Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Teemu Pokemon posted:

You do know that like 2 or 3 of the last 6 champs are ECAC and half the Big Ten would be struggling to break into the top half of that conference

The majority of ECAC is bad grit and grind hockey straight from the trap era. Its not a big secret ECAC is a boring defensive league for the most part. Its just not fun to watch

Give me bad B1G firewagon hockey every time

Nissin Cup Nudist fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Aug 19, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause
Teams in the top half of the country last year in...

Goals:
B1G: 4
ECAC: 4

Shots:
ECAC: 5

Total CF%
ECAC: 7

CF% Close:
ECAC: 8

Total FF%
ECAC: 7
B1G: 3

FF% Close:
ECAC: 8
B1G: 3

:thunk:

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

The top 4 or 5 teams in the ECAC don't play anything remotely close to trap hockey, and the only reason why the other 7 do is because they play in a conference with actual good teams so that's the only way they can hope to win since 2/3 of their conference doesn't give up 3.5 GPG

Harvard scored loving 4 GPG last year. Quinnipiac and Yale have been two of the fastest teams in the country the last 4 years running and their rivalry games over that span are just as good if not better than any hockey the Big Ten has literally ever played

Don't get all down on a conference you don't watch because you know in your heart that Penn State would be losing consistently to loving St. Lawrence and Princeton

Teemu Pokemon fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Aug 19, 2017

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
Not only has Big Ten hockey been unspeakably bad, but every fanbase (but Penn State) hates it for fundamental reasons unique to each school, problems that could not be fixed within the Big Ten.

Also, not only does BTN not air all three (three!) hockey games on any given night, but they will always pick the matchup with the 4th and 6th place teams in the rink with zero fans there.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

FuzzySkinner posted:

e: as a whole? The national anthem at games is kinda silly in some aspects. I think about the only genuine feeling of patriotism I've ever gotten from such a ceremony was from the Indianapolis 500 where they seemed to be sincere in honoring those that had fallen.

I don't know, the atmosphere at those first baseball games after 9 / 11 (all of that week's games were canceled, and play didn't resume until the following Monday) was pretty electric, especially in New York.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Timby posted:

I don't know, the atmosphere at those first baseball games after 9 / 11 (all of that week's games were canceled, and play didn't resume until the following Monday) was pretty electric, especially in New York.

I just want God Bless America to go away.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Bird in a Blender posted:

I just want God Bless America to go away.

Same. Though thankfully the Brewers only do it on Sunday.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
God Bless America sucks as a song. The only thing that sucks worse is the loving Lee Greenwood song.

The continued non-use of America the Beautiful as a patriotic song is a travesty. The only sporting event I've ever been to that plays it is Notre Dame football home games where they play it as the flag is raised.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
The Lee Greenwood song is not just the worst song in terms of patriotic song, but is the worst song among all songs

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

one of the many benefits of being Canadian is not having to listen to that dumb song during the 7th inning stretch. When I go to games in the USA I can't believe they do that. It's a garbage song and should be replaced with OK-BLUEJAYS-LETS PLAY BALL or other songs of the like.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

BWV posted:

one of the many benefits of being Canadian is not having to listen to that dumb song during the 7th inning stretch. When I go to games in the USA I can't believe they do that. It's a garbage song and should be replaced with OK-BLUEJAYS-LETS PLAY BALL or other songs of the like.

Are you seriously poo poo talking Take Me Out To The Ballgame? Because that's what it sounds like.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

I'm fairly certain every single major league baseball team plays a second song after take me out to the ballgame. It's pretty apparent he's poo poo talking God Bless America

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

The brewers play take me out and roll out the barrel

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Teemu Pokemon posted:

I'm fairly certain every single major league baseball team plays a second song after take me out to the ballgame. It's pretty apparent he's poo poo talking God Bless America

I'm 90% sure the Yankees are the only ones who do God Bless America in the 7th.

edit: unless it's a holiday or something idk

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

Almost every team does it on Sundays

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

Teemu Pokemon posted:

Almost every team does it on Sundays

oh poo poo. i guess all the games ive gone to in the states were on Sundays. I just assumed they did it everyday.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
The Mariners play Louie Louie which is even lamer than God Bless America

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

i love rolling out the goddamn barrel at brewers games

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

R.D. Mangles posted:

i love rolling out the goddamn barrel at brewers games

Packers too, as I learned.

And Michigan Tech hockey.

AsInHowe fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Aug 19, 2017

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun
god bless america gives me traumatic flashbacks to going to public school in texas

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
Not that college hockey is popular but count me in as a person who says the Big 10 destroyed my love of it. The WCHA was quality. It hosed up some of minnesotas best rivalry games and it's too small a conference. gently caress the big 10. No one I know from Minnesota is happy about it and it's harder to watch the games too.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Really, you can thank Barry Alvarez for what the Big Ten did to hockey.

marioinblack
Sep 21, 2007

Number 1 Bullshit
The last O's game I went do did This Land is Your Land which owns.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/nydnraiss/status/899293106213978114

thank god

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

The Indians play Hang on Sloopy (the OSU not-fight song) after Take Me Out to the Ballgame before the bottom of the 7th. Browns, Cavs, and the Monsters all play it too at some point during their games. It's literally like a State Anthem, and I hate it.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Hockles posted:

The Indians play Hang on Sloopy (the OSU not-fight song) after Take Me Out to the Ballgame before the bottom of the 7th. Browns, Cavs, and the Monsters all play it too at some point during their games. It's literally like a State Anthem, and I hate it.

Yeah i'm almost positive it's the official State Song or something.

E: yep

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

God bless Indians radio man Tom Hamilton for pulling "BUNT-OFF WIN" out of thin air

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

so espn's robert lee was scheduled to work the virginia game opening weekend

not anymore

https://twitter.com/eric_hobeck/status/900163469785346048

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Vertical Lime posted:

so espn's robert lee was scheduled to work the virginia game opening weekend

not anymore

https://twitter.com/eric_hobeck/status/900163469785346048

I saw this on Twitter and thought someone was just joking. That is really the reason he isn't calling the game?

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Niwrad posted:

I saw this on Twitter and thought someone was just joking. That is really the reason he isn't calling the game?
Yes. It's been verified by multiple places now. This is the world we live in.

Also: Live call-in TV is never a good idea

Also:

https://twitter.com/BobLeyESPN/status/900192529672491009

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
Why would you do that? No one wanted it. No one cared. No one would have been angry if they didn't. It's some South Park-level "oops everything is offensive now are you happy, liberal snowflakes?"

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Niwrad posted:

I think I kinda buy Deadspin's take on it. ESPN noticed some low level announcer (after all he's calling UVA football) that people would make bad jokes and memes about on twitter and thought "hey, we don't want to be the butt of dumb jokes." They thought no one would notice if they just changed the game he was calling up. Would you notice if whoever was scheduled to call some Rice/UTEP game was changed over to a North Texas game weeks before it happened?

ESPN didn't tell anyone, if they were grandstanding they absolutely would have and they just tried to slip it under the radar instead. Then someone told Clay Travis, and Clay Travis Clay Travised about it and forced it into an issue ESPN never saw coming.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
https://twitter.com/yashar/status/900219648473522178

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Grittybeard posted:

I think I kinda buy Deadspin's take on it. ESPN noticed some low level announcer (after all he's calling UVA football) that people would make bad jokes and memes about on twitter and thought "hey, we don't want to be the butt of dumb jokes." They thought no one would notice if they just changed the game he was calling up. Would you notice if whoever was scheduled to call some Rice/UTEP game was changed over to a North Texas game weeks before it happened?

ESPN didn't tell anyone, if they were grandstanding they absolutely would have and they just tried to slip it under the radar instead. Then someone told Clay Travis, and Clay Travis Clay Travised about it and forced it into an issue ESPN never saw coming.

Yeah the fact that anyone even noticed the change of announcer on an internet only game no one will watch makes me think that they're right and it probably was going to be A Thing either way, although it's probably true that the current performative outrage from the Clay Travises of the world is a lot worse than whatever jokey screencaps would have arisen if they'd left it alone.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Aug 23, 2017

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

That is a really really good response.

Cash Monet
Apr 5, 2009

Never mind that poo poo, here comes Russillo.

http://deadspin.com/espn-radio-host-ryen-russillo-arrested-in-wyoming-for-m-1798347475

quote:

Two people were asleep in the condo when they heard someone come in. They didn’t know the man and asked him to leave because he was drunk, according to reports. Police arrived a few minutes later.

“Occupants pointed the suspect out who was found in a bedroom,” Jackson Police Lt. Roger Schultz said.

Russillo, of West Hartford, Connecticut, reportedly had bloodshot eyes and slurred speech.

“He couldn’t coherently answer any questions,” Schultz said.

:lol:

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

John Skipper must be happy; that's a termination for cause if I ever saw one, so he not only gets to ax another job off the payroll, but he gets to do it without a buyout or severance package.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Cox Communications (Nevada's dominant cable provider) isn't picking up AT&T SportsNet Rocky Mountain, the channel the Vegas Golden Knights are going to be on.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

https://www.broadstreethockey.com/2017/8/23/16189704/csn-philly-nbc-sports-philadelphia-rebrand

All the CSN City are now NBC Sports City

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

lmao that's some college level drunk antics, he's how old now?