Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I mean even if Norma's mum was alive in the original series she'd be dead as poo poo by the new one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

...! posted:

Becky is worthless; I hope he killed her. :colbert:

:yikes:

DOPE FIEND KILLA G
Jun 4, 2011

pyrotek posted:

I would tend to think that (most of) the errors are intentional, at least as far as season 3 goes with the errors instead of the original information. For example, Norma saying she has no family last episode, when her mother and sister were in the original series, goes along with her mother having died in 1984 in the book and neither season 3 or the book mentioning Annie.

https://twitter.com/mfrost11/status/788854512807243776

Annie was mentioned explicitly by name in part 7 and Laura also wrote her message in her diary

pasaluki
Feb 27, 2008

THIS WHAGON HAS NO BREAKS! I HAVE THE HEART OF THE BUUFALO the strength OF THE MOUNTAIN, THE FURY OF THE THUNDER AND MY WILL IS UNBREAKABLE! I will not surrender to KNOW ONE

Kurtofan posted:

thanks, i remember that doofus now

also i accidentently turned off the sound during the scene where booper talks to the Bowie Kettle and I thought it was supposed to be silent and that we had to decipher what booper was saying through lip-reading and I was like "David Lynch you BRILLIANT MOTHERFUCKER , what an insane genius"

until richard horne showed up and it didnt makes sense anymore, so i rewound

Watching that scene without sound somehow makes it even better.

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

...! posted:

Becky is worthless; I hope he killed her. :colbert:

bad

SaintFu
Aug 27, 2006

Where's your god now?
The transcript of the Steven/Gersten scene reads like a trailer-park version of the last words of Dutch Shultz.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I liked the 10 minutes of screen time Becky has had in this sprawling 18 hour television show.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
She almost killed Shelly and didn't even care. She only apologized as an afterthought. She is a terrible person. :colbert:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Solice Kirsk posted:

I liked the 10 minutes of screen time Becky has had in this sprawling 18 hour television show.

tbh this affected me while I was watching the scene. The show expects me to care about Steven but we've seen... 3? Scenes featuring the guy, and only a couple more featuring Becky. I like them as characters, but the show didn't really give me enough of them to warrant an emotional freaky sendoff like that.

Cromulent
Dec 22, 2002

People are under a lot of stress, Bradley.
It's easily my biggest gripe about this season. I would forgive it if it were 9 episodes, but it's almost inexcusable with how much time they've had. It's not even just poor characterization, we just straight up haven't seen them.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

On the question of whether "The Missing Pieces" are in continuity or not, I am prone to believe that they are, if only for the fact that the name implies something more than "deleted scenes" would. That said, I am also prone to believe that continuity is not necessarily all that set in stone in this series and while I am not convinced, I find myself leaning ever more toward a dreamlike state of shifting reality being the case, especially as this season winds on.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Cromulent posted:

It's easily my biggest gripe about this season. I would forgive it if it were 9 episodes, but it's almost inexcusable with how much time they've had. It's not even just poor characterization, we just straight up haven't seen them.

I know and care more about Freddy than basically any of the other new characters that have been introduced including Janey-E and Diane.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm trying to think of any other characters we haven't heard or seen of yet from the original series besides obvious ones like Donna, What's his name who played eraserhead, Catherine and Josie etc. I still feel like we're missing a big one

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

Solice Kirsk posted:

I know and care more about Freddy than basically any of the other new characters that have been introduced including Janey-E and Diane.

Freddy is low key the protagonist of this season

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Empress Brosephine posted:

I'm trying to think of any other characters we haven't heard or seen of yet from the original series besides obvious ones like Donna, What's his name who played eraserhead, Catherine and Josie etc. I still feel like we're missing a big one

Moonwalking high school kid.

:nevar4get:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9AuKasDlcwY&t=17s

Cromulent
Dec 22, 2002

Hank? I can't think of many more that weren't just small bit parts.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Have we seen Donna's other Sister? The one who prefers the full blossom of the evening?

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.

John. Justice. Wheeler.

Also RIP Jack Nance

Mike Danger
Feb 17, 2012

oneforthevine posted:

Wasn't the whole reason the FBI was called in to investigate because Teresa Banks's body had crossed state lines? Or am I misremembering?

I think you're thinking of Ronette Pulaski in S1E1, who crosses either the state line or the US border (I forget which) when she's found on the railroad bridge. With the Banks murder, I don't think they ever say why Desmond is sent out, but the implication is Cole caught wind of it somehow as a possible Blue Rose case. It's been ages since I watched FWWM or the pilot, though, so take that with a grain of salt.

Stato-Masochist
Aug 22, 2010

the air is fresh, there's plenty of parking, plenty of space to walk around

oneforthevine posted:

Wasn't the whole reason the FBI was called in to investigate because Teresa Banks's body had crossed state lines? Or am I misremembering?

I think it was because Ronnette Pulaski walked into Oregon in her traumatized march, and they connected her to Laura's murder.

Edit: ^^^beaten^^^ but, yeah, I think Teresa Banks floated across state lines, too, which is why her murder also became a federal investigation

E2: or it was just a Blue Rose thing, I can't remember, but I thought Banks' body floated across state lines.

Stato-Masochist fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Aug 23, 2017

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.

Hank and Leo.

Oh and Dick Tremayne.

Lord Krangdar fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Aug 23, 2017

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

Kind of a mystery how Cole knew that Theresa Banks was a Blue Rose case in the first place, don'tcha think? I mean... How did he know that? I don't believe her body crossed any particularly important lines (unlike Ronette who seemed to find her way into Canada). Cole just calls Chet Desmond out to a private airport in Portland and away we go.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I'm too lazy to scrub through the pilot right now, but I think Ronette is the one who is mentioned as having crossed state lines? When Coop brings up Teresa Banks in the pilot it's to say he thinks it's the same killer, and that she died in a town on the southeast of the state. The way it's worded I'm pretty sure Deer Meadow has always been in Washington, just on the Oregon border.

e: which would explain Cole calling Desmond out to Portland, if it's a shorter drive

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The wiki has the most I've found out there to say on the subject:

Article on Deer Meadow posted:

The geography is confusing, perhaps deliberately so; Cooper says in the Pilot that Teresa Banks' body was found "in a town in the Southwest corner of this state", where Twin Peaks is in the northeast corner ("...five miles south of the Canadian border, twelve miles west of the state line"). This is consistent with Chester Desmond flying into Portland, Oregon in Fire Walk with Me. However, The Secret History of Twin Peaks, while affirming that Deer Meadow is in Washington, also says that Deer Meadow is "one county to the west" of Twin Peaks, calling it a "nearby community."

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Leo's been sitting underneath the box of spiders the entire time.

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

kaworu posted:

Kind of a mystery how Cole knew that Theresa Banks was a Blue Rose case in the first place, don'tcha think? I mean... How did he know that? I don't believe her body crossed any particularly important lines (unlike Ronette who seemed to find her way into Canada). Cole just calls Chet Desmond out to a private airport in Portland and away we go.

There's a reddit post theorizing that Cole is going to be the big bad when all is said and done.

Hijinks Ensue
Jul 24, 2007
I don't think there's going to be any way to make the Twin Peaks canon elements fit together seamlessly. Heck, there were gaps and inconsistencies between the S1 and S2 and the Secret Diary of Laura Palmer, and those all were released around the same time.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The Secret History is riddled with inconsistencies that are bad enough that explaining them away with "it's in-world journalistic inaccuracy" is a bit too hokey to make sense but not bad enough that it actually affects anything for the worse. It's just one of those things that happens when your series spans across 25 real life years.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

tao of lmao posted:

There's a reddit post theorizing that Cole is going to be the big bad when all is said and done.

That could be kinda cool. Makes himself the villain of his own swan song.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

What exactly is the argument for Evil Gordon Cole?

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
i think its more likely that david lynch is the big bad than gordon cole

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

He's the Lynch pin of all the paranormal activity in the series!

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Raxivace posted:

A double twist. David Lynch simultaneously reveals that he had also taken on the Character of on M. Shamalayn.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Raxivace posted:

Dumb bullshit

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Diabetes, you are not invited to my pizza party.

Raxivace posted:

It's interesting.

https://www.reddit.com/r/twinpeaks/comments/6vcxh7/s3e15_gordon_cole_conundrum/

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Lord Krangdar posted:

True, but didn't the entire town move too or am I remembering wrong?

esperterra posted:

Wasn't Deer Meadow always in Washingon? Just on the Oregon border or whatever. I should know this because I rewatched FWWM before season 3, then again I'm always stoned.

e: like i always thought desmond flew into portland bc its a closer drive to deer meadow than seattle. granted the geography is still hosed b/c of the casual trips laura and leland must have been taking

Yeah, it seemed to move within Washington when we got to The Secret History. Quoting the Wiki:

'Cooper says in the Pilot that Teresa Banks' body was found "in a town in the Southwest corner of this state", where Twin Peaks is in the northeast corner ("...five miles south of the Canadian border, twelve miles west of the state line"). This is consistent with Chester Desmond flying into Portland, Oregon in Fire Walk with Me. However, The Secret History of Twin Peaks, while affirming that Deer Meadow is in Washington, also says that Deer Meadow is "one county to the west" of Twin Peaks, calling it a "nearby community."'

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
cole has a big poster of a mushroom cloud
thats like, not something a good guy has in his office

he also shouts all the time

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
would be an incredible heel turn

Cromulent
Dec 22, 2002

I don't think Gordon Cole is a bad guy, but I wouldn't be surprised if some carelessness on his part leads to the death of Tammy and/or Albert.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
i could see cole investigating blue rose stuff not just within the scope of his FBI job but also because he wants to understand and use the powers

maybe he has a dopple? maybe he is a dopple?