Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

Enfys posted:

From the Terrible Real Estate Photos:

Even my grandmother with her matching toile walls/bedding/curtains/upholstery never put a pattern on the ceiling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

When nautical bathroom theming goes too far. Or possibly not far enough.

site caption posted:

The wallpaper on which Alexander Fleming discovered Penicillin in 1928.

I can't be mad at this. Stunned and unnerved, but not mad.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

“ Charge the lines, create the vortex, break the barriers. ”

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

HGTV Must Die

Is there like a company that rents out Etsy bullshit for realtors to use? Or do they each have their own stashes of this stuff for staging different houses?

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Christ, they didn't miss a trick, did they? This is like the 2010s equivalent of The Gobbler.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

#1 sign that this bullshit is all staged:

nobody on this planet knows how to play rummikub

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

cheese eats mouse posted:

I am pretty much done with buying furniture. I get to pick this up next weekend.

I thought "Do you have snow in August?" before I realized it was a sheepskin in front of it. :downs:

paternity suitor
Aug 2, 2016

I'm the "Sleep Is For The Weak" art in a bedroom

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Youth Decay posted:

HGTV Must Die

Is there like a company that rents out Etsy bullshit for realtors to use? Or do they each have their own stashes of this stuff for staging different houses?

Man, the more that I look at it, the more I dislike that whole decor, from the (apparently) micro-beveled wood-like flooring right up through all the pseudo-charming bullshit on the walls. I don't watch HGTV, but I agree it must die.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

Youth Decay posted:

HGTV Must Die

I never realised people actually bought those stupid signs in gift shops, never mind created an entire household around them.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Youth Decay posted:

HGTV Must Die

[snip]

Hobby Lobby for all of your "inspirational" and "quirky" signage needs. Etsy if you have more cash to waste on the same thing only "hand-made".

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer

Haifisch posted:

I can't be mad at this. Stunned and unnerved, but not mad.

I just took a shower and now I want to take another one. :gonk:

What is going on in the bottom picture?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Allen Wren posted:

#1 sign that this bullshit is all staged:

nobody on this planet knows how to play rummikub

What the gently caress

I learned from my nana dammit and it's a good game :mad:

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Youth Decay posted:

HGTV Must Die

Realtors who do staging like that have their own stashes, and you can get all of this stuff mass-produced from any place that specializes in interior decoration. But I'm actually wondering if it isn't a flip because the floors, built-ins, and kitchen are all pretty on-trend, as well.

I'm going to be the odd man out and say that I don't hate it. I think I just find the faux-country style that's popular now less obnoxious than the feature wall, silhouettes, and sheers that would have covered this house a few years ago.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Speaking seriously for a second, I've just bought a home and it's got a very rural eastern-european look to it (wood floors, wood trim, pastel walls, white ceilings). It looks nice and the warmth drew my wife and I to the property - but we're aware that it does need some modernisation.

I'm relatively handy when it comes to actual work, but facing the design work for a whole house is really starting to make me feel overwhelmed. Local Interior designers are looking to charge more than >£100/hr and estimating 5-10 hours work - which seems absolutely insane. I have full CAD drawings, architectural plans for the property, high res photographs, budgets and places to buy from - I just need to gain or hire-out the know how to help pull it all together to a broad set of materials, colours and layouts.

Failing that, is this thread a good place to ask for advice or seek out someone to contract remotely (possibly an amateur or student) for a bit less eye-watering fee?

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Southern Heel posted:

Speaking seriously for a second, I've just bought a home and it's got a very rural eastern-european look to it (wood floors, wood trim, pastel walls, white ceilings). It looks nice and the warmth drew my wife and I to the property - but we're aware that it does need some modernisation.

I'm relatively handy when it comes to actual work, but facing the design work for a whole house is really starting to make me feel overwhelmed. Local Interior designers are looking to charge more than >£100/hr and estimating 5-10 hours work - which seems absolutely insane. I have full CAD drawings, architectural plans for the property, high res photographs, budgets and places to buy from - I just need to gain or hire-out the know how to help pull it all together to a broad set of materials, colours and layouts.

Failing that, is this thread a good place to ask for advice or seek out someone to contract remotely (possibly an amateur or student) for a bit less eye-watering fee?

Sure thing. £70/hr 5 hour minimum.

What do you want to know?

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Rabbit Hill posted:

What is going on in the bottom picture?

Dunno about the bath but looks like they're using sink greywater to fill the toilet cistern which seems fine to me, straddle issues notwithstanding.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Southern Heel posted:

Interior decoration is a luxury product in a private home. Either accept that and pay all the money or do it yourself like the rest of us plebs.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Or go to a Design Within Reach or similar for a free mock-up, but be prepared to put down $30k to buy it.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Southern Heel posted:

I just need to gain or hire-out the know how to help pull it all together to a broad set of materials, colours and layouts.

To gain that know how you can attend a design school for a few years, or browse Pinterest for a few hours. That fee, for a whole house, seems reasonable. I'm a tasteless pleb and would never pay it though.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

Gorgeous! How do the doors on the bottom work? It looks like there's only one handle right in the middle. Do they swing out?

Yes they swing out. There are removable shelves inside, which I'm going to take out and use to store records since I don't have too many. Turntable and receiver are going on one shelf side and the other side will be the new bar storage.

cheese eats mouse fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Aug 22, 2017

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Southern Heel posted:

Local Interior designers are looking to charge more than >£100/hr and estimating 5-10 hours work - which seems absolutely insane.

Can you send them my way? That's a tenth of what local places quoted me for three rooms.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

cakesmith handyman posted:

To gain that know how you can attend a design school for a few years, or browse Pinterest for a few hours. That fee, for a whole house, seems reasonable. I'm a tasteless pleb and would never pay it though.

there wolf posted:

Interior decoration is a luxury product in a private home. Either accept that and pay all the money or do it yourself like the rest of us plebs.
To add to the dogpile, creative work is real work, and it's not uncommon for it to cost more than a layman would expect(doubly so since people tend to underestimate how much time stuff takes). In many cases the reasonable-to-a-layman price is actually the creative person working for peanuts in the dim hope of 'exposure', or because they're poor and need any money to pay the bills. Except interior designers have a fallback of wealthy clients & there aren't thousands of them desperate to stand out in a sea of Deviantart and Tumblr artists, so they're not as desperate for your money specifically.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Just be upfront with them, say you have a pretty strict budget for everything, and see what they can work out with you. Or they'll tell you to get lost and chuck you into a pile of ikea catalogues.

The old standby of "get a student to do it cheap" endears you to no one in the creative industry.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

Indolent Bastard posted:

Hobby Lobby for all of your "inspirational" and "quirky" signage needs. Etsy if you have more cash to waste on the same thing only "hand-made".

A lot of stuff on Etsy is "hand-made" in the sense that they ordered it in bulk direct from the same suppliers that Hobby Lobby uses.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

n0tqu1tesane posted:

A lot of stuff on Etsy is "hand-made" in the sense that they ordered it in bulk direct from the same suppliers that Hobby Lobby uses.

I know, hence my quotes.

Or in other words, gently caress 80%+ of etsy.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Apologies for the potato quality but this has taken either 15 years or 2 weeks to do depending on which way you look at it.

My new sewing room (with a bed in it) ((I know I need to fix that draw)) the little cupboards and the wardrobe also contains sewing stuff. It's in quilting mode right now, I have a big fold out table that will go at right angles for pinning patterns to fabric for dressmaking,

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
Looks like a solidly functional work space, though I would recommend finding a way to hang your rulers.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

there wolf posted:

Looks like a solidly functional work space, though I would recommend finding a way to hang your rulers.

Beheading is a more traditional choice. Though these days we usually settle for prison.

-m.
Jul 2, 2007
First of all,

I am pretty much done with buying furniture. I get to pick this up next weekend.

:swoon: I now have so much storage!
I love this style and hope to get one of these when I have the room, so nice!
I also hope stretchy mermaids someday replace words as the trend. Every time I see the words I want to do the opposite.
"Be adventurous?" I'm just going to sit here then. You can't tell me what to do wall! :argh:

Hopefully this will get someone who might actually afford the house to take a look. I seems to remember them trying to sell it before for 2M or something, they must be getting desperate. Also, only the official Frank Lloyd Wright groovy people would be included. I'm betting those are the groovy Penfields, so not included unless you make a really good deal.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

This house was "freshly painted" this year so they took new photos for their new listing (and bumped the price up $15k, naturally). But the realtor got lazy and didn't actually do any staging this time. Wouldn't the "before" photos sell the house much better?

Personally I thought the red accents made it cute and classic, don't know why everything has to be monochrome now.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
Most of those look better before, but I think the after pic of the kitchen is better. Mostly because the black and white cabinets are kind of a cute match with the flooring. Red is normally my go-to accent color, but it's not doing anything for me in the original cabinets.

Youth Decay posted:

Personally I thought the red accents made it cute and classic, don't know why everything has to be monochrome now.
It's the logical conclusion of 'use neutral colors because buyers have no imagination and you don't want them hating your color scheme'. Everything is black, white, or beige now if you're selling it.

Drape Culture
Feb 9, 2010

But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Big Brother.

The End.

:swoon: I now have so much storage!

This is a great room divider! Any idea who made/designed it?

For any UK goon, I hear rumor from several consignment shops that mid-century stuff is not at all popular over there. Is this true?

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Correct, the local shops I go to regularly won't accept it because they can't shift it. Sadly I think most of it gets sent to the tip unless it's a brand like g-plan, then it gets ebayed for thousands (and often doesn't sell, I've seen the same units go up for sale repeatedly for over a year occasionally)

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Also remember the 1950s in Britain were super different. It wasn't American postwar Levittowns, it was rebuilding after heavy losses. Rationing didn't even end until halfway through the '50s. It's not THE GOLDEN ERA in British people's memories the way it is for American politicians.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

OK guys, thank you for your help and advice. PM'ed a couple.

there wolf posted:

I would actually enjoy taking some time to design out the place myself - I'm conscious of decisions I have to make now, which are going to have big knock-on effects that I feel like I have to be relatively certain going into it. If I could possibly call on some advice for the thread on these structural alterations (assuming building code, safety, etc. is all met - purely from a functional perspective) then I feel as though I can take my time learning and changing myself over time. Any help on the below would be greatly appreciated. EDIT: I appreciate this is less around design, but I feel like having a solid foundation will allow me to ask 'rattan or hemp' at a later date much more freely!

The requirements are in order of preference:
- Create a kitchen diner by opening up the space in the kitchen
- Add an additional bedroom/office to increase resale value in future
- Find a way to move utilities away from the kitchen-diner
- Add a downstairs bathroom

This is the current plan:

My wife would like to ensure there's space for another bedroom, which leads to this rather simple change where we rebuild the non-load bearing wall between the kitchen and dining areas in the original plan before selling up, and putting an RSJ across the kitchen span instead of those arches to make space to place the dining table there. Cabinets for utilities would have to reside against the south-east wall over from the dining table. Structurally this seems the simplest and most direct way - but I'm wary of carving into living space to create another bedroom.

Possibly long term she would like to have the utilities in a separate room, and a downstairs bathroom, so expanded to something like this. I can't help but feel this is a bridge too far - ten times the cost of the intermediate step and only gaining a small footprint. It would be a brand new room (possibly better used as another bedroom? roughly 3m x 3m square) but the cost would likely match any increase in value so seems a zero-sum opportunity either way:

The loft is finished, but only has a 6' apex and as such isn't suitable as a real room - based on conversation with residents and local planning officials it's going to be impossible to get planning permission to heighten the roofline, and adding regular stairs (even space savers) to get there is going to require the removal of the upstairs toilet.

Southern Heel fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Aug 23, 2017

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

The Bloop posted:

What the gently caress

I learned from my nana dammit and it's a good game :mad:

for real, I've never met anyone who knows how to play it, it's a game you find in a closet and no one knows how it got there

if it's good, I'd be willing to give it a shot, but I think the last time I was in the same room as a copy of it, I was like ten

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Southern Heel posted:

The loft is finished, but only has a 6' apex and as such isn't suitable as a real room - based on conversation with residents and local planning officials it's going to be impossible to get planning permission to heighten the roofline, and adding regular stairs (even space savers) to get there is going to require the removal of the upstairs toilet.

Hello fellow peak national park goon?

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

learnincurve posted:

Hello fellow peak national park goon?

No, just the cunty local parish council - I've spent hours combing the planning office for every single application to raise the roof of a property and they've all been denied outright. Which is strange because literally every single house at my end of the street has extensions, conservatories, massive garages, etc. out the rear end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Why is everyone obsessed with resale value? Doesn't anyone have family houses/forever home?