Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

turtlecrunch posted:

"Nerf scatter" came up from chat and Seagulls told the dev "no, you didn't see that", and the dev agreed

lmao what a loving hypocrite

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer
Zen was the character I played as at launch and stayed as throughout over my overwatch career. I really enjoy playing the chill murder machine while micromanaging teammate health.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Don't touch my loving scatter arrow it's the only way I get kills on this garbage hero!!!!

The Blue Caboose
May 20, 2007

jeff gerstmann hates fun

Kai Tave posted:

Seagull regularly plays Hanzo, a hero whose entire schtick is one-hit kills, he has no room to talk.

He's probably closest to a Genji main, and Genji gets poo poo on by Doomfist, who also kinda displaces Genji's niche a little, so I can understand the bitterness.

edit: scatter is fine, but if they made Hanzo's kit better and dropped it to 12s instead of 8s or dropped it's damage i'd be pretty okay with that. As it is, Hanzo is probably the character least in need of a nerf right now.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

telling me doomfist needs nerfs because he shits all over genji is like telling me an ice cream cone needs to be thrown away because it's just TOO delicious

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

Manatee Cannon posted:

where are all you support mains in the qp games I join

MH, 3v3, and comp. The last thing I want to do with my time is watch a bunch of flanker ninjas running in opposite directions.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

how can you be a support main in mystery heroes

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

Manatee Cannon posted:

I'm on Xbox

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

Manatee Cannon posted:

Playing DPS.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

headcase posted:

MH, 3v3, and comp. The last thing I want to do with my time is watch a bunch of flanker ninjas running in opposite directions.

the first and last thing you said directly contradict one another

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

Manatee Cannon posted:

the first and last thing you said directly contradict one another

I dunno. MH can actually help with that problem a bit. People generally embrace the comp they get and use their supports when they roll them. If there is a rein, that defines how people try to win. In QP everyone just wants to selfishly practice their genji skills.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Here's my plan to rework Scatter Arrow:
1. Make a traditional Japanese shrine to Hanzo in the Defender's spawn on Hanamura.
2. Give Genji a bunch of lines where he reflects on how his brother heroically sacrificed himself to save him, thus finally earning his redemption.
3. Delete Hanzo.

Irony Be My Shield fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Aug 22, 2017

Kassoon
Nov 16, 2005

gonna hit you with his cockatrice

headcase posted:

I dunno. MH can actually help with that problem a bit. People generally embrace the comp they get and use their supports when they roll them. If there is a rein, that defines how people try to win. In QP everyone just wants to selfishly practice their genji skills.

This whole genji/hanzo/widow situation was directly caused by the official overwatch twitter:

http://i.imgur.com/QEIqVJU.gifv

Dodgeball
Sep 24, 2003

Oh no! Dodgeball is really scary!

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Here's my plan to rework Scatter Arrow:
2. Give Genji a bunch of lines where he reflects on how his brother heroically sacrificed himself to save him, this finally earning his redemption.

The play whenever he uses reflect.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Bumper Stickup posted:

Zen was the character I played as at launch and stayed as throughout over my overwatch career. I really enjoy playing the chill murder machine while micromanaging teammate health.

I was playing MH last night and rolled Tracer as three other people on my team rolled Zen.

I have never had so much fun just melting motherfuckers.

MH was slow to grow on me but ever since I realized that slampick Hanjo and slampick Widow are gone from that mode, it's become my favorite.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe

Ersatz posted:

Playing support is actually a blast once you get the hang of it. I mean, yeah, it's also fun to click on heads and watch enemies disappear, but there's a lot of nuanced decision-making involved in the support role, and characters like Lucio also reward raw skill.

It was kind of fun at first, but poo poo really clicked once I got the hang of using GA to zip around the map, and, like you say, make calculated decisions on who to heal or damage boost and when. The combination of mobility and seeing the way my performance tangibly impacts the match is great fun.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

turtlecrunch posted:

Here's my notes from the Seagull Q&A with Principal Designer Scott Mercer:

• Multiple Mercy mains in competitive games: not as prevalent as people think according to their data, much bigger issue is games with no tank/support players at all

• Are you excited for the Roadhog changes: dev in choked voice, "Yes" - thinks with healing support Roadhog is very hard to kill
HMMM. :thunk:

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

How about blizzard make a tank hero fun to play for once

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

frajaq posted:

How about blizzard makes a tank hero fun to play for once
Gundam-D.Va for the win.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
I enjoy playing support in games with a well-designed support paradigm, which mean that I mostly hate it in Overwatch except for Ana who is an absolute scream.

Lucio can be fun but the more fun you're having with Lucio the less you're doing your job.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

IronicDongz posted:

and seagull has repeatedly said that scatter arrow should be changed

Hanzo doesn't need scatter arrow to one-shot people, he's a character whose basic attack launches arrows that are "merely" the size of 2x4's as opposed to the mighty tree trunks they once were which instantly kill anyone 250 hitpoints or less, and then he has a second, separate ability which allows him to one-hit kill even more things harder. The entire point of playing Hanzo is to instantly kill someone the second they round a corner or to loose a scatter arrow and honorably obliterate someone two levels down from the target you were aiming at.

Cowcaster posted:

telling me doomfist needs nerfs because he shits all over genji is like telling me an ice cream cone needs to be thrown away because it's just TOO delicious

I want to hire someone to write this down on expensive paper in gold ink using fancy calligraphy, frame it, and mail it to Blizzard.

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer

Cowcaster posted:

This is easily my most favorite post I've seen.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

frajaq posted:

Zarya can be amazing fun if you've got someone to support you and a good bubble target. She's basically what got me into Overwatch before I fell in love with Pharah instead.

Wyld Karde
Mar 18, 2013

She's so ~dreamy~
Looks like there's some new fodder for Dinoflask:
Developer update about season six changes. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jqf0e8zzyCw

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
+ Season is 2 months instead of 3
+ More competitive points per win
+ Only 5 games per week to prevent SR decay instead of 7
+ SR decay is in -25 increments instead of -50
+ They have other ideas to replace SR decay, but for now this is how it will be implemented
+ KOTH now Best of 3 instead of Best of 5
+ No longer artificially deflating SR after placements, you should be placed accurately to your SR
+ Matchmaker will be trying harder to avoid stomps and only match 50/50, this may cause longer queue times for T500 players
+ Thinking on more changes for season 7/8, want feedback on s6 changes

e: Some additional comments made other places
+ AFK farming measures have been implemented for Lucioball
+ Current PTR patch is locked and going through console certification
+ New PTR will be up this week or next

turtlecrunch fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Aug 23, 2017

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Does this mean people will get salty/toxic faster in comp :thunk:

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

frajaq posted:

orisa came out a while ago

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer

turtlecrunch posted:

+ Current PTR patch is locked and going through console certification
+ New PTR will be up this week or next

RIP Fist. :smith:

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
I would actually say that tanks in general are pretty fun to play. Even Reinhardt, who many people consider the dullest character in the game because his primary gimmick is holding up a wall for people to hide behind, can go gloriously ham and in fact a big part of playing Rein is knowing exactly when to do so and crush half the enemy team. Playing Winston and bullying the Symmetras and Widowmakers of the world likewise never gets old.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

turtlecrunch posted:

+ More competitive points per win

+ But less for the end of season reward (should even out over a longer period of time).

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

mcbexx posted:

+ But less for the end of season reward (should even out over a longer period of time).

ew

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
Avoided comp for two weeks, decided to jump in again cause what the hell, it's almost the end of the season: 3 DPS, a Widow, and a Hanzo on a control map. :discourse:

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Kaubocks posted:

orisa came out a while ago

he was talking about tanks that are fun to play, friend

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?

Manatee Cannon posted:

he was talking about tanks that are fun to play, friend

Orisa came out awhile ago

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i'd rather play a tank than a support, but i'd rather play a dps than a tank, and based on the way blizzard was talking about it i think the majority of players feel exactly the same way

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Just saw on Facebook that the summer games end on the 28th. Is it just me, or is this event really short? Feels like it just started, I haven't even gotten a single skin from it yet.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

Cowcaster posted:

i'd rather play a tank than a support, but i'd rather play a dps than a tank, and based on the way blizzard was talking about it i think the majority of players feel exactly the same way
They should probably add more than 4 healers then

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Wrist Watch posted:

Just saw on Facebook that the summer games end on the 28th. Is it just me, or is this event really short? Feels like it just started, I haven't even gotten a single skin from it yet.

they've all lasted about 3 weeks iirc, including this one

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Manatee Cannon posted:

they've all lasted about 3 weeks iirc, including this one

Huh, maybe I'm just burning out on events/this game in general. I've barely played at all this go round.

Welp, guess it's time to grind some boxes over the next week. The only skins I really want are Soldier and Sombra, if I don't get them I'll just buy a few boxes the last day and cross my fingers. v:v:v

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

I'm the same way, played a few rounds at the start after not playing for months then that was it. I still want Grillmaster:76 and the Junkertown map looks good but I think the spell is broken. More time for Broodwar remastered!