Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

:owned:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Annnnnnd I just I interviewed a guy that another recruiting firm FAILED TO TELL, OR ASK, OR CONFER WITH ME THAT THEY WERE SETTING UP A MOTHER loving INTERVIEW.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

jre posted:

You do like your dead platforms :rip:
something awful lol

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

ratbert90 posted:

Annnnnnd I just I interviewed a guy that another recruiting firm FAILED TO TELL, OR ASK, OR CONFER WITH ME THAT THEY WERE SETTING UP A MOTHER loving INTERVIEW.

so some dude just showed up with no warning?

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

qirex posted:

so some dude just showed up with no warning?

Yes, at 2 which is when I normally leave

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

ratbert90 posted:

So, how did the interview go?

:allears:

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Schadenboner posted:

So, how did the interview go?

:allears:

Horrible. Dude wouldn't stop talking over me.
Also the recruiter told him we use java and not JavaScript ( just the front-end and very little of it)

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

ratbert90 posted:

still kinda amazed they let someone so senior duck out at half-past-lunchtime, getting meeting time with you must be absolute hell

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

ratbert90 posted:

Also the recruiter told him we use java and not JavaScript ( just the front-end and very little of it)

lol

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

Bhodi posted:

still kinda amazed they let someone so senior duck out at half-past-lunchtime, getting meeting time with you must be absolute hell

reminder: this is so he can go home and do extra curricular work

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

jre posted:

reminder: this is so he can go home and do extra curricular work

:fap:

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Bhodi posted:

I get in at 6

That also.

FlapYoJacks fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Aug 22, 2017

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

ratbert90 posted:

I get in at 6
I would let out an IRL laugh if I ever saw a meeting request before 9am, just like I give the middle finger to anything after 4:30

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Bhodi posted:

I would let out an IRL laugh if I ever saw a meeting request before 9am, just like I give the middle finger to anything after 4:30

930 to 1 is the sweet spot for me

6 to 9 was traditionally the time I used to get actual work done. Now days that's YouTube time if I am at work.

FlapYoJacks fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Aug 22, 2017

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
presumably you eat lunch in there, which means people have a nice crisp 3 hour window in which to converse

i mean that's a pro move if you can get away with it, but i'm still shocked they let you

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Bhodi posted:

presumably you eat lunch in there, which means people have a nice crisp 3 hour window in which to converse

i mean that's a pro move if you can get away with it, but i'm still shocked they let you

I have gotten away with it for 2 years. I straight up click decline on any meeting after 1 or before 930 as well. :smug:

That being said, I am still really REALLY pissed at whatever recruiting agency set this interview up and didn't tell me. I am all down for changing my schedule a bit for a interview, but a warning would have been nice. :psyduck:

FlapYoJacks fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Aug 22, 2017

my homie dhall
Dec 9, 2010

honey, oh please, it's just a machine

jre posted:

lomarf

grats l30

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
the platforms luigi likes are cool because they are well put together and accomplish a lot under very tight resource constraints and they are dead because those constraints have since been alleviated

ruby on rails on the other hand is dead because websites are popular enough these days that sometimes more than five people might use one at the same time

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Bhodi posted:

there are a fair number of people that keep east coast hours on the west coast

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

hobbesmaster posted:

i did that for about half a year and it cold loving sucked. the only way i'd do it again is if i got paid some stupid amount of money that I'd spend a year or two socking away and then quit for something better.

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

hobbesmaster posted:

they respect which coast matters

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Bhodi posted:

every few months I'll have a handful of conference calls at 9-10pm because international and it loving sucks

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

jre posted:

my last job was google loving web loving toolkit

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

youll be on coldfusion soon

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

One of my greatest joys in life is rejecting sales guys meetings at times I don't want to do them.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

power botton posted:

One of my greatest joys in life is rejecting sales guys meetings at times I don't want to do them.

:yeah:

Rejecting meetings always feels so good.

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

ratbert90 posted:

Rejecting meetings always feels so good.

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

As one of the only remote employees at <current workplace>, nobody sends me meeting invites unless they really need me there because they all hate getting on a conference call rather than just in a conference room. I don't know if it's a good thing or not so far.

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

MononcQc posted:

As one of the only remote employees at <current workplace>, nobody sends me meeting invites unless they really need me there because they all hate getting on a conference call rather than just in a conference room. I don't know if it's a good thing or not so far.

that's a bad thing

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

if you're just using that job as a 2 year platform for more figgies elsewhere, it's fine. if you want to stay and get promoted from within (lol @ that happening) that's bad.

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

hobbesmaster posted:

i did this for a while, it was great. but i also go to work for 8 anyway so it wasn't much different.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

jony neuemonic posted:

i did this for a while, it was great. but i also go to work for 8 anyway so it wasn't much different.
driving into work first thing in the morning with no traffic owns
having a couple of hours in the morning to get stuff done (or screw around online) owns
leaving work at 3pm (and light traffic) also owns

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

MononcQc posted:

As one of the only remote employees

that's the tldr and it's bad :(

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

FMguru posted:

driving into work first thing in the morning with no traffic owns
having a couple of hours in the morning to get stuff done (or screw around online) owns
leaving work at 3pm (and light traffic) also owns

Everything about going in and leaving early owns.

I used to get in around 5, but now I work out at 430 and come in at 6. I feel smug knowing I ran a mile and spun 15 before most people woke up. :smug:

It also helps with concentration throughout the rest of the day.

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

ratbert90 posted:

I used to get in around 5, but now I work out at 430 and come in at 6. I feel smug knowing I ran a mile and spun 15 before most people woke up. :smug:

when do you sleep?

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

when do you sleep?

10 pm I am usually out.

edit* Totally missed this:

You feel bad about being a not-real programmer amigo? :smug:

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

Diva Cupcake posted:

if you're just using that job as a 2 year platform for more figgies elsewhere, it's fine. if you want to stay and get promoted from within (lol @ that happening) that's bad.

I'm a systems architect and there's literally nowhere up to go on the technical track aside from taking the role of my direct boss (lead architect) in this company. Above from him are top VPs right under the CEO and I wouldn't get those jobs anyway.

So yeah, more figgies might be had only by switching jobs or the CEO eventually selling the company or buying back options, or cool and good bonuses.

InfrastructureWeek posted:

that's the tldr and it's bad :(

It's not great since a lot of informal talk is missed, but I'm glad I no longer have the 3+ hours of meetings in google hangouts a day I had at Heroku.

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

ratbert90 posted:

me and my carpool buddy used to do that, it ruled leaving every day at like 3pm on the dot -- we did it after we got in 'trouble' for leaving at like 4:50pm instead of 5:00pm

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

InfrastructureWeek posted:

me and my carpool buddy used to do that, it ruled leaving every day at like 3pm on the dot -- we did it after we got in 'trouble' for leaving at like 4:50pm instead of 5:00pm
its so great in high summer to walk out of work and have SIX HOURS of daylight left to do dtuff

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax
lol a salesperson would never dare schedule a meeting with me

• Locked thread