Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Malachite_Dragon posted:

My dad worked in IT for the first half of my life; he can do his own drat tech support :v:

My dad was an EE, but switched to the management track and got his MBA. He's incredibly smart, but can't figure out even the most basic of troubleshooting steps. He's been in CIO positions nearly all his life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
I still have around 3 pages of the thread left, but now that Crashplan's no longer the good and cool unlimited home backup solution, what's the opinion?

Difficulty level: I do most of my data storage on a NAS device mounted as a letter drive :-(

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
I said gently caress it and went with the discounted small business version for now because gently caress re-uploading 600gb of data on a 2mbps upload.

That said I'll likely go with backblaze down the road, seems to be the next best option.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

D. Ebdrup posted:

It must be nice to earn millions of dollars an hour for being expected to know what users want and be aware of all possible permutations that their actions could have. Because that's in your contract, right? Right!? :ohdear:

In situations like this my boss will toss out the phrase "you need to use common sense" which roughly translates to "you need to be psychic"

netwerk23
Aug 22, 2000
I spelled 'network' wrong.

MJP posted:

I still have around 3 pages of the thread left, but now that Crashplan's no longer the good and cool unlimited home backup solution, what's the opinion?
They're offering me Carbonite at 50% off, so I'll probably go that route.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

devmd01 posted:

I said gently caress it and went with the discounted small business version for now because gently caress re-uploading 600gb of data on a 2mbps upload.

That said I'll likely go with backblaze down the road, seems to be the next best option.

Same. I have 8 TB of stuff uploaded and do not want to go through that pain again.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

MJP posted:

Difficulty level: I do most of my data storage on a NAS device mounted as a letter drive :-(

I must have missed something. What happened to Crashplan?

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

ponzicar posted:

I must have missed something. What happened to Crashplan?

they changed their plan offering a few years back to discontinue multi-year home subs, whadda ya know, nearly 2 years later to the day they announced they were no longer interested in serving the consumer backup/dr market segment.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

In situations like this my boss will toss out the phrase "you need to use common sense" which roughly translates to "you need to be psychic"

You mean you didn't pick up on it from the many planning meetings you weren't invited to?

mewse
May 2, 2006

Malachite_Dragon posted:

My dad worked in IT for the first half of my life; he can do his own drat tech support :v:

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

True, but I learned how to use one at some point.

Danyull
Jan 16, 2011

The best/worst part about being the support person for your school's online system is that whenever one of your professors does something dumb you have a near 0% chance of convincing them it's actually their fault. One sent out the syllabus for the class in an e-mail before I registered for it, so I sent him a message asking if he could forward that to me. He replied saying it was attached, but there's no file actually attached to it. When I told him that, he suggested that I contact support for help except oops, that's me. Now that he knows he thinks I'm just being a smartass. :suicide101:

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

Danyull posted:

The best/worst part about being the support person for your school's online system is that whenever one of your professors does something dumb you have a near 0% chance of convincing them it's actually their fault. One sent out the syllabus for the class in an e-mail before I registered for it, so I sent him a message asking if he could forward that to me. He replied saying it was attached, but there's no file actually attached to it. When I told him that, he suggested that I contact support for help except oops, that's me. Now that he knows he thinks I'm just being a smartass. :suicide101:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=wt1kK8gsag4

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Danyull posted:

Yeah, no. That's just professors. My Dad (the aforementioned family support dude) NEVER does ANYTHING wrong. It is just the unreliability of computers nowadays. They were so much more reliable when he worked with them in the Navy 40 years ago.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

iajanus posted:

True, but I learned how to use one at some point.

:perfect:

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

A ticket came in:

"When the internet goes out, I can't transfer calls".

(It's a VoIP site.)

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
So after they canned the desktop support guy in June because he never showed up on time, we had to have the "please shower and use deodorant" talk with him more than once, and he had to be hand-held through getting poo poo done, and they didn't hire a replacement immediately because of some BS reason about how the current quarter's budget was needed to pay out his accumulated but un-used vacation time, and after I've been given static by the guy who was supposed to be covering desktop/helpdesk support (after talking to our boss multiple times about it), I am starting to have a real morale decrease.

They put in my performance review that my objective for the coming year would be to hire and become the supervisor of a new desktop guy. The quarter ends this week.

I just emailed my boss asking that since this is a written objective, when can I start this hiring process, and if I don't get something other than "yeah, let's do it" then I am having a talk with him about said decreasing morale.

If after that nothing is forthcoming or fairly close, I'm not looking forward to :yotj:ing out of what is otherwise a wonderful place to work where I have the autonomy I need to do my job, an 8-4 shift with a doable commute, relaxed and decent corporate culture, and a six-figure salary. Plus a boss that respects me and I respect back, but I'm at the point where I don't care if it's corporate calendar requirements that are holding him back - I haven't thought seriously about leaving here yet, and my two-year anniversary is next Thursday.

Might as well start studying for my MCSE in case the fecal matter impacts the air impeller unit.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Samizdata posted:

Yeah, no. That's just professors. My Dad (the aforementioned family support dude) NEVER does ANYTHING wrong. It is just the unreliability of computers nowadays. They were so much more reliable when he worked with them in the Navy 40 years ago.

They were much more reliable back then because he was the low man on the pole and got screamed at by the chief if he hosed up. Thanks to the magic of rose colored glasses and whisky fueled repression, all he remembers now is how well the old Navy systems worked!

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

They were much more reliable back then because he was the low man on the pole and got screamed at by the chief if he hosed up. Thanks to the magic of rose colored glasses and whisky fueled repression, all he remembers now is how well the old Navy systems worked!

Yeah, unfortunately I forgot to add smileys or something so you could tell my voice was dripping with disdain and snark in that statement.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Samizdata posted:

Yeah, unfortunately I forgot to add smileys or something so you could tell my voice was dripping with disdain and snark in that statement.

Oh, I knew it was dripping with all manner of things.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Samizdata posted:

I actually worked on some of those old Navy computers, the AN/UYK-20.

Those things weren't *that* reliable, the only advantage was that they were the computer equivalent of a Nintendo, you loaded the program with paper tape, ran it and then it did its thing. No installs, no patching, just load the tape and run.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I actually worked on some of those old Navy computers, the AN/UYK-20.

Those things weren't *that* reliable, the only advantage was that they were the computer equivalent of a Nintendo, you loaded the program with paper tape, ran it and then it did its thing. No installs, no patching, just load the tape and run.

Oh, aye. I keep trying to explain the issues with complexity and emergent errors. He then complains that they need to field test more. There are three computers in that house. None of them are the same. I bring the improbability of proper testing on all the different builds out there, I hear that the industry is just lazy.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Samizdata posted:

Oh, aye. I keep trying to explain the issues with complexity and emergent errors. He then complains that they need to field test more. There are three computers in that house. None of them are the same. I bring the improbability of proper testing on all the different builds out there, I hear that the industry is just lazy.

Nah, just ask him if he'd pay navy prices for a fully tested computer ( that he then could never change or upgrade for 30 years ). The real underlying cause is people aren't willing to pay what 100% reliability would cost, so 95% it is.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
Customer handed me a computer 'manual' and asked if it would be useful for her new workstation.

Useful stuff.

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice
I'm the cum fax modem

mewse
May 2, 2006

A Pinball Wizard posted:

I'm the cum fax modem

I already have a cum fax modem, thanks

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

EoRaptor posted:

Nah, just ask him if he'd pay navy prices for a fully tested computer ( that he then could never change or upgrade for 30 years ). The real underlying cause is people aren't willing to pay what 100% reliability would cost, so 95% it is.

Yeah, no. Although the question is hilarious, the ensuing argument wouldn't be worth it.

Really.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

mewse posted:

txt me

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

A Pinball Wizard posted:

I'm the cum fax modem
Teledildonics sure has come a long way, baby.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Stay out of my BBS with your dick modems.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

uPen posted:

Send faxes without a fax machine

and yet... here we are.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

mewse posted:

Now I'm picturing an old school sheet feed fax machine, blittering and beeping away as it starts to dial and sync, then a huge ropy string of spunk flies in from just out of frame and lands on the feed roller. The feed rollers starts turning, and smears it all over the place. On the other end, a super excited woman looks at the output coming out of the fax machine and it fades to black.

The Cum Fax Modem, part of the newest line of Teledildonics Technology, bought to you by IBM.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

Now I'm picturing an old school sheet feed fax machine, blittering and beeping away as it starts to dial and sync, then a huge ropy string of spunk flies in from just out of frame and lands on the feed roller. The feed rollers starts turning, and smears it all over the place. On the other end, a super excited woman looks at the output coming out of the fax machine and it fades to black.

The Cum Fax Modem, part of the newest line of Teledildonics Technology, bought to you by IBM.

Extremely high bandwidth but with extreme latency between pings, averaging between 900,000ms and 1,800,000ms

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

CommieGIR posted:

Stay out of my BBS with your Dick Modems.

Hang on while I register my parachute account...

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Ok, here's a request from my boss that I've been trying to even get a good handle on.

We have an AD domain that covers all of our offices using Sites and Services, say contoso.office or what have you. All four DCs all talk to each other via site-to-site tunnels, so if you hop on a computer on the network and do "nslookup contoso.office" you get

code:
Name:    contoso.office
Addresses:  172.5.4.3
which correspond to A records on the DNS servers.

My boss wants it so that a computer in one office will only resolve to the local DC so that traffic doesn't have to travel via the tunnels from CA to NY and back. I imagine there's some way to filter DNS by OU or something, but I don't even know what to search for. I know there's DNS Filtering stuff in Server 2016 but it seems more aimed at blocking stuff than what I'm doing here?

Raerlynn
Oct 28, 2007

Sorry I'm late, I'm afraid I got lost on the path of life.

Inspector_666 posted:

Ok, here's a request from my boss that I've been trying to even get a good handle on.

We have an AD domain that covers all of our offices using Sites and Services, say contoso.office or what have you. All four DCs all talk to each other via site-to-site tunnels, so if you hop on a computer on the network and do "nslookup contoso.office" you get

code:
Name:    contoso.office
Addresses:  172.5.4.3
which correspond to A records on the DNS servers.

My boss wants it so that a computer in one office will only resolve to the local DC so that traffic doesn't have to travel via the tunnels from CA to NY and back. I imagine there's some way to filter DNS by OU or something, but I don't even know what to search for. I know there's DNS Filtering stuff in Server 2016 but it seems more aimed at blocking stuff than what I'm doing here?

You have to define a site and it's subnet. By doing so you tell machines at Site A that used 172.16.0.x/24 to use a given DNS server, site B routes a different subnet and so on

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Raerlynn posted:

You have to define a site and it's subnet. By doing so you tell machines at Site A that used 172.16.0.x/24 to use a given DNS server, site B routes a different subnet and so on

Alright, cool. Looks like that's already set up so I'll have to get more specifics from the boss about what traffic he sees "leaking."

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Is there actually a problem, or is it hypothetical? A domain-joined client is aware of sites and won't be traversing a VPN tunnel to pull down GPOs for example.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

Thanks Ants posted:

Is there actually a problem, or is it hypothetical? A domain-joined client is aware of sites and won't be traversing a VPN tunnel to pull down GPOs for example.

Assuming your sites are configured properly :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Thanks Ants posted:

I'm not 100% sure if there's an actual issue or what it is exactly. The initial request seemed like it would require breaking our DNS setup, I'll have to get more specifics.

• Locked thread