Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

sfwarlock posted:

The new things I learned today from Marvin Graystache:

- Putting the BIOS installer on a thumbdrive is a great way to spread viruses. He would prefer to burn it to a CD-RW and use an external USB cd drive he carries around* except that then it isn't "always the latest and greatest, direct from" the manufacturer. For the same reason, the installer shall not go on the network drive.

(*: He really does this. So he doesn't spread viruses. And he bitches about how "Microsoft took away" CD drives "so you have to use flash drives.")

- Copying a file is different from moving it in terms of how the file arrives. If you want to make sure it arrives correctly at the destination, you must never move - copy first then manually delete if desired. Otherwise it might arrive corrupted.

- A user stated that she did not get a mail she was supposed to get. He told her that "setting up any rules in Outlook can cause you to lose mail" and deleted all of her 20+ rules. While continuing to repeat himself in a louder voice, cutting her off every time she said something.

(The actual issue, as discovered by me hunting down someone who did get the mail: she was left off the list of recipients.)

- (Really an extension of something I learned yesterday.) If you're plugged in to a LAN cable, you have a "constant, steady" connection. If you're on the wifi, every time your computer wants to do a thing, it "makes a call to the server", which naturally takes longer.

- SSDs do not count as hard drives. They are SSDs, which are completely different.

- In terms of image quality, VGA = DVI = Displayport = HDMI. It doesn't matter what you pick, as long as the computer(/docking station) and monitor both have the right port.

- In terms of terminology, "VGA" is a generic term for any sort of display cable.

- If you push hard enough, a flathead bit can do the job of a Torx.

- This one I don't even know that I understand well enough to relay it. We started talking about Linux, and I think this is what he claimed:

-- Linux is "like DOS", that is, it's just a command line, you have to buy and install Windows over it if you want a GUI, sort of like how Windows 98 and earlier could run in "pure" DOS mode. (Which is almost sort of kind of one way to describe it but "buy"? And buy Windows? )

-- If "the Linux company" wants to succeed, Linux must be made to look and function just like Windows, including making all the Windows software work on it.

Another hint about that small utility: it's something else Microsoft "took away" (he was smart, you see, and put it on his CD, except then Microsoft made it so it doesn't work anymore, which is the explanation for anything going wrong with an image ever. because he can't run his beloved utility to "fix up" the image so there won't be problems.)

EDIT: As you can probably tell, he talks about Microsoft the way some people talk about "the gubbermint!".

How old is this guy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

sfwarlock posted:

- A user stated that she did not get a mail she was supposed to get. He told her that "setting up any rules in Outlook can cause you to lose mail" and deleted all of her 20+ rules. While continuing to repeat himself in a louder voice, cutting her off every time she said something.

(The actual issue, as discovered by me hunting down someone who did get the mail: she was left off the list of recipients.

This is amazing :allears:

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
Nothing like having your carefully curated Outlook rules deleted while being condescended to. That's a two-fer!

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
USMT is definitely still a thing.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

AlternateAccount posted:

USMT is definitely still a thing.

but is absolutely the wrong tool for "imaging" a computer, and can't be GUI customized with the Easy Transfer utility anymore. You need to manually edit XML files to change USMT behavior and there's just no loving way this greybeard has the skills.

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Nothing like having your carefully curated Outlook rules deleted while being condescended to. That's a two-fer!

I'm so angry about this rule deletion. I somehow got emotionally invested in this.

Today I got an e-mail that just said "hey chat me when you get a second" when I put up an away message that said email me any questions or open a service desk ticket. Someone managed to email me the dreaded "hey" on a chat program.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

I'm hoping that guy did it to the wrong manager/VP/executive assistant and is just being kept around until his replacement is trained.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before

Sickening posted:

Holy gently caress...

Please don't tell me palo alto virtual routers with an external interface and an internal interface don't need some kind of static route for them to access the internet. If this is true then I have been chasing my tail for hours.

poo poo doesn't make sense. Palo Alto wtf.

your static default route in that configuration is simply pointing to another virtual router, essentially you are creating a connection between two different routing instances (like VRF's on a CISCO device). This makes no sense if you want traffic to flow to the internet within that virtual router because the internet link is directly connected, so you should have a next-hop ip address instead of a "next-vr".

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

abigserve posted:

your static default route in that configuration is simply pointing to another virtual router, essentially you are creating a connection between two different routing instances (like VRF's on a CISCO device). This makes no sense if you want traffic to flow to the internet within that virtual router because the internet link is directly connected, so you should have a next-hop ip address instead of a "next-vr".

The point , while badly, is that this configuration is dumb and should be doing exactly the opposite of what is happening. The virtual interface somehow leaves through interface eth1/3 despite the static route telling it to go to another virtual router. My boss is telling me how this config has worked for more than a year yet this poo poo should have never worked for a second and its baffling me how it is.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Sickening posted:

The point , while badly, is that this configuration is dumb and should be doing exactly the opposite of what is happening. The virtual interface somehow leaves through interface eth1/3 despite the static route telling it to go to another virtual router. My boss is telling me how this config has worked for more than a year yet this poo poo should have never worked for a second and its baffling me how it is.

Could it be defaulting to that port because it can't complete the route through the one you're telling it to use?

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I'm hoping that guy did it to the wrong manager/VP/executive assistant and is just being kept around until his replacement is trained.

That would make the replacement... uh... me. :ohdear:

EDIT:

Sirotan posted:

How old is this guy?

I'm guessing somewhere between 65 and "er than dirt".

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Could it be defaulting to that port because it can't complete the route through the one you're telling it to use?

I mean its possible, but it just seems so unlikely considering these are aren't virtual switches.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

sfwarlock posted:

Think you can get away with doing things in a sane way, at least when he's not looking? Because that's probably the best way to make yourself look more viable long-term than him.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

You know, I want to thank you for posting this. I wanted to be a jerk and say "this isn't how routers work" but then I had an idea. Why the gently caress is the router interface doing this bullshit? How the gently caress could it work without a static loving route. What is the ip address of this interface?

"Oh look at that, this loving interface is loving dynamic, the loving ISP connect isn't loving static. Its acting like a loving switch."

Someone got cheap and lazy on this one.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Sickening posted:

You know, I want to thank you for posting this. I wanted to be a jerk and say "this isn't how routers work" but then I had an idea. Why the gently caress is the router interface doing this bullshit? How the gently caress could it work without a static loving route. What is the ip address of this interface?

"Oh look at that, this loving interface is loving dynamic, the loving ISP connect isn't loving static. Its acting like a loving switch."

Someone got cheap and lazy on this one.

If it wasn't obeying a static route, it almost certainly had to be doing something dynamically.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

sfwarlock posted:

- Putting the BIOS installer on a thumbdrive is a great way to spread viruses. He would prefer to burn it to a CD-RW and use an external USB cd drive he carries around* except that then it isn't "always the latest and greatest, direct from" the manufacturer. For the same reason, the installer shall not go on the network drive.

(*: He really does this. So he doesn't spread viruses. And he bitches about how "Microsoft took away" CD drives "so you have to use flash drives.")

- Copying a file is different from moving it in terms of how the file arrives. If you want to make sure it arrives correctly at the destination, you must never move - copy first then manually delete if desired. Otherwise it might arrive corrupted.

(The actual issue, as discovered by me hunting down someone who did get the mail: she was left off the list of recipients.)

- (Really an extension of something I learned yesterday.) If you're plugged in to a LAN cable, you have a "constant, steady" connection. If you're on the wifi, every time your computer wants to do a thing, it "makes a call to the server", which naturally takes longer.

- SSDs do not count as hard drives. They are SSDs, which are completely different.

- In terms of image quality, VGA = DVI = Displayport = HDMI. It doesn't matter what you pick, as long as the computer(/docking station) and monitor both have the right port.

- In terms of terminology, "VGA" is a generic term for any sort of display cable.

- This one I don't even know that I understand well enough to relay it. We started talking about Linux, and I think this is what he claimed:

-- Linux is "like DOS", that is, it's just a command line, you have to buy and install Windows over it if you want a GUI, sort of like how Windows 98 and earlier could run in "pure" DOS mode. (Which is almost sort of kind of one way to describe it but "buy"? And buy Windows? )

-- If "the Linux company" wants to succeed, Linux must be made to look and function just like Windows, including making all the Windows software work on it.

Another hint about that small utility: it's something else Microsoft "took away" (he was smart, you see, and put it on his CD, except then Microsoft made it so it doesn't work anymore, which is the explanation for anything going wrong with an image ever. because he can't run his beloved utility to "fix up" the image so there won't be problems.)

EDIT: As you can probably tell, he talks about Microsoft the way some people talk about "the gubbermint!".

My frown just got larger and larger as the list went on, and I'm pretty sure I look like I had a stroke at this point.

You must never quit; these stories are too good.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
Anyone else working over night? I'm helping a client cut over a production system this evening.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

sfwarlock posted:

That would make the replacement... uh... me. :ohdear:

EDIT:

You can hope so.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

sfwarlock posted:

Can I job shadow you for a day?

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
Not pissing me off: Office is empty this week as most colleagues have gone to Gamescon.

Pissing me off: Not being able to go to Gamescon because my boss is on vacation.
It would be a wonderful feeling to have the hotel and food and trip all paid for by the company and also getting paid to attend the con.

Maybe next year, if i'm still here.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

sfwarlock posted:

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Outsourced support

I hate companies that do this. Especially when they do it to a country where English isn't the first language. A large mid-west grocery chain is one of our customers, their IT is outsourced to India. I can't understand a loving word this person says to me on the phone. I tried to explain to her to just go through email since it's far easier.

Even worse than the poor English and heavy accent, they can't think for themselves. I'm sure they're trained to do that. For example, they're asking for an account number. They only answer that number is valid or invalid. Nobody over there says "oh that account number is for system X or vendors not customers", or "it looks like you go through company X for that so you won't have your own account number..."

Even worse, ask them a question and you just get dead airtime. No response? No? Okay. loving mindless useless robots.

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?

mllaneza posted:

Except for all the trigger warnings in every post.

Aww man of all the things that is the least worst, I even use a flathead on torx sometimes as although I've got the bits I don't have a skinny driver to use when fitting HP mini VESA mounts, so in goes the flathead.

Either way;

18 Character Limit posted:

These stories are gold. Please never stop posting them.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

sfwarlock posted:

Having done this more than once, that is in fact a valid method for getting a lovely non-standard torx bolt out of something. Marvin 'stopped clock' Greystache, right twice a day, due to sheer coincidence.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

sfwarlock posted:

I've got a habit of copying things across volumes instead of moving them because I did get burnt by this (the volume I was copying to was apparently on it's last legs, took the write and then I couldn't read the file back off of it), but all told this is literally the same kind of magical thinking from users that do those goofy print-scan-open-screenshot-email chains because "someone told me to do it this way". It's like he learned everything, once, 20 years ago and then never thought about why, just said "okay this is how you do it then, good enough".

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before

Sickening posted:

ah ok. yeah that aint right. No dynamic routing or PPP setup?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Bob Morales posted:

Outsourced support

I hate companies that do this. Especially when they do it to a country where English isn't the first language. A large mid-west grocery chain is one of our customers, their IT is outsourced to India. I can't understand a loving word this person says to me on the phone. I tried to explain to her to just go through email since it's far easier.

Even worse than the poor English and heavy accent, they can't think for themselves. I'm sure they're trained to do that. For example, they're asking for an account number. They only answer that number is valid or invalid. Nobody over there says "oh that account number is for system X or vendors not customers", or "it looks like you go through company X for that so you won't have your own account number..."

Even worse, ask them a question and you just get dead airtime. No response? No? Okay. loving mindless useless robots.

It does sometimes seem like they aren't allowed / willing to give a negative answer to a question sometimes. "Can you have this done by x?" "Yes!". Oh what a loving huge surprise, the date rolls around and it's not possible at all, and the person you spoke to never made any notes or got the request in front of the right person.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

abigserve posted:

ah ok. yeah that aint right. No dynamic routing or PPP setup?

Was going to say, you don't have a route setup and then a rule set somewhere else to route all traffic matching a really wide set of values via a different path?

https://www.paloaltonetworks.com/documentation/70/pan-os/pan-os/policy/policy-based-forwarding

sixth and maimed
Mar 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
A sales rep forwarded me an email from one of our clients, only adding 'Hey, see below' to it:

Hello

Because I've got a new pc, my password for the webshop's gone.

My login is xxxx@xxxx.com.

Please get me a new password.

Kind regards.

I emailed a screenshot back to the sales rep of our website with the 'forgotten password' link highlighted. These are the people that should be pusing our clients to use the website for ordering rather than emailing, calling or faxing. :argh:

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007

22 Eargesplitten posted:

You can hope so.

No, I don't. Even without Yellowbeard here, I don't want to stay at this job. It's 95% deskside support (with no remote tools - that doesn't give the right feeling for the users, apparently) and 5% user admin in AD. Not a good long-term gig. Not really a good short-term gig, actually, but it's money.

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

Having done this more than once, that is in fact a valid method for getting a lovely non-standard torx bolt out of something. Marvin 'stopped clock' Greystache, right twice a day, due to sheer coincidence.

Ah, but this was not "we don't have the right torx, so I'm going to Macguyver something up." This was "Put away your screwdriver, kid, I got this, this is a little trick I know." I had the right bit in my hand, but no, he just had to force a flathead in there...

Last clue about this magic program you have to run on the image so there are no problems: even the author has said not only is it no longer necessary, it probably never was...

sixth and maimed
Mar 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
Also, a sales rep called me because the internet connection for their location was down (and the link to the ERP). Not because I could look into solving that issue, but because he wanted to dictate a sales order to me over the phone. :fuckoff:

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

sfwarlock posted:

Last clue about this magic program you have to run on the image so there are no problems: even the author has said not only is it no longer necessary, it probably never was...

Got it! NewSID?

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe

sfwarlock posted:

No, I don't. Even without Yellowbeard here, I don't want to stay at this job. It's 95% deskside support (with no remote tools - that doesn't give the right feeling for the users, apparently) and 5% user admin in AD. Not a good long-term gig. Not really a good short-term gig, actually, but it's money.

Ah, but this was not "we don't have the right torx, so I'm going to Macguyver something up." This was "Put away your screwdriver, kid, I got this, this is a little trick I know." I had the right bit in my hand, but no, he just had to force a flathead in there...

Can you build stuff? Like WDS, WSUS, etc.. if you can set that all up and manage it. You could learn alot. If that guy was in charge, I suspect that alot of things can be heavily improved. i'd say take a look on building new servers. Automate whatever you can in the AD with powershell.

KennyTheFish
Jan 13, 2004
Newsid?

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Sefal posted:

Can you build stuff? Like WDS, WSUS, etc.. if you can set that all up and manage it. You could learn alot. If that guy was in charge, I suspect that alot of things can be heavily improved. i'd say take a look on building new servers. Automate whatever you can in the AD with powershell.

Use powershell to complete one off tasks too. It doesn't sound like any requests will be expected in a timely manner. Save every small powershell task in a repository and start mashing the parts together for bigger tasks.

But for the love of god don't tell Greybeard what you're doing. I'm sure he thinks powershell is the new DOS and using it manipulates the hardware code, causing viruses.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Making a mistake in PowerShell summons Shodan.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Thanks Ants posted:

Making a mistake in PowerShell summons Shodan.

I would legit pay like $15 for a Text-to-SHODAN app, that did nothing but read whatever you put into it in the SHODAN voice.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.

sfwarlock posted:

Kinda late but I do this. :( Mostly because my eyes can't tell the difference rather than ignorance. I KNOW HDMI\DisplayPort > DVI > VGA but hosed if I can tell you how.

Things kinda pissing me off:

Branch office had a power outage. No alert triggered and no remote way of powering the server back on. :sigh: My company is kinda cheap when it comes to nice stuff like that.

Learning MDT. Holy poo poo, can this thing be any more obtuse? I'm about to settle for handwriting scripts for the things I want to do rather than learn MDT. :stare:

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
Honestly summoning Shodan would probably make sfwarlock's job better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

If you have a remote office with no IT staff and you don't have out-of-band management on anything then :sigh: