Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

What was the word on gamescon crates after the tournament is over? Usable or dead?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crell
Nov 4, 2008

Hot Leggy Blonde, you
got it goin' on.
It's cool that they are using players streams (I think?) but they need to put some names on the screen because how the gently caress am I supposed to know who anyone is?

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

Fart Car '97 posted:

What was the word on gamescon crates after the tournament is over? Usable or dead?

any crates you have will almost certainly still be usable.

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

any crates you have might be usable

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

any crates you have could be usable

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
i mean, you'll definitely be able to use keys to open the crates. the only issue is if they will continue to sell keys after the box is no longer for sale or if the keys will entirely be player-bought stock.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

They've said they plan to do more paid crate batches so there's no reason for them to stop selling keys.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

The keys are labeled Gamescom Invitational, specifically, so that's a wrinkle. And yeah, I can't imagine them saying no to more money either.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Nothing about a game that relies on such random mechanics will ever be an esport, I have no idea why they thought it would

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
the keys are crate-specific. obviously they'll still sells 'keys', but who knows if they'll continue selling 'gamescom invitational keys' once the crate it opens isn't up for sale any more

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Rex-Goliath posted:

I've been in final circles that closed in Pochinki which turned into WWII I can't even imagine how insane it will be when it's buildings that are taller than 3 stories

Every final match that ends in a city inevitably ends up recreating the best/worst parts of the Siege of Stalingrad, and I cannot wait for a map that's basically all city so we can get poo poo like that every game.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

Crell posted:

It's cool that they are using players streams (I think?) but they need to put some names on the screen because how the gently caress am I supposed to know who anyone is?

The camera guy is complete shite and is killing what could be a fun stream to watch.

Fart Car '97 posted:

Nothing about a game that relies on such random mechanics will ever be an esport, I have no idea why they thought it would

What do you mean by random mechanics? If you mean the loot RNG it's kind of moot. Yes it's randomized but they're everywhere and you have all the guns you need in seconds.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

the camera man needs to be fired

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
'what random mechanics'? do you even play this game?

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

'what random mechanics'? do you even play this game?

You're just a cranky gus aren't you? Maybe step outside and enjoy life for a while.

First I didn't say 'what random mechanics' as if I'm denying there's anything random about the game. Second, the phrase random mechanics is quite vague so rather than assume I know exactly what he's saying and calling him stupid like you might do I figured I would ask what he meant. Is it the loot RNG? Is it the planes path? Is it vehicle placement? All of it together? Is he trying to make a comment on hitboxes or other issues with the game? Since most people talk about loot I took an educated guess and commented on that.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum
OO There's an extreme fight over there! Look at these two players, master of their craft, duking it out on the razor's edge! Not sure why we're watching this guy in a warehouse, can we get a camera on those two? Oh they died.
[repeat x6]

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

ChesterJT posted:

You're just a cranky gus aren't you? Maybe step outside and enjoy life for a while.

First I didn't say 'what random mechanics' as if I'm denying there's anything random about the game. Second, the phrase random mechanics is quite vague so rather than assume I know exactly what he's saying and calling him stupid like you might do I figured I would ask what he meant. Is it the loot RNG? Is it the planes path? Is it vehicle placement? Is he trying to make a comment on hitboxes or other issues with the game? All of it together?

i mean, it's all of those things in combination. from drop to game end the entire point of the game is mitigating various circumstances entirely beyond your control.

it's not unenjoyable and it's not even a terrible spectator sport, but it is nothing at all like well-balanced.

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

Been surveying diversity amongst the players when they pan over the floor. seen two women, no black people yet

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

OMFG.. You just had your absolutely insane high RUINED by a loving trainwreck of tedious 2nd hand translated questions. Perfect preparation for your next match.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
i love using my paysafe card to buy pizza bagels because mom wouldn't let me open a bank account

LampkinsMateSteve
Jan 1, 2005

I've really fucked it. Have I fucked it?

Crell posted:

In small letters at the bottom of every game is the player name (not just in the tourney).

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

i mean, you'll definitely be able to use keys to open the crates. the only issue is if they will continue to sell keys after the box is no longer for sale or if the keys will entirely be player-bought stock.

They have specifically said they will continue to sell keys for the crates.

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX
lmao at the esports grips

newsflash nerds, the only thing an esport needs to be successful is a big playerbase, period. people watched loving wow pvp when it wasn't a dead game yet.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
that's an awful example. like 30k people watched the most important arena matches in the world and wow has like 9 million players

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

hahaha this korean player, evermore, has gone to the lobby island again but this time its already clearly a military island finish... what a player

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

ChesterJT posted:

What do you mean by random mechanics? If you mean the loot RNG it's kind of moot. Yes it's randomized but they're everywhere and you have all the guns you need in seconds.

RNG loot spawn, circles. E-sports succeed because people like supporting specific players. It's going to be hard to convince people to invest their time into watching the game when A) The core aspects of winning aren't really exciting and B) A ton of players are going to get knocked out randomly due to sheer dumb luck of bad loot or being forced into poo poo positioning because of bad luck with circles.

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

probably important to note that nobody will ever, ever, ever care about solo and if this esporst is destined to survive past this week it will be as squad teams only

Eleeleth
Jun 21, 2009

Damn, that is one suave eel.

Qmass posted:

hahaha this korean player, evermore, has gone to the lobby island again but this time its already clearly a military island finish... what a player

It's good. I'm legitimately rooting for this guy due to the cheekiness required to do this strat loving twice in three games.

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX
there's no way wow has 9 million players now lmao

the blizz wow tourney streams were pretty popular like 5 years ago, was top in twitch a few times

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
I don't get why people knock going into the top ten with an UMP. Unless your top ten is like in one of the first three circles you are not going to need that much range anyway. My one and only solo chicken dinner was with a silenced UMP. I didn't get an AR until top 3 and then I just used it to blow up a UAZ.

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX
the ump guy had an ak anyway, he just really likes the ump

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

the ump is incredible

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
Was that him sitting in his boat in the blue bandaging himself?

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Final circle in Pochinki, first gun I picked up in Rozhok was a silenced uzi. Used a buggy to storm the nearest house in the city and got 7 kills clearing houses with it, ended 5th :unsmigghh:

Silenced uzi best gun

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

Pigbuster posted:

Was that him sitting in his boat in the blue bandaging himself?
YES! He is still alive I think...

edit: yeah they just showed the map hes nearly in the circle on the east side of the military island. The obs not following them is criminal.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
The observer is so bad. :stare:

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED
bandaging on the 3rd tick gets you prettttty far in the gas.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Calibanibal posted:

the ump is incredible

For real though kit that poo poo out and get you some chicken. gently caress I've slapped a 4x on it before and it works pretty drat well.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Qmass posted:

YES! He is still alive I think...

edit: yeah they just showed the map hes nearly in the circle on the east side of the military island. The obs not following them is criminal.

He's in the circle!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

solo is my favorite way to play this game but i can't imagine it ever working in a spectator context. And 3pp, smh

• Locked thread