Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Slammy
Mar 30, 2011

Great speech.
PPHPFT!!
Midsummer Day Dreams(click for huge) That's 700 of 820 folks.

And He Did. (January, 1917)

Outbursts of Everett True (March, 1917)

Doings of the Duffs. (December, 1918, click for big)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mustard_plaster

Fritzi Ritz (November, 1922, click for big)

The Gay Thirties (November, 1935, click for big))

They'll Do It Every Time (November, 1940, click for big)

Dick Tracy (March, 1941, click for big)

Mopsy (April, 1941)

Archie (April, 1956, click for big)

Marmaduke (July, 1959)

Mr. Tweedy (August, 1970, click for big)

Feiffer (1974, click for big)

Andy Capp (January, 1972, click for big)

Wee Pals (March, 1972, click for big)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool

catlord posted:

The captain in Star Trek: Discovery is a woman. Man, remember that loving weird Intelligent Life where Gwen turned into the ship from Discovery?

Oh ok thanks. I legit know nothing about the new one so I wasn't sure what the heck she was talking about.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Green Intern posted:

How did he pull that out of Pierce without bending it? :stare:

It might have been floating free in his hair.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Everybody in Intelligent Life is an unashamed nerd except for the jock. When people in this strip complain that nobody gets them, maaaaan, or gush about some small sliver of recognition from the mainstream, or gloat about how special they are because they're so rare, I get the same feeling I do from American Christians who claim to be persecuted.

This is a punchline, apparently.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Julet Esqu posted:

Everybody in Intelligent Life is an unashamed nerd except for the jock. When people in this strip complain that nobody gets them, maaaaan, or gush about some small sliver of recognition from the mainstream, or gloat about how special they are because they're so rare, I get the same feeling I do from American Christians who claim to be persecuted.

Not to mention that Intelligent Life thinks that stuff like Game of Thrones and Doctor Who are super-obscure nerd touchstones that The Normals could never hope to grok.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Selachian posted:

Not to mention that Intelligent Life thinks that stuff like Game of Thrones and Doctor Who are super-obscure nerd touchstones that The Normals could never hope to grok.
So it's written by a nerd, then. :v:

"Huge nerd refuses to realize mainstream culture has embraced a lot of nerdy poo poo" isn't exactly new. It's eye-rolling each time you encounter it, but it's not new.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

...and the pitch! posted:

It might have been floating free in his hair.

It clearly was embedded in his forehead.

Mea Culpa
Oct 23, 2005

Ali's House

Lucky Cow

Mea Culpa
Oct 23, 2005

Richard's Poor Almanac

August 2011

Spirit of the Staircase

Mea Culpa
Oct 23, 2005

Back to B.C.

Random Acts of Nancy

Some disturbing imagery here.

This speaks to me.

I know it's just a toy gun, but out of context it just makes me think that Nancy is about to pour acid onto that unsuspecting dog...

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

Perhaps you have not been to the *Playground*.
The *Playground* is for Taalo and for Orz, but *Campers* can go.
It more fun than several.
You can go there for too much fun.

That Nancy panel might be the greatest thing ever.

The Lockhorns

Brewster Rockit Space Guy

On The Fastrack

Safe Havens

Kevin & Kell

Mother Goose & Grimm

Hagar The Horrible

Old New Yorker Cartoons

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
Single Panel Nancy is goddamn hilarious.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Tracksuit

Mother From Another Country

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Julet Esqu posted:

making kids read great expectations should be classified as child abuse

Aardmania
Jan 1, 2007

Ruining newspapers since 1993.

Shredded Hen
Heathcliff

Piranha Club

Dick Tracy

Judge Parker

9 Chickweed Lane

Pibgorn Piss Genie and Friends

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The Classic Dinette Set is hard to remember.

Working Daze needs to chill out.

Super-Fun-Pak-Comix is close, but no cigar.

Bobbie Wickham
Apr 13, 2008

by Smythe

Johnny Walker posted:

I was afraid it was something serious. There's no other reason this break would happen like it did right in the middle of the wedding of the two main characters.

I hope he recovers soon and is then fired.

:same:

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010

Julet Esqu posted:

1. "Childhood Development" probably won't help you connect with a 13 year-old and mentor them, unless you plan on chatting about object permanence and brain development (yes, I'm sure there are courses that would cover adolescence, but definitely not the first one).

2. No employer ever has cared that you took one course in college.

treasureplane
Jul 12, 2008

throwing darts in lovers' eyes, &c.
King Aroo (March 29, 1952)

Nancy (May 17, 1944)

Wash Tubbs (January 14, 1930)

Gasoline Alley (February 12, 1924)

Lil' Abner (October 12, 1937)

Barney Google (February 13, 1923)

Alley Oop (May 15, 1934)

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

FrumpleOrz posted:

Safe Havens
'Cause no one ever looks at the moon on any other day?

What's wrong with chicken pie? Who doesn't like chicken pie?

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

Tiggum posted:

I think the joke is that he expects all pies to be sweet, because he's an idiot child who should be smothered with a pillow.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

e: also that, but I kinda feel bad for someone who's been a small child for like 50 years

Tiggum posted:

Chicken pie (and meat pie in general) is delicious but I also remember being fascinated by the concept as a young kid. In America the association with pie is almost always as a sweet thing, usually fruit, usually for dessert. Savory pie or pie with meat in it (aside from chicken pot pie) is definitely not something one comes across often.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

someone awful. posted:

Savory pie or pie with meat in it (aside from chicken pot pie) is definitely not something one comes across often.
Does chicken pot pie not have pastry or something? Have I been wrongly assuming that to be something completely different to what it is?

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Arlo and Janis

Arlo and Janis Classic (January 2, 1996)

More on that baffling situation.

Garfield Classic (January 2, 1986)

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Intelligent Life

Take It From the Tinkersons

Dark Side of the Horse

Viivi & Wagner

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Tiggum posted:

Does chicken pot pie not have pastry or something? Have I been wrongly assuming that to be something completely different to what it is?

What he means is that, in America, chicken pot pie is pretty much the only savory pie you're likely to come across under ordinary circumstances. Chicken pot pie is absolutely bound up in a flaky crust.

I love a good steak and kidney pie (e.g.), but you can't get them everywhere like you can in Australia.

(pictured: a goon after my homemade pork pies)

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

I am intrigued as to where this might go. Here's hoping the payoff isn't a wet fart.

computer angel
Sep 9, 2008

Make it a double.

Pastry of the Year posted:

Arlo and Janis

Arlo and Janis Classic (January 2, 1996)

I like it better when Ludwig had ears.

Reply All

Zits

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

Dilbert

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

computer angel posted:

]

Zits

Pretty weird considering summer is essentially over and he volunteered at the zoo the entire time.

Voluntold, you mean.

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.
Modesty Blaise

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Buni

Rhymes with Orange

Pros and Cons

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
Flash Gordon

2002 Spiderman

The Amazing Mole Man

Tina's Groove

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Indolent Bastard posted:

I am intrigued as to where this might go. Here's hoping the payoff isn't a wet fart.

I feel like it's gotta be something completely unrelated, like the rich dude has been using the store as a cover for some ridiculous crime ring

Mea Culpa
Oct 23, 2005

Ali's House

Lucky Cow

Mea Culpa
Oct 23, 2005

Richard's Poor Almanac

Spirit of the Staircase

Mea Culpa
Oct 23, 2005

Back to B.C.

Random Acts of Nancy

Also, Gilchrist recent put this heartfelt message up on his FB page for all you modern day Nancy fans:

quote:

"My life..... 22 years of Nancy in the books and this week begins year 23 now...
Anybody that knows me well knows that I'm not a "nostalgia " type of guy. Sure, I'm very honored and proud to have worked with all of the legends and the beloved characters that I've worked with over my 45 years as a Pro, but because I have that white, blank piece of paper in front of me that I need to fill up with ink every single day, I always look toward the future.

But, today... it's an Anniversary and I cannot help but remember all of the folks that have come and gone and all the Love that you have shown to me in so many ways over the 22 years that I have now completed with Nancy in the newspapers. These strips begin my 23rd year! And to think when my agent first called me about this, I initially turned it down! And even when I took it on, I figured I would do it for about five years! But my Lord in heaven had another plan.

You know what? This strip has seen me through so many joys and so many tears. So many people in my life that are no longer with us. So many that are. There are so many people that I had as assistants, interns, office helpers...who have come and gone. Some stayed for a little while, some for years. Some achieving tremendous success later on. A couple who were Veteran Pros I looked up to... they all pitched in to make the deadlines!

We were all counting on each other, depending on each other, sometimes squabbled, always laughed... and genuinely cared for and respected each other, and found satisfaction in a job well done.

And then there have been many years of days and nights that ran together...all nighters that I've pulled all by myself to fill this thing up with something to make you smile. I've drawn and written this strip in studios,rented cabins, hotel rooms, and even planes and trains and cars and trucks. Everywhere across the country, and even in a few foreign countries! Because the deadline is the deadline and you don't miss the deadline!

There were many times when I've lost a loved one or have been ill or just down...but you just put that stuff in your pocket for the time being, and fill up that white piece of paper because no matter what.. MY job is to make someone smile Who might be having an even worse today than I was on that day when it finally runs in the paper.

I think that God, no, I KNOW that God, gave me this job, knowing that I would want to bring joy to people no matter what. And having been given that charge for all of these years has been an incredible joy and blessing! It makes ME happy making OTHERS happy. It's my calling. And I have been able to take care of my family and pay the bills of my extended family...all because of this little pointy haired girl, her gorgeous Aunt and lazy boyfriend.

I am never going to quit writing this Strip. I am going to keep on doing it until I get it right! Thank you for all of the love and the joy that you have put into my life. I am the luckiest and happiest man in the world.

If you read my strip for a month, you get to know me pretty well and you become a friend of mine. May God bless your life the way that he has blessed mine. And now... back to the drawing board!"

Mea Culpa fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Aug 23, 2017

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

When they passed out body parts in the comics today, I got Cathy's nose and Dick Tracy's private parts.
Gilchrist strikes me as one of those dudes who had drinking/drug problem years ago and then got insufferably Born Again once he got clean.

quote:

If you read my strip for a month, you get to know me pretty well and you become a friend of mine.

:ROFL:

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

Mea Culpa posted:

I think that God, no, I KNOW that God, gave me this job, knowing that I would want to bring joy to people no matter what.
God's done a lovely job of it, then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

quote:

Anybody that knows me well knows that I'm not a "nostalgia " type of guy.
Buuuuuuuuuuuuuuuulllllllllllllllshhhhhhhhhhhhhhhiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit.

• Locked thread