Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Vanquish is like, top 5 shooter campaigns of all time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

CDHiggs posted:

UK Goons, here's a Jak and Daxter PS4 code to use. Let my CDKeys.com fuckup be your gain!

JTHA – GRNG – 33RM

Just a minor note for the future; There's nothing stopping you from making PSN accounts for other regions on your PS4. You can even access those games from your main account once they're installed :ssh:.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

JBP posted:

Vanquish owns.

Smoke em if you got em

Plus, it correctly predicted 45th POTUS Hillary Clinton would be a Russian pawn. Oh, wait...

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

I loving hate shootmans and think vanquish is good as hell

CDHiggs
Dec 16, 2016

That night in Point Pleasant. Those red eyes Richard Gere would never forget.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Just a minor note for the future; There's nothing stopping you from making PSN accounts for other regions on your PS4. You can even access those games from your main account once they're installed :ssh:.

Thanks for the tip. It was $7.49. I'll be okay.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

I got it day one on 360 and again on PC and after the reminder I'm pretty comfortable calling Vanquish's campaign mode one of the worst non-licensed things Platinum has done. It has no understanding of the game's own strengths. It constantly interrupts flow with unskippable codec sequences to disguise loading. Its aesthetic is bland. Its characters are grating. Its endboss is terrible. It's a game all about constant mobility and zooming around arenas but it keeps shoving you into onto tiny moving platforms, at least one of which is a stealth section for some reason.

I'd really like a sequel to it, if only to see its core gameplay expanded and put into a title where it's actually allowed to stretch its legs.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Vanquish is loving amazing, it's literally what every cover-based shooter should be.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
The best thing about this Vanquish chat is that it's reminded me to plug in the PS3 and play it again.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

JBP posted:

The best thing about this Vanquish chat is that it's reminded me to plug in the PS3 and play it again.

I've still got my savegame sitting at the final boss on God Hard. I'll kick his rear end yet :shepface:.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I physically could not get half way through god hard.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

veni veni veni posted:

I physically could not get half way through god hard.

There's a place on God Hard in Chapter 4 that will gently caress you royally a dozen ways and I was stuck at for ages. Chapter 4-4 (I think) specifically, where you're dumped in a pit with a half-dozen snipers and a pair of Romanov-D's rumbling around trying to shove a drill through your spine with instakill moves.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Oxxidation posted:

I got it day one on 360 and again on PC and after the reminder I'm pretty comfortable calling Vanquish's campaign mode one of the worst non-licensed things Platinum has done.

I'm comfortable calling this a bad opinion

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

man nurse posted:

It's going to kick rear end.

I kickstarted Shenmue and have basically just decided to be pleasantly surprised with whatever actually ends up releasing. I expect it at PS5's launch in 2020.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

PlayStation4: Don't War Wiv Ze Vanquish Vigilantes

edit; fixed

another bad opinion successfully bullied into submission by greasy keyboard warriors

BeanpolePeckerwood fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Aug 23, 2017

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Vanquish Vigilantes, please :colbert:.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Neddy Seagoon posted:

There's a place on God Hard in Chapter 4 that will gently caress you royally a dozen ways and I was stuck at for ages. Chapter 4-4 (I think) specifically, where you're dumped in a pit with a half-dozen snipers and a pair of Romanov-D's rumbling around trying to shove a drill through your spine with instakill moves.

I think it was the boss that was the 2X version of the first boss ,and you are fighting them out in the open. iirc they had a one shot laser that would always get me before I could finish them off.

On that note...Vanquish 1080/60 for PS4 with expanded challenge mode. $30. Is that great idea or what? C'mon Sega.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Sega is kind of on a roll lately.

Maybe they should make...a console

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

That's such a good idea that Sega shouldn't make just one new console, but flood the market with 3-4 all at once.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

exquisite tea posted:

That's such a good idea that Sega shouldn't make just one new console, but flood the market with 3-4 all at once.

Do they stack? How many bits are we talking here?

lostleaf
Jul 12, 2009

8-Bit Scholar posted:

I'm kicking myself a bit because the Surge was just on sale and I only just now played the demo and wow, this game is far and above better than I expected. Even the relatively positive goon buzz wasn't quite the same as seeing it in action -- it's got really solid mechanics, and the level that the trial showcases has real depth, tons of tucked away hidden zones, vertical areas, and a great sense of exploration. I found a split path a ways in and explored it while undergeared, there's a section with some tougher drones right near the start that's cleverly labelled as dangerous, and overall the whole game feels so much more polished and cohesive than Lords of the Fallen.

I'm still gonna wait for it to go on sale 'cause I can't drop 60 bux on anything right now, but this isn't like a one-level wonder, right? The rest of the game is as good as the first zone, right?

The demo is very representative of the rest of the game. There are 4 more levels about the same size and complexity. There is an additional game play element with a drone which is basically the games magic system which unfortunately is very limited. You can't make a build around it. There's some sidequests that don't affect the ending but interesting nonetheless. It does get repetitive at the end but no more than the souls series. I got it on sale for $40 and was very happy about it. It took me about 60 hours to beat NG. NG+ does have some remixed enemies but I got burned out around 80 hours. I hope the developer can make a sequel because the story is very cool. And like the souls series, it's not spelled out for you. You have to piece together the story yourself thru logs and paying attention. Definitely get it if it goes on sale again.

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

veni veni veni posted:

Do they stack? How many bits are we talking here?

Also power bricks. I want power bricks to put the 360 power brick to shame.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

For the last 20 years, game manufacturers have sought to create the most powerful consoles using cutting edge hardware. Unbeknownst to them, the secret to boosting performance was hiding in plain sight.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

I mean, if a PS5 could use a PS4 for back-compat enhancement and extra processing power, poo poo, sure.

Nomadic Scholar
Feb 6, 2013

If they really want to blow people away they'll make it use the ps3 as a memory bank. Still no back compatibility tho.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

exquisite tea posted:

For the last 20 years, game manufacturers have sought to create the most powerful consoles using cutting edge hardware. Unbeknownst to them, the secret to boosting performance was hiding in plain sight.

32 32x's ftw

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

remember back in the day when people were saying saddam hussein was buying thousands of ps2s to power a super weapon or whatever dumb bullshit

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

The cover story was he bought them to fly a nuke but he was in reality just trying to ruin Christmas by selling the PS2 out.

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

What do you think Saddam Husseins fav ps2 game was? I bet he would've liked Killer7.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

MechaSeinfeld posted:

What do you think Saddam Husseins fav ps2 game was? I bet he would've liked Killer7.

Burnout 2: Takedown

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I reckon Saddam was a MGS2 man.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
Weren't there a bunch of bargain-basement shooters where you killed Saddam as the last mission?

rabidsquid posted:

remember back in the day when people were saying saddam hussein was buying thousands of ps2s to power a super weapon or whatever dumb bullshit

This was the best ridiculous PS2 story. Second best was when they were claiming it could render Toy Story in real-time.

Macarius Wrench
Mar 28, 2017

by Lowtax
I don't particularly love playing Vanquish but your mental if you can't see it's an incredible game

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

I beat uncharted lost legacy. If not for the absence of nate/sully it would make all other uc games obsolete by stealing all their best sequences

Big recommend.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I have been having tremendous fun with Agents of Mayhem. I like the Saints Row series a lot and I really liked Crackdown 1.

This feels like a mix between SR2 and Crackdown. There is quite a bustling city with reasons to explore, lots of little side missions and fun characters. I hope Volition make more things because I do awfully enjoy their games! :D

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Also I tried to make a couple of gang tags.

If anyone approves, I will try to get them added. Or please someone make better ones! (I am not very artistic!!)

Zenzizenzizenzic
May 25, 2012

Fun Shoe

Real hurthling! posted:

I beat uncharted lost legacy. If not for the absence of nate/sully it would make all other uc games obsolete by stealing all their best sequences

Big recommend.

It still wins because the little Indian girl is cooler than all other UC characters combined

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009

ElwoodCuse posted:

This was the best ridiculous PS2 story. Second best was when they were claiming it could render Toy Story in real-time.

i'm partial to the claim that courses in Gran Turismo 3 would "age" in real time and grow long grass/roads would deteriorate if you didn't use them.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I'm also someone who didn't totally get into Vanquish but I can still tell it is brilliant. The way it balances safety with balls-out craziness is like nothing else from its genre.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

There was a tweet floating around recently that said that Sega has been in the business of publishing PC RTS games longer than they were a console manufacturer, which is true

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

VideoGames posted:

Also I tried to make a couple of gang tags.

If anyone approves, I will try to get them added. Or please someone make better ones! (I am not very artistic!!)

Hell yeah gimme both.

Vanquish. Die on your feet or own poo poo on your knees.