Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I bet Kanone's favorite movie is Fatal Attraction. Whenever someone brings up The Notebook or Titanic as a great romance movie, she rolls her eyes and asks if anyone else has tried to lay siege to a castle to prove their love.

Also I have no idea how much those mines do, in any of the games. I have never seen them lain near my characters or had them lured that way.

Rabbi Raccoon fucked around with this message at 12:47 on Aug 20, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
Not really enough to make them truly threatening, as far as I recall.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
It's a shame the enemy doesn't try to knock you back into mines, but I suppose it'd be kind of irritating since precision knockback pool is a big point in the computer's advantage.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
Finished this game yesterday. But before I start Cold Steel, I went back and re-watched Star Door 8. I have some thoughts on that:

Star Door 8 was great. Osborne showing up in Liberl once word got to him of Olivert’s plans to fly back in spectacular fashion, was great. Little escapes Osborne’s planning, and he wanted to demonstrate to Olivert that he knew exactly what he was trying to do.

Olivert’s description of what happened to other states which got annexed by Erebonia:
“It starts with a small nation or independent state with an array of problems beyond repair. Those problems start to worsen, after which jaegers and other dangerous elements enter, plunging public order to an all-time low...”

That sounds an AWFUL lot like what happened to Liberl. It makes you wonder if Orobous had a hand in those problems as well. It probably makes sense… I can easily see Osborne making a deal with Oroborous for aid in destabilizing several countries, making them ripe for annexation, in exchange for the resources and support necessary to do things like construct the Glorious (although I’m not sure if they told him exactly what they were building. I don’t quite see Osborne trusting them enough to let them build a flying battleship.)

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

That sounds an AWFUL lot like what happened to Liberl. It makes you wonder if Orobous had a hand in those problems as well. It probably makes sense… I can easily see Osborne making a deal with Oroborous for aid in destabilizing several countries, making them ripe for annexation, in exchange for the resources and support necessary to do things like construct the Glorious (although I’m not sure if they told him exactly what they were building. I don’t quite see Osborne trusting them enough to let them build a flying battleship.)

Cold Steel has some very specific things to say about this, especially in Chapter 6.

Epsilon Moonshade
Nov 22, 2016

Not an excellent host.

<snip> in exchange for the resources and support necessary to do things like construct the Glorious (although I’m not sure if they told him exactly what they were building. I don’t quite see Osborne trusting them enough to let them build a flying battleship.)

Some Numbers posted:

Cold Steel has some very specific things to say about this, especially in Chapter 6.

Indeed, the dots are there to connect. I've got my own speculation, but I'll wait for the (hopefully) inevitable CS1 SSLP to mention it.

I just finished CS1 and... CS2 needs to be out already. :argh:

Trails and its loving cliffhangers. I guess I should technically spoiler that, but it seems the end-of-game cliffhanger is pretty much par for this series. :v:

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Epsilon Moonshade posted:

Indeed, the dots are there to connect. I've got my own speculation, but I'll wait for the (hopefully) inevitable CS1 SSLP to mention it.

I'm working (slowly) on a VLP of the game. I got derailed by one of my commentators leaving the country and CSPC coming out.

We should be able to start recording within a week or so.

And yeah, that cliffhanger is brutal.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Some Numbers posted:

And yeah, that cliffhanger is brutal.

It still can't beat the Sky First Chapter cliffhanger.

Olivert’s description of what happened to other states which got annexed by Erebonia:
“It starts with a small nation or independent state with an array of problems beyond repair. Those problems start to worsen, after which jaegers and other dangerous elements enter, plunging public order to an all-time low...”

That sounds an AWFUL lot like what happened to Liberl.

As for chancellor von Evil vis a vis the tragedy of Hamel, Weissmann only claimed responsibility for the original idea, not for the actual execution of the plan.
Whether Osbourne was actually complicit or not is frankly immaterial, because he saw that poo poo and said to himself, I can do so much better.
Especially after he tried again 8 years later. There was that funny business with the steam tanks after all.

Hell, do we know why he was appointed chancellor? Because I just thought he might have been the one to expose the false flag plot in the first place.

Alard
Sep 4, 2011

I think we have some more details , but I don't think I should mention them in this thread.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Epsilon Moonshade posted:

I just finished CS1 and... CS2 needs to be out already. :argh:

Trails and its loving cliffhangers. I guess I should technically spoiler that, but it seems the end-of-game cliffhanger is pretty much par for this series. :v:

Be like me and sign up for PS Now on PC

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Omobono posted:

It still can't beat the Sky First Chapter cliffhanger.

As for chancellor von Evil vis a vis the tragedy of Hamel, Weissmann only claimed responsibility for the original idea, not for the actual execution of the plan.
Whether Osbourne was actually complicit or not is frankly immaterial, because he saw that poo poo and said to himself, I can do so much better.
Especially after he tried again 8 years later. There was that funny business with the steam tanks after all.

Hell, do we know why he was appointed chancellor? Because I just thought he might have been the one to expose the false flag plot in the first place.

I was thinking more about the events of FC/SC than the ones leading up the the Hundred Days war.

"a small nation or independent state with an array of problems beyond repair"
- The army's officer corps is deeply corrupted, making them vulnerable to pressure from the Intelligence Division
- ...which leads to a nearly successful coup d'etat
- Ghost sightings almost lead to civil unrest in one city
- Earthquakes cause chaos in another
- The peace process is put in jeopardy and there's nearly a second attempted coup
- A town is shut down by fog
- Another town's economic centers are attacked and severely damaged

The military was not great at dealing with most of those events. If it wasn't for the Bracers, many of those situations could have gone on longer and overlapped each other, further stressing the ability to deal with them.

"Those problems start to worsen, after which jaegers and other dangerous elements enter, plunging public order to an all-time low..."
- Chapters 7 and 8 had Jagers openly engaging the literal armed force all over the country, and very nearly conquering the capital.
- The loss of orbal power made the problems worsen and plunged public order to a low level. It was resolved before collapse happened, but the situation could have gotten bad if it had lasted longer.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Aug 22, 2017

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

say there, do you absolutely love repetitious brown corridors

well tough titties

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
IT.

IS.

TIME.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

EponymousMrYar posted:

IT.

IS.

TIME.

He'll probably detour to the Star Door first, but after that THEN it is time. :allears:

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Dammit, I thought the chest had "Valestein Castle" stuck in it's head.

Also, to clarify, I'd like to think that the next person is Cassius, right? That's who most of us are thinking of?

Explosions
Apr 20, 2015

Something about the fight with Cassius being all about Richard and not Estelle really rubs me the wrong way.

edit: Yup, that's the implication Junpei.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Explosions posted:

Something about the fight with SNORGENFLORGSKJORG being all about Richard and not Estelle really rubs me the wrong way.

the mask is finally slipping and Richard is enacting his long-planned revenge by supplanting our real protagonists

those little speeches about teamwork and determination were just the beginning

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
To be fair Richard's issues with Cassius are way bigger than Estelle's, guy pulled a coup because he thought so highly of the guy and so little of himself.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

Justin_Brett posted:

To be fair Richard's issues with Cassius are way bigger than Estelle's, guy pulled a coup because he thought so highly of the guy and so little of himself.

Exactly. Estelle's journey was never really about Cassius. He was an inspiration for her, sure, but ultimately her story was about her and Joshua.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
It was pretty obvious who the final boss of this section would be when you stepped in. It's so obvious that even the characters in-game know who is next.

Super Jay Mann posted:

He'll probably detour to the Star Door first, but after that THEN it is time. :allears:

After that he'll also have to detour to get that chest he missed on the road south of Leiston.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Please at least say there's some kind of automap to the iron labyrinth.

Epsilon Moonshade
Nov 22, 2016

Not an excellent host.

Glazius posted:

hahahaha nope
:eng99:

I hated this section with a passion. I'm usually good at building up a mental map, but...

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
Unlike Phillip and Kilika in the last sections, everybody already knew who'd be at the end of this one, but just for good measure Morgan confirms it here and lets you stew in it for one more floor.

Also, Morgan's slow, but his attacks really hurt and Beast Dance is essentially an S-craft without the cut-in. He once fainted my entire team with it during one unlucky run and came dangerously close to wiping me out before it wore off.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Erpy posted:

Unlike Phillip and Kilika in the last sections, everybody already knew who'd be at the end of this one, but just for good measure Morgan confirms it here and lets you stew in it for one more floor.

Also, Morgan's slow, but his attacks really hurt and Beast Dance is essentially an S-craft without the cut-in. He once fainted my entire team with it during one unlucky run and came dangerously close to wiping me out before it wore off.

- Actually, given the pattern in Anelace's chapter, Kilika was a good guess. Or maybe it's just people suggested I take Zin and Agate to the last fight.
- Morgan is vulnerable to Clock Down, and with his already low speed, that really helped in this fight.

Alard
Sep 4, 2011

When I played the biggest hint that Kilika was coming up in Anelace's part was getting a weapon for Zin from a chest.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Glazius posted:

there auto be a map that's for sure

vdate
Oct 25, 2010
There wasn't even a chest comment prompting that one! :argh:

...:golfclap:

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

NotASmartMan
Jul 28, 2017
One of my favourite star doors if only for more Richard :allears: I'd like to thnk his whole research team is just the guys from Intelligence Division, dressed like they were in FC. Noticed it before during the fight with Kanone, but I totally forgot that Richard went by Your Excellency. I'm hoping that was after the coup, otherwise the characters (and me) look a bit stupid for not noticing was up sooner.

Hopefully we see him again in Calvard, although with time gap, it's unlikely he;d still be there when that arc occurs.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

NotASmartMan posted:

Hopefully we see him again in Calvard, although with time gap, it's unlikely he;d still be there when that arc occurs.

Could always be on a later visit. So he can (CS2 spoilers) hang out with Angelica, and maybe Friedel and Loggins.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

You know, I'm not surprised that Morgan's fighting style is of the "slow speed, but powerful enough to TPK your rear end if you're not careful" variety. With how cautious and rigid he is as a person, it's no surprise he'd take a more conservative approach to fighting; let the opponent do all the flashy nonsense, Morgan will just calmly walk up and axe them in the face in response. It's a nice contrast to Cassius' more laid-back personality. On the other hand, Morgan being a giant poo poo wrecker means that much like Kilika, I am disappointed we've never had him as a playable cast member, even if he'd have a lot of overlap with Zin's roles in the party.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I'm pretty sure just about every one of the characters you fight in this sequence was in consideration for being a party member either in SC or this game. Phillip especially, he gets a lot of build-up for someone whose biggest contribution is slowing the enforces down for a couple of minutes. (Admittedly it's a really cool couple of minutes)

NotASmartMan
Jul 28, 2017
Eh, I think it's nice that not every badass is in the party. And then there's the issue with party being too bloated.

Epsilon Moonshade
Nov 22, 2016

Not an excellent host.

Endorph posted:

I'm pretty sure just about every one of the characters you fight in this sequence was in consideration for being a party member either in SC or this game. Phillip especially, he gets a lot of build-up for someone whose biggest contribution is slowing the enforces down for a couple of minutes. (Admittedly it's a really cool couple of minutes)

That's the biggest and coolest contribution, but a bigger part of his arc (if you can call it that) is him being the protector and attendant to a certain (former?) man-child and the comedy that ensues. I suspect he hosed up at some point and this was a punishment. :v:

If anything, he'd have been a temporary party member like Julia, without actually showing up in the endgame.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

NotASmartMan posted:

Eh, I think it's nice that not every badass is in the party. And then there's the issue with party being too bloated.

Oh yeah I'm definitely not saying they thought that all of these guys would be in the party, just that they could have popped up in this game instead of Richard or something. And if I was going to pick one I'd pick Richard, just saying that they probably gave all of these guys some consideration at some point.

vdate
Oct 25, 2010

Really Pants posted:

The earth and mirage points make it easier to use arts like Gaia Shield and Athelas, which I am definitely going to need, trust me.

...is the Black Breath going to be a problem in the near future? Do Ringwraiths feature prominently among the ranks of the demons of this world?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

vdate posted:

...is the Black Breath going to be a problem in the near future? Do Ringwraiths feature prominently among the ranks of the demons of this world?

No, but old men and their walking-sticks remain as threatening as ever.

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Aug 23, 2017

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
Oh man, this fight. This mutterfuggin' fight. You know you're boned the moment Silver Will Rearranged starts playing and Cassius comes at you without any backup. Because Cassius Bright doesn't need backup. Just a very large stick to pound you silly with.

This is one of those battles that the game itself acknowledges is designed to wreck you. Just like Loewe in SC, dying gives you the option of trying again with a weakened opponent even without retry offset. The fight is surprisingly straight-forward. No flunkies, no status ailments, complete immunity to every status effect, delay and stat-down, no whacky tricks, just a straight-up relentless pummelling with his very large stick like Estelle only wishes she could.

Apparantly, Lightning Flash affects everyone in a radius around Cassius himself, but the radius is of the L-variety, meaning that unless he's in one corner and you're in the other, you're probably gonna get hit by it.

And "Qilingong" is the name of the same skill Rean can use during one particular fight in Cold Steel to buff his speed and strength which is a very nice piece of inter-arc continuity.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Correct me if I'm wrong but I'm pretty sure this is the only boss in the game that isn't flanked by some collection of minions at the start of the battle. A small mercy I suppose.

Cassius has easily the most broken crafts in the game and I'm convinced the only reason he isn't nigh unbeatable on higher difficulties is because the AI will gladly waste 2-3 turns on weaker single-target attacks and because additionally you have Zeram Powders (I had to use four of them on Hard :suicide: ) as the ultimate bail out. Also because Richard but even he can only do so much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Erpy posted:

This is one of those battles that the game itself acknowledges is designed to wreck you. Just like Loewe in SC, dying gives you the option of trying again with a weakened opponent even without retry offset. The fight is surprisingly straight-forward. No flunkies, no status ailments, complete immunity to every status effect, delay and stat-down, no whacky tricks, just a straight-up relentless pummelling with his very large stick like Estelle only wishes she could.

That's what made the fight really striking to me... besides it kicking my rear end a bunch of times. A lot of the bosses in this game --- and especially the immediately previous ones --- rely on the adds to provide the difficulty, so
something like Spear of Loa followed by Phantom Raid gets you 90% through most of them. For Cassius? Yeah, he doesn't need help to rack up the damage, and Kevin is going to need Grail Sphere for this one...

• Locked thread