Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is going to be your favorite offseason storyline?
This poll is closed.
The Big3 Tourney 67 22.41%
Will Lakers draft Ball 40 13.38%
Where will the Pauls go 54 18.06%
Will LeBron jump ship to the Spurs or ?? 41 13.71%
Will every team in the league just pivot towards tanking 97 32.44%
Total: 210 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
EMC
Aug 17, 2004

Cavs/Celtics conference finals are going to be loving amazing

Then the Cavs can just not give IT the max when Lebron walks they will still have the Nets pick to kind of start a rebuild

The Cavs did something smart? So confused right now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.

xbilkis posted:

Everyone laughed at Ainge for his inaction all summer long, but the only returning Celtics this season are Horford, Smart, Brown and Rozier :eyepop:

I always preferred playing with Smart and Rozier over IT in 2k17 but I'm also not very good at that game.

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

straight up brolic posted:

Apparently IT had surgery, so he should be fine and doing the initial stages of physical therapy now? If there is some significant set back it'd likely be discovered during the physical

He elected not to have surgery and they're still unsure about when he's going to be able to play/practice again, per Brad the other day

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.

MourningView posted:

every time you talk about how LeBron fits with people I wonder if you have actually seen him play basketball in the last decade

E: Also having a potential top pick in what seems like a good draft seems really valuable if they lose LeBron and need to rebuild??

I feel the same way when I read posts where people just list Lebron and a bunch of nonsensical lineups the Cavs could play.

It is good to have that for a rebuild but if the Celtics win this trade the Cavs basically never touch them again in their mutually competitive window.

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.
Been a crazy couple months for IT that's for sure.

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

milk milk lemonade posted:

Really bummed Kyrie is gone. His God tier handles are now going to be wowing the worst, shittiest, most racist, stupidest fanbase in the US

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

I don't think either team got fleeced. It's just an odd deal because both those teams could have used those assets to acquire Butler or George.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Potatum played Duke PF in college, although I wouldn't expect him to ever play passable big defense, at least not for 7 years or so. It's not impossible to play them together, sub optimal though

Sorry for insinuating that IT's hip injury was career ending and poisoning the well. My instinct is that if his hip injury is as severe as it seems, he'll never be the man he was, hip injuries can quietly be as devastating as achilles tears, but I honestly have no idea, I'm just guessing based on the balance of the trade and spectre of future contracts.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

EMC posted:

Cavs/Celtics conference finals are going to be loving amazing

Then the Cavs can just not give IT the max when Lebron walks they will still have the Nets pick to kind of start a rebuild

The Cavs did something smart? So confused right now

They also legitimately improved the team's chances of winning by adding Crowder. No need to bring out 600 year old Richard Jefferson to try and guard KD. This deal is insane.

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Dejan Bimble posted:

Sorry for insinuating that IT's hip injury was career ending and poisoning the well. My instinct is that if his hip injury is as severe as it seems, he'll never be the man he was, hip injuries can quietly be as devastating as achilles tears, but I honestly have no idea, I'm just guessing based on the balance of the trade and spectre of future contracts.

It's been a hot topic all summer amongst Celtics circles, but everyone was too nervous to call a spade a spade and now people are finally admitting that they were worried about the hip. Even though he's on Cleveland now I love IT and I hope his hip heals up but I'm also glad I'm not really worried about it anymore

Now I'm just worried about the 0% roster continuity and the guaranteed < .500 start

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.
Wow!!!! I focus on football for a week and this happens?!?!

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

uh i just got a push saying kyrie to boston whats goin on in this crazy mixed up league??!?!?!?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Why not keep Fultz and 2018 nets pick and trade crowder and it for a starting center or something.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

going from finals hero to traded out of town in 14 months

i love this league

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe

Cool Buff Man posted:

Getting rid of and replacing IT seems to have been the priority, something that getting PG or Butler wouldn't have done. I'm still not sold on the whole thing but it's not anywhere near as dire as people want to make it out to be

How can that be true when they traded away the Fultz pick?

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

Ramadu posted:

uh i just got a push saying kyrie to boston whats goin on in this crazy mixed up league??!?!?!?

NBA App?

troofs
Feb 28, 2011

The better Manning.
As somebody who has been solidly in the "bad offseason for Boston" camp and frequently got told I just wasn't seeing Ainge's amazing master plan, lol

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Adun posted:

How can that be true when they traded away the Fultz pick?

Fultz has nothing to do with it? He won't be "good" enough for how they want to compete for years. Also Danny clearly doesn't really like him either

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Cool Buff Man posted:

It's been a hot topic all summer amongst Celtics circles, but everyone was too nervous to call a spade a spade and now people are finally admitting that they were worried about the hip. Even though he's on Cleveland now I love IT and I hope his hip heals up but I'm also glad I'm not really worried about it anymore

Now I'm just worried about the 0% roster continuity and the guaranteed < .500 start

It's frightening. When a little guy loses his pop, everything is over, ask Nate Robinson. Unfortunately Kyrie Irving is now on your team

If Brad Stevens could get Kyrie to play defense, that would be loving crazy

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
Honestly now that I've come down from how goddamn loving funny this is, I'm not sure this is really a bad trade for either team.

e: in a vacuum, anyways. relative to the selling prices for PG and Butler it's a fleecing

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

WE ALL KNOW WHAT NEEDS TO HAPPEN
Am I crazy for thinking the Cavs got better in the immediate term with this deal?

Drunk Canuck
Jan 9, 2010

Robots ruin all the fun of a good adventure.

euphronius posted:

Why not keep Fultz and 2018 nets pick and trade crowder and it for a starting center or something.

Ainge doesn't have time to wait for quick fixes.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Well you could have had Fultz and Kyrie and then Fultz in one or two years when Kyrie leaves or is traded again .

troofs
Feb 28, 2011

The better Manning.
If they were willing to give up Isiah, Crowder and that protected first, there's literally no reason they couldn't have had Butler or Paul, either of whom would have been better than trading Isiah for Kyrie, and if they were willing to trade Isiah they should have taken Fultz.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

chunkles posted:

the nets pick...no...it is a mere legend

A fayint rumore... has comme to paff...

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

Him not getting surgery is really dumb - Me, the labrum knower

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

euphronius posted:

Well you could have had Fultz and Kyrie and then Fultz in one or two years when Kyrie leaves or is traded again .

I'm really not interested in rehashing the Fultz thing, it became boring months ago

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

troofs posted:

If they were willing to give up Isiah, Crowder and that protected first, there's literally no reason they couldn't have had Butler or Paul, either of whom would have been better than trading Isiah for Kyrie, and if they were willing to trade Isiah they should have taken Fultz.

To Ainge's credit he offered the Pacers much more than they got for George, midseason, so did 6 or 9 other teams. It was Kevin Pritchard's spite that halted all of that

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Cool Buff Man posted:

I'm really not interested in rehashing the Fultz thing, it became boring months ago

The main reason for not taking Fultz was that he would be blocked by IT

Hmm

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

euphronius posted:

The main reason for not taking Fultz was that he would be blocked by IT

Hmm

Where are you getting this

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

I like the deal for Cleveland the more I think about it. IT and Crowder for Kyrie is a wash in the short term assuming IT is healthy. If the thought is that Lebron leaves, they kickstart their rebuild with a top-5 pick and and can move Love and Crowder for more assets too.

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

cavs should've found some dumb team to dump IT off on since they already have a better IT in my lil boy Special Kay

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

can't wait for the Boston globe to interview Kyrie

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch
BTW the Celtics only did this so they could trade Kyrie for Anthony Davis

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

straight up brolic posted:

can't wait for the Boston globe to trash IT

Jota
May 6, 2003

uga-booga uga-booga

Cool Buff Man posted:

I know this is a joke but I want to seriously reply that without the Nets pick that dream is over

big boi
Jun 11, 2007

Boogie and Kyrie seems like a bad combination of personalities

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

Cool Buff Man posted:

The Celtics back court of uh Terry Rozier and Marcus Smart

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe

Cool Buff Man posted:

Fultz has nothing to do with it? He won't be "good" enough for how they want to compete for years. Also Danny clearly doesn't really like him either

I mean if Ainge was so laser focused on getting a PG upgrade you're telling me the Clippers wouldn't have traded CP3 for the same/worse haul than what the Cavs just got?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Woof. Gonna take some time to process that one. Initial reaction is that the Cavs did pretty great, not only improved their team for now, but gave them some room to do stuff post Lebron.

Artic Puma posted:

It's pretty weird that two teams that met in the conference finals and are decently likely to be back there are trading with each other, right?

It's fairly normal historically in the NBA and really there was always a sort of "we'll still do trades" mentality, basically until Paul Allen and all the new money that followed him not being able to divorce themselves from that stuff in the late 90s.

• Locked thread