Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Maybe I'll go down tomorrow and look again. I am not a cranked player either but I was curious to see what it sounded like.

edit: They probably still have the same $400 pacifica I dug too. It's got a soapbar in the neck.

Sweaty IT Nerd fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Aug 23, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

I was really confused for a bit, because the Twin Reverb wasn't introduced until 1965 and they're plentiful in most forms, plus Clapton's usually associated with the Tweed era.. then I saw the pics (and checked online), and realized you mean the "narrow panel" tweed Twin, which is indeed rare and legendary. Even reissues and clones are a pain to come by. I got to play a reissue once, and only had the balls to play one chord at distortion level (and I was an employee, no less!)... but drat, what a chord.

For some reason, I had thought Pete Townshend had used that amp on "Who's Next", but I looked it up and that was a '59 narrow panel Bandmaster (half the power and three (!) speakers).

That's some great work there, Faustus Senior. It takes some chutzpah to put together something with that much "oomph" as a home project.

EDIT - For reference, Fender wouldn't put out their standalone reverb unit (and mean little preamp in its own right) until 1961, and didn't have a production amp with reverb until 1963 (the brownface Vibroverb).

After The War fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Aug 23, 2017

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

After The War posted:

I was really confused for a bit, because the Twin Reverb wasn't introduced until 1965 and they're plentiful in most forms, plus Clapton's usually associated with the Tweed era.. then I saw the pics (and checked online), and realized you mean the "narrow panel" tweed Twin, which is indeed rare and legendary. Even reissues and clones are a pain to come by. I got to play a reissue once, and only had the balls to play one chord at distortion level (and I was an employee, no less!)... but drat, what a chord.

For some reason, I had thought Pete Townshend had used that amp on "Who's Next", but I looked it up and that was a '59 narrow panel Bandmaster (half the power and three (!) speakers).

That's some great work there, Faustus Senior. It takes some chutzpah to put together something with that much "oomph" as a home project.

EDIT - For reference, Fender wouldn't put out their standalone reverb unit (and mean little preamp in its own right) until 1961, and didn't have a production amp with reverb until 1963 (the brownface Vibroverb).
Well I'm glad you figured it out because I just took his word for everything (he's at an age where sometimes he says things that... he imagined) but I look at those pictures and I'm blown away. Everything he said was over my head. I had to write down "1957 5E8-A" so I wouldn't forget it. I really am looking forward to better pics.

I know the man well enough to know that with a small press and some templates he would have done the chassis and cabinet joinery himself, and it would have rung like a bell if you knocked on it. When he takes on a project he does it like a pro. I'm surprised he took the shortcuts he did!

I'll do the proper googling before I go meet it. If I can get any video, I'll do it. I wonder how it will like my new Strat?

Dr. Faustus fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Aug 23, 2017

Ferdinand the Bull
Jul 30, 2006

I have been using the THR10 as my sole home amp for about a year now, and it is fantastic.

I love how I can get a facsimile of an ultra-clean Red House Painters style sound, and also get a batshit crazy amp is so overdriven it is about to die.
The trick is to use pedals to fill in the gaps. Extra points if you route the audio to some nice speakers or headphones.

Yeah, it isn't perfect, but if you're an apartment dweller like me, it is a godsend. Never had a complaint using this thing.

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

Dr. Faustus posted:

Sorry about the picture quality. This is what I would call serious Amplifier Worship. He wasn't willing to pay Fender for a re-issue '57 5E8-A, but he'd sure a gently caress build one.

Looks good to me! His lead dress looks good. Mojotone is great for kits, but I also like Antique Electronic Supply in Arizona for parts.

Very cool.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

I think it might be about time to surrender my hi-fi setup for the good of the livingroom, so shouldn't be a problem to route the THR10 or 10x into some great speakers. I think the Brown I and Brown II sounds on the THR10x might just be enough to get me by - because as much as I like the idea of versatility ultimately I just want something that I can turn on, jam out to, and then turn off. Which is why my current amp stays perpetually on the gain channel with a klon, a plate reverb and a delay I toggle on or off depending on how much I want to tug on my guitar-willy on a given day. I think I need to A/B/C the three (Katana, THR10, THR10x) and there's a shop about 45 mins away which stocks all three. Either way, or Amazon that poo poo.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Didn't realise that the KTN-100 Head actually has built in speakers already. Tom Quayle is obviously a killer player, this demo is pushing me in the Katana direction:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wstzn7RqU60
(playing starts about 2/5 of the way through)

Would just require covering the black with some Fawn tolex,
http://www.haarguitars.com/haar-guitars/uploads/2016/12/20170224_1005401.jpg

EDIT: Kek, tested waters and wife gave me the whole 'you're going to get a whole garage and shed to play music in!' so maybe a THR10x would be my best interest after all.

Southern Heel fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Aug 24, 2017

clam the FUCK down
Dec 20, 2013

Just received an old Sansui 8010 with two ar-2ax speakers
I also have a Lepy LP 2020A, two micca bookshelf speakers, and a micca center speaker.

I don't really have an idea how to thread this all together. Any advice would be great.

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay
anyone wanna help me figure out what this thing is doing exactly

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Smash it Smash hit posted:

anyone wanna help me figure out what this thing is doing exactly

I would use it to test R-C filtering and inductance. This is useful for creating tone controls for pedals and amplifiers. You can run your raw, unfiltered circuit into it and select combinations of resistors, capacitors and inductance to tune the sound of a circuit.

Oftentimes there is filtering between gain stages of Distortion pedals so that the output I had tones in well-defined frequency spaces and it is easier to hear what is happening than doing the math and inferring the sound.

A resistor and a capacitor in-series creates a low pass filter. A capacitor and resistor in-series creates a high pass filter. These circuits in series create a band pass filter.

Dang It Bhabhi! fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Aug 24, 2017

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay
Okay so the three gain switches are various stages? Three has a slight drive to it but the others don't seem to do much but maybe a bit of compression?

The inductance seems to do a different filtering but the last few (left to right) don't do anything so I am guessing they are for bass frequencies or are only isolating really high ones?

The capacitor values are pretty obviously.

But the coupling knob does not seem to do anything at all at any level on/off?

There also at the top a massive transformer looking thing?

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Yea, those are gain stages.

If you read the value of the caps and resistors on that rotary toggle switch you can actually figure out the frequencies it's shaving off at each position:

http://www.muzique.com/schem/filter.htm

The depth rotary control knob on the right does exactly this for a Matamp emulation.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

That's a cool idea, actually. I'm sure I will want to make one of those for myself at some point.

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay
Cool I really appreciate the information the coupling overload seems to not do anything any ideas what I am missing?

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

I would guess it's to simulate another signal (like a loudass boost pedal) slamming into the front of this. When you turn it up it's like you cranked a ZVex SHO at full report into the first gain stage. That's my guess.

The first capacitor in a preamp is a "coupling capacitor" which is the mofo that gets punched in its nuts when you do the aforementioned boosting.

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay
Okay gotcha. I am probably going to send it to my bud in Russian who runs ezhi&aka and get him to circuit bend and put some crazy stuff in it

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

How legit are Quilter amps?

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

Kilometers Davis posted:

How legit are Quilter amps?

A lot of TGPers are really sold on em, and every demo I've heard has been really good, but I've never seen one in the wild to actually give it a shot.

I'm gonna say... pretty legit?

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
You can say that they're too legit...

(•_•)
( •_•)>⌐■-■
(⌐■_■)

... to quit.

In all honesty, though, the Aviator is a solid piece of musical equipment.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

clam the gently caress down posted:

Just received an old Sansui 8010 with two ar-2ax speakers
I also have a Lepy LP 2020A, two micca bookshelf speakers, and a micca center speaker.

I don't really have an idea how to thread this all together. Any advice would be great.

This thread's primarily for instrument amplifiers, so you should head over to the Vintage Audio thread.

Having said that, it was loving with old stereo poo poo that set me down this dark path, so....

The Sansui is a great receiver, it can drive three sets of speakers, but only two at a time. Vintage ARs are awesome, too, so that's a no-brainer. Hook those up to output A, fire up something era appropriate and let 'er rip. (Obviously, you'll need a sound source as well if you're using anything other than the radio, which will itself need some form of antenna. PHONO for turntables only, TAPE for anything you want a send/return for, and AUX for everything else. 1/8" to stereo RCA cables will be your best friend if you're going to playing off a computer or mobile gizmo.)

The Miccas are probably much more efficient than the ARs, so if you run those off the Sansui at the same time, they'll get loud a lot faster than the bigger speakers. Maybe run those off the Lepy as a desktop rig or something.

PM me if you're really, truly lost.

EDIT - Sorry, you can't do that. Well, we'll figure something out.

After The War fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Aug 25, 2017

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Schpyder posted:

A lot of TGPers are really sold on em, and every demo I've heard has been really good, but I've never seen one in the wild to actually give it a shot.

I'm gonna say... pretty legit?

Wark Say posted:

You can say that they're too legit...

(•_•)
( •_•)>⌐■-■
(⌐■_■)

... to quit.

In all honesty, though, the Aviator is a solid piece of musical equipment.

:cool: neat

I'm curious because I'm still working out my ideal setup. I'm trying hard to like modeling. It's awesome for the variety and ease of recording but painfully boring and not fun in any other capacity. I love my tube amp but recording it at bedroom volumes is ehhh (probably grabbing a Weber mass soon for that) and a small form solid state amp would probably work great for my uses. I think my end goal is a lower volume + easily recorded rig that is in the standard guitar -> pedals -> amp range. I do love the fact that the Quilters have fx loops. That's huge for my needs as I'm a completely delay/reverb slut.

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

I think most of the quilter block series also have direct outs if you just want to skip the whole recording a speaker thing, although you probably want a cab still hooked up because the amp circuit reacts to the speaker load.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Schpyder posted:

I think most of the quilter block series also have direct outs if you just want to skip the whole recording a speaker thing, although you probably want a cab still hooked up because the amp circuit reacts to the speaker load.

It's solid state so you don't need a speaker load at all.

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

It's solid state so you don't need a speaker load at all.

You don't NEED one but since the DO is on the speaker side of the power amp, having the load there or not will affect the sound you get out of the DO.

havelock
Jan 20, 2004

IGNORE ME
Soiled Meat

Kilometers Davis posted:

:cool: neat

I'm curious because I'm still working out my ideal setup. I'm trying hard to like modeling. It's awesome for the variety and ease of recording but painfully boring and not fun in any other capacity. I love my tube amp but recording it at bedroom volumes is ehhh (probably grabbing a Weber mass soon for that) and a small form solid state amp would probably work great for my uses. I think my end goal is a lower volume + easily recorded rig that is in the standard guitar -> pedals -> amp range. I do love the fact that the Quilters have fx loops. That's huge for my needs as I'm a completely delay/reverb slut.

I have a Tech 21 Trademark 30 and it's pretty good. Effects loop, audio out, solid state, spring reverb, lots of sounds in it, and pretty cheap used.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

havelock posted:

I have a Tech 21 Trademark 30 and it's pretty good. Effects loop, audio out, solid state, spring reverb, lots of sounds in it, and pretty cheap used.

I used one of these (might have been a bit bigger I dunno) that my drummer in HS's dad had, it was pretty good all things considered. No idea how much effort went into getting good tones because I just used whatever the actual owner had set up.

(I later used his dual rectifier half stack :black101: which is why I know I like them)

Unfortunately my plotting to get a rectoverb has been temporarily foiled by car expenses

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Shugojin posted:

I used one of these (might have been a bit bigger I dunno) that my drummer in HS's dad had, it was pretty good all things considered. No idea how much effort went into getting good tones because I just used whatever the actual owner had set up.

(I later used his dual rectifier half stack :black101: which is why I know I like them)

Unfortunately my plotting to get a rectoverb has been temporarily foiled by car expenses
If I don't misremember, you were the dude who first commented on my discovery of the Dual Rectifiers when I got my Recto-Verb. It's still pretty much the perfect little Tazmanian Devil for rock 'n roll / heavy metal and all I need to get it to Extreme Metal / Djent is either an East River Drive or an OCD. :)

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Schpyder posted:

You don't NEED one but since the DO is on the speaker side of the power amp, having the load there or not will affect the sound you get out of the DO.

Oh, nice!

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
How stupid would it be to build my own preamp? I've been looking at this and I've always wanted a Hiwatt, and I want a little project to work on. At this stage I only really want to build the preamp and run it into my interface. So basically I want to build that PDF as listed and then get the output as a line out. That isn't too crazy an idea is it?

I want to do this to learn how the circuits work and possibly tweak and make it a bit more of what I want. I have no intentions of starting a business and selling these to people. Just a project for myself. I would like to eventually build a full amp with power section and all that, but as I can't have high volumes where I am right now I figure a preamp would be a good start. Bad idea?

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

syntaxfunction posted:

How stupid would it be to build my own preamp? I've been looking at this and I've always wanted a Hiwatt, and I want a little project to work on. At this stage I only really want to build the preamp and run it into my interface. So basically I want to build that PDF as listed and then get the output as a line out. That isn't too crazy an idea is it?

I want to do this to learn how the circuits work and possibly tweak and make it a bit more of what I want. I have no intentions of starting a business and selling these to people. Just a project for myself. I would like to eventually build a full amp with power section and all that, but as I can't have high volumes where I am right now I figure a preamp would be a good start. Bad idea?

This is a great project to learn everything you want to learn with one caveat: the filament of a preamp tube can run at like 12v which is babby poo poo but the anode... the thing that gets real hot so the electrons flow real good, that thing runs at 120V+++++ and can give you a real bad day. As a project to do for fun and learning it's not the best place to start, safety-wise.

A safer alternative that runs at 9v would be to make a MOSFET version in a pedal: http://shop.pedalparts.co.uk/MegaHIWatt_Vintage_HIWATT_Amp_Tone/p847124_11129948.aspx

You will still have the benefit of learning how circuits work and also not dying or being severely injured.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

This is a great project to learn everything you want to learn with one caveat: the filament of a preamp tube can run at like 12v which is babby poo poo but the anode... the thing that gets real hot so the electrons flow real good, that thing runs at 120V+++++ and can give you a real bad day. As a project to do for fun and learning it's not the best place to start, safety-wise.

A safer alternative that runs at 9v would be to make a MOSFET version in a pedal: http://shop.pedalparts.co.uk/MegaHIWatt_Vintage_HIWATT_Amp_Tone/p847124_11129948.aspx

You will still have the benefit of learning how circuits work and also not dying or being severely injured.

Oh true, dang. I thought the section listed as 6.3VAC was the listed voltage for the tubes and so it wouldn't get much higher than that. Clearly I should've looked further into it! I'll look into the MOSFET version. I don't really want to zap myself. I know to do what I want I'll need to deal with power amps and transformer eventually but to start I'll stick with low voltage bits. Thanks for the suggestion.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

Does that place ship to the US? The EPic Boost looks like it could be an interesting beginner project.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Anime Reference posted:

Does that place ship to the US? The EPic Boost looks like it could be an interesting beginner project.

Yep! There are US companies that offer an EP Booster PCB as well:

http://www.taydaelectronics.com/ep-booster-diy-pcb-guitar-effect.html

This is the actual EchoPlex preamp that the EP Booster is based on:

https://aionelectronics.com/project/ares-echoplex-ep3-preamp/

...also straightforward and a lot of folks prefer the sound.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

Yep! There are US companies that offer an EP Booster PCB as well:

http://www.taydaelectronics.com/ep-booster-diy-pcb-guitar-effect.html

This is the actual EchoPlex preamp that the EP Booster is based on:

https://aionelectronics.com/project/ares-echoplex-ep3-preamp/

...also straightforward and a lot of folks prefer the sound.

Oh hey, Aion has a RAT clone. I should make one and put a Subaru BRAT sticker on it.

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay
okay what so what do y'all want to tell
Me about the preamp in this bad boy also can I jump the channels to get more gain/tonez?

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

Me about the preamp in this bad boy also can I jump the channels to get more gain/tonez?

Eh, all four inputs feed the same tube gain stage, so I wouldn't expect miracles. You wouldn't be hurting anything though.

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay
Also the contour knob from what I seem to be saying is just a reverse mids knob?

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

I dunno but based on the reverb listings, if that's in good working condition it's worth easily 3 times that asking price

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

Shugojin posted:

I dunno but based on the reverb listings, if that's in good working condition it's worth easily 3 times that asking price

Yeah if you look closely they listed it as a 100s not a 1000s which is why I bought it haha

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

Also the contour knob from what I seem to be saying is just a reverse mids knob?

Eh, don't let it fool you, it _is_ a mid knob.