Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Frijolero posted:

https://twitter.com/b_schaffner/status/900123993897926661

lol, these are actually great numbers and reaffirm my faith in humanity

so they're saying bernie would have won??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThndrShk2k
Nov 3, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bread Liar

zegermans posted:

Most people were kinda cheesed that folks couldn't put away their salt shakers to either vote against or not vote for a manchild fascist.
"I am great because America is already great! :smugbert:"

"I'm an rear end in a top hat but I'll make America great cus poo poo sucks now!"

Who had the message of Hope and Change?

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Darkman Fanpage posted:

hmmmm :thunk:

ThndrShk2k
Nov 3, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bread Liar
If all politicians lie, then wouldn't Hillary's message be reverse psychology gone dumb?

🤔

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Darkman Fanpage posted:

It is known.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

So what happened at the PhonesTrump rally (can't believe the president stool holds rallys)? He's doubling down on the Afghanistan War and the anti-fa is just as bad as Nazis poo poo, but anything else? I heard it wasn't that crowded so the MAGA Chuds are claiming the picture of a sports parade is actually the crowd asy his rally?

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment I'm alive, I pray for death!

KomradeX posted:

So what happened at the PhonesTrump rally (can't believe the president stool holds rallys)? He's doubling down on the Afghanistan War and the anti-fa is just as bad as Nazis poo poo, but anything else? I heard it wasn't that crowded so the MAGA Chuds are claiming the picture of a sports parade is actually the crowd asy his rally?

He also dogwhistled how great it would be if someone would rid him of this turbulent priest do something about the horrible media who hate America and you, and also all but promised to pardon Arpaio.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
https://twitter.com/mattyglesias/status/900404423050113024

My official stance on 2020: Zuckerberg/Harris

Iron Twinkie
Apr 20, 2001

BOOP

Have the rights to collect parking fees been sold to an investment group in Abu Dhabi yet?

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Main Paineframe posted:

typically, it was a community affair. there'd be a sheriff or two, supported by (often unarmed) volunteer constables and a neighborhood watch. if poo poo really went down, the sheriff would round up a posse of volunteer helpers or call in the militia. in places where there was a particular problem, a detective agency would be hired

this was sufficient for dealing with violent crime, which wasn't all that common anyway. but since those systems were inherently designed to protect communities, they weren't very good at protecting the commerce and profits of rich industrialists, and they weren't a reliable bulwark against the social shifts caused by the Industrial Revolution and the rise of capitalism. so professional police forces started springing up with the objective of enforcing class divisions, protecting the property and infrastructure of the mega-rich, intimidating the increasingly-poor working class into submission, and cracking down on social movements that could potentially threaten the oligarchs' profits or position. in the American South they had the extra objective of enforcing racial divisions as well as class divisions

hmm, what sort of person would be disproportionately represented among volunteer constables and neighborhood watchmen

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

ThndrShk2k posted:

"I am great because America is already great! :smugbert:"

"I'm an rear end in a top hat but I'll make America great cus poo poo sucks now!"

Who had the message of Hope and Change?

oh lord it's an actual Bernie was closer to Trump than Clinton post in the wild

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

MizPiz posted:

Bring back the Symbionese Liberation Front!

symbian is a failure op

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Sapozhnik posted:

hmm, what sort of person would be disproportionately represented among volunteer constables and neighborhood watchmen

I liked the breezy "violent crime wasn't all that common anyway," which is definitely something that can be confidently stated about all historical periods prior to the industrial revolution without making people think you're a hilariously misinformed idiot.

ThndrShk2k
Nov 3, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bread Liar

Sapozhnik posted:

Local community people under the collective community control of the community.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

LGD posted:

I liked the breezy "violent crime wasn't all that common anyway," which is definitely something that can be confidently stated about all historical periods prior to the industrial revolution without making people think you're a hilariously misinformed idiot.

I'd be very interested to see what sources he's getting all this from because while what he's saying has some validity, it's nostalgic-bordering-on-ahistoric about community policing and crime in pre-industrial America.

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Cathrine the Great was from pittsburgh

ThndrShk2k
Nov 3, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bread Liar

zegermans posted:

oh lord it's an actual Bernie was closer to Trump than Clinton post in the wild
You got super dumbs up in ya face if you think that's the post.

It was a Trump was last election's Obama post.
The Hope and Change being capitalized was the clue

And Obama won on hope and change because well, people want hope and change for the future if poo poo sucks, and poo poo sucked in 08 and poo poo sucked in 16.
If poo poo sucks you don't say poo poo don't suck, especially if you're literally following the politician playbook where you are expected to say one thing but mean another, not representing anyone but the elites who pay you.

Yes, Bernie played on Hope and Change too. If the General Election was Bernie vs Hillary, Bernie would've won hugely. He almost won the primary if not for the establishment working against him.
Practically anyone could beat the message (or lack thereof) of Hillary Clinton, and it's not because of the person presenting such a milquetoast (non)message.

ThndrShk2k has issued a correction as of 18:43 on Aug 23, 2017

ThndrShk2k
Nov 3, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bread Liar
Kasich would've won.

:thunk:

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

ThndrShk2k posted:

Kasich would've won.

:thunk:

cant be president and hobo king

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Police forces need to exist and they need to be accountable under the same system of law that they are employed to uphold. As opposed to the current situation where certain types of citizen are fair game to be hunted and killed for sport.

Accountability under a system of law is what distinguishes a police force from a band of marauders.

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Sapozhnik posted:

Police forces need to exist and they need to be accountable under the same system of law that they are employed to uphold. As opposed to the current situation where certain types of citizen are fair game to be hunted and killed for sport.

Accountability under a system of law is what distinguishes a police force from a band of marauders.

I hear that some of those that work forces are the same that burn crosses

I'm glad that song had like 4 lyrics total because I didn't want to distract from the sickass bass riff

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

zegermans posted:

I'm glad that song had like 4 lyrics total because I didn't want to distract from the sickass bass riff

The key to enjoying Rage is to ignore de la Rocha entirely and instead concentrate on Tom Morello's righteous chops.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Captain_Maclaine posted:

He also dogwhistled how great it would be if someone would rid him of this turbulent priest do something about the horrible media who hate America and you, and also all but promised to pardon Arpaio.

Ugh Joe Arapio is the only person that deserves to rot in those open air tent concentration camps in the desert he's made

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

zegermans posted:

ratm own.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Policemen, real policemen,
it's policemen we'll become
(who's number one?)

Peace men? Yes, we're peace men!
Even though we wear a gun
(it's all in fun)

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Is belief in dispassionate justice and equality under the law a form of liberalism?

Help me out here

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

zegermans posted:

Cathrine the Great was from pittsburgh

That was Catherine the So-So.

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

best Zeppelin album

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Captain_Maclaine posted:

The key to enjoying Rage is to ignore de la Rocha entirely and instead concentrate on Tom Morello's righteous chops.

It works for Paul Ryan

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

It works for Paul Ryan

beaten gently caress

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Captain_Maclaine posted:

:chloe:

mods??

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
I remember playing Cochise for the first time thinking "I wonder what RATM + Chris Cornell sounds like" and then the riff and vocals hit and I was like "well I don't know what I expected"

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

He's a lovely frontman and I will never concede otherwise. :colbert:

zegermans posted:

I remember playing Cochise for the first time thinking "I wonder what RATM + Chris Cornell sounds like" and then the riff and vocals hit and I was like "well I don't know what I expected"

I was actually a little let down since Cornell's voice is so raw on that one track, but thankfully he was back in fighting trim on the rest of the album.

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Just lol if you don't listen to the lyrics of Guerilla Radio to prepare for the coming revolution

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
Maria is good

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Gil Scott-Heron is like RATM if RATM were any good

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

so weve been trying to organize a meeting of local leftist org and there were some problems with the biggest group in the area who are lib as gently caress hijacking it, but we seemed to get it straightened out and scheduled it for tonight and we we're gonna talk about how to take action against Nazis

Then I woke up to a text: "Liberals took over again and are making it "not about action by about self assessment""

FUUUUUUUUCK youuuuuuu

is the big liberal group Indivisible

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Captain_Maclaine posted:

I'd be very interested to see what sources he's getting all this from because while what he's saying has some validity, it's nostalgic-bordering-on-ahistoric about community policing and crime in pre-industrial America.

local constables and posses were extremely effective at prosecution of witchcraft

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

Gil Scott-Heron is like RATM if RATM were any good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sLtRHN7fsgY

• Locked thread