Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Mraagvpeine posted:

I don't remember the show that well, but wasn't Cat like Squidward?

Overall less of a jerk, but yeah they were both intellectuals who could be snobbish

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Given they're shown on the toilet once or twice (a litter box next to a fire hydrant, of course) I think it's meant to be inferred they poop from somewhere in the middle.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Mraagvpeine posted:

I don't remember the show that well, but wasn't Cat like Squidward?

Yes, in that they were both the butt of constant, unwarranted harassment and abuse. The abuse in Catdog was in many ways worse because Cat was, of course, one of the lead characters and so nearly every episode was about him getting hosed over in some manner. Squidward, at least, wasn't in every episode of SpongeBob. But yeah, it was one of the main reasons I hated watching Catdog.

Great soundtrack, though.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
It's kind of interesting how many bad shows had really good theme tunes. Catdog's was pretty [url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=54Afdxd6sUQ"]cool[url], and Totally Spies was really catchy [url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-B1gBFCz-s"]too[url].

The Totally Spies one was actually a short cover of this song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e60G9pxOE-Y

I like the visuals in the original "Here we Go!", they do clever things with reversing the footage. At one point it subtly reverses her movements during the "I don't do sex but I do do second base/so you can wipe that sad look off your face", but then continues, so she adjusts her jacket after reaching the start of her mouth movements, dusts herself off then lies down on the road side, as a car backs up towards her - then when the chorus starts you see the start of the scene and realise you just saw her getting dumped very harshly as one of her lovers literally throws her out of his car and drives off (the last part of the reversed footage shows her getting "thrown"/pulled into the car in a very obvious manner).

BioEnchanted fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Aug 23, 2017

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I think I liked Catdog a lot as a kid, but it's definitely aged poorly. There were a lot of cartoons that ended up really mean back in the day. Making characters designed to be the butt of jokes combined with gross-out humor and surrealistic slapstick could get very brutal.

Totally Spies I never really watched, but I guess I expected that it probably did well outside my demographic.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Totally Spies has, uh... its own particular reputation and following.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Honestly If one ignores all the fetish fuel that Totally Spies is crammed with, it's a legitimately decent show

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

drrockso20 posted:

Honestly If one ignores all the fetish fuel that Totally Spies is crammed with, it's a legitimately decent show

I enjoyed it when I was younger, but it did bad things to physics.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
So, having finished Season 2 of the original Teen Titans, does it get any better? It's good enough to watch, but it's far from amazing, and I'm wondering if it improves enough to make it worthwhile to wake up in the early AM to watch a show that so far nowhere near lives up to the hype, or if this is the bar of quality to expect from here on out.

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

The stairs lead down in both directions.

BioEnchanted posted:

I enjoyed it when I was younger, but it did bad things to physics.

Wasn't there an episode where they were fighting on top of a fighter jet while it was in mid flight? Like, you know that thing travels at supersonic speeds, right? Doesn't stop them from doing back flips on top it somehow. Reminds me of that episode of Archer when he tries to stand on top of a moving train without eye protection only to find out the hard way that real life doesn't work like movies when he gets blasted in the face.

What I'm trying to say here is that Archer is better grounded in reality than TS.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Let's not forget this dose of absolute madness: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rx_T7kasdwM

"Racquetball Trick Shot :downs:"

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Totally Spies is an aggressively mediocre show. As a kid I always thought it was a bad ripoff of Kim Possible but I just checked and it turns out TS came out six months before KP.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

So they have apparently moved the premiere of Miraculous S2 to December. Gonna make it hard to explain that Halloween episode, guys.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Eh. MST3K had a Christmas special in March.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Totally Spies makes me at least a little happy to think about, because the show did like shockingly well with both boys and girls when their pitch got doubted pretty hard at first.

"The show was described as risky because it had targeted girls with a genre typically associated with boys' shows, and that it was animated when girls were more interested in live shows. After four seasons, the show had reached over 130 countries and was met with enthusiasm among ages 6–11 that included both girls and boys, and had an appeal to a broad range of age and gender. In an interview before season three, David Michel said, "The one thing that surprised us the most is the consistency in the male / female viewership split: from Brazil to Italy, we have a 50% boys 50% girls audience ratio, whereas everybody was predicting the show would score very low on boys.""

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
Loud House is alright. I like it better than Spongebob.

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe
I did some digging out of curiosity last night and I kind of think that the ReBoot reboot is dead. The last facebook and official website news post about it was in late May, since then not a single new screen shot/news update about the development. I also dug through as many twitter accounts as I could find of employees at Rainmaker, and none of them have talked about the show at all in the last 2 months.

The originally press release may have been a investor seeker on the sly, even digging through YTV's horrible website I can't even find the press release anymore.

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!

BattleTech posted:

I did some digging out of curiosity last night and I kind of think that the ReBoot reboot is dead. The last facebook and official website news post about it was in late May, since then not a single new screen shot/news update about the development. I also dug through as many twitter accounts as I could find of employees at Rainmaker, and none of them have talked about the show at all in the last 2 months.

The originally press release may have been a investor seeker on the sly, even digging through YTV's horrible website I can't even find the press release anymore.

I'm hoping the incredible amount of fan backlash to it might have had a hand in it too. It was looking less ReBoot and more Code Lyoko/Zixx 2.0

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

Oracle posted:

So they have apparently moved the premiere of Miraculous S2 to December. Gonna make it hard to explain that Halloween episode, guys.

Boooooo. This show is so bad and yet I miss it so much.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

The fifth season of the Netflix version of the Dreamworks Dragons series went up on Netflix today, and uh

Let's just say that the last episode changes EVERYTHING about a character who'd been with the series ever since it started on Cartoon Network.

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

I've only seen the movies. Which character? What happens?

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

TFRazorsaw posted:

The fifth season of the Netflix version of the Dreamworks Dragons series went up on Netflix today, and uh

Let's just say that the last episode changes EVERYTHING about a character who'd been with the series ever since it started on Cartoon Network.

I'm guessing they killed off Heather, cause they kinda have to get rid of her before HTTYD 2 happens for obvious reasons, unless they had already gotten rid of her in a previous season that is, cause I'll admit I haven't watched since it jumped to Netflix

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

They don't need to get rid of Heather. She's not a regular member of the team.

But they revealed that Trader Johann, a recurring character from since the show was on CN, has actually been working against Hiccup and Berk while pretending to be an ally, informant, and supplier for years.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

"Okay, all the Teen Titans Go is getting stale. We can mix it up with a bit of Original Teen Titans. But ONLY the Apprentice two-parter."

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

All this talk of the Dragons cartoon almost makes me want to get Netflix.

Andrew_1985
Sep 18, 2007
Hay hay hay!
Guys, I just watched the Teen Titans Go! Night Begins to Shine 4-part special and it was amazing. Apart from the unnecessary Ceelo/Fallout Boy cameos.

It's a shame so many people hate it when it constantly churns out entertaining episodes like the Rental Property one or Lady Legasus ones.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Andrew_1985 posted:

Guys, I just watched the Teen Titans Go! Night Begins to Shine 4-part special and it was amazing. Apart from the unnecessary Ceelo/Fallout Boy cameos.

It's a shame so many people hate it when it constantly churns out entertaining episodes like the Rental Property one or Lady Legasus ones.

"40%, 40%, 20%" is probably the best TTG episode, but I felt like the 4-parter took what should have been a one-off, maybe a second episode at the most, and just went full :regd08: with it.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

raditts posted:

"40%, 40%, 20%" is probably the best TTG episode, but I felt like the 4-parter took what should have been a one-off, maybe a second episode at the most, and just went full :regd08: with it.

That's how I feel about literally all the Leg episodes. I'm a pretty staunch defender of the show but every time I see that gag/plot I'm like ffs writers it's not funny anymore and it's bordering on just being fetish poo poo, can we stop?

Waffleman_ posted:

"Okay, all the Teen Titans Go is getting stale. We can mix it up with a bit of Original Teen Titans. But ONLY the Apprentice two-parter."

I remember watching that back in the day and being sooooo positive that Slade was Batman in disguise. If I'd only used loving google I could've figured out in two seconds that Slade was legit his name.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Aug 26, 2017

Kermit The Grog
Mar 29, 2010
I know we can't explain the mystery of the Cartoon Network airing schedule, but why is OK KO being put out like crazy fast? It just premiered earlier this month and they've already shown 20+ episodes of it.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

They've been doing that with all their series premieres lately. I think it's just to get a good supply of episodes out so they can rerun them more easily.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

They've been doing that with all their series premieres lately. I think it's just to get a good supply of episodes out so they can rerun them more easily.

Makes sense. It probably also helps their streaming numbers to have more than one episode of a series available

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
My understanding is that both CN and Disney are trying to adopt a Netflix-esque model for cartoon releases, where they'll horde episodes and release them all at once in rapid succession. Ostensibly, this then drives people to watch the new episodes on On-Demand or on the mobile apps, and since they'll then be more likely to binge-watch multiple episodes at once, the overall result is higher ratings.

At least, I think that's the plan. How successful it actually ends up being is a question only Disney or CN can answer.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
I think, honestly, as long as the content isn't being released elsewhere, that it's being VOD'ed as a point of first call, then it's fine.

The less Little Witch Academia situations (something that completely soured me on being the patiant little goodboy Netflix want me to be about their bought in orgional content) the better.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
So they're keeping OG TT here at 6 after the two week trial period. Probably because it is ironically pulling in numbers for a dead air slot between King of the Hill end of AS and before Nexo Nights/Whatever Lego show they're finally replacing ninjago with and TTGO.

Is it me or is those kinds of shows similar to TTGO as they randomly struck gold and desperately try to repeat it with any other goofy, bad guys eventually become good rotating cast of characters lego adventure that Ninjago somehow won with kids a few years ago?

Crabtree fucked around with this message at 13:04 on Aug 28, 2017

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Ninjago is just ninja lego Power Rangers.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Well The Lego Ninjago Movie IS non canon like the (first) PR one.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
I just figured Cartoon Network is doing the bare minimum to keep up a deal with Lego since they stuff the Lego shows in early slots and stuff whole seasons of ninjago into a week.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Wouldn't be surprised, reminded how Transformers Animated had to end early and The Hub briefly existed entirely because Hasbro was sick of CN's poo poo, apparently.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

The Hub existed because Hasbro wanted to become to a media and ip company instead of just a toy company.

They also never had full creative control over Animated and that bothered them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Gaunab posted:

I just figured Cartoon Network is doing the bare minimum to keep up a deal with Lego since they stuff the Lego shows in early slots and stuff whole seasons of ninjago into a week.

That seems to be the case for every property that's not owned by them.