Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HazCat
May 4, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!

Captain Yossarian posted:

I'm gonna move to Australia

You'll regret it when you see what passes for Internet connectivity here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!

EugeneJ posted:

Any customer who wants to know your name in retail is

-trying to get something from you
-a piece of poo poo

No exceptions

it's always some rich old gently caress with nothing to do, too

*completes a complicated order over the phone, including physically describing all the inventory and differences between similar products as the customer won't look at our only listings because "it's just so much nicer to talk to a person!"*

"and your name is?"

*calls back 2 weeks later to shriek at you because the shipping department didn't pack your poo poo perfectly and one of the 18 packages you meticulously gift wrapped for them got a tear in it*

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)
My mom asks people's name because she likes to make friends with the people that work at the places she frequents, she is literally full of love and hugs and wants everyone to know she's thankful for them, IME most people are happy to see her because she is not an entitled shitbag and treats them with respect.

This backfires occasionally because I know people like her make up a vanishingly small amount of customers, so sometimes people get scared when she asks their name. Managers will come up to her being like "Hi were you having a problem with Bob at the register?" "No, he is just so nice and always makes my order just right! He's a really good guy!"

She is literally :shobon: personified

She is not a horrible customer, she just makes all other customers look worse

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Gridlocked posted:

Man have you tried the new eTax? It's SOOOOO goooood. I mean with investments in the future and poo poo I will be looking at paying an accountant to do it for me. But while I'm just earning a standard wage with no real deductibles its like 5min to do my tax return for the year. Just go into the website, log in, copy my annual net sum from the emailed info my work sent and boom done.

So much better than the old lovely etax. Remember the one you had to download, save the data for carry over to next year and it barely had any auto populate data?

Do you mean myTax? myTax is the online form that you use if you have simple tax affairs, eTax is the program you download which is equivalent to a full paper tax return form, and is still around. I haven't used it since myTax came out though.

I'm told the US government tried to develop something similar only to get sued by the companies making tax software that people had to buy, and they stopped.

HazCat posted:

You'll regret it when you see what passes for Internet connectivity here.

I have 100 mbit fibre to the home, seems fine. Also grandfathered into a crazy cheap plan that they can prise from my cold dead body.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Glenn Quebec posted:

Lol. Then you would snap awake from your daydream / fantasy and hand the change over.

can you get me a day drinking job at GS? something simple like risk management. I can kinda do math and you dipshits gently caress up all the time so it's not like i'd have to do a good job

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

People that throw their money at me when I have my hand out piss me off the most. You're not at the strip club, you don't have to make it rain on my register, and I'm not your whore.

There's one old lady so averse to touching anything, she'll put each individual bill and coin on the register belt while everyone else watches. I put her change down right in front of her so I can watch her try to pick up a dime with no fingernails gently caress you put the money in my hand.

There's another lady, I don't know if it was a fire or what, but her skin looks like she dove into a vat of bleach and then headbutted a belt sander. She makes me think of Pigpen but instead of dirt clouds it's skin flakes :barf:

Fuckface the Hedgehog
Jun 12, 2007

The Lord Bude posted:

Do you mean myTax? myTax is the online form that you use if you have simple tax affairs, eTax is the program you download which is equivalent to a full paper tax return form, and is still around. I haven't used it since myTax came out though.

I'm told the US government tried to develop something similar only to get sued by the companies making tax software that people had to buy, and they stopped.

I have 100 mbit fibre to the home, seems fine. Also grandfathered into a crazy cheap plan that they can prise from my cold dead body.

The ato have made it incredibly difficult to get ahold of the etax program easily which I peronally found annoying because I prefer it to the fully online system. Mainly from being a huge grognard when it comes to tax.

Also congrats on being the only person in australia to have 100mbit fibre.

Actually, second person. I know abother guy who has it, but his drops out whenever it rains. :v:

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

Waffle! posted:

People that throw their money at me when I have my hand out piss me off the most. You're not at the strip club, you don't have to make it rain on my register, and I'm not your whore.

There's one old lady so averse to touching anything, she'll put each individual bill and coin on the register belt while everyone else watches. I put her change down right in front of her so I can watch her try to pick up a dime with no fingernails gently caress you put the money in my hand.

There's another lady, I don't know if it was a fire or what, but her skin looks like she dove into a vat of bleach and then headbutted a belt sander. She makes me think of Pigpen but instead of dirt clouds it's skin flakes :barf:

lmao disfigured people r soooo grossss

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

HerStuddMuffin posted:

Could you explain the difference, please?

He now works from home.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Waffle! posted:

I was doing a thing the other day that required I give my ID over to the clerk. He asked for it, then turned around to do something, so I set it down on the counter for him. When he turned back around and saw it he asked me to pick it up and hand it to him.

He then said that he doesn't pick up things.

The vibe he was giving off was that he took it as me being dis-respectful to him. Is that a thing any of you have seen?

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

I wouldn't be so annoyed at that because I was distracted with whatever else.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Tolkien minority posted:

lmao disfigured people r soooo grossss

actually despite your sarcasm people shedding dead and presumably diseased skin everywhere in public is, in fact, gross as hell

being disfigured does not actually make you god king of social mores

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

food court bailiff posted:

actually despite your sarcasm people shedding dead and presumably diseased skin everywhere in public is, in fact, gross as hell

being disfigured does not actually make you god king of social mores

As far as I'm aware being a burn victim is not contagious

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Tolkien minority posted:

it is, again, also not carte blanche to leave your dead fuckin' skin everywhere

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

EugeneJ posted:

Any customer who wants to know your name in retail is

-trying to get something from you
-a piece of poo poo

No exceptions

When I go to a place enough and see the same person there eventually I'll ask them their name. I'm not trying to be their friend or report them to anyone, I just see them enough I figure I might as well act like they are an actual human being instead of a disposable cog. Am I secretly being an rear end in a top hat?

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
In some cultures it's really rude to hand money to people - you're expected to put it down on the counter. There's this japanese grocery store I go to sometimes, when it's time to pay, you put your money or credit card on a little tray; the cashier slides the tray towards themselves, picks it up, processes your payment, then puts your card or change back onto the tray and slides it towards you.

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

I am a terrible person, and I'm sure she's self conscious about it, but skin flakes are gross.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
Don't be rude to my friend Enfield itt please

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Tolkien minority posted:

it depends how on fire they are

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!
at least the skin flakes don't move. I had a customer decide to de-lice his daughter in the children's section of a bookstore I worked at. he was very upset when we threw him out, too. his parting words- "gently caress you, they're not even loving contagious!"

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

The Walrus posted:

it depends how on fire they are
:golfclap:

Gay Weed Dad
Jul 12, 2016

cool dude, flyin' high

limp_cheese posted:

When I go to a place enough and see the same person there eventually I'll ask them their name. I'm not trying to be their friend or report them to anyone, I just see them enough I figure I might as well act like they are an actual human being instead of a disposable cog. Am I secretly being an rear end in a top hat?

No, I certainly appreciated this when I worked retail for the exact reasons you mentioned (I'm a human with a name). In fact, I live in a small town and still run into old customers on the regular so it makes me quite happy to be on a first name basis with so many people.

Lemon
May 22, 2003

I used to work in an aquatics store and some woman ran over one of my colleagues because he tried to stop her from stealing two boxes of fish food.

Starman Super DX
Oct 17, 2011

This title text is surprisingly sturdy.

Gay Weed Dad posted:

No, I certainly appreciated this when I worked retail for the exact reasons you mentioned (I'm a human with a name). In fact, I live in a small town and still run into old customers on the regular so it makes me quite happy to be on a first name basis with so many people.

There's an extremely thin line between the regular who sees you often enough to catch your name and give you a casual "Hey so-and-so, how's it going?" And the stranger you've never seen who thinks that anyone who has a name tag is their bestest buddy and announces it immediately upon meeting you and insists on making pointless conversation.

Plus there are the "why do you never smile?" customers who can't take the hint that I stop smiling when I see them because they're terrible.
I've literally heard these people say that I'm unfriendly or unsociable because I refuse to pretend to be friendly to them.

Maybe I'm a freak idk but after a few poor reactions with a particular individual I assume that they have a problem with me personally and not that they must be a horrible rear end in a top hat for not being friendlier.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
The "why don't you smile" people are either loving with you because you're at their mercy or flirting

It never comes off well either way - correct response is "give me something to smile about"

edit: comedy response - "I killed my family"

EugeneJ fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Aug 23, 2017

HazCat
May 4, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!
The only people who use my name out of nowhere are the weird middle-aged guys who seem to think I will willingly engage in some sort of weird power play with them. I guess because I am a woman wearing a uniform?

Jokes on them though because I am not impressed or intimidated at all, I just help them find whatever they need and then walk away. I imagine it's a lot worse being trapped behind a register with those guys though.

And as an aside, I'm out of uniform 80% of the time, and never deal with any weird or rude behaviour when I am. It only ever happens when I'm in uniform :confused:

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

EugeneJ posted:

It never comes off well either way - correct response is "give me something to smile about"

I also like to live dangerously.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
Today during lunch I called the server by their name every single time I interacted with him. Every. Time.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

EugeneJ posted:

Thats how you get a dick flopped out in front of you.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Glenn Quebec posted:

Today during lunch I called the server by their name every single time I interacted with him. Every. Time.
History's Greatest Monster.

Starman Super DX
Oct 17, 2011

Glenn Quebec posted:

I too enjoy my food garnished with human saliva

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

Nah, it's one of those open kitchen style place. There is no hidden spot to do too much damage.

Then again I can handle some spit.

"Thanks for the menu..*squint* Derrick. What do you recommend? Nah, I'm not in the mood for that Derrick. Derrick, What else do you like?"

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

Glenn Quebec posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pfk4iWIrCvs&t=122s

Starman Super DX
Oct 17, 2011

Glenn Quebec posted:

"Thanks for the menu..*squint* Derrick. What do you recommend? Nah, I'm not in the mood for that Derrick. Derrick, What else do you like?"

Admittedly I could see myself being amused by this if you were charismatic enough to pull it off in a comedic way.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

I'm sure he hates me.

Starman Super DX
Oct 17, 2011

Oh almost certainly.

Miserable Maid
Apr 22, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Look what you guys did, you were mean to Glenn Quebec and now he's become a monster

Starman Super DX
Oct 17, 2011

It's a real "chicken and the egg" thing tbh

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.
Glenn Quebec has been a thorn in the side of this, The GBS Retail Thread, for far too long. I'm glad someone in the real world now knows that Glenn is unnecessarily antagonistic to retail workers, and should be avoided, if possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

They can't avoid me. They're retail workers. Well, actually, service industry. Whatever.

• Locked thread