Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EKDS5k
Feb 22, 2012

THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU LET YOUR BEER FREEZE, DAMNIT

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

Rick comes a step closer to admitting he's a human with human motives and weaknesses and Morty comes a step closer to becoming the next Rick. I liked it.

Rick's hatred of Jerry makes more sense when you consider Rick's wife left him and he had no chance to have his daughter to himself since Jerry made her skip straight from high school to married life.

Rick's hatred of Jerry makes a lot of sense if you assume that his "made up origin story" from S03E01 is actually the truth: Our Rick wanted to give up on science to stay with his family, but then his wife and daughter were killed by at least one other Rick, forcing him into the same life. Then he started looking for a replacement, but in literally every other universe, the local Rick invented portal technology and immediately abandoned his family to go gently caress off around the multiverse. And Beth always wound up with Jerry, and had Morty and Summer. So he's torn between wanting a family, but also hating all the other Ricks and Jerries for loving up Beth. This is why he seems to care what Beth thinks, but is also okay with abandoning her to a planet of Cronenbergs and replacing her with an identical copy.

It's also what makes him the "Rickest Rick of them all," he's the only version of Rick who doesn't want to be there, he's smarter than all of them in that he saw what portal technology would do to his happiness, chose happiness, and had it ripped away anyway (by himself, no less). Ironically the stress of it all made him into an insane, suicidal alcoholic, identical to the rest of the Ricks.

Also I think it's funny to imagine that Rick is so much smarter than everyone else that he assumed he would one day be brainalysed, and wrote down a virus in the dirt that would get him out of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004
it's definitely not offensive at all that a real live trans person came in and gave their option, but it wasn't deemed acceptable by a bunch of white neckbeards

nope, nothing wrong with that picture

a cock shaped fruit
Aug 23, 2010

The true enemy of humanity is disorder.

Ever Reaching, Never Grasping

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

WampaLord posted:

Boy, it's really sad when other subforums try to be D&D.

Talk about the show, not politics.

you need to understand, you can't -- and, indeed, shouldn't -- enjoy a show that does not share one hundred percent of your socio-political values

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

maskenfreiheit posted:

it's definitely not offensive at all that a real live trans person came in and gave their option, but it wasn't deemed acceptable by a bunch of white neckbeards

This "well actually I don't think so, therefore you're wrong, [trans person]" is every single time I try to correct someone's transphobic ideas, and happens to every minority unwilling to shut up and take bullshit. I doubt that helps.

WUB A LUB A DUB DUB

e:

Milky Moor posted:

you need to understand, you can't -- and, indeed, shouldn't -- enjoy a show that does not share one hundred percent of your socio-political values

This is a really lovely opinion. When that socio-political idea is that the viewer is subhuman and perverted, I think it's perfectly reasonable for someone to question the work as a whole. Politics is literally what keeps me from being murdered for existing, and pretending like that's not the case in media, where many learn their understanding of the world, is an excellent example of privilege. {I still don't see the vagina joke as transphobic.}

T-man fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Aug 23, 2017

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Milky Moor posted:

And to be clear, if trans goons wanna come in here and discuss the joke and their feelings on it, that's totally cool, cause that's talking about the show.

But when you start to get into debating centrism, ain't no one talking about the show anymore.

drowned in pussy juice
Oct 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Sure am glad that guy with a long rap sheet of homophobia managed to concern troll this thread into poo poo over a throwaway joke nobody has actually been offended by yet

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008

EKDS5k posted:

Rick's hatred of Jerry makes a lot of sense if you assume that his "made up origin story" from S03E01 is actually the truth: Our Rick wanted to give up on science to stay with his family, but then his wife and daughter were killed by at least one other Rick, forcing him into the same life. Then he started looking for a replacement, but in literally every other universe, the local Rick invented portal technology and immediately abandoned his family to go gently caress off around the multiverse. And Beth always wound up with Jerry, and had Morty and Summer. So he's torn between wanting a family, but also hating all the other Ricks and Jerries for loving up Beth.

Except that we know from the first cable episode that Jerry and Beth didn't get together and didn't have Summer in almost every other universe.

Which, now that I think about it, totally contradicts the premise of Jerry Daycare.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Anyway, I still think it was the weakest episode so far this season, I got way more laughs and enjoyment out of the other ones.

I was cracking up though all of Pickle Rick, both parts, but this one had very few laughs for me.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Avasculous posted:

Except that we know from the first cable episode that Jerry and Beth didn't get together and didn't have Summer in almost every other universe.

Which, now that I think about it, totally contradicts the premise of Jerry Daycare.

No, that was A other universe. Possibly more. Possibly half of them.

Don't forget that summer saw a bunch of alternate versions of herself being really boring in the same episode.

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014

Avasculous posted:

Well there are an infinite number of universes with a Jerry. There's also an infinite number of universes without him. Bertrand Russel came up with an example* explaining this where if you have a hotel with an infinite number of rooms with an infinite amount of people in them and then one more dude shows up, everyone just moves up one room, no hassle. Same thing if an infinite amount comes in, the other infinite guests just take other rooms of the infinite hotel. Set theory gets pretty wild. Hell, if you want to get wild the council of Ricks probably contains infinite Ricks, but there are infinite Ricks who are not part of the council: hell, there are infinite councils which also have infinite Ricks in them. They'll never address it because it would be sloppy storytelling but it is technically accurate. :v:

*(Disclaimer: I am not a math major)

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008

ninjewtsu posted:

No, that was A other universe. Possibly more. Possibly half of them.

Don't forget that summer saw a bunch of alternate versions of herself being really boring in the same episode.

I'm pretty sure she only saw one other universe where she existed (playing yahtzee) and in the rest, the goggles were black because she'd never been born.

Basically I'm saying that the show had a good run but it's just unwatchable with this continuity error.

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008

ManlyGrunting posted:

Well there are an infinite number of universes with a Jerry. There's also an infinite number of universes without him. Bertrand Russel came up with an example* explaining this where if you have a hotel with an infinite number of rooms with an infinite amount of people in them and then one more dude shows up, everyone just moves up one room, no hassle. Same thing if an infinite amount comes in, the other infinite guests just take other rooms of the infinite hotel. Set theory gets pretty wild. Hell, if you want to get wild the council of Ricks probably contains infinite Ricks, but there are infinite Ricks who are not part of the council: hell, there are infinite councils which also have infinite Ricks in them. They'll never address it because it would be sloppy storytelling but it is technically accurate. :v:

*(Disclaimer: I am not a math major)

They sort of implied an answer to this when they introduced the Council, who said something about "The Central Finite Curve." That implies that while there are infinite universes, there are a finite number that are 'relevant' (because they contain Rick probably).

Rick also said after he Cronenberged the world that they could only clean slate 3 or 4 more times, tops.

EKDS5k
Feb 22, 2012

Avasculous posted:

They sort of implied an answer to this when they introduced the Council, who said something about "The Central Finite Curve." That implies that while there are infinite universes, there are a finite number that are 'relevant' (because they contain Rick probably).

Rick also said after he Cronenberged the world that they could only clean slate 3 or 4 more times, tops.

Yeah exactly. There can be infinite universes, even infinite universes containing Rick, without having every conceivable universe. Like the set of all even numbers is infinite, but you'll never find a 3.

Avasculous posted:

No they got together, but had an abortion. We only ever see alternate Ricks with a Morty (or the odd gag pairing), meaning if Beth winds up with someone, it's a Jerry.

Regardless, Beth either wound up with Jerry and a miserable alcoholic, or alone and a miserable alcoholic, due to her Rick abandoning her when she was young.

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

EKDS5k posted:

Rick's hatred of Jerry makes a lot of sense if you assume that his "made up origin story" from S03E01 is actually the truth: Our Rick wanted to give up on science to stay with his family, but then his wife and daughter were killed by at least one other Rick, forcing him into the same life. Then he started looking for a replacement, but in literally every other universe, the local Rick invented portal technology and immediately abandoned his family to go gently caress off around the multiverse. And Beth always wound up with Jerry, and had Morty and Summer. So he's torn between wanting a family, but also hating all the other Ricks and Jerries for loving up Beth. This is why he seems to care what Beth thinks, but is also okay with abandoning her to a planet of Cronenbergs and replacing her with an identical copy.

It's also what makes him the "Rickest Rick of them all," he's the only version of Rick who doesn't want to be there, he's smarter than all of them in that he saw what portal technology would do to his happiness, chose happiness, and had it ripped away anyway (by himself, no less). Ironically the stress of it all made him into an insane, suicidal alcoholic, identical to the rest of the Ricks.

Also I think it's funny to imagine that Rick is so much smarter than everyone else that he assumed he would one day be brainalysed, and wrote down a virus in the dirt that would get him out of it.

I also like this view of it because it shows why his retaliation against the Council of Ricks is so total and severe. With the Federation, he's lost friends throughout years and years as they tried to get his portal tech, losing more and more with every passing altercation until, finally, they reached his family.

With the Council, they'd taken Summer and Morty, but as he explains he has an out in that regard. Completely eliminating them, tearing them apart at such a fundamental level that they probably won't recover, is an attack of opportunity. Revenge, sweet revenge, for what he had been robbed of so many years ago. Because he sees in the Council what he would have been without his family, without his wife and daughter, and he detests it. They exist, even thrive, but they do not live. And that, squandering the pants-making GBS threads, heart-stopping joy of life after they stole it from his wife and daughter, is the greatest crime of all.

So, when an opportunity arises, he takes it. And sends two empires crashing into oblivion. Because he is the most Rick of them all.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

Avasculous posted:

Infinite universes. Even if your first statement is accurate there are still infinite universes where Jerry and Beth marry.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Because the council of Rick's seems to revolve around the Rick/Morty symbiotic (parasitic?) relationship, I've always operated under the idea that "The Central Finite Curve" is the series of universes in which conditions for both Rick & Morty are met.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

EKDS5k posted:

Yeah exactly. There can be infinite universes, even infinite universes containing Rick, without having every conceivable universe. Like the set of all even numbers is infinite, but you'll never find a 3.

No they got together, but had an abortion. We only ever see alternate Ricks with a Morty (or the odd gag pairing), meaning if Beth winds up with someone, it's a Jerry.

Regardless, Beth either wound up with Jerry and a miserable alcoholic, or alone and a miserable alcoholic, due to her Rick abandoning her when she was young.

https://youtu.be/hviPE9Dfhns

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Bust Rodd posted:

Because the council of Rick's seems to revolve around the Rick/Morty symbiotic (parasitic?) relationship, I've always operated under the idea that "The Central Finite Curve" is the series of universes in which conditions for both Rick & Morty are met.

I'm sure there are some ricks who find the council and acquire a morty there.

three
Aug 9, 2007

i fantasize about ndamukong suh licking my doodoo hole
Every week it's some new thing folks have found to be upset about. As the season progresses, treat it like a minigame to see if you can figure out what it will be before logging on to the forums.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Can someone make that Rick shooting his arm gun an avatar, but the whole thing if possible? The grabbing forever is really sad.

a cock shaped fruit
Aug 23, 2010

CelticPredator posted:

The grabbing forever is really sad.

...Hey.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It's a great gif, but it's bumming me out.

It's like life distilled in an image.

EKDS5k
Feb 22, 2012

Avasculous posted:

Bust Rodd posted:

FWIW I agree that the "Central Finite Curve" likely refers to the set of universes containing a Rick. Since they contain Rick, it's safe to assume that they're all somewhat similar in terms of history, culture, etc (because these are the conditions you'd need to produce Rick, ie, if there's an alternate history where Hitler took over, then it's likely Rick's parents may not have been born or met). Again with the odd gag set like swamp creature Rick and Morty. I think it's also worth pointing out that just because the curve itself is finite, there can still be an infinite number of universes on it, the same way 1 to 3 is a finite range, with infinite numbers in between. That's how he can make the claim that there are infinite versions of himself, his daughter, and his granddaughter.

Depending on the curve shape, I think it's likely that our Rick is dead smack in the middle of the peak, where he loves his family and wants to stay with them. Any deviation, no matter how infinitesimally downhill from that peak, results in a Rick that abandons them to go play god.

a cock shaped fruit
Aug 23, 2010

CelticPredator posted:

It's a great gif, but it's bumming me out.

It's like life distilled in an image.

I am no good at this.

Whole thing.

Shorter.

Just Rick Cybernetics and Grabbing.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The cybernetic one is good!

Here is a fantastic drawing of Noob Noob for your troubles. Signed by me

a cock shaped fruit
Aug 23, 2010

GOD
daaaaamn.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

EKDS5k posted:

FWIW I agree that the "Central Finite Curve" likely refers to the set of universes containing a Rick. Since they contain Rick, it's safe to assume that they're all somewhat similar in terms of history, culture, etc (because these are the conditions you'd need to produce Rick, ie, if there's an alternate history where Hitler took over, then it's likely Rick's parents may not have been born or met). Again with the odd gag set like swamp creature Rick and Morty. I think it's also worth pointing out that just because the curve itself is finite, there can still be an infinite number of universes on it, the same way 1 to 3 is a finite range, with infinite numbers in between. That's how he can make the claim that there are infinite versions of himself, his daughter, and his granddaughter.

Depending on the curve shape, I think it's likely that our Rick is dead smack in the middle of the peak, where he loves his family and wants to stay with them. Any deviation, no matter how infinitesimally downhill from that peak, results in a Rick that abandons them to go play god.

I've always just assumed the Central finite curve is just a bunch of universes that are easy to reach from each other. Just because there are an infinite number of universe doesn't mean that they are all equally reachable.

If that's the case, and the curve is rick'centric -which if the council of Ricks had anything to do with it, it certainly would be- then the rick at the center of the finite curve would like be just really, really average, and one of the fringes is where you would find the Rickest Rick. The other end of the curve possibly doofus Rick?

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Avasculous posted:

No, there are other universes with a summer, it's just that in every universe with a summer, Jerry and Beth's life goals get crushed.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I want to believe that the giant, skinless woman rampaging through the forest was an intentional Attack on Titan nod.

CaveGrinch
Dec 5, 2003
I'm a mean one.

Fister Roboto posted:

I want to believe that the giant, skinless woman rampaging through the forest was an intentional Attack on Titan nod.

Summer wailing in pain after being turned inside out was far more disturbing than a goddamn vagina joke.

I am gay. I have been persecuted. This is stupid.

It was an idea every male has probably thought of. That's the JOKE. It's a funny JOKE SHOW. Written by huge left wing liberals who are on your side.

You morons.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

CaveGrinch posted:

Summer wailing in pain after being turned inside out was far more disturbing than a goddamn vagina joke.

I am gay. I have been persecuted. This is stupid.

It was an idea every male has probably thought of. That's the JOKE. It's a funny JOKE SHOW. Written by huge left wing liberals who are on your side.

You morons.

Come on.

We've had people come out on various sides of this, giving their takes and making peace with it, but this rear end in a top hat's gotta ice skate uphill. Whatever your take is on it, don't call everyone an idiot for having a different opinion.

am0kgonzo
Jun 18, 2010

maskenfreiheit posted:

If they had been native american neckbeards, would it be ok?

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Argas posted:

Come on.

We've had people come out on various sides of this, giving their takes and making peace with it, but this rear end in a top hat's gotta ice skate uphill. Whatever your take is on it, don't call everyone an idiot for having a different opinion.

Everyone's an idiot for having any opinion. :bahgawd:

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008

EKDS5k posted:

FWIW I agree that the "Central Finite Curve" likely refers to the set of universes containing a Rick.

I was wondering if Harmon or Roiland had ever commented on the line:
https://www.reddit.com/r/rickandmorty/comments/6t7x4d/central_finite_curve_confirmed/

So their definition is broader and basically means "livable", which is too bad because I like the idea of Rick deciding out of hand that universes without him are pointless but using an objective-sounding term.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Avasculous posted:

I took this as an acknowledgement that the viewers would stop giving a poo poo if they did it too many times, not as something limited by possibility.

Cryophage
Jan 14, 2012

what the hell is that creepy cartoon thing in your avatar?

CelticPredator posted:

Can someone make that Rick shooting his arm gun an avatar, but the whole thing if possible? The grabbing forever is really sad.

Cryophage posted:

How long have the avatar limits been 180x180?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I want to see a whole lot less posting about posting and/or just lovely posting in general in this thread.

E-flat
Jun 22, 2007

3-flat

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Yeah I mean, I kinda did want a third round of that. If it ain't broke et al. It's not like the horror imposed by Rick or the apathy by Beth or the pathetic guilt trips from Jerry weren't well presented before. Certainly character arcs and growth are welcome but I'd rather that not be the focus of any given episode and I don't need it in monologue form. I like the season overall but the tone shift isn't really what I was looking for. If anything the juxtaposition of the really serious things happening with ricks lighthearted attitude was something I quite enjoyed and would have been happy to see more of.

Yeah, to me, a lot of the stuff people have been talking about with Rick being a toxic influence... Like, we were told that way back in Auto Erotic Assimilation. That's explicitly why Unity breaks up with Rick: he does what she does better. And hey, I'm the first to say I'm not the smartest or most observant person ever; it took me a while and couple of re-watches to actually understand Unity's break-up note (I still kinda didn't until Dr. Wong) and to start cataloging moments of character development. Because the first two season do have the light-hearted and then really serious bits that obfuscates it. You get the moments of Unity destroying a town and Rick momentarily freaking out before Unity says she evacuated the town, to which Rick starts laughing, but then goes "uh my grandkids weren't there right? a-are my grandkids alive? .... hey my drink is empty." But I enjoyed the discovery process of realizing all the stuff. I mean, Tiny Rick and Morty--Summer hadn't spent enough time with Rick to not care that he was suffering like Morty. And from A Rickle in Time, the season 3 Morty probably could've gotten time back fixed once all of him knocked all the Ricks out and all the Summers peed her pants, instead of just scratching his head and saying "I think I'm certain we're F'd in the A." That kind of in-retrospect stuff.

But I don't think it's necessarily bad thing to have some characterizations outright summarized in dialogue form. To me, they've been more "in case you haven't picked up on it yet..." than anything else. There's still moments of light-hearted and dark, I just think Rick has fully realized/accepted he's actively damaging the family and the consequent spiraling out of control is gonna need to be addressed, which they are currently doing.

Like, honestly, at the end of season 2, I really do think Rick turned himself in because of Jerry and the rest of the family's responses--he couldn't escape the effects he has on others just like he couldn't with Unity's note. I don't fully buy he intended get caught simply to destroy both the federation and council of ricks, since he could have 'gotten caught' like... any time. Instead he chose to do it at the time he did. Not that he couldn't have had those two intentions, but I've enjoyed the Rick-sometimes/secretly-cares bits that tend to correspond with the contrasting lighthearted and dark. Like in the Summer-hostage situation in the season opener, he calls her "sweetie" while doing the 'i don't care' thing (which iirc he's only ever called Beth) and gets the situation escalating to stress-rage Morty into shooting him with the fake gun. Which he gave to Morty either expecting enough of Morty to be in a cognitive state where he could see that note about it being fake, or to mollify Morty afterwards like he did in Who's Purging Now with the candybar. So he either demonstrates a higher regard for Morty's cognitive ability than he's repeatedly stated, or he cares about his grandson's feelings. He could have, after all, put nothing on the gun; but doing so allows Morty to get 'praise' for being on the uptake and/or kinda post-hoc absolve him of some of the guilt ("now we're both accountable"). It's the stuff like that I enjoy trying to puzzle over, so this season so far has still been just fine for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 201 days!
This season is amazing and hilarious, but very dark. The joke is basically "Rick is an abusive person due to alcoholism, and probably borderline personality disorder, and Jerry is getting divorced because he's a spineless wimp." When you consider that both are stand-ins for Dan Harmon and represent aspects of his self-image, it's pretty depressing.