Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

It isn't necessarily a "how he became the joker" movie. Could be about his first major crime spree or gang war. Make Black Mask the antagonist and Batman a force of nature.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
This year a DC property that hadn't ever been portrayed on film before has become the single most successful superhero origin movie of all time, but sure let's go and gently caress around with Joker some more

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

They recorded the TV show on film.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Calaveron posted:

Pretty much the only universal constants in any piece of media is that
The Joker was just a regular guy
Then he had a REALLY bad day

That's not really true, there's several of his origins, including the animated series/Tim Burton-verse where he was a murdering sack of crap well before getting jokerized.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Gotham is still keeping their options open as to whether Jerome is actually the Joker or just a guy who inspired the Joker. He's done some Joker-esque things but still isn't running around in clown facepaint or anything like that.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I remember there was a time where I loved The Joker as a character, but DC has spent a long time beating that out of me.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

One of the things about the Ledger Joker was how he kept changing his origin story and when you find yourself in a situation where you're having to compare Ledger and your Joker, well good luck with the movie.

Something I've always heard but never looked into is that Ledger's Joker was going to be heavily featured in third Nolan movie. I bet that would've been awesome.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
I figured Cillian Murphy's role would have gone to Ledger had he been alive. That scene where he presides over a kangaroo court reminded me a lot of Judge Joker from that BTAS episode. Not to mention that the "death by exile" bit totally sounded like something the Joker would have said.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

They've gotten joker terribly wrong in animation, but he's really fun in comics at the moment, and I really don't think they've ever gotten him wrong in live action. Even Leto I was surprised to find was really good and an interesting and unique take on the character. The stuff I thought I was going to hate was all marketing bullshit and not in the actual performance.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

hiddenriverninja posted:

Why do they keep going back to the Joker? It's both tired and tiring.

Cos he's soooooo badass.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Batman should have killed the joker so many times

the blood of all the innocents joker keeps killing is on batmans hands

his ideology of "no gunns and no murda" is so childish and juvenile and it keeps getting people hurt

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
batman stands infront of hitler. There's a gun on the table and batman has but a few seconds to pick it up and kill hitler

"murder is wrong!

batman shouts as hitler gets away

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Batman shot Darkseid with intent to kill. He'd kill Hitler if he thought he couldn't be imprisoned.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Al Borland Corp. posted:

They've gotten joker terribly wrong in animation, but he's really fun in comics at the moment, and I really don't think they've ever gotten him wrong in live action. Even Leto I was surprised to find was really good and an interesting and unique take on the character. The stuff I thought I was going to hate was all marketing bullshit and not in the actual performance.

Did they stop with him just being some slasher movie killer? For the New 52 that seems like the way they went, and it was terrible. I loved the Joker when he was more interested in crime as more of a game than anything else. He would do crazy poo poo to see what he could get away with, He was sadistic and cruel, but in the end, he didn't care.

The Idea of Batman punching the poo poo out of Hitler is pretty good.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
His last actual appearance in comics (until dark days I guess? I still haven't read it) had him pretending to be immortal (down to faking old photographs with him in them) to gently caress with Batman's head and turned everyone in Gotham into angry Joker zombies because gently caress it. Neither of those are particularly slasher villain-y I'd say.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
I've been looking a bit into this Sentry fellow because of the current story missions in Marvel Puzzle Quest, and I was wondering if anyone else thinks he'd be a really interesting character to adapt for film or TV.

His comic biography is a hell of a mess, but making something more streamlined for the general audience could be kinda neat. A godlike entity with schizophrenia whose main adversary is another aspect of himself? I'd be totally down for something like that.

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Chainsawsuit posted:

The Joker. Let old Joker put a smile on that sad face! A smile… of blood! (he holds up a dead raccoon with Christmas lights on it that spell the word “AIDS”) Aw… did the bad man scare you? What if I… go pee-pee on the Bible!
Government agent. You’ve gone too far, Joker! Stop!
The Joker. Uh oh! This clown needs to wipe up this mess… and this should do nicely… (he reaches for an American flag)
Government agent. I’m questioning everything!

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Jamesman posted:

I've been looking a bit into this Sentry fellow because of the current story missions in Marvel Puzzle Quest, and I was wondering if anyone else thinks he'd be a really interesting character to adapt for film or TV.

His comic biography is a hell of a mess, but making something more streamlined for the general audience could be kinda neat. A godlike entity with schizophrenia whose main adversary is another aspect of himself? I'd be totally down for something like that.

One discussion I remember from earlier this thread was about how it would be fun if they went all in on the "forgotten hero" angle and announced "Sentry 2" or made out that it was the reboot of the original Sentry movie from the 1970s with a big star like Brad Pitt playing the Sentry, and in all the promotion they'd talk about how great and important the original Sentry movie was and how they want to recapture the spirit of the original.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Y'all didn't tell me Scorsese is producing that Joker movie.

Lager
Mar 9, 2004

Give me the secret to the anti-puppet equation!

Wheat Loaf posted:

One discussion I remember from earlier this thread was about how it would be fun if they went all in on the "forgotten hero" angle and announced "Sentry 2" or made out that it was the reboot of the original Sentry movie from the 1970s with a big star like Brad Pitt playing the Sentry, and in all the promotion they'd talk about how great and important the original Sentry movie was and how they want to recapture the spirit of the original.

It's a perfect use for the deaging CGI tech they've been using so much in their films. Who could they deage for fake clips of the 70s Sentry film, though?

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

Lager posted:

It's a perfect use for the deaging CGI tech they've been using so much in their films. Who could they deage for fake clips of the 70s Sentry film, though?

Carrie Fisher?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Lager posted:

Warren Beatty, Robert Redford, Harrison Ford etc.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

James Gunn says they're looking at adding Richard Rider (there's a joke in there if you think on it) to the MCU in Guardians 3. Interesting to see how they work Nova into what the Nova Corps is in the movies.

https://twitter.com/Slate/status/900396385589231616

I mean, I'm not optimistic. I can't remember the last time some producer referred to something as "gritty" and it didn't make me wince.

zoux fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Aug 23, 2017

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I'm happy to see Nova. Hell, I'm happy to see more cosmic Marvel in any capacity. My dad introduced me to comics at a young age and Nova was always one of his favorites. Kinda weird to grow up in my time and never see him in...anything, really.

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

zoux posted:

One of the things about the Ledger Joker was how he kept changing his origin story and when you find yourself in a situation where you're having to compare Ledger and your Joker, well good luck with the movie.

I just caught TDK recently on HBO and was struck by this as well. Having the 'unreliable narrator" being aware of that and constantly changing his story was one more aspect that made him compelling.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

zoux posted:

James Gunn says they're looking at adding Richard Rider (there's a joke in there if you think on it) to the MCU in Guardians 3. Interesting to see how they work Nova into what the Nova Corps is in the movies.

https://twitter.com/Slate/status/900396385589231616

I mean, I'm not optimistic. I can't remember the last time some producer referred to something as "gritty" and it didn't make me wince.

Maybe as some kind of elite Nova agents use the helmets? Or it's an old, forgotten origin of the modern group?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

SonicRulez posted:

I'm happy to see Nova. Hell, I'm happy to see more cosmic Marvel in any capacity. My dad introduced me to comics at a young age and Nova was always one of his favorites. Kinda weird to grow up in my time and never see him in...anything, really.

Nova's run through Annihilation, both his own title and the main crossover, is one of the best modern character runs. Also prominently featured Cosmo!

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Cosmic Marvel is pretty much back to being something no one gives a poo poo about, but Annihilation, Nova, and Guardians were some of the most critically-acclaimed and interesting books Marvel were putting out for quite a few years.

I mean I guess Hickman's whole thing counts as cosmic but he put Iron Man in it, that doesn't count.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Yeah Abnett and Lanning really murdered it. It's one of the best reasons to get Marvel Unlimited, you can read the whole thing for $10 bucks and cancel if you want.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Ultimates has been pretty bananas and awesome, though?

CityMidnightJunky
May 11, 2013

by Smythe
His name is Dick Rider?

Amazing.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

CityMidnightJunky posted:

His name is Dick Rider?

Amazing.

I also wouldn't be opposed to Sam eventually finding his way to the MCU.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

http://www.cbr.com/ben-affleck-batman-film-not-dceu/?utm_source=CBR-TW&utm_medium=Social-Distribution&utm_campaign=CBR-TW&view=list

What the hell is going on over at DC's film division?

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

People pay waaaaaaay too much attention to movies in preproduction.

CityMidnightJunky posted:

His name is Dick Rider?

Amazing.

It's not like Peter Quill is exactly subtle either.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

The way it's phrased sounds like it could still take place in the same universe, but just not further the meta-narrative, which seems like a weird distinction to make.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Casey Affleck was saying that he doesn't think his brother is going to appear in another Bat-film so it may not even come up.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

If it's just a case of "weird wording", I still don't really think these kinds of statements are a good thing, especially considering the reputation a lot of them bar Wonder Woman have been getting. It's not really the time to be confusing people.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
DC: We have a cinematic universe just like Marvel's! Except this one doesn't count. Or that one.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Other than BvS being a direct sequel to the worst film ever made, I don't feel like the DCEU has gotten a lot out of their shared universe anyway. I mean, granted, there was barely any crossover in the early Marvel films too, but DC is pretty obviously intent on skipping all that "building things up to pay them off" and "letting you know what the characters are like before having them punch each other and then team up against horrible looking CG" stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

That's dumb. There's a clear character arc for Superman between the two and a clear character arc for Batman within the second. The second film builds a lot on the character and on the world and how it has reacted to him.

The third, featuring Superman's return, is going to finish his arc and bring him full circle into a triumphant symbol of hope, most likely.

Also there's been a longer period of time between Man of Steel and Justice League than there was between Iron Man and Avengers, with Justice League having one less main character having had their own movie than Avengers did. The idea that a singular vision from one director over a period of 4 1/2 years and 3 films (with a fourth where the same director has story credit) is "rushed" is ridiculous.

John Wick of Dogs fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Aug 23, 2017

• Locked thread