Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Endless Mike posted:

Does this S-Pen get stuck if you put it in the wrong way?

FLARED BASE PEOPLE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

How do I hide this stupid annoying "X APPS ARE RUNNING IN BACKGROUND" persistent notification on 8.0?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

CLAM DOWN posted:

How do I hide this stupid annoying "X APPS ARE RUNNING IN BACKGROUND" persistent notification on 8.0?

I don't have that notification and I'm on 8.0, do you have a janitor app installed?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I have it too. I've got Llama, strongSwan, and SwipePad in the background.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

FAUXTON posted:

I don't have that notification and I'm on 8.0, do you have a janitor app installed?

No, of course not, it's me you're talking to. It's actually brand new fresh install of my other Pixel.

e: oh goddammit, it's this: http://www.androidauthority.com/android-o-developer-preview-3-useful-annoying-notification-apps-background-778701/

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

CLAM DOWN posted:

No, of course not, it's me you're talking to. It's actually brand new fresh install of my other Pixel.

e: oh goddammit, it's this: http://www.androidauthority.com/android-o-developer-preview-3-useful-annoying-notification-apps-background-778701/

It pops up a notification saying two apps are running in the background and both of those apps also have notifications? What the gently caress? Also what is going on with that spotify notification, it looks like poo poo

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Oh it's the developer preview helpfully providing something relevant to developers

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

The best you can do is long press it, go to all categories, then scroll down and click to the left of the background app line (great ux there) and select the lowest priority

At least then it's not in the tray all the time

It's dumb, I thought I was the only one complaining about it but I guess not many here tried the beta

e: oh at least in the final version you can click anywhere and not just on the far left

Skarsnik fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Aug 23, 2017

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I have still not seen this thing on 8.0, what's apps are doing it?

The real solution is to bug their developers to code their apps properly so they don't need to run the full drat app in the background.

The example in that article was LastPass, but my LastPass doesn't do that.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

bull3964 posted:

I have still not seen this thing on 8.0, what's apps are doing it?

The real solution is to bug their developers to code their apps properly so they don't need to run the full drat app in the background.

There are plenty of apps that need to run in the background

Anything casting does it for example

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Skarsnik posted:

It's helpful to know what is running in the background if the app you're developing is interacting poorly with it. Hoping it results in everyone calling Facebook out for being an ever-expanding resource hog.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

What a dumb feature.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

FAUXTON posted:

Oh it's the developer preview helpfully providing something relevant to developers

You're being really stupid. It's not the developer preview, this is the 8.0 public release that came out this week. That "feature" is not just in the DP, it's in the public release. And it's really pointless and annoying for someone like me, and should be able to be disabled.

e: It also doesn't show Facebook, ever. Stop being stupid.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

FAUXTON posted:

It's helpful to know what is running in the background if the app you're developing is interacting poorly with it. Hoping it results in everyone calling Facebook out for being an ever-expanding resource hog.

Yep, just like it could be handy to know if an app was drawing over others, which also had a permanent notification during the beta

But then they give you an option to turn it off (per app too) , which they really need to do for background apps too

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

CLAM DOWN posted:

You're being really stupid. It's not the developer preview, this is the 8.0 public release that came out this week. That "feature" is not just in the DP, it's in the public release. And it's really pointless and annoying for someone like me, and should be able to be disabled.

You seem like an angry person.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

MikeJF posted:

clam down

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

MikeJF posted:

Yes, calling someone out for posting stupid things actually means I'm seething with rage irl, I'm barely able to type at the moment, I'm shaking so badly that poop is leaking out

Cakebaker
Jul 23, 2007
Wanna buy some cake?

Blue Train posted:

You want something like this

https://gist.github.com/bjoernQ/6975256

And then just have it not react to touch events

Awesome! Feeling dumb now, I was vaguely aware of overlays/"draw over other apps" being a thing that exists, and if they couldn't intercept touch they'd obviously be pretty useless. Easy! Big up.

Even if I manage to stick with stock ROM I should prob still root the phone and clean it up a bit though, right? Dat mem pressure... even with 3 GB.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Skarsnik posted:

But I haven't seen that notification for anything like that. I just fired up Google Play Music, hit play, and moved on to something else and the only notification is the audio controls. There's no notification that Google Play Music is running in the background.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Cakebaker posted:

Awesome! Feeling dumb now, I was vaguely aware of overlays/"draw over other apps" being a thing that exists, and if they couldn't intercept touch they'd obviously be pretty useless. Easy! Big up.

Even if I manage to stick with stock ROM I should prob still root the phone and clean it up a bit though, right? Dat mem pressure... even with 3 GB.

I dunno what all comes installed on it but if there's bloat it can't hurt to remove it, rooting will let you block ads without a vpn as well

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

bull3964 posted:

But I haven't seen that notification for anything like that. I just fired up Google Play Music, hit play, and moved on to something else and the only notification is the audio controls. There's no notification that Google Play Music is running in the background.

I'm not sure what makes it appear. You're right, it doesn't appear for Play Music, Facebook, Snapchat, and they're all there in the background receiving notifications, etc. I noticed it appear for GSam Battery Monitor, which is explicitly set to disable notification icons, no widget, etc.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Rooting also lets you use substratum which is nice if you like themes

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

I get it for Facebook messenger when there is a chat head open, soundcloud, Eurosport casting, vimeo casting, wwe app casting, etc etc..

Llama too but that's ancient so if there is a better way of doing it it's hardly likely to be on it

e: oh, and Google play music when it is casting :rolleyes:

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

CLAM DOWN posted:

I'm running the public release and do not have that notification, go do some yoga or some poo poo.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Skarsnik posted:

I get it for Facebook messenger when there is a chat head open, soundcloud, Eurosport casting, vimeo casting, wwe app casting, etc etc..

Llama too but that's ancient so if there is a better way of doing it it's hardly likely to be on it

e: oh, and Google play music when it is casting :rolleyes:

This is insane

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Also why did they move the date under the quick settings? It looks bad

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I'm running public release and have that notification

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Blue Train posted:

This is insane

Yes

But see my post a few above so you can mostly hide it

They'll give an option like they did for draw overs in an update I imagine

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

FAUXTON posted:

I'm running the public release and do not have that notification, go do some yoga or some poo poo.

Congrats, it definitely still exists and is a thing in the public release.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Blue Train posted:

Also why did they move the date under the quick settings? It looks bad

This and the settings gear, they're in kind of awkward positions now since you risk bonking a notification when you mean to go into settings.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

CLAM DOWN posted:

That's dumb; it was there for me in DP3 and gone in DP4. Sorry goon.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

FAUXTON posted:

This and the settings gear, they're in kind of awkward positions now since you risk bonking a notification when you mean to go into settings.

Yea it's bad placement

Tivac
Feb 18, 2003

No matter how things may seem to change, never forget who you are

CLAM DOWN posted:

Yeah, I see it permanently because I run NetGuard. Tried going into "All Categories" and setting "Apps running in background" to Low Importance but it doesn't really change anything, the permanent notification is still there.

:sigh:

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

It's like we forget how Version X.0 of every OS release is for any OS whatever it is.

The excitement of that shiny new OS version vs the unfixed bugs between beta/official that seem to always slip through is the chance we take.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Cakebaker posted:

Blue Train posted:

I dunno what all comes installed on it but if there's bloat it can't hurt to remove it, rooting will let you block ads without a vpn as well

Blue Train posted:

Rooting also lets you use substratum which is nice if you like themes

The OP posted:

Rooting
Rooting a device allows a user to access and modify system level files and permissions in addition to installing entirely custom versions of Android. Sound neat? Super. Talk about it somewhere else.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

I'm too cool for rules sucka

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
I get the background notification when I pause a podcast in Beyondpod from the widget or notification.

Tivac
Feb 18, 2003

No matter how things may seem to change, never forget who you are

Tivac posted:

Yeah, I see it permanently because I run NetGuard. Tried going into "All Categories" and setting "Apps running in background" to Low Importance but it doesn't really change anything, the permanent notification is still there.

:sigh:

Ugh ugh ugh.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Tivac posted:

Ugh ugh ugh.

Yeah, I get why they did it, but it really should be able to be dismissed or hidden in some way. The apps running in the background for me are apps I'm fully aware of and want running in the background, I don't need a permanent reminder of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

CLAM DOWN posted:

Yeah, I get why they did it, but it really should be able to be dismissed or hidden in some way. The apps running in the background for me are apps I'm fully aware of and want running in the background, I don't need a permanent reminder of it.

I'm these screenshots the background app already has a drat notification that it is running