Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
Come on, we know how this movie is going to play out: (perhaps not in this exact order)

--Tropical Storm/Hurricane is going to gently caress poo poo up

--Trump botches the response

--Blames everyone but himself, including but not limited to: Democrats, Mitch McConnell, John McCain, fake news media

--Gives a tame teleprompter speech in which he says mostly the right things but then completely negates it by being a complete lunatic at another speech

--His base still supports him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016

coyo7e posted:

Aka levee improvements?

I mean, yeah basically

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

SirPablo posted:

NOAA can run just fine without a head, honestly. It, really the NWS, routinely handles weather events every day.

I'd say the bigger impact is not having an advocate for funding. That has hurt the agency in the long run.

Reminder, weather.gov is great and you should use it.

edit: wunderground is also good. I'm sure goons have some other good weather sites/apps, post your favorite/recommendations.

Don't use weather.com, because they do clickbait,/name all big storm bullshit. Don't use accueweather because it's owned by a libertarian poo poo that wants to make an entire licensing and accreditation system for things like thermometers.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

PhazonLink posted:

edit: wunderground is also good. I'm sure goons have some other good weather sites/apps, post your favorite/recommendations.

Don't use weather.com, because they do clickbait,/name all big storm bullshit. Don't use accueweather because it's owned by a libertarian poo poo that wants to make an entire licensing and accreditation system for things like thermometers.

Ugh, the site is loving hideous, though.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

PhazonLink posted:

Pretty much this. The weather channel sucks and is bad. Seconding weather.gov.

I'll take your word for it on accuweather. I don't know anything about that site or its owners.

Although isn't that "Name the big winter storm" thing an idea of the National Weather Service to make people think of them like hurricanes and take them more seriously?

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Your Taint posted:

Come on, we know how this movie is going to play out: (perhaps not in this exact order)

--Tropical Storm/Hurricane is going to gently caress poo poo up

--Trump botches the response

--Blames everyone but himself, including but not limited to: Democrats, Mitch McConnell, John McCain, fake news media

--Gives a tame teleprompter speech in which he says mostly the right things but then completely negates it by being a complete lunatic at another speech

--His base still supports him.

I hope he personally blames Mitch.

Or picks a random NeverTrumper out of a hat. Susan Collins made Galveston fall into the ocean!

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
MORE INDISPUTABLE PROOF I AM BAD AT POSTING
---------------->

achillesforever6 posted:

As a Catholic it amazes me how much of its problems could be solved with common sense/decency and that making said changes wouldn't cause the collapse or destroy the institution. Like what's so hard with allowing priests to marry, don't hide/protect the pedophile priests, focus on poverty not abortion, and not being poo poo against LGBT people?

Catholics came out of the Great Depression /overwhelmingly/ Dem. Kennedy was in part a result of this. Notre Dame (on back channels) backed the Kennedy run, and spent their time fighting the myth that a catholic president would accept orders from the papacy. Then, in 1980, Notre Dame lined up behind The Gipper - actor Ronald Reagan of 'Knute Rockne American Hero' fame. The catholics and the GOP conspired, established their 'pro-family' nonsense (just say no to drugs, abortion is murder, etc). The effort worked. Catholics are now split between die-hard dems - and one-issue Knights of Columbus-style voters.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

boner confessor posted:

institutions that persist based on a thousand years of tradition and orthodoxy don't permit change very often, it's one of the prerequisites for their existence. in the US the gay friendly catholic-lite sect are the Episcopalians
True, if only I was Pope :catholic:

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

:lol:

https://twitter.com/thehill/status/900471225566334976

This hadn't even crossed my mind.

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug

PhazonLink posted:

Don't use accueweather because it's owned by a libertarian poo poo that wants to make an entire licensing and accreditation system for things like thermometers.

Hey, guess who is rumored to be a strong contender to be the new head of NOAA! (Seriously)

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug

Your Taint posted:

Although isn't that "Name the big winter storm" thing an idea of the National Weather Service to make people think of them like hurricanes and take them more seriously?

No, that was entirely done by The Weather Channel. Primarily as a marketing gimmick but they also claim to raise awareness. Oddly no one else in the weather industry has followed their lead...

Red Baron
Mar 9, 2007

ty slumfrog :)

Lead out in cuffs posted:

I like how they're planning on holding this rally right in front of a Civil War-era Union fort.

"Remember the alimo" part 2, I swear the obsession with lovely reboots is over the top at this point.

Your Taint posted:

Pretty much this. The weather channel sucks and is bad. Seconding weather.gov.

I'll take your word for it on accuweather. I don't know anything about that site or its owners.

As long as you don't take my Dark Sky idgaf. That app is loving wizardry with its accuracy.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen
Do we know if they intend to hold an on-camera press briefing again anytime soon? It's been at least 3 weeks.

Milosh
Oct 14, 2000
Forum Veteran

PhazonLink posted:

Pony up some cash and use Dark Sky.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

PhazonLink posted:

Wait I don't understand. He's a libertarian, but he wants more bureaucracy and regulation of his industry? What's the angle?

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

mango sentinel posted:

I know why he's not getting arrested but what's the cop's excuse? Get him to answer on camera.

"Uh, he was white?"

*gets promoted to death*

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Quick note that wunderground was bought by The Weather Channel, which in turn was bought by IBM. Jeff Masters, WU founder and hurricane expert, is still around but is kind of fading in prominence.

Red Baron
Mar 9, 2007

Milosh posted:

Pony up some cash and use Dark Sky.

Preach it, friend. I'll say it again: it's magic, demonic possession, a fold in space and time, something amazing. My average gap between it telling me rain is about to start falling on my head and the actual timeline convergence is about five minutes and I'm not sure I've ever seen it be completely wrong.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

And people look at me weird when I try to tell them that they should remember at all times when dealing with Americans, that Americans are really loving dumb.

Milosh
Oct 14, 2000
Forum Veteran

Red Baron posted:

Preach it, friend. I'll say it again: it's magic, demonic possession, a fold in space and time, something amazing. My average gap between it telling me rain is about to start falling on my head and the actual timeline convergence is about five minutes and I'm not sure I've ever seen it be completely wrong.

My wife doubts me but it's never wrong.

Dark Sky for head of NOAA

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Ogmius815 posted:

Wait I don't understand. He's a libertarian, but he wants more bureaucracy and regulation of his industry? What's the angle?

He will make money on the proprietary regulation.

Libertarians are lying hypocrites who only care about money.

1-800-DOCTORB
Nov 6, 2009

Lightning Lord posted:

There is absolutely a FEMA director but it speaks volumes that people keep repeating the idea that he hasn't nominated one yet.

But why do we have a FEMA director with nano augmentations? Doesn't he just work behind a desk in Washington?

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
---------------->

Lightning Lord posted:

He will make money on the proprietary regulation.

Libertarians are lying hypocrites who only care about money.

That's an unfair stereotype. Most Libertarians are honest hypocrites who only care about money.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Uglycat posted:

That's an unfair stereotype. Most Libertarians are honest hypocrites who only care about money.

and weed

Serfer
Mar 10, 2003

The piss tape is real

And denying service to black people

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009
And keeping women out of mah vidjagames.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i can never tell if these people legitimately believe these or are such tribal shitheads they just give that answer knowing it's impossible.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
https://www.buzzfeed.com/ryanhatesthis/you-can-release-your-great-all-inside-me-daddy?utm_term=.aimzBJoK8#.qnDmW90oX

It takes awhile to get the real punch of this article but it's a pro read.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

great, so the government is gonna shut down over border wall funding for sure now

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Serfer posted:

And denying service to black people

Reminder, about the newly legal pot industry, for some reason non whites with a lot of "experience" can't get jobs, but whites can for some reason.

Red Baron
Mar 9, 2007

Milosh posted:

My wife doubts me but it's never wrong.

Dark Sky for head of NOAA

I have long awaited our AI overlords, hail to the transistor! I only hope to be first in line for a kickass robot body so I can bunnyhop endlessly in real life just like in my MMOs.

Appointing AI as heads of government agencies is a pretty "run the government like a business" move, Trump might actually be on board with that.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I'm hearing people say that trump signed some saudi arabian arms deal really recently? I thought the 'arms deal' he signed with saudi arabia was largely informal commitments to consider arms deals that they tallied up arbitrarily to give trump a win?

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

Groovelord Neato posted:

i can never tell if these people legitimately believe these or are such tribal shitheads they just give that answer knowing it's impossible.

They're serious. People are loving morons.

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
---------------->

empty whippet box posted:

great, so the government is gonna shut down over border wall funding for sure now

https://youtu.be/dWvCCxOUsM8

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

empty whippet box posted:

I'm hearing people say that trump signed some saudi arabian arms deal really recently? I thought the 'arms deal' he signed with saudi arabia was largely informal commitments to consider arms deals that they tallied up arbitrarily to give trump a win?

Several months ago he agreed to sell $110 billion in weapons to the Saudi government.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/jdawsey1/status/900482760795729920

Gosh, I wonder why he's so upset over those...

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

The younger generation polls more liberal than any in history.

That's what they said when I was in my teens during Reagan. When will these 30+ years of most liberal people in history outnumber the people who keep electing republican presidents?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Lumpy posted:

That's what they said when I was in my teens during Reagan. When will these 30+ years of most liberal people in history outnumber the people who keep electing republican presidents?

republicans have won the popular vote one out of the last six presidential elections

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Hi trump thread is it normal for a sitting US president to keep having campaign trail rallies like trump is doing or is it another symptom of him being unhinged from reality and wanting to live in a bubble where everyone thinks he's a cool dude?

I've never paid attention before so I don't know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Your Taint posted:

They're serious. People are loving morons.

but, like, it's impossible.

History Comes Inside! posted:

Hi trump thread is it normal for a sitting US president to keep having campaign trail rallies like trump is doing or is it another symptom of him being unhinged from reality and wanting to live in a bubble where everyone thinks he's a cool dude?

it is abnormal to an insane degree.

• Locked thread