Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gerdalti
May 24, 2003

SPOON!
Why not cast the spell Con mod times per day. That could be fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Here's the spell.

Gerdalti posted:

Why not cast the spell Con mod times per day. That could be fun.

So conflicted...

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you
Talking about both "until end of caster's turn" and "until the end of your next turn" seems needlessly confusing, if one of these isn't merely a mistake.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

So are temporary hit points still a thing in 5e? I'm looking at feats related to revenants and seeing if I can convert them...

MMAgCh posted:

Talking about both "until end of caster's turn" and "until the end of your next turn" seems needlessly confusing, if one of these isn't merely a mistake.

Good catch, I'll fix that in a bit.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

Lurdiak posted:

So are temporary hit points still a thing in 5e? I'm looking at feats related to revenants and seeing if I can convert them...

Good catch, I'll fix that in a bit.

Yes. See page 198 of the PHB.

Notably, they cannot stack- if you receive a new set of temp HP, you choose which set to keep and discard the other. (Hopefully you decided on the one with more, but it's an option)

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

How does this look for a custom race?

I'm still considering just how many uses of Dark Reaping they should get per day... and I have no idea what weapon proficiencies they should have, if any.

Sage Genesis
Aug 14, 2014
OG Murderhobo
Unliving:
I know what you mean, but if this was official material it would need some clarification. For a homebrew in your own game, no problem.

Past Life:
5e doesn't use race as prerequisites for such things. There are maybe one or two racial feats, and they don't appear in the PHB. So for most games this ability does, in essence, nothing.

Unnatural Vitality:
1. In 5e, you can't drop to lower than 0 hp.
2. What is the "first" death saving throw? Say I'm a Revenant and I get knocked down. So I keep on ticking for a while, then at the end of my turn I roll the save and go unconscious. Immediately thereafter, my Cleric buddy heals me. Then, on the monster's next round, I go down again. Is my next save the "first"?
3. Note that in 5e, being hit while at 0 hp means you take a death safe failure. Since your enemies still consider you a threat, it's very possible that this ability is a double-edged sword which gets you killed.

Weapon Proficiencies:
They don't need any. A few races get those due to their culture (e.g. elves) but others can just rely on what they get from their class.

All in all, needs a bit of polish and clarification, but not bad.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Hm. There are several feats for 4e Revenants that require you to be a specific reincarnated race to take them. Maybe I should just make it so Past Life naturally grants you the advantage of that feat? Almost all of them involve being able to use a racial power or trait in lieu of Dark Reaping(example: use Dragonbreath instead of Dark Reaping if you're a reincarnated Dragonborn), so it would only provide more options, not more power. It also turns Dark Reaping uses into a kind of resource, which I rather like.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
One of the old UA's actually brought up the Revenant if you want to take a look at it.

https://dnd.wizards.com/sites/default/files/media/upload/articles/UA%20Gothic%20Characters.pdf

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Yeah, I saw that, and saw that it was terrible, hence why I'm making my own homebrewed version for this campaign.

The NPC
Nov 21, 2010

(Note: not familiar with 4e Revenants)
If you're supposed to pick another race, like Dragonborn to be Revenant (Dragonborn), then I would make a couple of different abilities. Then you would have a sub-race specific ability.

You could then have you Dark Reaping grant points to uses of that ability. E.g.: instead of the Dragonborn's breath weapon being 1/short, have Dark Reaping grant you a use of it. I would also have a base way to spend these points on which would be available to all Revenants. The default effect of Dark Reaping would work for that.

Then cap Dark Reaping at 3/short or whatever so you can't go spamming breath weapons or +d8s every round.

This might be getting too involved though.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
Living Divine also redid the revenant for 5e

Such an immortal is known as a revenant (rev-uh-NENT).A revenant looks like a typical member of its original race. However, upon closer inspection, its skin seems unusually pallid, and it is surrounded by the faint odor of rotten meat. Having faced death already, revenants tend to be fearless. They only flinch in the face of fire and divine light.

Aberration: You were born to mortal parents of one of the typical races – and lived out your first life as one of them. Choose one of the following: dwarf, elf, halfling, human, gnome. You superficially resemble members of that race.

Ability Score Increase: Your Constitution score increases by 2, and your Strength score increases by 1.

Age: You appear to be a valid age for a member of your original race. However, your appearance stopped changing when you died. You may actually be several hundred years older than you look.

Size: You are the same size as a typical member of your original race. Your size is Medium.

Speed: Your base walking speed is 30 feet.

Type: Your type is undead. You do not require air, food, drink, or sleep.

Darkvision: You have superior vision in dark and dim conditions. You can see in dim light within 60 feet of you as if it were bright light, and in darkness as if it were dim light. You can’t discern color in darkness, only shades of gray.

Damage Resistance: You have resistance to necrotic damage.

Condition Immunity: You cannot be poisoned.

Damage Vulnerability: You have vulnerability to fire and radiant damage.

Regeneration: You gain hit points at the start of each turn equal to half your level (minimum of 1). If you take fire or radiant damage, this trait does not function at the start of your next turn. You also do not regenerate if you are at 0 hit points.

Languages: You can speak, read, and write Common and a language fitting your original race.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Why does this module note that every time there's a pair of something that they're a mated pair? Am I supposed to have the survivor hulk out with grief every time they kill one? If the party just watches from a distance are they supposed to bone after a while?

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

Krinkle posted:

Why does this module note that every time there's a pair of something that they're a mated pair? Am I supposed to have the survivor hulk out with grief every time they kill one? If the party just watches from a distance are they supposed to bone after a while?

Is there a flood imminent?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Krinkle posted:

Think they are just trying to inform you how things work in those places.

With Dragons is makes a good deal of sense, cause they are solitary creatures for the most part so it's explaining why two of them would be together.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Krinkle posted:

Oooh, look, a carefully described immersive verisimilitudinous mileau! Haven't seen descriptions so detailed and comprehensive for years!

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

The NPC posted:

(Note: not familiar with 4e Revenants)

All you really need to know is they're a proper distinct race instead of a subrace, and whatever race they were before being reborn only affects feat selection and glimpses of forgotten memories. They don't even look like what they used to be, instead they look like pale-skinned, strange-featured goth humans. So it's more of a thing you're supposed to be for a whole campaign instead of a temporary revenge ghost buff.

Time Cowboy
Nov 4, 2007

But Tarzan... The strangest thing has happened! I'm as bare... as the day I was born!

Lurdiak posted:

They don't even look like what they used to be, instead they look like pale-skinned, strange-featured goth humans.

Warlocks, then?

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Lurdiak posted:

How does this look for a custom race?

I'm still considering just how many uses of Dark Reaping they should get per day... and I have no idea what weapon proficiencies they should have, if any.
I'd let the non-constitution stat be "player's choice" (with a gentlerevenent's agreement that it match your pre-life race). I know 4e gave dex but eh.

I'd leave dark reaping as a racial power and have it be once per short/long rest, as is the fashion. Reaction to eat a dude's soul for +1d6 per attack is solid, favours fighters (yay) and aoe casters (boo).

I like the idea of it fuelling your pre-life power if applicable, e.g. a dragonborn can necro-breath once per rest as a reaction if someone dies. Could get messy with some races though.

Libertad!
Oct 30, 2013

You can have the last word, but I'll have the last laugh!
Hey folks. I recently made a product you might be interested in, particularly due to the fact that it's my answer to the one-trick-pony nature of 5th Edition martials.

Martial Disciple takes inspiration from Path of War and various media (like the Witcher's alchemy for one fighting school) to create a pseudo-Vancian system of special moves known as Techniques and Stances. The book has its own new class heavily keyed off of this, but has 5 archetypes for existing core classes as well. Unlike say the Battlemaster Fighter, the techniques are more versatile in what they can do, and damage values scale as you gain levels. Prowling Panther is a "sneaky bastard/trapmaker" fighting school, Imperial Griffon is a warlordesque "inspiring words and coordinated assaults," and Trance Dancer is a mystical style where you commune with spirits to grant you luck in battle.

I also got some input on writing it from a few Goons here, too.

Drive-Thru.

RPGNow.

Open Gaming Store.

I'll be happy to field questions here about it!

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Splicer posted:

I'd let the non-constitution stat be "player's choice" (with a gentlerevenent's agreement that it match your pre-life race). I know 4e gave dex but eh.

I'd leave dark reaping as a racial power and have it be once per short/long rest, as is the fashion. Reaction to eat a dude's soul for +1d6 per attack is solid, favours fighters (yay) and aoe casters (boo).

I like the idea of it fuelling your pre-life power if applicable, e.g. a dragonborn can necro-breath once per rest as a reaction if someone dies. Could get messy with some races though.

I like the idea of the floating stat. I guess I'm not really married to the idea of Dark Reaping as a spell, and it'd simplify things to make it a power. Although anyone who thinks it'd make a neat spell can use my dumb spell description I posted higher up. v:shobon:v

It would make sense for the number of uses per rest to increase at a certain level, right? That'd be 11th level in 4e but I'm guessing it's lower for 5e.

Here's an example of what the (loosely-converted)4e feats can do:

quote:

Dragonborn Soul
Prerequisites: Dragonborn, revenant
Benefit: You gain the dragon breath dragonborn racial power . Using your dragon breath expends one use of your Dark Reaping spell.

Drow Soul
Prerequisites: Drow, revenant
Benefit: You gain the use of Drow Magic. Using any Drow spell expends one use of your Dark Reaping spell.

Dwarf Soul
Prerequisites: Dwarf, revenant
Benefit: You gain the Dwarven Resilience dwarf racial feature (Player’s Handbook, page 35). Using Dwarven Resilience to resist a poison attack expends one use of your Dark Reaping spell.

That sort of thing's probably ok to give as a free feat, based on the race the players used to be?

Time Cowboy posted:

Warlocks, then?

Somehow even more 90s

E: Oh, and I looked into it, and the Unliving racial trait seems to be a double edge sword, where spells that only work either on the living or the undead work on you, for good or for ill. Basically if the spell needs either keyword, you count as the one it needs.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

If anyone wants a copy of this, email me at gradenko2000 [at] gmail

At 1300 GMT of Wednesday, Aug 23, I'll draw a name from all the interested parties, and I'll send them a copy through DTRPG.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Lurdiak posted:

I like the idea of the floating stat. I guess I'm not really married to the idea of Dark Reaping as a spell, and it'd simplify things to make it a power. Although anyone who thinks it'd make a neat spell can use my dumb spell description I posted higher up. v:shobon:v

Mechanically speaking in 5e power or spell are virtually indistinguishable, its just flavor and prereqs that seperate them. Theres already class and racial features in 5e that either do *thing* or replicate spells for x times per short/long (sometimes up to stat mod times).

However: remember that there arent many ways outside of AoO to deal damage outside of a turn for martials (mages have various shrouds, spikes and sustained AoEs) and the action economy and more importantly the variety of actions you can do is vastly different than in 4e.

It makes more sense to change it to suit 5e.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Congratulations to Harvey Mantaco for winning The Martial Disciple giveaway!

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(
I've never won anything before. Shaking irl.
Thanks dude, can't wait to dig into it!

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Libertad! posted:

Hey folks. I recently made a product you might be interested in, particularly due to the fact that it's my answer to the one-trick-pony nature of 5th Edition martials.

Martial Disciple takes inspiration from Path of War and various media (like the Witcher's alchemy for one fighting school) to create a pseudo-Vancian system of special moves known as Techniques and Stances. The book has its own new class heavily keyed off of this, but has 5 archetypes for existing core classes as well. Unlike say the Battlemaster Fighter, the techniques are more versatile in what they can do, and damage values scale as you gain levels. Prowling Panther is a "sneaky bastard/trapmaker" fighting school, Imperial Griffon is a warlordesque "inspiring words and coordinated assaults," and Trance Dancer is a mystical style where you commune with spirits to grant you luck in battle.

I also got some input on writing it from a few Goons here, too.

Drive-Thru.

RPGNow.

Open Gaming Store.

I'll be happy to field questions here about it!

I'm in a campaign where I've made a fighter and the DM is pretty permissive when it comes to homebrew material from established sites like Drive-Thru RPG, so I'm quite interested in this. With that said, given that I've already made the fighter, the custom class is already out for me, and obviously I can't really change my ability scores much, so I'm curious how the archetype design is before I necessarily commit to dropping the money on it right away--does it depend on ability scores, or some other factor? I'd love to pitch the idea to this DM, but I doubt I'd be given permission to redesign my character around it (we're level 2 currently, will probably get to level 3 at our next session next Saturday, so there's time to select an archetype).

So my main question I guess is--are non-STR/CON ability scores much of a factor in how the abilities work?

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Libertad! posted:

My first impression: this is pretty rough. I left some reasons why on the DriveThruRPG discussion. The wording suggests shaky rules knowledge and I flat-out can't find one of the referenced tables. I'm not sure the archetypes actually work at all using this PDF.

Libertad!
Oct 30, 2013

@Magil Zeal: Thank you for your reply and pointing these things out. We're on it and looking over things so that we can fix as much as we can to make a revised and therefore improved product. In the meantime, here's the table for the core class archetypes:

quote:

So my main question I guess is--are non-STR/CON ability scores much of a factor in how the abilities work?

Yes, Dex is used in case you're using a ranged attack or finesse weapon. Also one's martial ability (Int, Wis, or Cha) helps determine the Save DC for the effects of techniques.

Libertad! fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Aug 23, 2017

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

Libertad! posted:

I read the sample and I'm not paying 8 dollars to review the rest of this junk.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(
The formatting is pretty bad. Isn't there some general 5e templates out there for this stuff?
I'm just starting to read it but it's pretty ugly to look at.

Gerdalti
May 24, 2003

SPOON!

Harvey Mantaco posted:

The formatting is pretty bad. Isn't there some general 5e templates out there for this stuff?
I'm just starting to read it but it's pretty ugly to look at.

To expand on this, dmsguild (drivethrurpg) had templates you can use for this sort of thing directly from wizards.

shades of eternity
Nov 9, 2013

Where kitties raise dragons in the world's largest mall.
not sure where to post this, but will post it here because somewhat related.

Breadth of Popsanity: A Deepspawn Ecosystem
http://breadthofpopsanity.blogspot.ca/2017/08/a-deepspawn-ecosystem.html

Something I wrote a while back and finally posted on my blog. Its about an aberration ecosystem. :)

Libertad!
Oct 30, 2013

Gerdalti posted:

To expand on this, dmsguild (drivethrurpg) had templates you can use for this sort of thing directly from wizards.

To my knowledge, DM's Guild material requires more restrictions in that you have to give up more of your rights on what you worked on. Which is why I don't use said templates for my work.

But if I am wrong on that account, I very well may use those in the future then.

Libertad! fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Aug 24, 2017

Gerdalti
May 24, 2003

SPOON!

Libertad! posted:

To my knowledge, DM's Guild material requires more restrictions in that you have to give up more of your rights on what you worked on. Which is why I don't use said templates for my work.

But if I am wrong on that account, I very well may use those in the future then.

You could be right, I am not a content creator, so I've never looked

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

Is there a point to factions like the Harpers that isn't giving someone a secret Masonic handshake and reaching trust faster without persuading them first?

Reclaimer
Sep 3, 2011

Pierced through the heart
but never killed

Krinkle posted:

Is there a point to factions like the Harpers that isn't giving someone a secret Masonic handshake and reaching trust faster without persuading them first?

They provide little sidequests and roleplaying opportunities for otherwise non-social characters.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Plus the fact your part of a faction means that if you go to a town that has any representatives of one you can generally get some small aid.

Darwinism
Jan 6, 2008

You can also get magic items, but the pool isn't that big or interesting. Mostly potions and +1 gear that is pretty overcosted, IIRC.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

A Paladin has 18 charisma and is standing next to a friend and they both get fireballed. The paladin's faith protects his friend and his friend's dex saving throw gets a +4 bonus to it. Why does the Paladin get that, also, though? It seems kind of masturbatory for a guy to say lord protect these weak and fragile creatures and me too sir me most of all. I might not even be standing next to anyone and I still get the bonus?

What about death saving throws? It just says any saving throw. If I'm standing next to someone and saying "come on buddy fight this, you can do it" his death saving throws get +4 to them? If I could somehow do death saving throws while conscious I would get +4 to them but if i'm unconscious I would not? Isn't that when I would need my god's favor the most? God loses the signal? You're my chosen special boy but if you get conked on the head get hosed you're on your own?

The mechanics of this are giving me some serious theological implications to ponder

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panderfringe
Sep 12, 2011

yospos

Krinkle posted:

What about death saving throws?

You need to be conscious.