Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I'm going through the game for the first time, and focusing almost entirely on "human" abilities - I only have the first mimic ability otherwise. Am I hurting myself in any real way by waiting til my second playthrough for more exotic abilities? Loving the game so far, it's amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Some exo abilities make the game a lot easier but it's not like Dishonored where the game is drastically different without them

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Mr E posted:

I'm going through the game for the first time, and focusing almost entirely on "human" abilities - I only have the first mimic ability otherwise. Am I hurting myself in any real way by waiting til my second playthrough for more exotic abilities? Loving the game so far, it's amazing.
Get the slow time thing so you don't waste your psi.

lambskin
Dec 27, 2009

I THINK I AM THE PINNACLE OF HUMOR. WAIT HANG ON I HAVE TO GO POUR MILK INTO MY GAPING ASSHOLE!

Mr E posted:

I quite enjoyed indulging in both human and alien abilities my first time through but this game is highly replayable so no worries. Just try an alien only or a hybrid run next time.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
You arent doing a purist run so theres no harm (read: change in any way the outcome) in taking at least one and maybe two more. Or just upgrading mimic to be better I guess. If you want easy mode I reccomend psychoshock - level one basically gives you infinite instant effect power nullifying grenades and thats great. The levitate ability can also be fun esp if you combine it with gloo. Most of them are just better armor or AoE damage hoses though.

Just upgrading the mimic line is fun too. Level three lets you fly, literally fly, in any area with an operator, and whats not to love about that? That line also has pretty drat good health regen perks too.

I forget if the impact cut off is after two or three. If you care about that. Save, go to three, and then find and ask a turret to see if it thinks you are too alien yet. If it does, reload! (If you care)

If you care about killing effectively you should defeinitely be maxxing out and using combat focus if you dont otherwise use the psi. Keep stacking those damage modifiers. Remember to use it often, even and especially when sneak attacking!

As for what you SHOULD do... just do whatever feels right! Everything has its place. If mimic is all you want its perfectly fine to just grab that, and if you are swimming in neuromods later in the game and want to try out some new superpowers go ahead and do it!

Ithle01
May 28, 2013
I've got a friend who just got this last week and he was also worried about what happens when you install typhon neuromods. It's really not a big deal at all, just remember that all those warnings you're getting are from boring old January and not your cool brother Alex. Listen to Alex on this one it makes the game a lot more fun. However, besides psychoshock, the human powers are probably better for straight up combat. If you want to kill stuff really well upgrading security weapon damage and combat focus is the way to go. Psychoshock is good not because it kills stuff very well, but because it completely shuts down certain enemies completely and then lets you just murder them with no threat.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Dominoes posted:

Get the slow time thing so you don't waste your psi.

Combat Focus is the only human psychic ability (in that it uses psi points) but at full upgrade it basically turns you into Doomguy.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Ithle01 posted:

However, besides psychoshock, the human powers are probably better for straight up combat.

Eeeeeh. Completely disagree there. Typhon powers are really good defensively (you can use them while mimicked and never get attacked, your health regens if you do, you take less damage from attacks), let you completely control the terms of engagement (make minions, mind control enemies, shut down enemy powers, stun enemies in an AoE, levitate) so that the enemies never get a chance to act, and can deal out massive amounts of damage in short amounts of time (psychoshock, burn, lightning, and kinetic blast can all be used in rapid succession). The only advantage human combat has is a lack of cooldown. Which is significant, but not the be-all end-all.

The only way in which Typhon powers aren't straight up superior is that they only really start to bloom later on and you really need psychic water and to manage your psi points.

Speaking of which when I mentioned "if you only take one, take psychoshock" but mind control is absolutely amazing too. Instantly safely disable mind controlled dudes, and make an enemy completely harmless while you kill them, or even fight their friends if they have friends around.

Ithle01
May 28, 2013

GlyphGryph posted:

Eeeeeh. Completely disagree there. Typhon powers are really good defensively (you can use them while mimicked and never get attacked, your health regens if you do, you take less damage from attacks), let you completely control the terms of engagement (make minions, mind control enemies, shut down enemy powers, stun enemies in an AoE, levitate) so that the enemies never get a chance to act, and can deal out massive amounts of damage in short amounts of time (psychoshock, burn, lightning, and kinetic blast can all be used in rapid succession). The only advantage human combat has is a lack of cooldown. Which is significant, but not the be-all end-all.

The only way in which Typhon powers aren't straight up superior is that they only really start to bloom later on and you really need psychic water and to manage your psi points.

Speaking of which when I mentioned "if you only take one, take psychoshock" but mind control is absolutely amazing too. Instantly safely disable mind controlled dudes, and make an enemy completely harmless while you kill them, or even fight their friends if they have friends around.

Yeah typhon powers are the sideways instead of direct form of fighting. There are times when even mind control isn't a good solution, but when it works it works wonders. Same for static burst and levitation and all that. With human powers though you just dump about 21 neuromods into security weapons, combat focus, and weapon upgrades and that's basically it. You're done from then on out because if you encounter a problem the solution is either shotgun to the back of the head or stun it then lots of bullets and that's about it.

kxZyle
Nov 7, 2012

Pillbug
Just beat the game 28 hours in. Jesus, what an experience. Now to watch the video that finally made me buy the game in the first place.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KS0NtNxlX-s

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I beat the game tonight, and it was incredible. Definitely System Shock 3. I went almost entirely Human and had a great time, and the ending sure was a thing. I kind of suspected a simulation type thing since I tried out the escape pod ending earlier, and the last scene that happens when you get knocked out after entering both keys kinda solidified that. I saved everyone I could and escaped on the shuttle with the survivors, and took Alex's hand at the end. I'm glad the next Dishonored thing comes out pretty soon too.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
So I got this now that it's half off, and with the game starting to show off more than the two very first enemies it's starting to add up with the frustrating bits.

"Well, at least I fixed that turret I had to unlock a closet to get access to earlier-it's broken for no reason." And I look up that turrets just break themselves when you leave their chunk of map is working as intended.

"Well, TWO of these guys kicked my rear end, and only one of them is perpetually on fire. Reload and actually use some of my recycling grenades?-what the gently caress my grenades are freezing mid air as soon as they leave my hand and blowing up in my face." But some quick google can't locate this particular thing that seems to be a bug.

Drop down to easy, see how that shakes out and I still use up all 47 of my 9mm bullets, between one of these guys just flexing his alien muscles out of the goo gun as soon as I freeze him and pull my wrench intending to save ammo.

I feel like I'm missing something. System Shock 2 may have freaked me out a lot more way back when, but it also didn't bust my balls this much either. What the heck am I doing wrong, so as to avoid this "Didn't you know, just sneak past the two monsters that are in narrow hallways! Also, sneak past the upgraded mimics spawncamping your apartment which now has a broken turret outside of it. PS, one of them just ran off into your apartment." sort of vibe I'm starting to get.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 10:48 on Aug 23, 2017

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

Section Z posted:

Drop down to easy, see how that shakes out and I still use up all 47 of my 9mm bullets, between one of these guys just flexing his alien muscles out of the goo gun as soon as I freeze him and pull my wrench intending to save ammo.

I feel like I'm missing something. System Shock 2 may have freaked me out a lot more way back when, but it also didn't bust my balls this much either. What the heck am I doing wrong, so as to avoid this "Didn't you know, just sneak past the two monsters that are in narrow hallways! Also, sneak past the upgraded mimics spawncamping your apartment which now has a broken turret outside of it. PS, one of them just ran off into your apartment." sort of vibe I'm starting to get.
So what did you spend your neuromods on?
Do alien magic, or human magic of combat focus and upgrade your weapons, either way makes the game almost trivially easy.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Pyromancer posted:

So what did you spend your neuromods on?
Do alien magic, or human magic of combat focus and upgrade your weapons, either way makes the game almost trivially easy.

I'm super early game, just did my first space walk and returned to my apartment. So psychic space magic isn't handy yet. I've got some rank 1 upgrade so far on what few weapons I got, though admittedly not yet invested in combat stuff because up to now smart play was working just fine. So things have gone from "Things are great it you play smart! Even against a room full of mimics plus a phantom" to, well, this. Along with the rude surprises of expecting stuff I had invested in to fix deciding to commit suicide between loading screens.

Now I walk into the Trauma center, two phantoms are rubbing shoulders with eachother, and one of them is just immediately breaking out of gloo gun freeze half the time because sure make them also on fire.

Given my example circumstances (and turrets breaking themselves because gently caress your skill and spare parts investment), I don't think spending what Mods I do have on me on rank 1 firearms would make much of a difference with my current options.

As well, I have just enough to afford rank 1 sneak+rank 1 sneak attack, but given the spike of health, ignoring goo gun follow ups, and them using the buddy system sneak shooting with my pistol as an opener would just injure one, and piss off another. (And recent experiments with trying to shoot one from down the hall and lead them out to me along still resulted in them pairing up first.)

I expect this may be a case of "It's super easy! Once you are a fully armed superhuman that is." coming into play, and I've got a hump to overcome of the "Find your first shotgun. Profit." variety, more than my build variety. At least I got a cheevo for my attempts to throw recycler grenades resulting in them simply freezing in mid air immediately after releasing the trigger because ???

EDIT: Okay, test case. Still adjusted to easy mode, buy rank 1 Marksman (can't afford both). Sneak up with the stun gun, unload 20ish bullets into the fucker's face, and chase after him to finish the job with one last bullet. (at least the one that wasn't on fire while sporting more health than previous, went down with little fuss).

Though murdering these guys clean regardless of the means was very cathartic. Still get the feeling my bigger concern is "Find a shotgun" than whether or not I have rank 1 Marksman or not.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 11:30 on Aug 23, 2017

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee
I've got no drat clue what's going on with your recycler grenades unless the game somehow thinks you're sticking them to a wall or something stupid like that.

As to the Trauma Center? It's optional AND still a bitch to do. If you pre-order or figure out the low-tech way into the security station by looking up, then you can get a shotgun pretty early, which is pretty drat effective if you can pull off a surprise attack against one without engaging the other - I recommend luring the blue guy away if you can safely do so. Since their attack method is so different it's also just easier that way.

The Trauma Center has three or so particularly good things, but I'll admit to just saying screw it once...

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
You also don't need to go into the trauma center yet. But try using the environment. The red gas tanks explode for really good damage and putting two of them in the path of a phantom and then shooting it killed it in one go for me on the hardest difficulty. If you only use one, you'll still almost completely kill it and maybe set it on fire. Alternatively, go look for the stun gun back in the area you started in, that thing is a godsend.

But trauma center is hard, yeah, and was the area I struggled with the most in my playthrough too. There's nothing else quite that rough.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Well that is certainly encouraging that I'm following my common pattern of "Stumbling rear end backwards into stubborn my way through the optional hard stuff". I'll chalk up the bizarre grenades throws to some side effect of the fire type guy's attacks. As I've been able to toss them at harmless scenery to get out of my way just fine previously.

Given the fact I've had so many things spike at once, I just sort of assumed "Welp. This is the game now" given upgraded purple glowy mimics and phantoms were already between me and my apartment. With the added punch to the dick that all the turrets I had fixed were now broken again. "Okay. Fine. There I fixed it again and placed it in front of my apartment door. suck it better mimics!-Oh you'll just body check it on your way into my apartment while also breaking it immediately. okay then."

I expect I'll forget my stun gun exists in short order, but I did at least locate naturally blueprints for making my own weapon upgrade kits. But bumping up it's range to "kind of poo poo" from "Complete poo poo" was well worth it given how suddenly unreliable the goo gun has become when I want it most. "Hey, goo gun puts out fires. So clearly this will kick rear end-oh, nope. He gives no fucks okay then"

I am enjoying the style of the game, and while I've never been personally a fan of "It's 90% GOO/Tentacles!" type design I at least recognize it's way harder than it sounds to make them functional. Any game that gives you a literal Nerf gun as a weapon has it's heart in the right place :3:

Section Z fucked around with this message at 11:54 on Aug 23, 2017

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

As it isn't at all clear, for energy weapons, increasing the "shots between reloads" stat actually means "increase the gun's ammo efficiency dramatically" and should be, along with firepower, the first thing you upgrade.

It doesn't just mean you can stuff more batteries into it, it actually means each battery goes further. The game doesn't make this clear at all. I didn't bother with the stun gun for the longest time because four shots per reload was crap, but you can upgrade that to something like ten, it's absurd. It goes down to something like seven ammo per shot from 25.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 12:07 on Aug 23, 2017

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

OwlFancier posted:

As it isn't at all clear, for energy weapons, increasing the "shots between reloads" stat actually means "increase the gun's ammo efficiency dramatically" and should be, along with firepower, the first thing you upgrade.

It doesn't just mean you can stuff more batteries into it, it actually means each battery goes further. The game doesn't make this clear at all. I didn't bother with the stun gun for the longest time because four shots per reload was crap, but you can upgrade that to something like ten, it's absurd.

Thanks for the heads up there. It was clear ammo effiency would be a thing for the goo gun's "stops bsdguys faster" stat. But I figured the stun gun was pure ammo capacity like you said.

Speaking of stun guns? Now, you all saw it right? I was holding a nonlethal weapon. I didn't even get the chance to shoot. His head exploded all by itself.

Not the result I was expecting for that little detour.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Get a shotgun and get combat focus. Use the shotgun to one-shot mimics when they appear. Use combat focus and the stun gun to stun bigger typhon (such as the firey typhon you found) and then shotgun them to death.

Turrets aren't great, they deal decent damage and with careful positioning and upgrades can carry you through some areas, but they're not needed and are possibly more trouble than they're worth. They actually don't auto-break themselves when you leave areas, they only break when they're active in an area when you've been gone for long enough for a bunch of Typhon to spawn there. For instance if you just hop between Hardware Labs and the Lobby, any turrets you set up (in either place) will be fine, but if you go and finish Hardware Labs then new Typhon will spawn in some parts of the lobby, and your turrets can be broken by those typhon. By the same measure, if your turrets aren't in the spawn areas or are stowed then they'll survive just fine. A good example of this is that a big phantom will spawn in the Talos Lobby conference room when you return from the story missions in Hardware Labs, so if you place a turret in there then it will be broken when you return, but if you had placed that turret right down the hall by your office then it'd be fine.
tl;dr don't worry about turrets, if you want to worry about turrets then just stash them someplace if you're going to be gone awhile

The gloo gun is sometimes useful for freezing mimics so you can 2-shot them with the wrench but really it's a tool for interacting with the environment.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Section Z posted:

Thanks for the heads up there. It was clear ammo effiency would be a thing for the goo gun's "stops bsdguys faster" stat. But I figured the stun gun was pure ammo capacity like you said.

Speaking of stun guns? Now, you all saw it right? I was holding a nonlethal weapon. I didn't even get the chance to shoot. His head exploded all by itself.

Not the result I was expecting for that little detour.

The stungun will actually stop that but yeah, I didn't expect it either.

Oh also about the self destructing turrets, they generally won't actually break if you put them somewhere enemies don't spawn, like right outside the entrance to the area. Put turrets covering your entrances and move them if you need them, but make sure to put them back. I think the game breaks them when it wants to spawn enemies in the area and doesn't want to spawn them in line of sight of a turret. It's assumed the enemies broke the turret when they moved in.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 12:17 on Aug 23, 2017

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Yeah the turrets will be fine so long as they arent going to be destroyed by enemies where you drop them.

Also, you definitely seemt to be approaching things wrong combat wise. Getting,a shotgun and just powering through doom style is certainly an option but learning how you are supposed to do combat is probably a better one.

One: Combat is a puzzle. Like all the puzzles in this game there are multiple ways to solve it, but solving it like a traditional shooter is... unwise, especially at the beginning. Use your environment, keep your tactical options on hand, and get used to switching weapons mid combat to benefit from synergies. Both gloo and stun actually increase the damage you deal with other weapons, for example, and combining them with an explosive item and shooting THAT instead can be very effective. You can and should also be falling back to lure enemies into turrets or eplosive traps or knocking them off edges.

Two: The real goal of combat is to complete it with as few resources as possible by "solving" each encounter puzzle. Bullets are precious, and every one you fire has a cost. When doing combat right the enemies should never really get a chance to kill you, and especially early game this is important because they are better at combat than you. This is often easier said than done, of course, but avoiding them by taking other routes or just avoiding certain optional areas for now is also an option - although will want to remember to come back to get those precious resources. You may not realize it but you already essentially have access to almost the entire station.

Three: You are charging up the wrench before you swing it right? Costs no more stamina but does way more damage and is the way its intended to be used most of the time.

Fourth: when glooing phantoms make sure to do it from behind so they cant magic zap you which requires them to see you. Special phantoms should be ambushed and stunned with environmental support if possible.

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 13:23 on Aug 23, 2017

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

GlyphGryph posted:

Yeah the turrets will be fine so long as they arent going to be destroyed by enemies where you drop them.

Also, you definitely seemt to be approaching things wrong combat wise. Getting,a shotgun and just powering through doom style is certainly an option but learning how you are supposed to do combat is probably a better one.

One: Combat is a puzzle. Like all the puzzles in this game there are multiple ways to solve it, but solving it like a traditional shooter is... unwise, especially at the beginning. Use your environment, keep your tactical options on hand, and get used to switching weapons mid combat to benefit from synergies. Both gloo and stun actually increase the damage you deal with other weapons, for example, and combining them with an explosive item and shooting THAT instead can be very effective. You can and should also be falling back to lure enemies into turrets or eplosive traps or knocking them off edges.

Two: The real goal of combat is to complete it with as few resources as possible by "solving" each encounter puzzle. Bullets are precious, and every one you fire has a cost. When doing combat right the enemies should never really get a chance to kill you, and especially early game this is important because they are better at combat than you. This is often easier said than done, of course, but avoiding them by taking other routes or just avoiding certain optional areas for now is also an option - although will want to remember to come back to get those precious resources. You may not realize it but you already essentially have access to almost the entire station.

Three: You are charging up the wrench before you swing it right? Costs no more stamina but does way more damage and is the way its intended to be used most of the time.

Fourth: when glooing phantoms make sure to do it from behind so they cant magic zap you which requires them to see you. Special phantoms should be ambushed and stunned with environmental support if possible.
These all sound like things that were working just fine for me up until that room.

At which point trying to be "Clever", combined with the fact there were two phantoms (if only one on fire) were failing. And success was found in just saying gently caress it and indeed, rushing in (as fast as zero rank stealth can rush) to ram my stun gun up it's rear end and unload my handgun into it before it's buddy could arrive.

Ambushing special phantoms with the gloo gun? Aahahahahah hah. That's for when it's not a phantom that can flip a coin and decide "Actually, I'm just going to immediately escape before you even finish drawing your wrench". As my attempts to use that tried and true method were why I was failing. (Though against more standard phantom, I've preferred a charged wrench upside the head sending them to the pavement, THEN goo gunning them)

Did it's usual job against the less bullshit phantom though. As "Rushing in guns blazing like Doom" meant it didn't get the chance to tag team, and so I could dispatch at my leisure with your above advice being allowed to actually work, and keep me above 90 health and suit integrity in the process.

So in the end, I was doing something wrong. But the thing I was doing wrong was expecting "You're supposed to play SMART! Not just try to gun things down!" to function against a pyromaniac meatwall that doesn't expect you to unload a taser and then pistol it to death execution style. Because it was so ready to act all smug when it ignored your goo gun, no fair human. Didn't you know this wasn't Doom?

Though explosive canisters were also not particularly helpful against that guy, even though he loved stopping to stand next to one and let me explode it right next to him, the main result was alerting the second phantom early. They do gently caress up more standard phantoms something fierce when the explosion actually connects, at least.

(Also, I've had phantoms shoot me through locked barrier glass doors :v: clearly a fluke, but another case of "Expected gameplay" vs "My luck in practice" )

Section Z fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Aug 23, 2017

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Each enemy is a puzzle but the solution to elemental phantoms is, in fact, stunning them and piling on damage as quickly as possible esp. from stealth. Grabbing the shotgun first from downstairs definitely helps in that respect. Having throwing skill is another good alternatice since knocking them over also stops their high damage output. Drawing them into a turret trap also works sometimes, and of course other better solutions will open up as you progress.

There are other ways to deal with them but explosives and gloo dont really work against fire enemies.

I would still stay a standard shooter approach doesnt work. You cant get close normally because of their aura, you cant really gunfight them because of their aoe insta attack. You need to lock them down somehow.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

GlyphGryph posted:

Each enemy is a puzzle but the solution to elemental phantoms is, in fact, stunning them and piling on damage as quickly as possible esp. from stealth. Grabbing the shotgun first from downstairs definitely helps in that respect. Having throwing skill is another good alternatice since knocking them over also stops their high damage output. Drawing them into a turret trap also works sometimes, and of course other better solutions will open up as you progress.

There are other ways to deal with them but explosives and gloo dont really work against fire enemies.

I would still stay a standard shooter approach doesnt work. You cant get close normally because of their aura, you cant really gunfight them because of their aoe insta attack. You need to lock them down somehow.

I feel kind of "The reason it doesn't work is SCALING ENEMIES" disappointed with the goo gun not working. Given it's explicit utility in sealing up and putting out fires. I'm handed a sci-fi fire extinguisher crossed with a caulking gun. Which means your "Puts out fires" gun doesn't work on the fire enemy, because… Uh...

Given other posts about how that room in particular is a a notable spike compared to much of the game, I'll be glad to get back to the previous impression the game was giving me. With the "Combat puzzles" being more common sense and naturally flowing like they had been, instead of feeling like "Text prompt Space Quest 2 and 3" variety puzzles.

Fire rear end in a top hat is also basically the first time I went in guns blazing rather than being slower to act than frozen molasses. For what little that's worth.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Aug 23, 2017

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If you have two phantoms together there isn't really an elegant way to beat them short of area effect weapons. The combat really does boil down to hitting enemies with whatever thing stuns them and then beating them to death with the wrench, or using guns if you need to kill them a bit faster but basically you disable their ability to fight back and then kill them without using resources wherever possible. Some enemies require ranged weapons because they won't let you get close enough to club them and sometimes you have too many enemies together to kill them with the wrench, so that's what your consumable resources are for.

It sounds like the best solution to your problem would be a recycler grenade but yours bugged out. Other option is nullwave grenade but you might not have any of those yet. You can find them early on but they're rare.

I started on nightmare and about halfway through the game enemies stopped being threatening and at this point I'm just trying to find as much stuff to break down for minerals as possible so I can buy more neuromods. I think I have something like sixty medkits and eighty psi hypos. So the combat does get miles easier once you get more gear.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Aug 23, 2017

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

Combat from about a quarter into the game stops being life or death and starts being about minimizing resource use. Gloo isn't good because it's super effective, it's good because it kinda works and more importantly is very cheap. Ironically, your health is probably the least valuable resource as long as you don't die, since odds are good that you're less than fifty feet from a closet where you can hunker down and eat 6000 calories worth of space pudding or a water fountain you can wrap your mouth around for a few minutes.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
Zed, are you sure video games are the right hobby for you? Every thread I see you in is 10,000 words of frustration.

Bio-Hazard
Mar 8, 2004
I HATE POLITICS IN SOCCER AS MUCH AS I LOVE RACISM IN SOCCER
One of my favorite things since completing the game is to watch Twitch streamers cry tears or rage quit because they think this game is a shooter, and they just end up getting crushed.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

Yeah I mean you can play like it's DOOM for maybe two fights and then be tapped out of resources and helpless for the next half hour.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

I played Prey on Easy and don't regret it at all. There aren't even any achievements. If you are finding the combat end of things is hurting your experience, switch to Easy.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Combat isn't really much harder on Nightmare than it is on easy. Enemies do, like... twice as much damage, and you do 20% less to them? And that's basically it.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Well that ending... happened...

StringOfLetters
Apr 2, 2007
What?
The Gloo gun is mostly useful for environmental stuff, and also handy for gumming Mimics, and for spraying invisible stuff, and also it can pop a cystoid if nothing else is handy. But, it doesn't stop your enemies' deadly extra-dimensional psychic powers at all, so it's not very good against phantoms, and it's even less good against the bigger stuff.

Also, the Typhon don't attack you like they're guys with guns. When a phantom starts glowing and gets ready to fire its psychic whatever attack, the best thing to do is turn sideways and sprint to dodge it. You're not going to slightly side-step or take cover from very much at all. Turn and sprint and leap if you've got the jetpack unit. If you're feeling overwhelmed, just turn and run the hell away. Phantoms will follow you, but you'll give yourself some space and breathing room, and maybe find a nice ambush corner to wait behind, with a charged stun gun or whatever.

Morgan Yu is really mobile, especially if xhe gets those Move Faster neuromod upgrades, and fight encounters are really dang exciting when you run and jump around exploding poo poo. But xhe's not Doom Guy, xhe can't just strafe at full running speed. You've got to actually turn your camera, and then re-orient back towards the Typhon after you've dodged something. If you're paying attention to what the Typhon are doing, and those warning signals that show up before a psycho-electric blast, they do telegraph their stuff pretty clearly.

StringOfLetters fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Aug 23, 2017

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I bought this because of the sale and I'm having lots of fun with it. I haven't gotten too far into the alien mods. I mostly just took three levels of psychoshock to blow up cystoid nests without dealing with cystoids and do lots of damage to phantoms right out the gate. i'm mostly just annoyed that I clear a whole area out and then come back later to a bunch of new poo poo showing up. I feel like I might be screwing myself over with some middle of the road save the humans but take a few alien mods approach.

One question I have is: Why were the typhon friendly to me in cargo bay B? In the lead up to going in there, I would look through the window and they all had teal health bars, not red. Was that just to keep them from finding some way in before having to fight them?

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Yeah they aren't supposed to attack you there since they can't get to you, I think the friendly-looking health bars are just a quirk of their AI being set to stop them from trying to attack you until they manage to havok through a wall

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Dang, I was hoping I could go so far into the typhon mods that they would all love me.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Cojawfee posted:

Dang, I was hoping I could go so far into the typhon mods that they would all love me.

That would be great.

I wonder if this game will get dlc.

kxZyle
Nov 7, 2012

Pillbug
Yeah.

quote:

As to whether Arkane Studios plans to extend the experience with DLC, Colantonio said, “Yes, absolutely. We don’t have any plans to announce yet, but we are working on a variety of things—including updates—to keep the game going.”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Not that there are actually two different abilities that result in friendly typhon! Mind Control and making your own from corpses

As for aliens coming back, remember - aliens are your main source of the xenomaterials you need to craft more eyeball juice!