Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

Robindaybird posted:

Not to mention most miscarriages happen well before the third trimester, and I think Kyrie said miscarriage not stillbirth (someone will have to check) and being roughly a Yakuza Princess even if she did reach the final months she'd be more likely in a hospital - where babies and pregnant women are watched like hawks.

It is strongly possible Battler is Kyrie's biochild, but the circumstances is murky likely require someone pulling some serious strings.

Asumu and Kyrie were literally in labor in the same hospital on the same day. It was a stillbirth.

Also it is 1968 Japan so let's not try to cite standard hospital cultural practices unless you happen to have some sources that say what a delivery room was like 50 years ago in Japan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
do you still not understand?
Yeah, 'miscarriage' is a mistranslation. It was a stillbirth.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

lookw posted:

the Sumatas (i think thats their name?)

Sumadera

sumata is thigh sex

witchcore ricepunk
Jul 6, 2003

The Golden Witch
Who Solved the Epitaph

A Probability of 1/2,578,917

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

I remember when we were arguing about whether or not there was a conspiracy, and if so, whether some of the participants were bribed. :allears:

:allears: :allears: :allears:

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,

From far away, I could hear someone calling to me. But it was a very strange sort of distance. Though it felt very far away, the voice also seemed to be coming from right beside me.

BGM: Hope

"It's okay. It's just a fight between a boy and his father. And I'm sure the rumors blow everything out of proportion. Everything's just being exaggerated."
"Indeed. There are none who can say with certainty that Battler will not return to this island. You would do well to remain strong."

...Where... is this place...? I seem to remember it somehow. It's like it reminds me of the scenery of a strange dream I once saw. Then, this must be another dream... I was there, under an arbor in a golden rose garden, and two witches in white and red dresses were showering words of encouragement upon me...

"You can be sure that those rumor-mongering young servants are embellishing the story however they please. So, he has changed his name, they say?! Surely, this can be nothing more than a family quarrel."
"...Thank you. I wish I could believe that..."
"Of course that's true. He's a boy, after all. You can hardly be surprised that he's had a few arguments with his dad."
"Precisely, as you say. Clearly, they will make it up to each other once they cool their heads."
"When men argue, it's always fiery at first, but they burn out quickly."
"In contrast, an argument between women burns like a steady flame, but the fuel never goes dry. Men's arguments are fierce but short! Quick and easy."
"...You're right. I hope Battler-san and Rudolf-sama... make up soon..."
"Oh, they will! Haven't you heard all the times Battler has spoken of it? He always fights with his father! This is just another of those fights. The death of his mother and his father's remarriage have merely upset him."
"It sounds as though he's gone to live with his mother's parents, but after he's cooled his head for a few days, he'll come back. It's like a kid running away from home, see?"

The two witches kept saying that Battler's fight hadn't been anything huge. If it had been a mere family quarrel, the rumors wouldn't have started in the first place. Taking an optimistic view here isn't likely to prove useful...

"And either way, this is a problem between Battler and his father. If you're patient, time will heal all wounds! There's no point in you feeling bad over it."
"Just because Battler happened to be absent today doesn't mean we can be sure he'll never come back. All this means is that Rudolf came alone today."
"True. Of course, he will be at the next family conference, as energetic as ever! By then, Rudolf will probably bring that Kyrie here too. Battler may be sulky about it, but I am certain that he will come too!"
"...You're right. Yeah. I'm sure... you're right."

In fact, if I could, I'd like to flip through the calendar until autumn right now and check to see whether he does come to the next conference. If he does, then all of my fears are groundless. It would mean the rumor-mongering family members and servants had just blown things out of proportion...

If Battler-san were right here, I'd like to question him right away... Hey, it isn't true that you'll never come to Rokkenjima again, right...? And then, if he said that of course he would come again, it would be such a relief...

I don't know the phone number for Rudolf-sama's house, but I could probably look it up if I tried. However, as a servant of the family, I have no excuse for making the call. And anyway, I had no way of knowing the phone number at Battler's grandparents' house... I couldn't do anything except wait for Rudolf-sama's family to come visit and hope that my fears were groundless... However, will I be able to make it through the day feeling like this...?

No way. I doubt I'll sleep a wink tonight. Just waiting around, feeling like this, when I don't know when my next chance will come... I can't do that... Will it be next month? Or the month after? ...In the worst case, I might have to wait until the next family conference. And I have to wait that long... while holding back this suffocating feeling...

...I can't bear it...

"...Uh, that..."

I... made the decision to start a new life. I didn't want keep on being a servant by force of habit. I made the decision to step into a new life, and to leave my old life as a servant behind.

"And Battler promised that he'd come here on the day of your decision, right...?"
"...Ummm, yes..."
"Tact is not one of my strong points, so I shall speak frankly. You made the decision and resolved yourself to starting a new life with Battler, correct...?"
"...A new life... with... Battler-san..."
"You are afraid that Battler will not come for you on the day of your decision. However, there is more to that day of decision than just Battler coming to see you."
"It's also the day for you to show your resolve to spend the rest of your life with Battler."
"That resolve resides within you yourself. It is not something that requires Battler's visit to become complete, correct?"
"...Shannon. Do you now have the resolve to spend the rest of your life with him? You decided to put it off until the next family conference because you didn't have that resolve the last time, right?"
"What does it mean to live life with Battler? Have you ever thought seriously about it in detail?"
"Well, uh..."

We're both underage, so it's too early to talk about... umm... marriage. However, if I quit working as a servant, I should have many more opportunities to meet him. Once I quit work here, I'll return to the Fukuin House. I have my wages for serving the family, so I should have more than enough to travel to Battler-san's house to play. And when I graduate from school, I can rent an apartment near to Battler-san's house.

Then, well... I can work while going to school. That life would be a lot more difficult than I first thought. However, I'd be able to see Battler-san much, much more often. If not every day, then every week. I won't be a servant anymore, so there won't be any difference in class. I can call him whenever I want. And I'm already doing both school and work. Thanks to my experience here, I know more than enough to do simple housework...

"...Doesn't that sound like a fun life? You can rent a humble abode, and once you've built up your own home, you can invite Battler over."
"And then, the time you spend together, the world the two of you make, will begin. Doesn't that sound wonderful?"
"...Y... yes. It does sound a bit... wonderful..."

This was the first time I had ever imagined that future clearly. My love for him, and my honest desire to live my life with him. Earlier, I was able to consider both of these deeply. However, now that I'm clearly imagining the future I plan to choose, I finally understand. I must be aware of how much determination will be needed to reach that future.

"You dream of marriage, eventually, don't you?"
"Hoh! Hoh! Girls these days, dating with marriage in mind at such a young age...!"
"W, well, that's a bit, umm..."
"Don't deny your dreams, okay? There's no point in taking a first step if your eyes are closed and you don't look to the future."
"If a girl's in love with a man, there's nothing wrong with thinking 'I wanna marry hi~m'! That's a young girl's natural right."

My face had turned bright red. Earlier, I thought that considering marriage really was a bit premature, so I tried as best I could not to think about it. However, now that the witches had encouraged me to imagine it, that image was both exciting and fresh. I felt an indescribable feeling of refreshment and awakening, like the gentle breeze that washes over you when you go outside during a brief spot of sunshine on a rainy day.

Certainly, I didn't have determination on that level before now. I need to create that determination by the time the next family conference comes around. If I can't do that, then sticking around as a servant on this island is no more than I deserve.

"True. A trial to be overcome."
"...A trial...? Why is that...?"
"Fool. Battler promised that he would come for you at the next family conference, did he not?"
"He said he'd come on a white horse, right?"
"Y, yes..."
"You are thinking that Battler will not come anymore. In other words, you have no trust in Battler's promise."
"That's why this is a trial. To pass through this trial, you'll have to show that you can trust him and wait."
"...A trial..."

I hadn't thought of it that way. Since he promised to come for me in a year... Then I must believe that he will come for me in a year. If I doubt that, I don't have the right to wait for him in the first place.

"Oh, why would that be?"
"If he knows that you will live together and eventually exchange marriage vows, having the name Ushiromiya would cause problems, since Shannon is a servant of the Ushiromiya family."
"Ah, I see! He realizes that there'll be all kinds of trouble if he decides to marry a servant girl, so he's abandoned the Ushiromiya name beforehand...!"
"What do you think, Shannon?! That way, everything makes sense! Battler has abandoned the Ushiromiya name for your sake! This sudden argument with Rudolf was just an excuse."
"What splendid reasoning! Nice going, Riiche!"
"Wahahahahahahahahaha...! What do you say, Shannon? There's no reason to feel down! On the contrary, it's as though Battler has shown his determination first!"
"...*giggle*. *giggle*giggle*giggle*..."

A smile had finally returned to my face. Of course, I hadn't taken the witches seriously and let myself be reassured. It was closer to the opposite. It was almost funny that they could think up such ridiculously convenient explanations for everything. However, they had made all of those ridiculous theories to cheer me up. The witches are right when they say that I must trust Battler-san... and that there's no point moping about just because I've heard a few rumors.

And, I believe that he'll accept my feelings and come for me. The idea that Battler left the family so that he could be married to me some day... was laughable, of course. But right now, I should try and feel confident enough to accept even crazy ideas like that.

"...Thanks so much. I feel a little better now."
"That is well. I cannot stand watching you cry yourself to sleep."
"Thanks for coming into my dreams to encourage me."
"Yes. It will be morning soon. This is all a dream. You won't remember any of it when you wake up. However, your heart will be at peace."
"...Yes. I'll believe in him... and wait. So, I won't listen to every little rumor."
"Very good. Wait until the next conference while improving yourself. If you think of it as training to become a wife, all of your everyday chores will grow more meaningful!"
"*giggle*. Thanks a lot."
"...Riiche. It'll be morning soon."
"Is that so? Then so long, Shannon. You may not remember me, but I will always be by your side, watching over you..."
"Thank you... Thank you..."

BGM: Novelette

"I've known your name longer than I've known Asumu-san's. I hear you're Rudolf's old girlfriend."
"*giggle*. Yes, we've known each other for quite a long time..."
"...Welcome to the Ushiromiya family. I hope you find it easy to grow comfortable here."
"Yes. I'd like to grow comfortable quickly, so that I can support my husband."
"But look at how cute that little girl is. What's her name...?!"
"This is Ange-chan. What a cute name."

"I thought this would be the perfect chance to bring him back, but... He's as stubborn as Dad."
"Will Battler-kun ever come back...? I'll miss him."
"Nothing wrong with a man having enough backbone to find his own way in the world. I'm sure he'll have made it big by the time he comes back...!"
"You think so? Right now, Battler-kun's home isn't home for him. There's no reason for him to go back there."
"...Enough. This concerns Rudolf's family only. It is not our place to meddle."
"Thank you, Krauss nii-san. This is an issue for our family alone. However, I intend to do all I can to see that Battler-kun and Rudolf-san can live together again someday. After all, he's Ange's one and only big brother."
"...Yep. When that kid gets stuck on something, anything you say to him will have the opposite effect. Asumu's father has a bit of a short temper. Looks like he's been adding fuel to the fire."
"It'll be okay. I'm sure he'll understand your feelings before too long."
"We can't do anything except cheer you on. Even if he doesn't come back, we're all prayin' that the two of you will make up quickly."

"Yeah. I hope he and Uncle Rudolf can make up soon."
"...If you think about how Battler-sama feels... it must be painful."
"It's like his family's suddenly changed around him. It probably doesn't feel comfortable at home anymore."
"All men need to go out into the world one day or another. It might just be that Battler-kun's time has come."
"Do you think so...?"
"I do. It's not cool for a guy to hang around at his parents' for too long. You've got to leave the nest in a flurry and make your name in the world. I planned to do that eventually, but it looks like he's gone and done it first."
"A, and when he makes his name in the world and everything, will he come back?"
"It may be... that he never comes back. After all, this might be leaving the nest to him."
"...Leaving the nest..."

BGM: White Shadow

"Oh, how terrible. And I kept telling Shannon that he was sure to come. I'm sure she feels very upset about Battler not coming. And it's all because I got her hopes up...!"
"She's been looking forward to this day... It pains me to think of how she must feel."
"...Thanks, you two. I'm... okay."

I had been reunited with the witches once again in that dream world. Though I could never remember anything during the day, now that I was in the dream world, I somehow knew that this was a reunion. The witches both looked apologetic. Though they had tried to cheer me up by saying that Battler would come today, now that he hadn't come, it was like they had been lying, and they seemed to regret it heavily.

"Shannon, umm... well..."
"...Thanks for your concern. It'd be a lie to say I wasn't sad, but I'll be okay."
"A, are you sure? Really sure? That would be splendid, but..."
"Clearly, Battler's fight was so over-the-top that he couldn't bring himself to back down so soon. Men are so stubborn."
"Y, yes, that is true...! He tried to act tough before running away, so his stubbornness is preventing him from taking back what he said so easily! He'll probably regret not coming today. Yes, that must be it...!"

For some reason, they seemed nearly desperate in their attempts to encourage me. It was almost funny to watch. I couldn't help but giggle.

The truth was, I couldn't really fool myself so easily. When will he come back? When will he come for me? When... isn't the question. Will he come for me, ever?

If I start moping right now, the uncertainty and sadness will probably tear me apart. But they've taught me. This is... a test to see whether I really believe in him or not. The very fact that I feel uncertain and anxious is a betrayal of my resolve... and of his promise to come for me someday.

"George-sama said something about it. He said this might be the same as leaving the nest for Battler-san."
"That's right. This is his chance to leave behind the Ushiromiya name and spread his wings as his own man."
"If you really think about it, we're still very young. Even if we want to be tied together, we're still lacking many years of social experience and trust. If Battler-san is really and truly taking this seriously, then it's too soon for him to come for me now."
"Well done. Yes, that's the right attitude...! You have done well to reach this understanding."
"...I haven't reached anything... However, I've decided to think of it that way for now. This is a trial... to see whether I trust Battler-san or not."

However, was I really prepared to do that? Last night, I kept worrying about whether Battler-san would come or not. Thanks to that, not only did I not have the resolve to quit my job, I hadn't even started on the paperwork to do so. In short, I still don't have the 'determination' that I promised him that day. I'm sure that God knew that.

Battler will come for me when I've found my determination. I wasn't determined, so it's only natural that he didn't come today... Yeah. It all makes sense now.

"So, I'm sure Battler-san didn't come today... because I wasn't determined enough. It's only natural, since I couldn't even truly believe that he would come..."
"I'm sure Battler was the same way. He did not yet have the determination and resolve to come for you."
"...God is not heartless. When your feelings truly do draw close, I'm sure they'll draw the two of you together."
"Just like Orihime and Hikoboshi...!"
"Yes, it's as though the weather just happened to be bad during this year's Tanabata, keeping those lovers apart for another year... That's how I'd like to think about what happened today."

That's how... I'd like to think about it. I have no other choice.

...Battler-san...

BGM: L&D Circulation

"Six years. Still a long way to go until then."
"...So, you had to wait six whole years feeling like that...?"
"When one waits every year for something to happen the next, and then the same thing the next year and the next, it becomes similar to waiting for an eternity."
"...Pretty pathetic, don't you think? After all, this promise you thought you made with Battler seems to be something Battler knew nothing about, right?"
"Battler-kun does tend to use melodramatic phrases, just like Uncle Rudolf. His roundabout way of putting things might have led to a misunderstanding..."
"Some girl's gonna stab Battler in the back someday. Well, that's more or less what this tale is."
"...When words can mean different things, they can turn a person's life upside-down. There are times when careless talk costs lives."
"..."

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?
Yeesh, I can feel Natsuhi radiating disapproval from here... don't even have to hear her voice to know how disgusted shs is at this whole... thing. You've also got the whole family acting the way you thought they would: Eva snidely needling, Rosa focusing on Ange (who would be still a baby/1 year old by this point, no?) and staying out of it, and Hideyoshi playing peacemaker along with Krauss. And from the cousins conversations, It doesn't sound like Battler's even talked to any of them, even a year out... drat, Battler, family spat or not, that's a little cold.

Cultural note on things this episode: Orihime and Hikoboshi is probably referring to the tale of the Weavess and the Cowherd, a story that comes up in quite a few eastern countries as a just-so story explaining the movements of the stars Vega and Altair. Someone who feels as paralyzed as Yasu does probably would relate to such a story of a log distance romance... even if it is totally depressing that she would put her trust in a bridge of magpies rather than a phone call.

Rune Full Moon
Jun 23, 2005

Jin, did you forget to buy groceries? ... Looks like air for dinner. Again.

resurgam40 posted:

Cultural note on things this episode: Orihime and Hikoboshi is probably referring to the tale of the Weavess and the Cowherd, a story that comes up in quite a few eastern countries as a just-so story explaining the movements of the stars Vega and Altair.

Yep, Orihime and Hikoboshi are the local names for Vega and Altair. Tanabata comes up a lot when anime wants to talk about star-crossed lovers.

Confused Llama
Jan 15, 2008
The llama is a quadruped which lives in big rivers like the Amazon. It has two ears, a heart, a forehead, and a beak for eating honey. But it is provided with fins for swimming.
Oh, so I see we just aren't bothering to make younger sprites for anyone.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry
I think the saddest thing about all this is if Shannon asked Rudolf for a number to call Battler (I assume he has some means to contact Asumu's parents in case of emergencies) he probably would be ok with giving it to her. However she assumes even asking for it would bear no fruit and gives up without trying, resigning herself to waiting endlessly.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

lotus circle posted:

I think the saddest thing about all this is if Shannon asked Rudolf for a number to call Battler (I assume he has some means to contact Asumu's parents in case of emergencies) he probably would be ok with giving it to her. However she assumes even asking for it would bear no fruit and gives up without trying, resigning herself to waiting endlessly.

Yeah, given out of all the adults, Rudolf would probably be the one most likely to do that, if not for Shannon but for Battler, though given how strict Natsuhi is, and how cruel Eva can be, I can see her assuming Rudolf would not entertain it.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
I finally understand the heart. After reading this update, I too wish to kill Battler.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

ZiegeDame posted:

I finally understand the heart. After reading this update, I too wish to kill Battler.

Being Battler is dodging small bombs.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
Battler-hate aside, Shannon really isn't doing much to consider his side of things here. He'd probably appreciate a call from the cute girl he likes right about now. If only Shannon talked to anyone other than imaginary dream witches about her problems. Isn't she supposed to be friends with Jessica? Is Jessica knew the full story here she probably wouldn't hesitate to bug Rudolf for Asumu's parents' phone number.

Seriously, Yasu is too busy concocting stories for how Battler is surely going to come and rescue them from their terrible life because his entire life must revolve around Shannon to spare a thought to the fact that his loving mom just died and his dad remarried before her body was even cold.

witchcore ricepunk
Jul 6, 2003

The Golden Witch
Who Solved the Epitaph

You can see how easily trapped Yasu gets in their own circular thinking: we can come up with so many "if only"s that might have changed everything, but in the end their cowardice assumes all of those doors are shut already.

George's remarks in this scene seem especially callous when you remember his confession to Shannon about being jealous of Battler, 13-year-old child, and wanting to romance her out of a sense of revenge.

Confused Llama
Jan 15, 2008
The llama is a quadruped which lives in big rivers like the Amazon. It has two ears, a heart, a forehead, and a beak for eating honey. But it is provided with fins for swimming.

ZiegeDame posted:

Seriously, Yasu is too busy concocting stories for how Battler is surely going to come and rescue them from their terrible life because his entire life must revolve around Shannon to spare a thought to the fact that his loving mom just died and his dad remarried before her body was even cold.

Agreed, actually. Shannon is embodying all of the "I must be good and patient and reasonable and not take out my frustration at the current state of affairs on other people" that we all know we're supposed to do without any of the actual understanding of the other person's side that allows you to actually process and expiate said frustration instead of just bottling it up until you go berserk. Not that Yasu has ever really had a good role model for healthy emotional coping mechanisms, though.

Regarding all the suggestions regarding things Yasu could have done to change Yasu's own situation, I'd go so far as to suggest that this may be a deliberate indictment of what taking Cinderella-style fairy tales as an actual blueprint for behavior, rather than as general encouragement that it really is in your best interests to be a good person in the long run, can do to a person.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

There's definitely an element of learned helplessness in Yasu's behavior, where due to all the bad poo poo going down, Yasu feels that escape is not in their power, and they need someone else to open the door.

And funny thing, in Disney's Cinderella - she didn't just sit by, she actually tried to go to the ball under her own power (trying to make the dress, though the mice ended up helping her finish) and regularly mouths off to the cat and complain the poo poo's unfair, she only gave up when the sisters ripped her dress.

Yasu is however convinced they need a savior and didn't try because they got convinced they can't do anything.

Robindaybird fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Aug 21, 2017

Confused Llama
Jan 15, 2008

Robindaybird posted:

And funny thing, in Disney's Cinderella - she didn't just sit by, she actually tried to go to the ball under her own power (trying to make the dress, though the mice ended up helping her finish) and regularly mouths off to the cat and complain the poo poo's unfair, she only gave up when the sisters ripped her dress.

You're 100% correct, and honestly, I'm glad to see someone else bring this up! I myself get really frustrated by people complaining about the "passive princesses" in fairy tales (it's popular to bash Disney in particular these days because of how pervasive Disney properties have become to so many people growing up over the last half-century or more). By modern standards, they may look that way, but people tend to forget that the opportunities available to those women in the time that the tales come from were very limited, and they pretty much immediately jump at the opportunities they ARE given. To continue with Cinderella, even after she's given up on her own efforts, she doesn't get paralyzed with fear, indecision or lack of self-confidence when suddenly faced with a magical fairy out of nowhere telling her she can go to the ball anyway, either; she basically says "Sign me up, riding in a squash and impractical footwear bedamned."

However, it is the case that once she's gotten the attention of Prince Charming, it's pretty much on him to take the active role in actually whisking her away from her life of servitude, and Shannon's already done the attention-getting part - so depending on how literally you take it, one could argue that she's already 'done her part' by fairy tale standards, and that was the point I was trying to make. I actually disagree with this interpretation, though. In Cinderella's case, she would really have no realistic option to try to get in touch with the prince again after the ball. Shannon, though, in this very update, thinks through her very realistic possible future of quitting her servant position, taking her wages, setting up her own apartment and life, and seeing Battler on a regular basis, yet never seems to consider that he doesn't actually ever need to come back to Rokkenjima for her to do all of that - she is just as capable as he is of taking the first step to bring them back together.

What I'm saying is that she ought to be looking at more of an East of the Sun, West of the Moon option here.

witchcore ricepunk
Jul 6, 2003

The Golden Witch
Who Solved the Epitaph

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

I wonder if there's some parallel to be drawn between Yasu and Kyrie here.

Confused Llama
Jan 15, 2008
Actually, it occurs to me that given the context, a better parallel than Cinderella might be Tattercoats/Allerleirauh/"The King Who Wished to Marry his Daughter".

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen
I think that some attention should be brought to the fact that as far as we can tell, Shannon continued to never prepare the paperwork for leaving.

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010
So is Shannon incompetent, or is she in denial?

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

It feels like the island is Shannon's entire world, for better or for worse. Yasu can't imagine life off of it as a thing they can actually have.

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008

Confused Llama posted:

Shannon, though, in this very update, thinks through her very realistic possible future of quitting her servant position, taking her wages, setting up her own apartment and life, and seeing Battler on a regular basis, yet never seems to consider that he doesn't actually ever need to come back to Rokkenjima for her to do all of that - she is just as capable as he is of taking the first step to bring them back together.

At the current point in time she's 14, and all the official paperwork about her says she's 11. I'm not sure setting up her own life is realistic (maybe closer to present time but we're not there yet).

Fabulousvillain
May 2, 2015
I can fight the feeling that this story won't end until Battler and George settle things with a shirtless fist fight on the rooftop wherein they reveal they're sick Dragon tats on their backs, or I'm reading too far not far enough into it.

FrantzX
Jan 28, 2007

ProfessorProf posted:

"Some girl's gonna stab Battler in the back someday. Well, that's more or less what this tale is."

Confused Llama
Jan 15, 2008

whitehelm posted:

At the current point in time she's 14, and all the official paperwork about her says she's 11. I'm not sure setting up her own life is realistic (maybe closer to present time but we're not there yet).

Of course. But by the same token, being whisked away by Battler right this very second is no more realistic. (If you look at the relevant passage, she is thinking about it in a "several years in the future" kind of way.)

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Fabulousvillain posted:

I can fight the feeling that this story won't end until Battler and George settle things with a shirtless fist fight on the rooftop wherein they reveal they're sick Dragon tats on their backs, or I'm reading too far not far enough into it.

Please. George would have a carp tattoo.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Yeah George is Nishiki. If anyone is Shibusawa it's, I dunno, Genji?

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
SIX YEARS OFF THE REGISTER MADE YOU A FUCKIN PUSSY

Fabulousvillain
May 2, 2015

alcharagia posted:

Please. George would have a carp tattoo.

After some thought, we all know he would have a tattoo of the art from his wolf shirt.

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,

BGM: Moonlit Night

Jessica's room was filled with laughter.

"It was one hell of a reality check...! I thought this guy was a bit cool, a bit adult-like. And then I see him with some of the other guys in our class, talking about dirty stuff with this creepy laugh!"
"It's true that boys always act like little kids when they're together."
"Well, it's not like girls are any better!"

The fun chat between girls continued without end. Tonight, Krauss and Natsuhi were out late at a meeting on Niijima. Normally, Natsuhi was always watching, so Jessica would always make sure to be curt with the young servants, but when Natsuhi wasn't around, Jessica never did that. She had invited the servants of similar age to her room, and they were chatting away noisily...

At that age, everyone wants to know about love. Thanks to the rigid and constricting way Jessica had been brought up, she enjoyed talking of love all the more...

"But you're pretty incredible, Milady. And you're that age! Aren't there any boys you're interested in?"
"W, well, I'd like to fall in love, but there really aren't any... g, good ones around...!"
"I think you should be a bit more proactive. You can act all relaxed now, but not for long, right? Once one of your friends starts going out with someone, it'll turn your world upside down."
"Th, there's no way that'll happen... None of my friends are traitors... I, I think."
"Ah, no, no, no! The outbreak of love is the one time you can't rely on friendship between girls! If you met someone you liked, you'd betray your friends and go out with the guy without a second thought, wouldn't you?!"
"A, ahahahahahahahahahahaha... Wh, what about you, Shannon...?! It's not fair if I'm the only one who has to talk!"
"I, umm, don't have anyone like that around..."

...Not around. He's far, far away, and like Orihime and Hikiboshi, I don't get to see him very often. In fact, I don't even know when I'll be able to see him again. However, I believe that he'll come for me someday. I believe it.

"Don't you betray me, okay, Shannon?! If we get boyfriends, we'll get them together, okay?! Right? Right? We promised, right?!"
"Well, you might not believe it, but it's not at all rare for girls just like Shannon-chan to get a head start! *giggle*giggle*!"
"Shannon, confess!! You aren't going out with anyone, are you?! You aren't, right?!"
"I, I'm not. Really..."
"Really?!"
"R, really..."
"We'll get boyfriends together, okay? No matter what happens, okay?! Anyone who lies has to eat porcupinefish!!"
"Y, yes... I promise..."
"Looks like she's lying! I'm willing to bet Shannon-chan's the first of us all! I can tell. It's always the quiet ones that go first...!"
"Shannon, how could you?! Confess, confess!!"
"P, please stop, Milady...! Th, that tickles...! A, ahahahahaha...!!"

BGM: Fall

I worked my way out of the fight and looked up at the sky through the window. Is Battler-san happily chatting away with his friends somewhere right now, just like I am? As I think of you like this, are you thinking of me...? But if I ask that, it's the same as admitting that I don't trust you. I'll wait. And, when you do come for me, I'll announce then and there that I'm quitting my job. I've already prepared myself to do so... But... you haven't come yet. That isn't because you won't come, but because I'm not determined enough yet, right? It's because I haven't clearly envisioned a future with you, right?

I'll wait. No matter how long. Until you come for me, riding a white horse... I will always treasure our promise. The promise of our precious resolve...

Thinking that she had read my mind, I spun around. Of course, she hadn't...

"Well, as far as that goes, I think guys and girls have different ideas of what's important."
"No, that's not it. You've got it all wrong. On the whole, girls tend to be dreamers, and guys just do stuff without thinking."
"I guess understanding between the sexes is pretty much impossible after all."
"At least, I think it's pretty hard. Girls often have the bad habit of thinking they know exactly what the guy is thinking right away. They search for hidden meanings behind words that guys say for no reason in particular, and just get the wrong idea."
"Ah, yeah, I've known girls like that. Those girls who hear something that's trivial, as any outsider could tell them, but think it means that the guy is totally into them. Yeah, I see it all the time."
"It's a bit sad when a girl gets the wrong idea for no reason."

Ahhahahahahahahaha. The pair of them laughed together.

When a girl... gets the wrong idea. Could that be... me...? No, that can't be. After all, Battler-san clearly made a promise. He said he'd come for me riding a white horse. I mustn't doubt. I'm sure this conversation I'm hearing is just another one of God's trials. So, I won't listen. I won't care about it.

"If there's one thing I never want to be, it's one of those poor girls who thinks a guy's heart is linked to hers for no reason."
"Ahhahahahahahahahahahaha."

Those demonic sneers tormented me and tried to lead me astray. I'm sure he'll come to the next family conference...

BGM: Eternity

Bit by bit, things were changing from the way they had been at the last family conference he came to. Everyone had gotten completely used to Kyrie-sama, Rudolf-sama's new wife, and she came down off the boat with a familiar stride. Her daughter, Ange-sama, was growing well, and all of the family focused their attention on her. Also, Maria-sama, though she was still small back then, was already five years old. She was full of energy, and old enough to enjoy playing with George-sama. Jessica-sama and George-sama had already stopped talking about Battler-san's absence. It was the same with the other relatives too. No one touched upon the subject, as though they had forgotten that Battler-san was missing. Maria-sama had only been three when she last saw Battler-san. It was doubtful whether she even remembered him.

...In just two years... All trace of your existence... has been erased from the Ushiromiya family conference. That made me sad. And so...

"True. Feeling a bit lonely?"
"Well, umm..."
"Uncle Rudolf and Aunt Kyrie don't even bring him up anymore. It looks like Battler-kun was much more serious than we thought."
"I wonder if he really will stay away forever."
"Looks like it was leaving the nest after all. He's spread his wings and left for a new stage of life. Don't you think so?"
"...He's always been crazy and reckless. Well, what more'd you expect from a guy?"
"Well, we know Battler-kun. I'm sure he's adapted to his new life and is enjoying himself. So, there's no reason to worry."

When George-sama said that with a smile, I felt a bit uncertain. What does he mean by 'there's no reason to worry'...?

"Yeah, I'll bet he is. And I think that's the best for everyone. Thinking for himself, his family, and his late mother, Battler-kun decided to find a new life. So, I hope he lives that new life to the fullest. If he forgets about the Ushiromiya family, that's just perfect."

George-sama smiled at me, expecting me to agree. After a moment of shock, I smoothed my expression over and found the expression he was expecting. Is Battler-san... living happily, having forgotten about the family, about me, about our promise...?

That can't be true. It just can't be. Battler-san must be looking forward to that day of decision just like me. I'm not mistaken about that. He promised me. He said he'd come riding a white horse. I never asked him to say that. He said he'd come for me on the day I decided to live life for his sake. He made that promise himself. For two years, I've believed that. I've done all I could to make it through God's trials and the whisperings of demons that tried to throw me from my path. And yet, the things both George-sama and Jessica-sama are saying... are so cruel. Battler-san has forgotten about us and has started a new life? Why are they telling such lies...?

The Battler-san in my dream... wasn't the Battler-san I believed in. It was the Battler-san that George-sama and Jessica-sama had spoken of, the one who had forgotten everything and started a new life.

Morning. I woke up with a tear-stained face. The face I saw in the mirror... cried and told me it couldn't wait any longer. If I've managed to wait this long, why can't I wait any longer...?

This is a trial. So, we must believe in him and wait. But the me in the mirror spoke. It was sharper than a fragment of glass.

Wasn't Jessica-sama talking about it? That some girls are dreamers who get the wrong idea? And wasn't George-sama talking about it too? He said that Battler-san had gotten used to his new life and had forgotten about the Ushiromiya family.

...And by now, he isn't the only one who's forgotten. Unless I ask about it, everyone on this island has forgotten his name. Even Rudolf-sama doesn't say his name anymore. If I weren't here to remember his face, perhaps his existence would have been erased from everyone's hearts. I don't believe that. So, I won't doubt. Battler-san must still remember his promise. We're both waiting for the day of decision, the day we'll be together.

...Battler-san. I've firmly made up my mind. Does the fact that you're not here mean that, after all, I'm not determined enough? No. It's because you and God are testing me, isn't it? In that case, I will endure. Until that promised day inevitably comes... So, please. Battler-san. I want some proof... that you haven't forgotten me...

It was the crack that ran across my ceramic-like heart. I had to acknowledge it now. It may be... that I'm pretending not to notice something terrifying and sad.

Battler-san... makes me yearn for him.
Battler-san... makes me sad.
Battler-san... makes it hurt...

Battler-san.

Deckard6
Nov 8, 2012

ProfessorProf posted:

Battler-san.

No. Next question.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen

ProfessorProf posted:

Battler-san.

Doesn't count.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

ProfessorProf posted:

"Don't you betray me, okay, Shannon?! If we get boyfriends, we'll get them together, okay?! Right? Right? We promised, right?!"

I swear, if this ends up being the reason Kanon exists...

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Fabulousvillain posted:

They rip off their shirts, revealing Battler's sick yakuza-style tats and George's anime character tats.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Ytlaya posted:

They rip off their shirts, revealing Battler's sick yakuza-style tats and George's anime character tats.

I got this stupid image of Battler getting it to piss off the family and Kyrie being from a Yak family just 'aaaw how sweet, you didn't have to go that far to say you don't hate me anymore'

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Ytlaya posted:

Sayo, I want to show you my fanfic. It's an Applejack/Rarity shipfic.
Haha, oh, that's great, George-san. I wrote a fanfic too, it's one where Fluttershy kills everyone.
That's my girl!

Sunsetaware
Jun 2, 2012

ZiegeDame posted:

I swear, if this ends up being the reason Kanon exists...

It's important to keep your promises, after all. Can't be like Battler.

I finally got caught up on this LP, and this story sure is going places. But the events remain plausible for the cast we've got on hand, and I appreciate that a lot. Can't wait to see how Shannon's probable murder spree will become plausible the same way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
Next page bump

• Locked thread