Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Thanks Ants posted:

There's not even Outlook reconfiguration to do if you go the Hybrid route - autodiscover sorts it all out. Leave one Exchange box running to manage it all with, use the free license you get with Enterprise versions of Office 365 to upgrade it to not-2010.

Shove the upgrading of desktop Office software into a different project and do what whenever, assuming you're running an Outlook client new enough to talk to Exchange Online. If you aren't then do the software deployment first.

This is the way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

milk milk lemonade
Jul 29, 2016

Judge Schnoopy posted:

What do you guys pay / charge for Exchange 2010 to Office 365 migrations? 140 user mailboxes, 30 service mailboxes, 100 computers needing Office 2010 - Office 2016 upgrades.

Does $100 / user, $25 / service box sound like a reasonable number, for an upgrade total of around $15,000?

You're getting a reasonably good deal there. Beware anyone who does it for less.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Thanks Ants posted:

There's not even Outlook reconfiguration to do if you go the Hybrid route - autodiscover sorts it all out. Leave one Exchange box running to manage it all with, use the free license you get with Enterprise versions of Office 365 to upgrade it to not-2010.

Shove the upgrading of desktop Office software into a different project and do what whenever, assuming you're running an Outlook client new enough to talk to Exchange Online. If you aren't then do the software deployment first.

I think this is the best answer. Run hybrid up front during the migration, then slowly roll out upgrades of Office 2010 to Office 2016. Once those are complete I can kill off the hybrid and leave eveything solely to 365.

One of the objectives is to kill the 2008 R2 Exchange server so I'd rather not stay hybrid for any longer than I have to. Is there any reason to hold on to hybrid after migration is complete?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Judge Schnoopy posted:

I think this is the best answer. Run hybrid up front during the migration, then slowly roll out upgrades of Office 2010 to Office 2016. Once those are complete I can kill off the hybrid and leave eveything solely to 365.

One of the objectives is to kill the 2008 R2 Exchange server so I'd rather not stay hybrid for any longer than I have to. Is there any reason to hold on to hybrid after migration is complete?

To appease those that are superstitious.

milk milk lemonade
Jul 29, 2016
There are some reasons but they're bad an Microsoft recommends decomming a hybrid setup ASAP

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Your environment has similarities to mine. Everything is 2008 R2 and my last two proposed budgets have covered upgrading all the servers to current. My O365 plans take a similar path, getting everyone's Office upgraded first from 2010, then doing the hybrid mail migration.

EDIT: My original goal was to get services like email and file storage out of the server room. It seems dumb to keep spending money trying to keep up with the hardware and software needs. Old servers, old OS, not enough space, not enough CALs... cloud seems a better way, especially considering the consultant's insistence that we are going to grow by up to 100% in the short-term.

Dick Trauma fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Aug 22, 2017

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
Use azure active directory, use the on prem active directory attribute editor to make changes if you need to, decomm your hybrid situation as soon as you feel comfortable.

Migrating such a small number of users (roughly what I did) is easy and you could honestly do it yourself. We used CodeTwo O364 migration with 240 licenses, which according to their website is about $1500 (i would have to check what we spent in total) so you can put the tool on your exchange server and just do it yourself. It didn't export archive mailboxes but a really simple powershell script can handle that. I can't imagine spending 15k for migration

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
I can pay 15k and let my MSP do all the work, I can pay 3k and do it myself, or I can shop other vendors and see if they can beat 10k but then babysit them the whole time.

Right now the 'do it myself' option seems nice.

I'm very comfortable with powershell so most of it should be automated button clicking.

Sprechensiesexy
Dec 26, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Judge Schnoopy posted:

I can pay 15k and let my MSP do all the work, I can pay 3k and do it myself, or I can shop other vendors and see if they can beat 10k but then babysit them the whole time.

Right now the 'do it myself' option seems nice.

I'm very comfortable with powershell so most of it should be automated button clicking.

Pay 3K, give yourself a 12K bonus for cost savings.

Thats how senior management does accounting.

milk milk lemonade
Jul 29, 2016
If you want to do it real cheap and easy write a poweshell script that exports everyone's mailboxes into a pst in a Blob storage account then do a pst merge in O365 while simultaneously changing mx records and screaming 'gently caress your delta!!!!!!!'

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

milk milk lemonade posted:

There are some reasons but they're bad an Microsoft recommends decomming a hybrid setup ASAP

Have they change their mind again, because although everybody just uses ADSI Edit, Microsoft really don't like it:

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dn931280(v=exchg.150).aspx

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Let's say I hate myself and I want to teach myself Exchange.

How long would this take? Let's assume I already have a decent Windows Server, Powershell and Networking Background.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Tab8715 posted:

Let's say I hate myself and I want to teach myself Exchange.

How long would this take? Let's assume I already have a decent Windows Server, Powershell and Networking Background.
How are you on email fundamentals?

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

I can setup rules in Outlook.

That's pretty much it.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
A month for mailbox administration. Two more months for system administration.

Faster if you're allowed to make changes whenever the hell you want to see what breaks, slower if you have to wait for change requests to come up.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Vargatron posted:

Well poo poo I already have the wardrobe for this.

You need a pair of aviator sunglasses with reflective lenses to complete the rear end in a top hat look of no fucks given anymore.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Is there an app people use for network diagrams that isn't visio these days?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Not really, but if you want something free, you can try this: https://www.draw.io/

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

GreenNight posted:

Not really, but if you want something free, you can try this: https://www.draw.io/

I didn't exactly care about free, just before I buy something again I wanted opinions for options. I have used visio for years for no other reason than that is what was available to me.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
oh man...

so the most senior member of our team (besides CIO) walked in today, said 'Goodbye' and walked out. :yotj: ?
OH MAN I just realized that today was his 5 year anniversary. He's now vested for his pension. Yeah, he totally quit.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

The last few companies I've worked for have used lucidchart.com and I've had no problems with it.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Sickening posted:

On the Mac side I like OmniGraffle.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Sickening posted:

https://www.lucidchart.com/ isn't bad.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

Vargatron posted:

If there's one thing I've learned when it comes to getting hired by a public university, it's that they proceed at a glacial pace. Hiring manager called me on Friday apologizing for the wait on my job offer and then proceed to complain for 5 minutes about how "HR makes it IMPOSSIBLE to get anything done around here!".

Supposedly I'm supposed to get the final paperwork for signoff Monday or Tuesday and then I can resign. Background check and references all were fine.

Getting a new job is so stressful at times.

i applied for a job at a uni and was turned down but encouraged to apply to a similar position in another dept by the recruiter. it's been 2 months and i haven't even heard about an interview yet, lol

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

Thanatosian posted:

I just finished my on-call shift. $200 for a week on call, really not bad. And it's a six-person rotation, so it's not terrifically frequent, either. Only real downside is not being able to drink much those weekends.

What's the thread consensus on BYOD versus two phones? My work gives me an iPhone SE (which is fine for an email/texting/calling device), but we also have Boxer as a BYOD option. Does the one-phone convenience outweigh the separation of personal and professional that comes with two devices?

here's the thing, will they actually respect that you turned off the work phone? personally i find the distinction meaningless, though i'd want to pay my own cell phone bill etc and be reimbursed to make it crystal clear it's my property and can't be loaded up w/ spyware etc.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

GreenNight posted:

I like Visio, but draw.io integrates into Confluence, which can be nice if you've got a team that collaborates on documentation.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I like Visio, but draw.io integrates into Confluence, which can be nice if you've got a team that collaborates on documentation.

Also use draw.io with Confluence. It's not the same as Visio, but it is an acceptable alternative that doesn't cost a lot or require people to have software installed.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else
I've always just used Visio, much for the same reasons; it was just available to me.

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?
So uh... when it comes to doing a handover/knowledge transfer of your whole SMB environment what's the best way to go about it? Or at least what are the most important subjects to cover within a day?

My last day is this Friday and there's a guy coming in to replace me who I don't know their name nor their experience level. I do have a Confluence knowledgebase with lots of articles for the IT side of the business in addition to a KeePass database and different service providers, fortunately there's also going to be one of our MSP engineers here as well.

Although I do hate the place I at least want to give the best send off I can so my successor isn't just twisting in the wind.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Super Slash posted:

So uh... when it comes to doing a handover/knowledge transfer of your whole SMB environment what's the best way to go about it? Or at least what are the most important subjects to cover within a day?

My last day is this Friday and there's a guy coming in to replace me who I don't know their name nor their experience level. I do have a Confluence knowledgebase with lots of articles for the IT side of the business in addition to a KeePass database and different service providers, fortunately there's also going to be one of our MSP engineers here as well.

Although I do hate the place I at least want to give the best send off I can so my successor isn't just twisting in the wind.

Personally, I would go over and exceptions or booby traps. Running an SMB day to day with documentation and passwords should be something that someone can handle. It's the awful poo poo that pops up once every 3-6 months that is the problem.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Super Slash posted:

I'd go over critical services, meaning stuff that needs to be fixed IMMEDIATELY if it goes down, LOB applications and what is required for them to run, and maybe do a high level overview of the network, storage setup and vmhosts.

Also, anything extraordinarily odd about the environment.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Super Slash posted:

The best information is a simplified list of..

1: What things you have.
2: Where they are.
3: Credentials to get into them (if they are shared)

Anything else you add is a bonus, but the above 3 are so important and save a ton of time for a new person. They are equally good because none of the above require a long description per line item and doesn't behold you to give a training manual.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

Internet Explorer posted:

Personally, I would go over and exceptions or booby traps. Running an SMB day to day with documentation and passwords should be something that someone can handle. It's the awful poo poo that pops up once every 3-6 months that is the problem.

This.

Sickening posted:

The best information is a simplified list of..

1: What things you have.
2: Where they are.
3: Credentials to get into them (if they are shared)

Anything else you add is a bonus, but the above 3 are so important and save a ton of time for a new person. They are equally good because none of the above require a long description per line item and doesn't behold you to give a training manual.

And this.

Having been that new guy coming on in less than ideal circumstances, it can be really frustrating. A small list of where and what things on is so incredibly helpful. Further to that, the strange issues that pop up rarely will end up saving the guy a ton of time fixing them so that he can spend more time trying to figure out exactly what's causing them.

arrflargles
Feb 25, 2005
Title goes here...

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I have no loving clue. That's a whole lotta not my problem.
Go ask the finance department.

Update on this:
I can't scan documents with text into any file format; pdf, tiff, jpg, xps, NOTHING.
Documents with no text (just scribbles/handwriting or pictures) work for all of them.
I can't scan text documents ANYWHERE on the network shares, same subnet, different subnet, doesn't matter.
None of the scanning settings on the xerox or in the scan template can remedy this.
Absolutely no traffic from the Xerox's IP is being blocked anywhere by anything on the network.

I'm flabbergasted. This Xerox just literally will not save anything with text in any format anywhere.

Ask me about the time one of my MSP clients wanted me to make them an o365 Global Admin account for their MFP that used to have Domain Admin.

Actually no, don't, it doesn't end well.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
I tend to disagree. If you have a knowledge base, the new guy should be able to dig around and collect his own wits about him.

If I had a single day I'd much rather hear about the politics of the environment, and who to ask for what. If I need to schedule maintenance downtime, who do I go to and how do they like to be addressed? If I work late and come in the next day at noon, who's going to be snooping around spreading rumors about my work ethic? Who do I need to keep happy before they start poisoning the well?

That poo poo I don't have time to find out for myself. I can handle digging into computers and documenting how everything works, takes a few weeks at most but keeps me from making the same lovely assumptions and mistakes of my predecessor.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

arrflargles posted:

Ask me about the time one of my MSP clients wanted me to make them an o365 Global Admin account for their MFP that used to have Domain Admin.

Actually no, don't, it doesn't end well.

This is me asking

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
just use no authentication on MFPs imo

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

MFP installers ask for the highest permissions available because they are terrible at their jobs and don't understand security and/or how to properly setup solutions/scan to folder.
Source: I still work for one, oh God I'm tired of working with these people

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Hiring manager got back to me today and I had to redo my application since the online portal apparently dropped all my application data whenever I hit submit. He mentioned it had to be on their end since applications flagged as non complete don't even get interviews.

God there's too much poo poo going on getting this job. Hopefully things will be wrapped up fairly soon. Had a very good conversation with the hiring manager and thanked me for calling him to follow up and confirm all this. He's pretty stressed out about the process too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

Vargatron posted:

Hiring manager got back to me today and I had to redo my application since the online portal apparently dropped all my application data whenever I hit submit. He mentioned it had to be on their end since applications flagged as non complete don't even get interviews.

God there's too much poo poo going on getting this job. Hopefully things will be wrapped up fairly soon. Had a very good conversation with the hiring manager and thanked me for calling him to follow up and confirm all this. He's pretty stressed out about the process too.

FWIW I wouldn't view this at all reflective of how the job will go once you're in. Universities are labyrinthine and governed by a bunch of awkward policies and laws when it comes to HR. They're probably using Peoplesoft, too.

Once you're in things tend to be ok.