Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Yeah, the Gordon theory is plausible and kinda cool, but then again almost anything can happen in Twin Peaks and it would make sense in "Lynch-logic." It would explain why he's been a dick about not hearing Albert when he wants to.

I'm more interested in two other reddit theories:

-Sarah Palmer was the voice (modulated down) talking to Bad Coop on the radio in the motel in episode 2. Makes sense for her to want to "be with Bob again."
-Audrey's spirit is trapped in wood. This could possibly be the ringing in the hotel's walls and would explain how she can eavesdrop on people's conversations. Alternatively, she's trapped in wood at the Roadhouse and has been hearing people talk at the tables (which could be why we've been shown their seemingly unrelated conversations).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Cromulent posted:

I don't think Gordon Cole is a bad guy, but I wouldn't be surprised if some carelessness on his part leads to the death of Tammy and/or Albert.

I think Cole's arc has been more about the fact that he's old, he's losing his abilities, and the biggest mystery of his career with major implications hasn't been solved, and wants to finish it before he's gone. He's not evil, he's just old and nearing the end, much like many characters in the series.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

JazzFlight posted:

Yeah, the Gordon theory is plausible and kinda cool, but then again almost anything can happen in Twin Peaks and it would make sense in "Lynch-logic." It would explain why he's been a dick about not hearing Albert when he wants to.

It would be really lame if this was the reason for him pretending not to hear Albert as opposed to knowing each other for decades and Albert knowing Cole's messing with him.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I don't buy Gordon bring the baddie given he's also been having prophetic visions (Laura Palmer, France dream) guiding him towards solving the case.

Also Dougie's reaction to the TV seemed more like unease at being reminded of his former life, he has no reason to suspect Gordon and parted on good terms. Really just seems like alot of circumstantial evidence and misreadings pieced together to spell DARTH JAR JAR

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

JazzFlight posted:

-Audrey's spirit is trapped in wood. This could possibly be the ringing in the hotel's walls and would explain how she can eavesdrop on people's conversations. Alternatively, she's trapped in wood at the Roadhouse and has been hearing people talk at the tables (which could be why we've been shown their seemingly unrelated conversations).

Audrey used to sneak around literally in the walls in S1 and S2 eavesdropping

Angrymantium
Jul 19, 2007
Resistant to everything
Evil Gordon would make sense given that he was being sucked into the black lodge in the episode where they go to the oil puddle in South Dakota. If Andy is the ideal vessel of the white lodge, Cole was likely being targeted for the same reason.

I don't think it's 100% likely, but the point of who Gordon Cole is in Sunset Boulevard, whistling Engel in front of a mushroom cloud, etc, point to the fact that there's more to his motivations than just solving crimes. It's been all but confirmed that he's not really deaf, so we know he's hiding something.

People have spent the enitre season talking about how robotic Tammy is, but if Cole is really looking for agents to manipulate, someone who doesn't do a lot of thinking on their own is ideal, right? Gordon may not be the arch villain, but we need to know what he's been listening to, and why Diane is so furious with him and the FBI before we can really judge who he is and what he wants.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Cole wasn't targeted to go to the black lodge, he's just the only one who approached the portal.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Cole being evil would be such a lame loving twist and would make me lose a lot of respect for this season since he's been one of the best parts.

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Diabetes, you are not invited to my pizza party.

JazzFlight posted:

-Sarah Palmer was the voice (modulated down) talking to Bad Coop on the radio in the motel in episode 2. Makes sense for her to want to "be with Bob again."

Oh I like this. I can't wait to go back and watch every episode again. I feel like things will feel a lot different the second time around.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

JazzFlight posted:

I'm more interested in two other reddit theories:

none of those fit any of the current text.

Zmej
Nov 6, 2005

lol why do people think Cole has an arc or motivation outside of coffee and being a horndog

Cromulent
Dec 22, 2002

People are under a lot of stress, Bradley.

Angrymantium posted:

It's been all but confirmed that he's not really deaf, so we know he's hiding something.
I don't really subscribe to the idea that he's faking being deaf. If anything, I'd guess his hearing aids are for detecting other things, which can sometimes legitimately affect his hearing depending on how much "electrical interference" there is or something of that nature. I think back to the scene at the end of episode 4 (the blue tinted one) where Albert tells Cole he gave "Cooper" info on their man in Columbia, and when Cole is saying "Albert..." in disbelief, there's a high pitched ringing, almost like Cole is detecting something. Of course, I could be completely off-base.

Cromulent fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Aug 23, 2017

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Zmej posted:

lol why do people think Cole has an arc or motivation outside of coffee and being a horndog
What the gently caress

He gives people thumbs ups too

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Zmej posted:

Probably because he's a character in a well-written story

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

Twin Peaks is probably my favorite television show of all time but one of the reasons is definitely not "deep, multifaceted characters"

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
The only character who hasn't had any actual arc or progression is Audrey, which is ironic, since she went from being a foolishly brave independent person who would investigate anything around her to a character incapable of doing anything and codependent to a sleepy man who gives no shits.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

EDIT: ^^ That 'coat or no coat' discussion felt really weird, and I genuinely felt Audrey was just getting mad at nothing.

I have a question!

How are we, as viewers, supposed to have known Naido's name?

Also, does anyone else feel kind of sick looking at her... uhh... eyeholes, or whatever they are? Bleh.

Oh, and did I miss the introduction or even halfway explanation to whoever that guy is in the TP jail that has the hosed up face and repeats everything? I think I have to rewatch this, goddamn, there's just so much that's happened.

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

A dog begins eating a dusty old coil of rope but there's a nail in it.

Audrey's segments seem like someone fighting indecision and self loathing more than arguing with a dream husband

Her "story" is the fiction she had built of her self image just as much as it is a purgatorial dream state

Also Cole is not evil he is :coal:

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Capntastic posted:

Audrey's segments seem like someone fighting indecision and self loathing more than arguing with a dream husband

Her "story" is the fiction she had built of her self image just as much as it is a purgatorial dream state

I dunno, if it just turns out that nothing weird is going on with Audrey, then all of her scenes have been pretty big red herrings.

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Diabetes, you are not invited to my pizza party.

Capntastic posted:

I don't know what that emote is.

Naido and Richard Horne were originally identified from the credits. Same with mother/the experiment. Kinda odd to place stuff only there, but it is available information.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

zelah posted:

Naido and Richard Horne were originally identified from the credits. Same with mother/the experiment. Kinda odd to place stuff only there, but it is available information.

Thank you muchly. I wouldn't have been surprised that I had just flat-out missed something.

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

Vikar Jerome posted:

none of those fit any of the current text.

why not

e: I don't really buy the audrey one but the sarah one is interesting and I don't see any reason why it's impossible based on what we've seen

Hijinks Ensue
Jul 24, 2007
I actually sympathize with Charlie, as I'm on deadline and tired all the time too.

Cromulent
Dec 22, 2002

People are under a lot of stress, Bradley.

zelah posted:

Richard was at least mentioned by name afterwards. Nobody has said "Naido" or even "Red" out loud. Which is a little odd, since there have been other moments like Ben Horne saying to Frank "Harry, your brother..." and of course "Do you recall my business rivals and arch nemesis the Mitchum Brothers?" and other "As you know..." moments.

Cromulent fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Aug 23, 2017

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

I maintain that Richard calling Red a "magic bastard" is the funniest line in the whole series

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Oh, and did I miss the introduction or even halfway explanation to whoever that guy is in the TP jail that has the hosed up face and repeats everything? I think I have to rewatch this, goddamn, there's just so much that's happened.
He's the physical manifestation of Lynch's self indulgence of having scenes that are strange and gross for the sake of being strange and gross.

Or, he might also be that guy (I forget the name) that the girls at the roadhouse were talking about that barged in to their kitchen all bloody and talking strange?

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

The Merkinman posted:

Or, he might also be that guy (I forget the name) that the girls at the roadhouse were talking about that barged in to their kitchen all bloody and talking strange?
Billy.
Important name, and I'm thinking it's probably him.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Maybe it's the ghost of Billy Wilder, who directed Sunset Blvd.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
Billy was supposed to be bleeding from the nose and mouth, the drunk is only bleeding (drooling?) from his mouth. Plus there's multiple people looking for him, one of them should have called the sheriff's department by now.

I like the Audrey is trapped in wood theory, but Charlie's phonecall seems to directly disprove it

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Gordon's new hearing aids are good enough where he can hear good now but prefers to fake it for fun. His ears ring because they're really sensitive when he has it turned up.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I don't think it's super important, but every Audrey scene shares the same color palette and lighting as every scene in the Roadhouse outside of the musical performances.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Whatever is up with Audrey's story is far weirder than any of the Lodge mythos plotlines, the intersection of the real world and what appear to be some kind of dream world appears deliberately not to make any sense. Curious and slightly nervous how it's going to end up panning out.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/dianepodcast/status/900377745498271745

Geeking out so hard right now :3:

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

I hope the final scene of the show is Andy and Lucy having a nice, peaceful family picnic.

That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am
over-fucking-whelmed...
Young Orc

Cromulent posted:

It's easily my biggest gripe about this season. I would forgive it if it were 9 episodes, but it's almost inexcusable with how much time they've had. It's not even just poor characterization, we just straight up haven't seen them.

There's a sick part of me that wants to see the material that WAS cut in editing. What could it have been?!

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

A True Jar Jar Fan posted:

I hope the final scene of the show is Andy and Lucy having a nice, peaceful family picnic.

Wally Brando eating a drumstick, pontificating with his loving dad.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

egon_beeblebrox posted:

Wally Brando eating a drumstick, pontificating with his loving dad.

The mashed potatoes are your dharma...

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Hakkesshu posted:

Cole being evil would be such a lame loving twist and would make me lose a lot of respect for this season since he's been one of the best parts.
Yeah, that theory is stupid

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

Farscape is actually pretty cool.
what if Sonny Jim was the Booper this whole time!?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star Platinum
May 5, 2010

Franchescanado posted:

The only character who hasn't had any actual arc or progression is Audrey, which is ironic, since she went from being a foolishly brave independent person who would investigate anything around her to a character incapable of doing anything and codependent to a sleepy man who gives no shits.

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

EDIT: ^^ That 'coat or no coat' discussion felt really weird, and I genuinely felt Audrey was just getting mad at nothing.

Yeah, her behavior in that scene made me fully buy into the theory of it being some kind of dream. There's no reason for her to get hung up on petty bullshit when she's finally about to get what she wants, it's got to be her subconscious or some poo poo preventing her from leaving the confines of the dream.