Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Frogfingers
Oct 10, 2012

Comstar posted:

So, whose up for drug testing dead beats, layabouts and immigrants stealing YOUR JOB (in Parliament) band buying YOUR HOUSE (in Canberra):

https://twitter.com/political_alert/status/899940105325993984

So, we are all agreed then?

As much as I'm disappointed in her xenophobia, Lambie has principles borne from life experience that is apparently lacking in career politicians. She's no Ricky, but thank the heavens she's not maliciously Hansonesque.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Hanson is a Nazi if given enough slack. Lambie is your average aunt on Facebook who is generally a good person but then shares some crazy poo poo. She certainly pushes lots of crazy stuff but she comes from a place of what she genuinely believes rather than a blind agenda.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

the old ceremony posted:

where the gently caress are all the neo-nazi rallies down under i want to go there and fight hatred

they will know that when they face me they face the lord of the israelites, for i belong to heaven and heaven belongs to me, and there is no power on earth that will defeat me when i expose the inexplicable geometries of my naked flesh!!!!!!!

They happened in 2015 and are a testament to the fact antifa tactics work, especially in causing fractures and splits in fash groups.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

They happened in 2015 and are a testament to the fact antifa tactics work, especially in causing fractures and splits in fash groups.

I read that literally and I think I like it better that way

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

quote:

A WeChat account of a University of Sydney Chinese student group denounced IT lecturer Dr Khimji Vaghjiani for using a map showing India controlled territory on the border with China.

"Absolutely intolerable," the post by the Sydney Times account reads. "India should respect the facts."

It included a widely circulated propaganda poster originally published by Chinese Communist Party's publication People's Daily.

The poster depicts a map of China accompanied by the slogan: "Not even a bit can be left behind".

Other WeChat users contributed to the complaint.

In a comment, James Li said students should quit the class in protest. Another commenter, going by the name of Ann, suggested students, "Complain to the university or inform the Chinese Embassy in Australia" while an unidentified user called for a review into how the China-India border was depicted on maps issued in Australia.

Dr Vaghjiani said in a statement provided to SBS World News by the University of Sydney that he was "unaware that the map was inaccurate and out of date".

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Australia should police Wechat Imo. It's full of CCP employees militarising China's student population.

Like the government has let the propaganda force run amok on campuses for years. Its a silly operation and should be shut down before someone gets hurt.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Where is WeChat hosted? If all the servers are in China then the Australian police can't do poo poo.

Hell, considering the average level of technical knowledge in Canberra we still couldn't do anything even if WeChat was hosted from a couple of PCs stashed under Barnaby Joyce's chair.

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
Anidav what's your anecdotal take on the new rules on foreign investment from I think Friday. Will it alter the flow of money into housing investment or will they give no fucks

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
You know things are really loving bad for a LNP government when they have to pull out the war gongs

http://www.abc.net.au/radionational/programs/breakfast/we-wont-make-any-hasty-decisions/8833392

Apparently our reason for going in hard with the Americans this time is the same as when we went in to start with (So no real reason actually. The 9/11 crew were mainly Saudis :ssh:)

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-08-23/us-put-more-pressure-on-pakistan-to-help-with-afghanistan-war/8833336

Not a quagmire, this time.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

G-Spot Run posted:

Anidav what's your anecdotal take on the new rules on foreign investment from I think Friday. Will it alter the flow of money into housing investment or will they give no fucks

As you may know the CCP caps how much a singular Chinese person can send overseas. This is designed to stop whales from hiding their wealth in overseas portfolios and avoiding paying tax.

You can go to Sunnybank and pay a small fee and they will wire you the relevant AUD in exchange for the amount of RMB with a little bit extra on top.

And you know all these Chinese property agents can use Wechat Pay, Alipay and bitcoin to ask for bribes to favour one ticket holder over the other when it comes to buying blocks of land.

The issue with these new rules is that grey market money laundering through payment apps has been apart of China for almost a decade and once again the servers are hosted in China so the Australian Government can't do a loving thing to stop Wechat pay credits in exchange for AUD which does happen and is advertised all over Wechat for houses, migration visas and even jobs.

On top of all this the CCP uses Wechat as a propaganda network so all these Chinese students coming here are basically programmed to parrot whatever social media outrage is on Wechat.

It's gonna get dangerous one day.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

Cartoon posted:

You know things are really loving bad for a LNP government when they have to pull out the war gongs

http://www.abc.net.au/radionational/programs/breakfast/we-wont-make-any-hasty-decisions/8833392

Apparently our reason for going in hard with the Americans this time is the same as when we went in to start with (So no real reason actually. The 9/11 crew were mainly Saudis :ssh:)

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-08-23/us-put-more-pressure-on-pakistan-to-help-with-afghanistan-war/8833336

Not a quagmire, this time.

I'm gonna laugh if this is what finally cracks the apparent polling floor and they start to plummet even further. I don't know that they would get close to the support they got from the chuds for this that they had in 2003 seeing as a) it's Trump and b) we're not 2 years out from 9/11.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Anidav posted:

As you may know the CCP caps how much a singular Chinese person can send overseas. This is designed to stop whales from hiding their wealth in overseas portfolios and avoiding paying tax.

You can go to Sunnybank and pay a small fee and they will wire you the relevant AUD in exchange for the amount of RMB with a little bit extra on top.

And you know all these Chinese property agents can use Wechat Pay, Alipay and bitcoin to ask for bribes to favour one ticket holder over the other when it comes to buying blocks of land.

The issue with these new rules is that grey market money laundering through payment apps has been apart of China for almost a decade and once again the servers are hosted in China so the Australian Government can't do a loving thing to stop Wechat pay credits in exchange for AUD which does happen and is advertised all over Wechat for houses, migration visas and even jobs.

On top of all this the CCP uses Wechat as a propaganda network so all these Chinese students coming here are basically programmed to parrot whatever social media outrage is on Wechat.

Also while I am not anidav, to add to what he has said the CCP has been putting up new and stringent regulations to stop whales from investing overseas for at least 5-10 years now and it literally never stops anyone, there's still tons of Chinese money flocking into foreign real estate.

Korgan
Feb 14, 2012

Tokamak posted:

I can't wait to find out what innovative solutions an 'issue based direct democracy' can come up with on the issue of sanitation.

buddhanc posted:

i sat in my living room sipping my cup of chicory and looking out my window and pondering my choices. overhead flocks of ghang gliders soared through the soot, taking advantage of the unregulated skies to make their morning commute. i shifted, somewhat uncomfrtable. i needed to make a decision soon, before my neighbor rumbled out of his driveway in his abrams tank and the vibrations from the tearing of pavement made the decision for me

i read through the billboards on the sidewalk again. joe's sewage: faster than anyone! poo poo-b-gon [as i read the name i silently thanked z0r for the death of the nannu state and the freedom to curse in public]: no clogs! there were five others that i passed over, but i knew, that morning, i was a poo poo-b-gon man. i trotted outside and grabbed the sewage hose that sat dribbling on my lawn. where was the nearest linkup station? i jogged down the street, briefly warming my face on the fire from my neighbor's house, before i tripped on a stray corpse and fell face first onto the sidewalk. as i pushed myself up and wiped the blood [not mine ] from my hands, i saw the linkup station. after paying my thirty dollar day-fee [a small price to pay for fredom] and jogging the mile back to my house, i was soon happily doing my business. like a free man

Ora Tzo
Feb 26, 2016

HEEEERES TONYYYY

Anidav posted:

I think I remember there being a background briefing episode on this.
Maybe it's this one?

quote:

Is Chinese soft power curtailing academic freedom in our universities? And why are Chinese students afraid of speaking out against the Chinese communist party? Hagar Cohen investigates.
http://www.abc.net.au/radionational/programs/backgroundbriefing/2016-10-16/7930270

Ora Tzo fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Aug 23, 2017

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

It wouldn't surprise me if the CCP was sending over "students" to "study" and watch other students.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Anidav posted:

It wouldn't surprise me if the CCP was sending over "students" to "study" and watch other students.

I'm sure a piece said exactly this a few years ago.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

So basically in 2064 A.D when Australia is full of Asian lesbians there will also be a communist revolution due to unchecked CCP propaganda and crypto currency bribes on Wechat.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

I dunno if you can blame the Chinese government entirely. They're not the ones who made the university system dependent on Chinese money.

aejix
Sep 18, 2007

It's about finding that next group of core players we can win with in the next 6, 8, 10 years. Let's face it, it's hard for 20-, 21-, 22-year-olds to lead an NHL team. Look at the playoffs.

That quote is from fucking 2018. Fuck you Jim
Pillbug

Is this from that archive of libertarian short stories? Those were loving brilliant

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

quote:

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2017/aug/23/norfolk-island-should-become-part-of-new-zealand-says-former-chief-minister
A former chief minister of Norfolk Island is calling on the territory to consider becoming part of New Zealand rather than Australia if it is successful in its United Nations bid for self-determination.

Andre Nobbs, a former chief minister of the now disbanded Norfolk Island government, said New Zealand had fair and productive relationships with its overseas territories, which include Niue and the Cook Islands in the South Pacific.

The Cook Islands and Niue have free-association agreements with Wellington, meaning they govern their own territories but are entitled to New Zealand citizenship, are expected to share common values and receive ongoing economic aid from New Zealand.

Norfolk Island controversially ceased being an autonomous territory on 1 July 2016 following a takeover of the island by the Australian government.

The island’s population is now governed by New South Wales, but has no say in the state’s government. Its residents can only vote in federal elections in Canberra.

Nobbs said Norfolk Islanders have had more than 12 months to assess Australian rule and it was turning the island into a “welfare state”. A closer relationship with New Zealand rather than Australia may be a better fit, Nobbs said.

“Everyone has had 12 months to evaluate the performance and integrity of the Australian government in the imposed changes and I think the Australian government has acted very poorly in very destructive ways to the heritage, the people and the culture,” said Nobbs.

“New Zealand is regarded with great affection. The relationship between New Zealand and Norfolk Island has always been far, far stronger than the relationship with Australia. I would have no issue with a free association with New Zealand if that was what our people wanted.”

Geographically Norfolk is 600km closer to Auckland than Sydney, and recent research has discovered that New Zealand and Norfolk Island were once part of the same continent – Zelandia – which is believed to have broken away from Gondwana, the immense landmass that once encompassed Australia.

According to the last Australian census of the island’s 1,748 people, 685 were born in Australia and more than 300 in New Zealand.

However Jon Fraenkel, a professor in comparative politics at Victoria University, said it was “pie in the sky” talk to consider New Zealand taking on Norfolk Island, not least because it would be unwilling to upset relations with Canberra.

“I think it is inconceivable that Norfolk Island could divorce itself completely from Australia and link itself up to New Zealand. I can’t imagine that happening. But the reason to discuss it is because New Zealand has these very interesting free-association agreements, particularly with Cook Islands and Niue.”

Frankael said the general consensus was “broadly positive” regarding New Zealand’s free-association agreements, though there had been some government concern the territories had not become economically self-reliant sooner.

However the process was certainly under way in the Cook Islands, Frankael reported, saying the territory was becoming less dependent on New Zealand aid as it earned more money through tourism and granting fishing licence fees.

“I don’t think New Zealand would disturb its relations with Canberra by the idea of Norfolk Island becoming a free-associated territory, but I do think their UN bid is not inconceivable. French Polynesia did that just a few years ago, France didn’t like it but they managed to do it.”

A spokesperson for the New Zealand ministry of foreign affairs and trade said the question of which country Norfolk Island should align itself with was not a concern for New Zealand.

“This is a matter for the Australian government and Norfolk Island residents. It is not appropriate for New Zealand to comment on Australia’s domestic policy. This issue has not been raised with us by anyone from Norfolk Island nor from the Australian government,” the spokesperson said.

I wonder if NZ would take them.

Korgan
Feb 14, 2012

aejix posted:

Is this from that archive of libertarian short stories? Those were loving brilliant

Yeah, the quote should lead to the rest of them.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
So is this thread worried about the ChiComms now?

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
Christensen's a secret Scot

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
Just watched 4 corners.

1. Kill all bankers.
2. Holy gently caress read the fine print.

Ora Tzo
Feb 26, 2016

HEEEERES TONYYYY

The Dual Nationals strike again!

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Zenithe posted:

Just watched 4 corners.

1. Kill all bankers.
2. Holy gently caress read the fine print.

It's amazing how predatory the banks were (and probably still are) with getting people to remortgage their existing houses to buy investment properties.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

You Am I posted:

It's amazing how predatory the banks were (and probably still are) with getting people to remortgage their existing houses to buy investment properties.

Someone I used to work with bought a home a few years back when he did FIFO, and he didn't even have his home for a week when his bank was trying to get him to use it to invest in property in Sydney.

Also he is a wanker so I hope when the housing market collapses he dies.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
Lol CBA is going to be sued by shareholders for not telling them of the 35000 times it broke the law

Ora Tzo
Feb 26, 2016

HEEEERES TONYYYY
Is Bill still committed to a royal commission into the banks?

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

Ora Tzo posted:

Is Bill still committed to a royal commission into the banks?

why would they need one? lol

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

lol I guess the free 30 million helps pay for free Foxtel.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Mr. Hookshot stopped being a mortgage broker like ten years ago and already then some of the stories he has to tell...

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Solemn Sloth posted:

Lol CBA is going to be sued by shareholders for not telling them of the 35000 times it broke the law

good

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

HookShot posted:

Mr. Hookshot stopped being a mortgage broker like ten years ago and already then some of the stories he has to tell...

go on

Ora Tzo
Feb 26, 2016

HEEEERES TONYYYY

HookShot posted:

Go on.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

HookShot posted:

Go on

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

HookShot posted:

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

HookShot posted:

:frogon:

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

HookShot posted:

less real estate stories, more bear stories

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tasmantor
Aug 13, 2007
Horrid abomination

GoldStandardConure posted:

less real estate stories, more bear stories

Go on

• Locked thread