Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Well, Bob-ombs are originally from the belatedly renamed Super Mario USA. They make the most sense as aliens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Calli's day is coming. She's come close twice, she'll get over the hump.

Mushrooms are pretty useless in Mystery Land. The only time it makes sense to buy one is if you're in the corner of the board with Toad and you want to be 100% sure that you'll get it. Usually that means you're with at least one other player jockeying for the star.

Skeleton Keys are completely optional in MP2- none of the paths that you open with it will ever have a Star, although the next board has something that's worth the trouble of going out of the way to get behind the door. I don't know much about MP3, but one of the things I do know is that Stars will sometimes pop up behind locked doors. That's not the only questionable gameplay decision made in that installation, either.

MR. J
Nov 22, 2011

Chuck and Fuck
Yeah but you can hold three items in that anyway so it's not too debilitating to just hang on to a key.

Warmal
Aug 12, 2011

While that's true, unless you're winning the items you'll need a surplus of coins to really get a good item set.

MR. J
Nov 22, 2011

Chuck and Fuck
Most items got cheaper in MP3 so it evens out.

Warmal
Aug 12, 2011

Which does make them more easily accessible. But you're still taking coins away from being able to pay for a star or boo. The boo especially can be a game changer.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
I've never seen a Mario Party round where people were actively hurting for Coins to the point buying items was a real issue, outside of maybe one player getting absolutely shafted for a few turns by Boo's and minigames. Most of the time you're sitting on 40-100 Coins just trying to get to the Star.

Warmal
Aug 12, 2011

Maybe that's just my poor self trying to horde and not spend on things I don't need.

Warmal
Aug 12, 2011

Well. Here it is. Everyone was waiting (?) for it. It's time for the Mini-Game Coaster. And as I said, there was no voting for this episode. Why that is should become apparent very quickly. Either way, I hope you enjoy watching us in this.

Mini-Game Coaster

Next time things get a little scary as we do another board that we actually really enjoy.

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.
Since we're sort of retreading older ground here, have a tune from last game. (Also so I don't run out of music to link. :v:) Yoshi's Tropical Island manages to make a good base for Take On Me.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Good lord. Slot cars this early? It's like the game hates you, personally.

Warmal
Aug 12, 2011

It really really does. Like. It couldn't have given us a worse mini-game if it tried. We are zero wins on that across the board. At least on other ones we would have had a chance. But nope. Nipped us right in the bud.

Yapping Eevee posted:

Since we're sort of retreading older ground here, have a tune from last game. (Also so I don't run out of music to link. :v:) Yoshi's Tropical Island manages to make a good base for Take On Me.

These are good wholesome posts that give me some really nice listening music.

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.

Warmal posted:

It really really does. Like. It couldn't have given us a worse mini-game if it tried. We are zero wins on that across the board. At least on other ones we would have had a chance. But nope. Nipped us right in the bud.

These are good wholesome posts that give me some really nice listening music.
It was basically the perfect roadblock, and just a couple of minigames in. Like Glazius said, it's almost like it was put there out of spite.

And I'm glad this bit is entertaining at least one person.

Warmal
Aug 12, 2011

It definitely doesn't feel like the mini-games are laid out in terms of difficulty like the Mini-game Island was which is quite the shame. I'd have liked to get farther.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

The only mandatory course on Minigame Coaster is Normal, since beating that gives you the Dungeon Dash minigame. Seems like you got over the early roadblock long ago.

World 7 is Hard course only and that's even worse. I never bothered to finish it every time I rented MP2. Coaster manages to be worse than Island in many ways.

Warmal
Aug 12, 2011

I don't remember ever doing the Mini-Game Coaster though. So I'm thinking it wasn't me who had made it to that score before.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

get that OUT of my face posted:

The only mandatory course on Minigame Coaster is Normal, since beating that gives you the Dungeon Dash minigame. Seems like you got over the early roadblock long ago.

World 7 is Hard course only and that's even worse. I never bothered to finish it every time I rented MP2. Coaster manages to be worse than Island in many ways.

Both Normal and Hard are mandatory I believe so you can get the Item and Battle Minigames to play whenever you want and in doing so get the Piranha Plant to give you Rainbow Run, the final minigame (it's 1v. 3). If that sounds like too much effort to you, it is: Rainbow Run is essentially the Mario Party 2 version of Tightrope Treachery flavored in a sky theme instead of a beach/sea/pirate theme. (+ the super-secret complex 1-Player minigame you could try to set records on that the early Mario Parties loved to have as a kind of ultimate unlockable for achieving stuff.)

Anyways, I loved Minigame Island, not due to how they set it up as kinda like a standard 2D Mario overworld (but with minigames instead of levels), but they even themed the minigames according to the locations they were found in.

As for why I know that, I cleared the Easy, Normal, and Hard courses on the Minigame Coaster and subsequently got every Minigame to play and train at whenever I wanted to... + being able to listen to the Minigame Coaster Music whenever I wanted to because I thought (and still think) that the Coaster overworld music was rad, especially the latter ones.

Warmal
Aug 12, 2011

I do really like the single player mini game adventures. I kind of wish this game did what the first game did with putting the games in order of difficulty. I'm not really sure why they would put slot car dirby so soon when I think it was much later in the island one.

MR. J
Nov 22, 2011

Chuck and Fuck
It was the very last thing on MP1's island. I think you raced against three Toads.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

MR. J posted:

It was the very last thing on MP1's island. I think you raced against three Toads.
No, you play Slot Car Derby in World 9 first. I think it's 9-2 and it's always the oval track. The final challenge is racing Toad and two other characters on the curved track.

Warmal
Aug 12, 2011

It feels like forever since there was an update for some reason. But is everyone ready to go on a scary adventure? This might be my favourite board of the game thus far. I really like the day and night gimmick, and how there are different things available at different times. It works really well here and makes it a lot of fun. We are still having fun. Also, one more genuine shout out to Circlmastr for helping me with the video corruption. This time we didn't lose any footage. But I would have had to rerecord the episode if he didn't help me. And we really didn't want to do that.

Horror Land - Part 1

This also means that it is time for voting! It's been a little while since we've done that at least. With only 2 boards left there is still opportunity for a lot of tied first places or a sudden pull ahead. Make sure to get in who you think wins this one.

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.
Hmm... Yeah, gonna go with Mario this time.

Today's high quality rip may be recognizable if you like indie platformers. "Both Eyes Open" from Shovel Knight: Specter of Torment. With a bit of Kass' Theme from LoZ:BotW at the end.

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!
I vote for Calli

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Peach's Got it!

Also appreciated the Star vs references. Good show. (Betcha can't have guessed I'd like it)

Senerio fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Aug 23, 2017

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

Kilza posted:

Based off the first half of the first board, this is going to be a bad idea but I'm going for it.

I'm just going to vote for Michael to win every single board of Mario Party 2. Every. Single. One.

Michael, Michael, he's our man! If he can't do it, no one can!

MR. J
Nov 22, 2011

Chuck and Fuck
Calli's gonna take it because she's rich as hell and boos are all over the board. Hidden blocks be damned.

Also, I completely forgot what that house in the top left does.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.
Horror Land is an amazing board. I love it due to it's aesthetics, it's gimmick, and what you can do on it.

(Also, it means I can play as Luigi as a Wizard which is all kinds of great!)

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
I left a couple episodes of this LP go unwatched so I'd have a backlog for recovering my wisdom tooth extraction. Thanks for making quality content for those addled on pain meds!

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

This is it folks, this is the one where Calli gets back on top.

Horror Land is the best board in MP2 by far. There's so much more going on here than in the other boards we've seen so far.

Edit: Michael please post Baby Mode Teddy

get that OUT of my face fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Aug 24, 2017

Callifornia2
Oct 16, 2014

get that OUT of my face posted:

This is it folks, this is the one where Calli gets back on top.

Horror Land is the best board in MP2 by far. There's so much more going on here than in the other boards we've seen so far.

Edit: Michael please post Baby Mode Teddy

Baby Mode is on the way

Warmal
Aug 12, 2011

Here is baby mode.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
I'm normally a cat person...but Teddy is pretty great :)

Edvarius
Aug 23, 2013
Calli might be behind on stars now, but between the Happening Star and the Coin Star I think she's got it.

Also, why wizards? I mean, I know witches are warlocks are supposed to be spoopy, but not wizards. Why not have them all dressed in monster costumes? Or at least give everybody little capes and fangs.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Warmal posted:

Here is baby mode.

Yessss that's the good poo poo right there.

Edit: I'm all for moving the episode schedule to two days a week. You've got a lot of Mario Party to play yet, and if it's possible to speed it up then I don't see the harm in that.

MR. J
Nov 22, 2011

Chuck and Fuck

Edvarius posted:

Also, why wizards?

Because Bowser is the warlock and warlocks don't fight other warlocks.

nonrev
Jul 15, 2012

Think it's Peach for the win

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Peach will win by getting all 3 bonus stars

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Peach because of bonus star shenanigans.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
...I busted out laughing the second goddamn time Mario found a secret star.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warmal
Aug 12, 2011

We couldn't believe it. It's like it doesn't matter what difficulty they are on. They will always cheat.

• Locked thread