Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Well imagine my shock when I opened my inbox this morning:

I don't know how this happened because I was using the terrible Gamestop app and every single time I clicked "checkout", it said "We're sorry, but Paypal payments are not accepted for this purchase."

Then I check my inbox and I have two Gamestop order confirmations. One for the ridiculous "all in one" bundle ($200!) and one for the "SNES Classic Dual Wireless Controller and Guide Bundle" ($165)

I never would want to order two of them from the same retailer because then I know my chances of them cancelling my order are very high. Maybe they are treating these as not being "two orders of the SNES classic" because they are different bundles? I would like to get at least one of these (if I end up with 2 I will sell one to a goon with no profit made on my part).

Should I cancel one of them? Will that increase my chance of getting one? Or is Paypal going to completely gently caress me and cancel everything because of the 19 attempts that were made?

What a shitshow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Got up in the middle of the night to put my kid in her own bed and had a target order go through on the first try. Even have a confirmation email.

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

I've got a case of malt liquor stashed in the trunk, Mr. Marvin Gaye on the CD. We are gonna get all the way down.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gBHfSF2lOhc

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
Someone post more funny bundle pics

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Goddamn Uncle at Nintendo, that would end in my wife murder-suiciding me.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Viper915 posted:

What's the go-to emulator these days anyways? Back in college I remember using ZSNES, but I think that stopped being maintained before I graduated. I remember every time I tried Star Fox 2, I just gave up and busted out Star Fox 64 for the umpteenth run through.

If you want accuracy and are okay with a beefier emulator, then higan works well for me. It's accurate and compatible with every SNES game well iirc. Only big-ish thing to remember is that the emulator will require you to specify your controller/mapped inputs before they'll start working; it'll remember after the first setup but it might trip you up the first time. It also is an emulator for other systems, but I haven't used those yet so idk how they hold up.

Dishwasher posted:

SnesGT is the best I've seen in terms of having absolutely no input lag while not having to deal with Retrocade. It's lacking in graphical filters though. After dealing with it, Snes9x and Zsnes (minimum lag, awf sound) pale in comparison for that reason alone.

I haven't tried SnesGT, but higan's developer put up a lengthy article about Emulator Input latency that thoroughly breaks down the issue. To sum up, there's only so much an emulator can do to lower the effects of input latency, and "that higan is as optimized as is reasonably possible on latency".

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

univbee posted:

Goddamn Uncle at Nintendo, that would end in my wife murder-suiciding me.

haha thank god I took my checking account off as the default in Paypal

I don't see any charges on my credit card yet though. I am guessing they both will be cancelled. Who knows? Not even Gamestop I bet.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

haha thank god I took my checking account off as the default in Paypal

I don't see any charges on my credit card yet though. I am guessing they both will be cancelled. Who knows? Not even Gamestop I bet.

Yeah even though it's 2 grand or something absurd, if it's not going to completely gently caress you otherwise, definitely give it a few days to see if it settles itself. If it doesn't and you're nonetheless able to let it ride a bit, give it until you (hopefully) get shipping confirmation and THEN raise hell.

Getting Paypal or Gamestop to start meddling in things is essentially guaranteed to get your poo poo cancelled.

I can't believe EB Games in Canada actually made two giant storefront banners when they were gone in seconds. Not even any bundles, just gone-gone.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

univbee posted:

Yeah even though it's 2 grand or something absurd, if it's not going to completely gently caress you otherwise, definitely give it a few days to see if it settles itself. If it doesn't and you're nonetheless able to let it ride a bit, give it until you (hopefully) get shipping confirmation and THEN raise hell.

Getting Paypal or Gamestop to start meddling in things is essentially guaranteed to get your poo poo cancelled.

I can't believe EB Games in Canada actually made two giant storefront banners when they were gone in seconds. Not even any bundles, just gone-gone.

Like within seconds of Gamestop tweeting that they were taking preorders, I called my sister to see if she was at the mall (she works near one and often goes there on her breaks) and she walked right over to Gamestop and the frazzled employee told her they already sold out. How the hell is that possible? It's not a very residential area. Amazing. I am however happy that people love the SNES as much as I do.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

-Calls every Gamestop to confirm if it's sold out-

anglachel
May 28, 2012
So apparently Think Geek actual physical stores are the cheat codes when it comes to this. I managed to pick up 3 of them at 6pm yesterday by just walking into Think Geek's physical store. Apparently the physical locations each got allotted a couple dozen pre orders by their parent company GameStop. NOBODY thought to go there to get one. I had a friend manage to snag one 10 minutes before close there yesterday.

I live in a major metro area to boot.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
I didn't even know they had physical stores

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

Al Borland Corp. posted:

I didn't even know they had physical stores

Yea this is news to me as well. Unfortunately, DC area is out of luck :(

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
https://twitter.com/GameStop/status/900208450071916544

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

All five of them, which we will charge you for 10 times.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

I'll believe it when I see it

TheAsterite
Dec 31, 2008
I like how websites are pushing their protection plans on the mini. Would they even be able to replace it for you given the limited quantities?

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
https://motherboard.vice.com/en_us/...l-employees-say

Jesus tapdancing Christ, Nintendo

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Honestly, Jesus tapdancing Christ, Quebec

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Yeah what are they supposed to do, write 21 new Quebecqouis specific French localizations for > 20 year old games?

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
I'm an idiot and thought it was the box and instruction manuals not being in French being the cause. Never mind!

I am not sure how the law applies there though because some of these games were never offered in French. Doesn't it then not have to adhere to that law?

Chumbawumba4ever97 fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Aug 23, 2017

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Honestly the instruction manuals would be reason enough. That's an undertaking. They don't want to have to produce a seperate version of the product for a tiny region.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Yeah what are they supposed to do, write 21 new Quebecqouis specific French localizations for > 20 year old games?

I think the problem isn't so much that as it is that French versions of many of the games there do actually exist, they just aren't on the SNES Classic.

This was also technically true with the NES Classic, as Kirby's Adventure had a French release in Canada (and was the only NES game released in NTSC in a language other than English or Japanese), but I suspect that slipped under the radar. I also find it interesting Kirby's Adventure was seen as important enough to do a Quebec-only release but the SNES Classic wasn't.

For the SNES it's a little harder to miss; Link to the Past had a French release in Canada (again, the only French game released in North America) featuring a lovely translation where the Master Sword is Excalibur, and in actual France quite a few other games were either multilingual or had a French-only release (Secret of Mana definitely did, pretty sure DKC and Star Fox/Starwing did too). Hell, even Terranigma got a French SNES version despite no NA release!

Pretty much every game which had some sort of later re-release like on GBA or DS was definitely playable in French, not sure what the law would impose in that case.

IIRC every game has at least an unofficial French translation available as an online patch. Some of them are fun, I configured a Wii with French-only games and that was a fun weird project.

As for manuals I'm like 90% sure all those games had French manuals in the SNES days. I have launch copies of Super Mario Bros., Zelda, and even Final Fantasy 1 and Dragon Warrior which do.

univbee fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Aug 23, 2017

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
I would really love to read up on the reason it was worth it to translate and release Terranigma in France but not release it in America.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

I would really love to read up on the reason it was worth it to translate and release Terranigma in France but not release it in America.

When it comes to French translations you'll find that nothing makes sense in terms of what does and doesn't get translated, bearing in mind the "what doesn't get translated" list especially now is insanely tiny. If someone told me there was a government program translating all of the SA Forums and its posts into French I'd only be mildly surprised.

Venturing a guess I'm guessing the company doing the PAL release decided or was legally compelled to releasing it multi-lingually (I believe it also exists at least in German and European Spanish), and NA just never picked it up.

Come to think of it, it's probably this. Off the top of my head, every SNES RPG I can think of that did get a PAL release got a multilingual one.

univbee fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Aug 23, 2017

Chris Christie
Dec 26, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I just use snex9x to emulate.

I played most of these games when they actually came out and I don't get the sperging over accuracy. SURPRISE after 25 years or so of time passing and my eyes/ears aging I can't tell the difference.

Chris Christie
Dec 26, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Also screw "authenticity" the hq4x option is awesome and looks fantastic and I'll pass on the dumb scan lines option. If I wanted it to look authentically lovely I'd play it on my SNES.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Too quiet today. Yesterday must have been most of the preorder chaos.

Anyone see super Famicom for sale? I actually really want that box.

Chris Christie
Dec 26, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Ineffiable posted:

Too quiet today. Yesterday must have been most of the preorder chaos.

Anyone see super Famicom for sale? I actually really want that box.

Since I have to buy from a scalper either way, I think I'm going to go that route. Already have a real SNES, might as well get the different look and colorful buttons.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
The fact the Quebec thing is literally over 2 games is hilarious.

I'd feel sorry for Quebec but I didn't get one either and no one else will anyway.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Well imagine my shock when I opened my inbox this morning:

Jesus Christ.

Nail Rat posted:

The fact the Quebec thing is literally over 2 games is hilarious.

Since no one answered me before, you can't sell poo poo in Quebec unless it's in French or something? Because that's both sad and hilarious.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

s.i.r.e. posted:

Jesus Christ.

Since no one answered me before, you can't sell poo poo in Quebec unless it's in French or something? Because that's both sad and hilarious.

From my understanding this is the case. Quebec is very big on trying to artificially preserve their hillbilly variant of French and get pissy if people don't do publish stuff in French too.

Apparently someone forgot to core the province a few centuries ago. (Paradox Studios joke).

Marshal Prolapse fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Aug 23, 2017

titty fat pizza
Jan 1, 2013
Is standing outside of Toy r us for 3 days the only real chance at getting a SNES for retail if you missed out on the random unannounced preorders?

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

s.i.r.e. posted:

The laws and rules are pretty convoluted and there's a lot of mis-information out there.

Basically Quebec is considered by many to be the last major French stronghold in North America. The French, and admittedly with some good reasons, are enormously paranoid about the language and culture disappearing. There was a lot of political action to this effect in the 60's and 70's, including some straight up terrorism and the murder of a politician, and it got so bad martial law was declared in Montreal (my dad has vivid memories of soldiers marching down the streets). Basically, the way immigration and related subjects can get extremely heated politically in the US, so too does French/English in Quebec.

French in Quebec is preserved in a lot of ways, including but not limited to strict rules about language on packaging and store signs; the latter, for example, requires that French be the first language used AND that its font be twice the size of any other languages. This is enforced via ruler by the language police. Also there are language police.

Now in certain forms of media, this does mean poo poo gets DONE. ALL movies released theatrically (with very very narrow exceptions for like film festivals and other extremely limited circumstances) get a French dub, which is without fail ready in time for the simultaneous release with the rest of North America. I'm not sure what movies are coming out this Friday, but I do know that in cinemas across Quebec it will be possible to see it dubbed (including the complex song and dance numbers in Disney films and the like, these aren't phoned in Russian overdubs or anything like that, they're proper dubs that are almost always at least passable) Thursday night around midnight. Apparently most movies have a South Park-ian production schedule for the dub and get done in like 7 days, it's mental. For books and TV shows there's more of a tail, at least a few months generally and for TV it's usually a year.

All of that being said, the rule spreads in some pretty insane ways and doesn't always work all that well, again because the French supporters refuse to give the tiniest inch to the English. This has resulted in some pretty hilarious extremist applications of the rules (Chinatown has a lot of headaches from this, and look up "spoongate" for some laughs).

Among these rules, at least since the NES days it was, if not the law then, at least very much expected that products sold to customers, if not be in French themselves, at least have French packaging and a French manual, regardless of whether or not that made sense for the product in question. This has created delays, like Final Fantasy VII I think had a delay of something like a week because they had to get a French manual translated and printed. The game itself was English-only, the French version was only in France; Eidos' PC release was in French in Europe and that got reverse-imported to Quebec. The translations for packaging and manuals frequently have translation errors stemming from the fact the translator very obviously didn't have the context of what they were translating.

Currently while it is possible to sell a video game that's only in English, it is apparently NOT allowed to only sell it in English, if a French version exists at the time you initially release it.

It's also possible they're skipping the manual but I don't think that's likely, Nintendo's been releasing French manuals since the NES launch and I don't see why they'd stop now (and not having a French manual may block you from Canada entirely).

univbee fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Aug 23, 2017

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
I'm sure if you go a few hours before opening you'd be fine, not just at toys r us, but any major retailer. Preorders did not represent all stock.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

titty fat pizza posted:

Is standing outside of Toy r us for 3 days the only real chance at getting a SNES for retail if you missed out on the random unannounced preorders?

Go at like 5 or 6 in the morning of release and you'll probably get one.

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

Al Borland Corp. posted:

I'm sure if you go a few hours before opening you'd be fine, not just at toys r us, but any major retailer. Preorders did not represent all stock.

Think they will do a black-Friday style release event? Oh man I just had the terrible thought of competing with people camping overnight at Gamestop.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

univbee posted:

It's also possible they're skipping the manual but I don't think that's likely, Nintendo's been releasing French manuals since the NES launch and I don't see why they'd stop now (and not having a French manual may block you from Canada entirely).

There are no manuals with the NES Classic and (I assume) SNES Classic. There is a link to download a PDFs of the manuals from a website, but I highly doubt the language police would go THAT far...would they?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Nail Rat posted:

There are no manuals with the NES Classic and (I assume) SNES Classic. There is a link to download a PDFs of the manuals from a website, but I highly doubt the language police would go THAT far...would they?

I can confirm with my brother, but based on what he's told me from working retail, yes they absolutely would.