Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

http://www.denverpost.com/2017/08/22/solar-eclipse-wyoming-most-traffic-record/

The people visiting Wyoming to see the eclipse outnumbered the actual population of Wyoming. I sat through that traffic clusterfuck, it was one of the worst experiences in my life. It took us 4 hours to drive up from Colorado Springs, and over 13 hours to drive back home. It took us 4 hours just to get out of the figurative, but almost literal, one horse town of Glendo.

Still worth it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
Watched five minutes. Five minutes of just "well actually" on the media coverage of his response to Charlottesville, with an added "Obama never said radical Islam" just as I started to turn it off.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
Race relations - very bad under Obama, very bad.

e] gently caress the base stupidity of his message is creepy as gently caress.

Radical 90s Wizard fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Aug 23, 2017

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

There's literally no point of any of that "speech". He's just soaking up attention while whining about stuff and flinging poop around.

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

asymptotically approaching one

LingcodKilla posted:

There's literally no point of any of that "speech". He's just soaking up attention while whining about stuff and flinging poop around.

He sounds like me when I'm really really drunk. Like more drunk than I am now.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

mlmp08 posted:

Even if it's not OPTEMPO, he's in charge of all kinds of not-OPTEMPO stuff.

Not really. C7F is solely an operational commander. He doesn't manage ship/crew training and certification. That's a COMNAVSURFPAC via CDS 15 (in this case).

He receives operational tasking from PACOM via PACFLT and has to figure out how to execute it with what he has available. The supporting commanders that are supposed to give him appropriate ships and people are CNSP and USFF respectively. If ships aren't available to fill the operational requirements that's their fault. C7F is taking the fall on this one.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
the point of this speech is trump hasn't been feeling good lately and this is a pick me up for him

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,

Mr. Nice! posted:

Come laugh with us in PSP

Went back in and lost it again when i saw the monthly thread title :vince:

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

ManMythLegend posted:

Not really. C7F is solely an operational commander. He doesn't manage ship/crew training and certification. That's a COMNAVSURFPAC via CDS 15 (in this case).

He receives operational tasking from PACOM via PACFLT and has to figure out how to execute it with what he has available. The supporting commanders that are supposed to give him appropriate ships and people are CNSP and USFF respectively. If ships aren't available to fill the operational requirements that's their fault. C7F is taking the fall on this one.

What the gently caress, hahhahahahaa, that's the dumbest poo poo ever. "Uh.... hey OPS, guy, I promise these units are trained and ready, pls don't check" seems like a really dumb system to me.

There's a vaguely analogous system with Army FORSCOM sending units out to COCOMs, but the COCOMs generally have a vetting process of "PROVE IT" when these "trained and ready" units show up.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

This is it, right now, do it DJT

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

asymptotically approaching one

Nick Soapdish posted:

This is it, right now, do it DJT

Your wish may be granted.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Hexyflexy posted:

Your wish may be granted.

No balls Trump, no balls

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Every time I tune in it's just him being dumb and orange, nothing special. Am I missing the real train wreck lines or is he just fluffing his small balls

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

he claimed cnn turned off the cameras while he was live on CNN

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Fister Roboto posted:

http://www.denverpost.com/2017/08/22/solar-eclipse-wyoming-most-traffic-record/

The people visiting Wyoming to see the eclipse outnumbered the actual population of Wyoming. I sat through that traffic clusterfuck, it was one of the worst experiences in my life. It took us 4 hours to drive up from Colorado Springs, and over 13 hours to drive back home. It took us 4 hours just to get out of the figurative, but almost literal, one horse town of Glendo.

Still worth it.

Hiding in the Springs, eh?

I made a long weekend out of it. Left the Springs about 9am saturday for Dinosaur, left there sunday for Jackson, Wy about 9am and hit Grand Teton visitor center around 4pm. Tried avoiding interstate as much as possible, ran US 40 and US 191 for the most part. Took about 9 hours to get back to the Springs on I-80, US 236 and I-25.

Just go drive old US highways out west if you ever get a chance.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
E:NM

Godholio fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Aug 23, 2017

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Yeah, let's terminate NAFTA, that's a good idea :rolleyes:

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

So massive tax cut and massive infastructure investment, that'll work

"What we have just witnessed is a total eclipse of the facts," CNN anchor

Nick Soapdish fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Aug 23, 2017

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Shits going down outside the trump rally. Police shooting gas canisters into crowd.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

https://twitter.com/williamlegate/status/900199068462272512

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

lmao the loving local band at the country fair in the tiny rear end town nearby drew a crowd easily three times that large.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Turns out a few people threw some water bottles and police overreacted. Nothing violent at all.

There were also thousands of anti-trump protestors outside compared to the hundreds inside.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Terrible Robot posted:

lmao the loving local band at the country fair in the tiny rear end town nearby drew a crowd easily three times that large.

Yeah that audience is pathetic. Went to a show last night for a punk show that looked to have more people in the mosh pit than that audience.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

John Ringo draws bigger crowds

Conelrad
Mar 22, 2004

Everything will be fine
Grimey Drawer
Yeah i'm a bald white guy who lives in Phoenix who's a leftist, gun owning, construction worker and poo poo was pretty crazy right after the rally. The protesters seem to finally be dispersing but for a "tiny" protest group outside they sure had a presence. I'm glad I opted out of going tonight because sucking tear gas sounds like a bad time.

Conelrad fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Aug 23, 2017

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

I'm sorry but this is the funniest thing to come out of tonight.

https://twitter.com/ChrisStephensMD/status/900192642234949632?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
https://twitter.com/timringTV/status/900208730305941504

Jun 27, 2002

Carrion Fairy

:stare: did.. did they just rubber bullet that guy right in the nuts?

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

When you acknowledge that antifa are protesting you, but you're too much of a cheesebrained halfwit to appreciate that this usually means that you're a fascist.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Don Dongington posted:

When you acknowledge that antifa are protesting you, but you're too much of a cheesebrained halfwit to appreciate that this usually means that you're a fascist.

Doesn't matter. Saw this on my facebook feed.

"Judging from their regional groups public statements they don't differentiate between nazis, liberals, capitalists, or white people. Even though in reality they're just a bunch of bored brainwashed white people seeking community and acceptance among fringe groups." - Some guy. Probably not an uncommon thought among a certain group.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

"Antifa are the REAL nazis and also the nazi-nazis with the swastikas and sieg heils have some very reasonable opinions"

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
I mean, to be fair, the handful of antifa/Black Bloc I've met were just there for the violence. They liked hitting people, and understood that no one cried when you hit a Nazi, or a Starbucks.

Real Nazis are deffo worse, no question though.

Dead Reckoning fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Aug 23, 2017

Sergg
Sep 19, 2005

I was rejected by the:

I have a friend who's in Antifa. He grew up trailer trash with a horrible childhood, was an Iraq War vet, lived in an anarchist coop for awhile, but then got his poo poo together and went to college. He has a Master's degree in econ from the University of Michigan and is a super nerd. He's legit beaten the gently caress outta Nazis and been stabbed by them before, for which he has long-term medical complications.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,

Dead Reckoning posted:

I mean, to be fair, the handful of antifa/Black Bloc I've met were just there for the violence. They liked hitting people, and understood that no one cried when you hit a Nazi, or a Starbucks.

Well yea, that's their whole thing right? They aren't there to talk things out or have a reasoned discussion. Violent resistance is the reason they exist.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

Well yea, that's their whole thing right? They aren't there to talk things out or have a reasoned discussion. Violent resistance is the reason they exist.

Missionary Positron
Jul 6, 2004
And now for something completely different

:swoon:

milk milk lemonade
Jul 29, 2016

Very well deserved

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
The best argument I heard in defense of antifa is that fascism exploits a flaw in liberalism, since fascists want to use free speech to gain enough power to destroy it before going full Terminator on everyone. So under a liberal framework, you're caught in a trap of allowing fascists and neo-Nazis to use free speech to destroy you, or you destroy their free speech to protect yours.

Antifa types, who are mostly anarchists, don't buy that framework and they see fascism as a threat to humanity which must be stomped out immediately. They also don't believe that stomping them makes the fascists stronger, the idea behind it being to make it costly for neo-Nazis to organize openly. If they want to have a big rally, then antifa will make sure it doesn't happen without chaos breaking out and a state of emergency being declared, like throwing a monkeywrench into the machinery of a would-be totalitarian state before it gets its engine revved up. Fascism is all about well-ordered rituals and intimidating displays of power, and what antifa does is more akin to sabotage.

And predictably enough, these neo-Nazi groups tend to collapse into infighting once that happens.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gLvcrsbliOo

Punching a reporter, bystander or smashing a Starbucks window, I don't get it and don't like it. But I'm sympathetic to the other stuff.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

milk milk lemonade posted:

Very well deserved

I assume the police had face masks if they were deploying tear gas. If that's the case, a lightly kicked can of tear gas poses pretty much zero threat to them. How is it an appropriate response to risk seriously injuring the dude over it? Aren't police supposed to deescalate situations?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Untagged
Mar 29, 2004

Hey, does your planet have wiper fluid yet or you gonna freak out and start worshiping us?
That's a "Pepper Ball", not a rubber bullet.

Most pepper ball launchers are basically paintball guns with no real sights... A nut shot was just (bad) luck.

Untagged fucked around with this message at 12:34 on Aug 23, 2017

• Locked thread