Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Danger posted:

"One word balloon in From Hell completely hijacked my life ... A character says something like, 'The one place gods inarguably exist is in the human mind'. After I wrote that, I realised I'd accidentally made a true statement, and now I'd have to rearrange my entire life around it. The only thing that seemed to really be appropriate was to become a magician."

He's not wrong though

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Maxwell Lord posted:

The ending of Watchmen is very similar to the Outer Limits episode "The Architects of Fear" (though I think Moore said it was a coincidence)- there, a bunch of people work to try to force world piece by faking an alien invasion, which involves turning one of their own into an alien monstrosity, but it all goes awry.

Haha
"The "bear" in this episode, the monstrously-altered Allen Leighton, was judged by some of ABC's local affiliate stations to be so frightening that they broadcast a black screen during the Thetan's appearances, effectively censoring most of the show's last act. In other parts of the United States, the Thetan footage was tape delayed until after the 11 o'clock evening news. In others, it was not shown at all."

Gah!

I wonder if you could show a person from that era a movie with really good CGI, if they'd think dragons are actually real.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Meanwhile that loving alien in Star Trek kept showing up in the credits.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

zoux posted:

Haha
"The "bear" in this episode, the monstrously-altered Allen Leighton, was judged by some of ABC's local affiliate stations to be so frightening that they broadcast a black screen during the Thetan's appearances, effectively censoring most of the show's last act. In other parts of the United States, the Thetan footage was tape delayed until after the 11 o'clock evening news. In others, it was not shown at all."

Gah!

I wonder if you could show a person from that era a movie with really good CGI, if they'd think dragons are actually real.

I mean, some 15 years ago people thought Final Fantasy Spirit Within's cg was the prelude for actors imminently being replaced by cg abominations

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Calaveron posted:

I mean, some 15 years ago people thought Final Fantasy Spirit Within's cg was the prelude for actors imminently being replaced by cg abominations

The difference is we're kind of there now, with movies now successfully integrating fully CGI characters. Not human characters though, but ever since Gollum proved the concept, they've done some great things with purely CGI characters. I think it's one reason why genre stuff like fantasy, sci fi and comic movies and TV shows are so hot right now, they don't look that cheesy anymore and you can believably put on screen anything a writer imagines or an artist draws.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

On an episode of friends, Rachel's sister tries to have sex with Ross to get
Back at Rachel and Ross spurns her to spare Rachel's feelings. She gets angry and says "you turned me down! How gay are you" and every time I'm just like can we not

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Pick posted:

Sandman's not that loving good. If it had lovely art it would be entirely unmemorable.

In comic book terms it might as well be the loving Sistine chapel

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

Calaveron posted:

I've never seen it but I heartell the plan was to have the main character become, like, a digital actress who would appear in different movies. I really oughta watch it, it sounds nuts.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Mendigo posted:

It also had really lovely art at first.

Yeah the first "book" or whatever it's just cheesy 80s/early 90s superhero comic art and honesty the plot is awkward and relies too much on other established comic book characters. Kind of like how Spawn was for the first 20 comics or so

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Rough Lobster posted:

I've never seen it but I heartell the plan was to have the main character become, like, a digital actress who would appear in different movies. I really oughta watch it, it sounds nuts.

Steve Buscemi and James Woods are both in it acting like christmas hams and a bonus feature is the whole cast doing the thriller dance.

Its also not the first pioneer of "Digital Actress" which goes to the game series D.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Spirits Within did have an impact when CGI character "Ben Affleck" somehow became a real boy and is now a major actual person and sought-after director.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

oldpainless posted:

Back at Rachel and Ross spurns her to spare Rachel's feelings. She gets angry and says "you turned me down! How gay are you" and every time I'm just like can we not

More like oldhateless. :unsmith:

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Maxwell Lord posted:

The ending of Watchmen is very similar to the Outer Limits episode "The Architects of Fear" (though I think Moore said it was a coincidence)- there, a bunch of people work to try to force world piece by faking an alien invasion, which involves turning one of their own into an alien monstrosity, but it all goes awry.

The dialogue from the final scene of season one of True Detective was lifted verbatim from some comic book, so time really is a flat circle.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Danger posted:

"One word balloon in From Hell completely hijacked my life ... A character says something like, 'The one place gods inarguably exist is in the human mind'. After I wrote that, I realised I'd accidentally made a true statement, and now I'd have to rearrange my entire life around it. The only thing that seemed to really be appropriate was to become a magician."

To be fair, his definition of "magician" is kinda complex. As close to a tl;dr version I can summarize is that by their nature of identification, words have pretty great power over the world. Writers are therefore no different than wizards or conjurers of old, using all this power to create things that hadn't existed prior. His other beliefs I've heard him talk about in interviews are a bit murkier, where he starts going into the Collective Unconscious, and how the entirety of existence is meta, whether it likes it or not. His sworn enemy in magickal comic writers, Grant Morrison, goes into that end of things significantly more often in his own works.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Don't even attempt Promethea.

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

Calaveron posted:

like Grum?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cXo6JEK5WVE

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

zoux posted:

Don't even attempt Promethea.

Eh, I liked it. Basically just Moore using superhero casing to teach Kabbalah 101

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

zoux posted:

The difference is we're kind of there now, with movies now successfully integrating fully CGI characters. Not human characters though

There's two in Rogue One.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

sassassin posted:

There's two in Rogue One.

And they're still just barely on that side of the Uncanny Valley

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Choco1980 posted:

And they're still just barely on that side of the Uncanny Valley

That's because they were a bit to proud of their own work and drew attention to it.

Meanwhile literally nobody noticed that Hugh Jackman was entirely CGI at points in The Wolverine.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Tiggum posted:

Watchmen's plot is copied almost exactly from The Sirens of Titan by Kurt Vonnegut. Moore just added super heroes.

I read the latter a few years ago, and didn't notice a connection. Could you elaborate?

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'

Choco1980 posted:

To be fair, his definition of "magician" is kinda complex. As close to a tl;dr version I can summarize is that by their nature of identification, words have pretty great power over the world. Writers are therefore no different than wizards or conjurers of old, using all this power to create things that hadn't existed prior. His other beliefs I've heard him talk about in interviews are a bit murkier, where he starts going into the Collective Unconscious, and how the entirety of existence is meta, whether it likes it or not. His sworn enemy in magickal comic writers, Grant Morrison, goes into that end of things significantly more often in his own works.

Oh I quoted him in earnest. From Hell is most likely the greatest graphic novel of all time and an absolutely seminal piece of 20th century literature.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Good movie too

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?

oldpainless posted:

This is something that appears far too often in media of the time. Really uncomfortable to go back and watch. Who the way you phrased it makes me wonder, how often do you rewatch all of friends?

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

funmanguy posted:

This is something that appears far too often in media of the time. Really uncomfortable to go back and watch. Who the way you phrased it makes me wonder, how often do you rewatch all of friends?

My ex-girlfriend would run through the entire series and a few weeks later would start over again.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I read the latter a few years ago, and didn't notice a connection. Could you elaborate?

I was exaggerating a bit, but there are some pretty striking similarities. If you combine Adrian Veidt and Dr Manhattan then you basically get Winston Niles Rumfoord, and the whole plot of each leads up to a fake alien invasion engineered by Veidt/Rumfoord to bring about world peace. There's also some similarities between Veidt using Manhattan and manipulating him into exiling himself to Mars and Rumfoord using Malachi Constant and then having him exiled to Titan.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Tiggum posted:

I was exaggerating a bit, but there are some pretty striking similarities. If you combine Adrian Veidt and Dr Manhattan then you basically get Winston Niles Rumfoord, and the whole plot of each leads up to a fake alien invasion engineered by Veidt/Rumfoord to bring about world peace. There's also some similarities between Veidt using Manhattan and manipulating him into exiling himself to Mars and Rumfoord using Malachi Constant and then having him exiled to Titan.

But the alien is real, and in fact aliens were the ones manipulating everything to begin with.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
Friends is just the white version of Living Single.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Absurd Alhazred posted:

But the alien is real, and in fact aliens were the ones manipulating everything to begin with.

There is a real alien but the invasion is fake.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Aesop Poprock posted:

In comic book terms it might as well be the loving Sistine chapel

Well yes for sure.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Tiggum posted:

There is a real alien but the invasion is fake.

I'm going to have to reread, seems like.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

No way will I defend anything Moore has done in the last two decades, but "Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow" and "For the Man Who Has Everything" are still amazing and possible top ever Superman comics.

Kinda like Frank Miller's "Dark Knight Returns" being phenomenal but I don't want to dwell on post 9/11 sending Miller to a weird place.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
A big problem is that until pretty recently, even with big name guys doing independent/personal projects the nature of the comics industry basically requires you to meat grinder every decent idea you have without giving it full time to ferment and develop. It's no coincidence that when you look at most comic writers best works its poo poo that they had kicking around in their brain while they did other projects for years. Otherwise you get poo poo like how Ellis has been trying to tell that "ultraviolent deconstruction of silver age superheroes through the lens of modern pop culture and specifically main characters that have been abused by the government" story for like 15 years and keeps almost getting it right and then immediately trying again. Like Desolation Jones/Authority/Stormwatch/GI Joe Resolute/Black Summer/No Hero all try and each individually get certain things right but never quite get everything he wants to say in them. The only comic writer I know who's had a consistently varied, high quality and consistent level of work over his entire career is Naoki Urasawa.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

I feel that the increased acceptance of poly relationships is going to make a lot of love-triangle-based dramas age poorly. Like, if you two really love that other person and they reciprocate your feelings then maybe just roll with it? Sheesh.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Kit Walker posted:

I feel that the increased acceptance of poly relationships is going to make a lot of love-triangle-based dramas age poorly. Like, if you two really love that other person and they reciprocate your feelings then maybe just roll with it? Sheesh.

Yeah, I remember feeling that way about the Bill/Sookie/Eric triangle in True Blood. She even has a dream where they're all making love, and then she breaks up with them because that's just not right. :shrug:

Caprica had a kind of polyamorous marriage going on, but they ended up being the villains, so I don't know if that really fits the bill.

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

Kit Walker posted:

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Yeah, I remember feeling that way about the Bill/Sookie/Eric triangle in True Blood. She even has a dream where they're all making love, and then she breaks up with them because that's just not right. :shrug:

Caprica had a kind of polyamorous marriage going on, but they ended up being the villains, so I don't know if that really fits the bill.

Or it might change from a 'polyamory is bad because THE JESUS' and turn into a criticism of the whole idea of monogamy and the like. In a way, that's the most interesting part of watching the Baby Boomers' hold on culture slowly start to fade: they've held on for so long that a lot of assumed norms in TV are now being questioned outright so many of them will fade. Especially since there's no longer three to four hands on the TV dial, but hundreds if not thousands that are all looking for eyes and can escape unwelcome attention by sheer numbers alone. Even if some stations go the superstation route and start pandering to the same old 'basic' TV audience, there's still a lot of them out there that exist and offer a platform for other people.

Maybe the funniest thing of this thread isn't that some TV episodes will age badly, but eventually all of them simply due to American attitudes in the twentieth century simply dying out and being questioned without the power of the status quo to quash an even-handed discussion of it. And oddly enough, all of those 'progressive' episodes that do take an evenhandedness with then-contemporary controversies will age badly as well. Imagine a world, years from now, where they offer mega-discs in gas stations of old TV programming where the youth laugh at the inability of Will & Grace to deal with homosexuality without any overt signs of affections that are allowed for the heterosexuals. I guess, in some ways, it's funny to realize as time goes on those old '40s filmstrips used for education will be those '90s sitcoms where being gay is shocking and any talk of sex is filtered and obscured through pathetic childish lingo.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
Poly relationships don't work out more than they do. Also makes the person look selfish.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

It's a TV show though. It's not like the characters will break up even though the writers wanted them to stay together.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Gaunab posted:

Poly relationships don't work out more than they do. Also makes the person look selfish.

Much like how TCC has done more to scare me off of drug use than any actual anti-drug propaganda, /r/relationships has done more to convince me that poly relationships are terrible than a lifetime living in this heteonormative thought prison we call America.

It'll be great for TV drama though.