22, 2017

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

lezard_valeth posted:

They've gone off their ways to have Jon Snuh survive against everything and even come back from the dead just so that he can die after setting off a booby trap in the Last Minute Boss dungeon.

i could go for a film adaptation of Temple of Elemental Evil but this probably is not the right time for it, yeah

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

And the Others are not shown to be explicitly aggressive, they just attack people who are illegally on their side of the wall. There is also something weird going on between them and the Wildlings which Mance Ryder alludes to but we never learn in detail about. IRC he went into their land to dig for the horn of winter with his army and broke some kind of truce?

This is alluded to a bunch of times in the books, most specifically with Ygritte telling Jon "We never found the Horn of Winter. We opened half a hundred graves and let all those shades loose in the world, and never found the Horn of Joramun to bring this cold thing down!" but I don't know if that can be read as anything more than Wilding rumors.

The Others in the books do seem to mostly just want to get humans out of their territory north of the Wall and maybe wreak some revenge on the Night's Watch for failing to uphold the truce properly, so it follows that they're not the one-note evil ghouls that we're getting in the show. That being said, GRRM is going to die before he finishes the books so get ready for however they wrap up next season to be canon forever.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

ruddiger posted:

It looked like Theon and Hodor both had cut dongs, but the actor in Essos who had warts all over his dick was uncut, so Essosians probably keep it dirty and uncut.

Just like the real world, where America has it's poo poo together and Europe in the east has weird gross alien dicks.

drunken officeparty fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Aug 22, 2017

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy
The leaks are real and good

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Rap Record Hoarder posted:

The Others in the books do seem to mostly just want to get humans out of their territory north of the Wall

There is definitely a noble savage feeling to them. Maybe he got inspired by NA Indians? IRC he even describes them as extremely beautiful and graceful. Also, there is the fact that one of the Stark Nightwatch commanders supposedly fell in love with an Other and banged her, which gave as this work of "art"

http://i.imgur.com/0CbJ51w.png

Mod edit: Don't inline NWS images.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Aug 23, 2017

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

The Kapernick of White Walkers too?

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

No, it's a Brock Osweiler finally getting the big receivers he's always needed

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

There is definitely a noble savage feeling to them. Maybe he got inspired by NA Indians? IRC he even describes them as extremely beautiful and graceful. Also, there is the fact that one of the Stark Nightwatch commanders supposedly fell in love with an Other and banged her, which gave as this work of "art"

GRRM described them as being something like "Sidhe made of ice" at one point. Which is to say something like "elves" while trying to tread around the Tolkienian connotations of the word. I don't think he is thinking of them as noble savages exactly since in the books they are clearly not human in any way, but something definitely ancient and beautiful, indeed something like divine entities that have faded from memory and become mythic creatures of fairytale, the snarks and grumkins and all that. The aes sidhe in Irish myth are a latter day development of the pre-Christian Irish divinities, the Tuatha de Danann.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

why'd they make the night king looks so lame.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

skasion posted:

GRRM described them as being something like "Sidhe made of ice" at one point. Which is to say something like "elves" while trying to tread around the Tolkienian connotations of the word. I don't think he is thinking of them as noble savages exactly since in the books they are clearly not human in any way, but something definitely ancient and beautiful, indeed something like divine entities that have faded from memory and become mythic creatures of fairytale, the snarks and grumkins and all that. The aes sidhe in Irish myth are a latter day development of the pre-Christian Irish divinities, the Tuatha de Danann.

I really wish they'd kept the "coldly beautiful" aesthetic. It was a lot more interesting than just regular wrinkly emaciated undead.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Jeb! Repetition posted:

I really wish they'd kept the "coldly beautiful" aesthetic. It was a lot more interesting than just regular wrinkly emaciated undead.

I think they were afraid of making snow elves, but they look kind of dumb in their current form. They also have this slow, plodding aspect. I don't know if that's deliberate, but NK's buddy could have brought him more than one spear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

skasion posted:

Benioff: Mmhmm...mmhmm....yup...mmhmm. Sooo....ice klingons then?

Weiss: sounds good

• Locked thread