Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Eldragon
Feb 22, 2003

Has anyone found a good way to use a fighter with Keelback?

e.g. Go into a CZ or Res park the keelback way outside the fight and tell it to defend, then just fly the fighter and rack up kills?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Eldragon posted:

Has anyone found a good way to use a fighter with Keelback?

e.g. Go into a CZ or Res park the keelback way outside the fight and tell it to defend, then just fly the fighter and rack up kills?

In a Res just give the keelback some railguns and let the NPC go hogwild with it

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

TipsyMcStagger posted:

Do fighters have ammo? or are they unlimited?

Unlimited ammo. Weapons that have magazines like multicannons and plasma repeaters simply have to pause to reload every now and then, but you don't have an actual ammo hopper to drain.

Somebody once said that having a fighter bay with a competent pilot is about equivalent to having an extra C4 hardpoint on your ship and I'm halfway inclined to agree. Sure, the bay itself takes up a considerable chunk of internal space, but it does give you firepower far beyond what your ship's hardpoints alone should technically be able to carry.

DarthBlingBling
Apr 19, 2004

These were also dark times for gamers as we were shunned by others for being geeky or nerdy and computer games were seen as Childs play things, during these dark ages the whispers began circulating about a 3D space combat game called Elite

- CMDR Bald Man In A Box

Drake_263 posted:

I have a friend who tried very hard to convince me the Vulture was a Bad Ship because his armament of choice for it was a pair of turreted beam lasers. At C2.

That's cute, we had a fool who was convinced it was garbage because it took 20 mins or so to destroy a conda with his Vulture. He even posted a video as proof.

Turns out he hadn't changed the load out so was plinking away at the conda with C1 pulse lasers.

TipsyMcStagger
Apr 13, 2013

This isn't where
I parked my car...
What would you engineer the multicannons on a vulture for? Short range? Rapid fire?

Kurr de la Cruz
May 21, 2007

Put the boots to him, medium style.

Hair Elf

TipsyMcStagger posted:

What would you engineer the multicannons on a vulture for? Short range? Rapid fire?

Overcharged 5 with the Autoloader experimental. It does INSANE damage because you almost never have to reload the magazines.

But if you're going kinetic, I'd suggest a fixed frag cannon instead. High-Capacity is a good choice. 6 Shots per mag instead of 3. Does insane amounts of burst. I usually pair a high-cap 5 fixed corrosive frag cannon with an efficient 5 regeneration sequence beam laser on a gimbal mount, but lately I've been looking at maybe throwing a burst laser in its place, as the secondaries for beam lasers are pretty unimpressive for the most part when I'm soloing poo poo in a CZ or RES. During Wing-Ops the heal beam is unbeatable as it's a never-ending hose of damage or healing.

TipsyMcStagger
Apr 13, 2013

This isn't where
I parked my car...

Kurr de la Cruz posted:

Overcharged 5 with the Autoloader experimental. It does INSANE damage because you almost never have to reload the magazines.

But if you're going kinetic, I'd suggest a fixed frag cannon instead. High-Capacity is a good choice. 6 Shots per mag instead of 3. Does insane amounts of burst. I usually pair a high-cap 5 fixed corrosive frag cannon with an efficient 5 regeneration sequence beam laser on a gimbal mount, but lately I've been looking at maybe throwing a burst laser in its place, as the secondaries for beam lasers are pretty unimpressive for the most part when I'm soloing poo poo in a CZ or RES. During Wing-Ops the heal beam is unbeatable as it's a never-ending hose of damage or healing.

The problem is I haven't grinded my engineers up, so I can't fit the frag cannon, power plant issues. I could disable some things maybe

Kurr de la Cruz
May 21, 2007

Hair Elf

TipsyMcStagger posted:

The problem is I haven't grinded my engineers up, so I can't fit the frag cannon, power plant issues. I could disable some things maybe

I think felicity farseer (grandma) does grade 1 powerplant mods. She's an initial unlock so go farm up a bunch of sulphur, which is a very common and easy to get material and roll it a bunch of times. You can easily get a god-tier roll on a G1 mod because they cost a single piece of an easy to farm/collect material, so you can just roll and roll and roll till you get something you're happy with.

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

"I like Ur and Kavodel and Enki being nice to people for some reason."

Wrong Voter amongst wrong voters
How easily do fighters redock/keep up after frameshifting?

Kurr de la Cruz posted:

I think felicity farseer (grandma) does grade 1 powerplant mods. She's an initial unlock so go farm up a bunch of sulphur, which is a very common and easy to get material and roll it a bunch of times. You can easily get a god-tier roll on a G1 mod because they cost a single piece of an easy to farm/collect material, so you can just roll and roll and roll till you get something you're happy with.

Ok but how do I easily get that meta alloy she wants, if I don't feel like going to maia?

vorebane fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Aug 23, 2017

Kurr de la Cruz
May 21, 2007

Hair Elf

vorebane posted:

How easily do fighters redock/keep up after frameshifting?

They don't. They self-destruct if you try to frameshift with one deployed.

vorebane posted:

Ok but how do I easily get that meta alloy she wants, if I don't feel like going to maia?

You go to Maia. The only place to get them is from that station in Maia, or alternatively you can try finding an active barnacle site and harvest them yourself. The areas you can find barnacle sites are... all situated around Maia. So just go to Maia. Buy a hauler, give it a Class A FSD, and a class D everything else, and a nice scoop. You'll get there and back in no time.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

vorebane posted:

Bless you who thinks this counts as effort :allears:
It's just about the easiest unlock.

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

"I like Ur and Kavodel and Enki being nice to people for some reason."

Wrong Voter amongst wrong voters
Bah humbug 300+ lightyears is too much I want to do some community goaling. And I had meant to ask how fast a fighter redocks when you recall it in the midst of a fight.

TipsyMcStagger
Apr 13, 2013

This isn't where
I parked my car...

Kurr de la Cruz posted:

I got an asp explorer, is it best to mine in space or use the scarab scanner mini game on planets

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
Can someone help me out with priorities here? I'm a little confused about which things can be disabled when.

https://coriolis.edcd.io/outfit/vip...D&bn=My%20Viper

I'm building this out for combat and will eventually do some engineering but for now everything is stock.

edit: I just realized I don't need a wake scanner and that thing sucks power like gently caress. Got rid of it and everything fits.

GutBomb fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Aug 23, 2017

Kurr de la Cruz
May 21, 2007

Hair Elf

TipsyMcStagger posted:

I got an asp explorer, is it best to mine in space or use the scarab scanner mini game on planets

The Aspie is a great ship for doing engineering poo poo. It can haul a decent amount of cargo, along with a rover bay and a big fuel scoop. Long range, for less jumps. You don't need to fight to get most of the stuff you need, and you can scoop up the stuff you get from fighting easy enough in a combat ship.

So, all in all a great choice.

GutBomb posted:

Can someone help me out with priorities here? I'm a little confused about which things can be disabled when.

I'm building this out for combat and will eventually do some engineering but for now everything is stock.

:stare:

My dude, uhh.. this build makes some really weird mistakes but can be fixed pretty easily.

First, you're using class A warrant and wake scanners. Those things take a LUDICROUS amount of power. And they're useless, because all they do is let you scan from further away. Not faster. You can afford to E or D rank these. Let's ditch the wake scanner, but keep the warrant scanner for the extra cash. Now you're no longer demanding 129% of your reactor's power output.

Second, you're using too small a shield. You should always fit the highest shield size module as you can. In this case, a size 4C Bi-Weave shield is a good choice. Let's also throw on a Class A Shield Booster since we ditched the wake scanner.

You've got a lot of cargo space, but you're a fighter, so really that should all be replaced with Hull Reinforcement Packages. Now your fighter can take a tremendous beating.

The Frameshift Interdictor is a good idea, but you can get away with the 1A version.

You've got class-A sensors and life support, but you can get away with fitting class Ds for the savings in weight, money, and power usage. There's room for them if you really want though.

Your weapon choices are up to you, but maybe consider making the beams fixed if you're good with aiming. The fixed ones always do more damage.

Here's what your build should look like: https://eddp.co/u/WDi4BAbd

Now, you don't really need to manage power settings with this build anymore but in case you do, here's a basic rundown:

You assign a priority level to each module. Priority 1 is highest, 5 is lowest. As your power demand increases over what your powerplant can provide, it will shut down modules by order of priority until it meets the demand.

So, you set your Thrusters, Power Distributor, and Frameshift Drive to priority 1, you always need these. Then you set your less important things to priority 2: weapons, shields & boosters, life support & sensors. Then set everything else to priority 3: fuel & cargo scoops, vehicle bays, utility mounts and the like. If your plant takes a hit and its output is reduced, at least you'll be able to turn around and bug out, ideally.

If you look at the build I linked, it shows you the breakdown of power usage, note how the 1st bar falls under 40% usage, which is what your plant will drop to if it takes damage.

Kurr de la Cruz fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Aug 23, 2017

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Kurr de la Cruz posted:

The Aspie is a great ship for doing engineering poo poo. It can haul a decent amount of cargo, along with a rover bay and a big fuel scoop. Long range, for less jumps. You don't need to fight to get most of the stuff you need, and you can scoop up the stuff you get from fighting easy enough in a combat ship.

So, all in all a great choice.

:stare:

My dude, uhh.. this build makes some really weird mistakes but can be fixed pretty easily.

First, you're using class A warrant and wake scanners. Those things take a LUDICROUS amount of power. And they're useless, because all they do is let you scan from further away. Not faster. You can afford to E or D rank these. Let's ditch the wake scanner, but keep the warrant scanner for the extra cash. Now you're no longer demanding 129% of your reactor's power output.

Second, you're using too small a shield. You should always fit the highest shield size module as you can. In this case, a size 4C Bi-Weave shield is a good choice. Let's also throw on a Class A Shield Booster since we ditched the wake scanner.

You've got a lot of cargo space, but you're a fighter, so really that should all be replaced with Hull Reinforcement Packages. Now your fighter can take a tremendous beating.

The Frameshift Interdictor is a good idea, but you can get away with the 1A version.

You've got class-A sensors and life support, but you can get away with fitting class Ds for the savings in weight, money, and power usage. There's room for them if you really want though.

Your weapon choices are up to you, but maybe consider making the beams fixed if you're good with aiming. The fixed ones always do more damage.

Here's what your build should look like: https://eddp.co/u/WDi4BAbd

Now, you don't really need to manage power settings with this build anymore but in case you do, here's a basic rundown:

You assign a priority level to each module. Priority 1 is highest, 5 is lowest. As your power demand increases over what your powerplant can provide, it will shut down modules by order of priority until it meets the demand.

So, you set your Thrusters, Power Distributor, and Frameshift Drive to priority 1, you always need these. Then you set your less important things to priority 2: weapons, shields & boosters, life support & sensors. Then set everything else to priority 3: fuel & cargo scoops, vehicle bays, utility mounts and the like. If your plant takes a hit and its output is reduced, at least you'll be able to turn around and bug out, ideally.

If you look at the build I linked, it shows you the breakdown of power usage, note how the 1st bar falls under 40% usage, which is what your plant will drop to if it takes damage.

Thanks, I knew I'd made some mistakes but didn't know what they were because this is my first ship I'm outfitting for combat as I've been mostly exploring. I really suck at the fixed weapons. I haven't actually even tried the beam lasers yet. I went out with burst lasers and did fine but if the beams are faster/more deadly I'd like to try them. If I don't like it I'll probably go back to burst. I was under the impression that all things for combat should be priority 1 and things like the FSD and cargo scoop which I wouldn't be using in combat would be priority 2 or lower. Is that looking at it the wrong way? I was just wondering what to do with the priorities for things like the interdictor and wake scanner (which has been ditched) since they require the hardpoints to be deployed and I couldn't wrap my head around which priorities would keep everything active when I need to use them. The discovery scanner was just to avoid having to scan the nav beacons and keeping one cargo rack is for mission rewards and poo poo. Does this look like it would do well? I kept the A rated stuff since I've got room in the power plant now and I've already purchased them.

Kurr de la Cruz
May 21, 2007

Hair Elf
Yeah that'll work just fine. You may want to consider swapping to C2 MCs and then small beams, though. The two C2 beams are going to really drain your WEP capacitor in a hurry.

As for allocating power, yeah you can do a basic 1/2 setup instead of 1/2/3 -- whatever you're comfortable with. You can always get away with powering down your cargo scoop, your frameshift interdictor, and your scanner when you're fighting, so set those to priority 2 and leave everything else at priority 1. I'm pretty lazy so I usually don't bother with elaborate failure modes.

Dravs
Mar 8, 2011

You've done well, kiddo.
1 meta alloy for Farseer is hilariously easy looking back on it. I am currently unlocking Hera Tani who wants 50 tons of cigars. The specific cigars she wants are 153ly away and you can only buy 8 at a time. That means 7 trips backwards and forwards. That's a (and yes I had time to work this out in my head last night while doing it) 2142ly journey, except it's worse because you have to dock to reload and unload every 150ly.

It means it's more like doing a >2000ly journey without a fuel scoop, fml.

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

When i did it a couple of days ago the station was selling 45 cigars at a time. Does the rate change for rares?

Dravs
Mar 8, 2011

You've done well, kiddo.
Well that gives me hope. I only got half way through last night before I gave up. Will try again today and see if they are selling more.

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

Also just from my own experience, people should really get a rank 5 engineered FSD. Doing the rest of the crap for the others becomes a lot easier when you can do 153 ly journey in three or four jumps.

Half-wit
Aug 31, 2005

Half a wit more than baby Asahel, or half a wit less? You decide.

lemonadesweetheart posted:

When i did it a couple of days ago the station was selling 45 cigars at a time. Does the rate change for rares?

I believe if the system is in a 'boom' cycle, that amount of rares (and common goods) are temporarily increased.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Dravs posted:

1 meta alloy for Farseer is hilariously easy looking back on it. I am currently unlocking Hera Tani who wants 50 tons of cigars. The specific cigars she wants are 153ly away and you can only buy 8 at a time. That means 7 trips backwards and forwards. That's a (and yes I had time to work this out in my head last night while doing it) 2142ly journey, except it's worse because you have to dock to reload and unload every 150ly.

It means it's more like doing a >2000ly journey without a fuel scoop, fml.

Change session a few times to buy all you need at one time.

El Perkele
Nov 7, 2002

I HAVE SHIT OPINIONS ON STAR WARS MOVIES!!!

I can't even call the right one bad.

vorebane posted:

Bah humbug 300+ lightyears is too much I want to do some community goaling. And I had meant to ask how fast a fighter redocks when you recall it in the midst of a fight.

Palin, who gives you G5 thruster mods, wants you to go 5k ly and habd out 25 unknown fragments. The trip is hours, as is the UF grind.

Before that, you need Marco Qwent. He requires a system permit, so you have to grind faction rep, AND mission reward items. This takes hours, maybe a day.

Selene Jean wanta you to have mined 500 tons of ore and also wants 10 painites. Hours.

Bill Turner sits in a permit locked system, requires Alliance rep to get an invite, and wants 50 bromellites. Took me 2-3 days.

Ram Tah wants some data. I spent 4 hours scanning ships and logging in and out at a tourist beacon.

Farseer is useful and easy and makes everything in the game easier. FSD saves your time.

Dravs
Mar 8, 2011

You've done well, kiddo.

Khablam posted:

This does not work. It is a rare item so once you buy everything that is available, you will not be offered any more until you sell it.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.
I tried. I really did. I just don't like the Python. I even spent :10bux: pimping it out. Coming from a Vulture, it's just too slow. I was getting out turned by Gunships and almost blew up!

I'm liking the FDL much better. It suits my playstyle more I guess. The FDL runs a little hot, though. I'm hitting 85% heat after fuel scooping.

I'm using an overcharged 5A power plant, and was hoping a Low Emissions 6A would give me the same power and run a lot cooler but it juuuust didn't have enough. :v:

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Khablam posted:

If you have a rare in your hold it wont respawn.

Ak Gara posted:

I tried. I really did. I just don't like the Python. I even spent :10bux: pimping it out. Coming from a Vulture, it's just too slow. I was getting out turned by Gunships and almost blew up!

I'm liking the FDL much better. It suits my playstyle more I guess. The FDL runs a little hot, though. I'm hitting 85% heat after fuel scooping.

I'm using an overcharged 5A power plant, and was hoping a Low Emissions 6A would give me the same power and run a lot cooler but it juuuust didn't have enough. :v:

Try CD5 maybe?

TipsyMcStagger
Apr 13, 2013

This isn't where
I parked my car...

Khablam posted:

Taipan is the best in vr.

Always used a fixed beam version or plasma. You'll get yuge dps and with a bit of levelling your NPC pilot can use it consistently.
It's good training for yourself too.

Tried out fixed beam condor last night and it was fun but died extremely fast when npcs would spin turn reverse faster than I could react to it. Elite npcs in cobras are no joke apparently.

Next, tried out fixed plasma taipan and couldn't hit poo poo. The leading and the npc constantly changing vectors was miss miss miss. So I think gimballed would actually give better actual dps than the fixed plasma. Beams are much easier because it's instant hit on reticle.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.
I can't for the life of me do Medium Security Settlements.

The alarm goes off and I get shot at and blown up.

I watched a youtube video with a guy using dumbfire missiles to take out the gun turrets and so I tried that. I took one out, then all the rest blew me out of the sky. :confused:

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

Ak Gara posted:

Yeah, the Ferdie is straight up more nimble than the Python, and generally better in straight up combat. Python is a great multirole gunship, though, and doesn't suffer from the Ferdie's FSD issues.

Friendly reminder that when the FdL was first introduced, it had a 16-ton tank that cost around 300k to fill up for some ungodly reason.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
With the current patch is Quince still a decent place to grind out some cash?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I got (attempted) pirated for the first time today. Running around the CG system, I receive a message warning me to submit to interdiction and cut my throttle. I get momentarily interdicted (the interdiction message and sound happened but the minigame doesn't start) and I can't find the guy on radar so I jump to the next system to be on the safe side. The next time I returned, the guy was still there. Got the message again, and this time he successfully started the minigame but I easily won it. He must have had a wingman because I get immediately interdicted a second time and win that too, which knocks both of them out of supercruise long enough for me to get into the station.

So far PS4 Open is not living up to its billing as a hellscape of griefing murderhobos.

Related question- sometimes I'll see a blue swirl that looks like the interdiction effect but it's just floating in space off to the side somewhere and disappears after a few seconds, what are those?

haveblue fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Aug 23, 2017

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

haveblue posted:

Related question- sometimes I'll see off a blue swirl that looks like the interdiction effect but it's just floating in space off to the side somewhere and disappears after a few seconds, what are those?

I thinkits others being interdicked

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Yeah the game is currently broken in such a way that you see everyone's interdications.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Less Fat Luke posted:

With the current patch is Quince still a decent place to grind out some cash?

Absolutely. There is some luck involved but with top reputation there are 3 mil missions.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

TipsyMcStagger posted:

Tried out fixed beam condor last night and it was fun but died extremely fast when npcs would spin turn reverse faster than I could react to it. Elite npcs in cobras are no joke apparently.

Next, tried out fixed plasma taipan and couldn't hit poo poo. The leading and the npc constantly changing vectors was miss miss miss. So I think gimballed would actually give better actual dps than the fixed plasma. Beams are much easier because it's instant hit on reticle.

As long as you try things for 15s and conclude they're not working you'll not improve.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon

Sekenr posted:

Absolutely. There is some luck involved but with top reputation there are 3 mil missions.

Thanks, I'll check it out!

Edit: For gently caress's sake, 100 jumps away.

Less Fat Luke fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Aug 23, 2017

TipsyMcStagger
Apr 13, 2013

This isn't where
I parked my car...

Khablam posted:

As long as you try things for 15s and conclude they're not working you'll not improve.

Well it was more like 3 hours with the plasma. Time on damage was very low compared to beams. The problem is not the aim but since you need to lead the target or be extremely close (not the best pilot but that improves by the hour) the constant changes in vector wildly changes the lead which puts my ship incapable of turning or pitching fast enough to compensate. This has to do with positioning to try to be behind the target, I need improvement.

I'm constantly boosting, up thrusting to pitch up faster and using thrusters to try and always be behind but sometimes it would overshoot the targets distance.
Does flight assist seriously set back maneuverability that much? I haven't tried to turn it off yet.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Thinking it's new joystick time. I want to move on from my X52 into something a little more betterer. I've narrowed it down between the X56 Rhino, or the CH Pro throttle and fighterstick. I like CH's quality track record, but I also LOVE a joystick with twist to yaw. I also though about 1600000m thrustmaster, but don't like the way all the buttons are on the base of the joystick. I want as much control in my hands as possible. Even without twist to yaw I'm leaning towards CH. A penny for some good thoughts?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

TipsyMcStagger posted:

Well it was more like 3 hours with the plasma. Time on damage was very low compared to beams. The problem is not the aim but since you need to lead the target or be extremely close (not the best pilot but that improves by the hour) the constant changes in vector wildly changes the lead which puts my ship incapable of turning or pitching fast enough to compensate. This has to do with positioning to try to be behind the target, I need improvement.

I'm constantly boosting, up thrusting to pitch up faster and using thrusters to try and always be behind but sometimes it would overshoot the targets distance.
Does flight assist seriously set back maneuverability that much? I haven't tried to turn it off yet.

It's literally the only way to be moving in one direction, and be pointing in another*, which is the whole trouble you're having. It also caps all non-forward thrusters to (iirc) 70%.
Elite (and a bit below) NPCs use FA-Off so trying to do jousting/turn-fighter combat with them won't work well.

*-outside some drifting

• Locked thread