Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

enojy posted:

Nah, Diablo 3 was good
The initial release with server-side calculation of hits or whatever the gently caress was going on turned me off of that poo poo fast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

enojy posted:

Nah, Diablo 3 was good, just polarizing for D2 fans. I liked it quite a bit, my friend that I played tons of D2 with hated it.

I thought D3 was a much better experience on console. On PC it was more boring Diablo action, only with the "bonus" of your account getting stolen occasionally. On console, it was like playing Gauntlet, only better. Which owned.

I guess I"m stuck waiting to see on launch day about the SNES Classic. I plan on modding it anyways, so if I don't get one right away it's not the end of the world.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

TheChirurgeon posted:

I thought D3 was a much better experience on console. On PC it was more boring Diablo action, only with the "bonus" of your account getting stolen occasionally. On console, it was like playing Gauntlet, only better. Which owned.

I guess I"m stuck waiting to see on launch day about the SNES Classic. I plan on modding it anyways, so if I don't get one right away it's not the end of the world.

See I want to mod it, basically make it the complete SNES library, if possible. However, considering how cheap building a retropie is/just playing it on my PC; a part of me is wondering if it's really worth tinkering around with it (since it's not easily replaceable).

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse

anglachel posted:

Something like the PS1 would cost more to make by a good bit. The storage requirements for NES, SNES, and even N64 titles is relatively tiny. A tiny rear end Flash drive could handle all your storage requirements. Meanwhile PS1 games usually filled up a CD, (and many of the iconic games took several). While it's not backbreaking to handle the storage, it's still way more than what Nintendo has to pay for what even a hypothetical N64 emulator would cost for storage. Also unlike Nintento all the iconic titles for the Playstation were 3rd party. Thats alot of contracts and alot of pieces of the pie that would have to get split. God knows what Square would want for any of the Final Fantasies.

You're probably right about the third-party contracts, sadly. I think the storage requirements are oversold though. Not every PS1 game took up the entire CD. I think the multi-CD games would take up less space than the full capacity of each CD too as they probably split things across each CD without necessarily being about to fill each one. Even in that case, 32GB flash drives are less than $10 retail these days. The raw flash chips would need to be cheaper for them to be able to make a profit on those at all. Assuming 2GB for OS and formatting, and 30GB for storage that would mean roughly 50*600MB images could be stored. In the early early days you could only get 550-600MB per disc anyways. That should be enough for 20 or 30 games, even including some multi-disc games like Final Fantasy. Again, assuming contracts were possible without breaking the bank.

Slanderer posted:

You don't know anything about how consumer electronics are designed and manufactured lol

Eh, I'm making educated guesses. Do you have any relevant experience to add? If so, I'll defer.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

enojy posted:

Nah, Diablo 3 was good, just polarizing for D2 fans. I liked it quite a bit, my friend that I played tons of D2 with hated it.

It's because it was a lovely remake of D2.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

I think it's tacky to mod 700 games on there and wade through pages upon pages of shovelware every time you turn it on. IMO the best way to mod a NES/SNES classic is to round out the collection with the best of what's missing, not go overboard.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Nullsmack posted:

You're probably right about the third-party contracts, sadly. I think the storage requirements are oversold though. Not every PS1 game took up the entire CD. I think the multi-CD games would take up less space than the full capacity of each CD too as they probably split things across each CD without necessarily being about to fill each one. Even in that case, 32GB flash drives are less than $10 retail these days. The raw flash chips would need to be cheaper for them to be able to make a profit on those at all. Assuming 2GB for OS and formatting, and 30GB for storage that would mean roughly 50*600MB images could be stored. In the early early days you could only get 550-600MB per disc anyways. That should be enough for 20 or 30 games, even including some multi-disc games like Final Fantasy. Again, assuming contracts were possible without breaking the bank.

Eh, I'm making educated guesses. Do you have any relevant experience to add? If so, I'll defer.

I don't think it'd be a big deal to do a 160GB or 250GB hard drive, and those are dirt cheap by now. It's rights that are a problem for other manufacturers to do classic editions.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Supercar Gautier posted:

I think it's tacky to mod 700 games on there and wade through pages upon pages of shovelware every time you turn it on. IMO the best way to mod a NES/SNES classic is to round out the collection with the best of what's missing, not go overboard.

Agree. I'm only gonna add good games like DKC2, Chrono Trigger and the Soul Blazer trilogy. I want mine to look like it's filled with stuff that doesn't stand out from what's on there officially. No NHL '94 or some poo poo.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Supercar Gautier posted:

This makes perfect sense, but there is just something magical about the complete library with all the covers and metadata populating...I probably spend too much time on that vs playing games.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Supercar Gautier posted:

What is the best of what is missing? I've been meaning to finally take mine out of the box, mod it and add the cream of the crop. Other than Battletoads and Baseball Stars, I don't know what to add. Mr Gimmick?

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

godfuckindammit i was at work when all the preorders went live.

otoh i was kinda considering getting a super famicom classic instead anyhow so i guess if i can't get a snes classic on launch day i'll just do that. it'll match nicely with the super famicom i already own.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Waltzing Along posted:

What is the best of what is missing? I've been meaning to finally take mine out of the box, mod it and add the cream of the crop. Other than Battletoads and Baseball Stars, I don't know what to add. Mr Gimmick?

Gunsmoke owns.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Waltzing Along posted:

battletoads is a game that is infamous for being stupidly hard in all the wrong ways. it was never a great or even a good game, and sure as gently caress not 'cream of the crop'.

if you want to put a good rare game on there put snake rattle 'n roll, which still has some issues but is loving leaps and bounds better than that lovely beat-em-up that nobody in the history of ever actually liked.

DEEP STATE PLOT fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Aug 23, 2017

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Waltzing Along posted:

Contra (get out of here with this Super Contra stuff)
Duck Tales is good too

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

Nullsmack posted:

PCA design for the actual unit is dictated by a whole bunch of factors. Even if they decide to use the same basic schematic more-or-less (treating it as a "platform"), they'd likely have changes to make it cheaper to manufacture, or iterative improvement. In my line of work, these improvements would be based on failures found during production and in the field; if you are able to solve a problem that affects 0.1% of units on the production line and requires them to be pulled off for rework, you are saving money. And I could see them changing the bill of materials just to try to work-around any supplier bottlenecks they might have run into last time. And of course, they might switch to a completely different SoC for technical reasons alone.

The PCA they have in the NES mini seems somewhat flexible in that only the micro USB + hdmi ports are on board (I could be wrong, though--I didn't look at this stuff closely), and it has the other inputs on a daughterboard (or two? again, didnt look closely), so different daughterboards could potentially be connected. Still, the board shape itself can be a constraint, and if they are making any other changes than there is no reason for that not to be redesigned too--in this quantity, all of this engineering work is pretty cheap. For normal products, mechanical engineering and electrical engineering are done in tandem, if you want the cheapest product; otherwise, you have design constraints that you have to work around. Reuse of PCB designs in multiple products is usually done when you have multiple versions of the same product that you assemble into different PCAs, or if you are selling niche hardware in low quantities, or if you are a shady Chinese manufacturer that is selling a hacked together piece of crap.

The controller PCA needs to be redesigned however, and for a pretty simple reason---the PCB itself dictates button layout. This is actually a good example of how the electrical and mechanical design is done together--the exterior design of the controller dictates which buttons it has, and where they are placed. All the buttons are located on 1 plane, so the cheapest solution is 1 PCA inside the controller with exposed pads for each of the soft buttons (I can't remember the name for these guys). Then you add in the hardware to check all buttons + the switch (maybe just an I2C i/o multiplexer, or something more customized) and you're done! But the SNES controller is completely different, so they design a new one. The current hardware works fine, though, so it will probably look very similar.

EDIT: definitions:
PCB - printed circuit board (just your standard, boring multilayer FR4 fiberglass circuit board)
PCA - printed circuit assemble (the board + the components on the board + sometimes anything connected to the board by soldered lead wires)

Slanderer fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Aug 23, 2017

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

I've got a case of malt liquor stashed in the trunk, Mr. Marvin Gaye on the CD. We are gonna get all the way down.

SeANMcBAY posted:

No NHL '94 or some poo poo.

NHL Stanley Cup on the SNES was badass. :colbert:

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Supercar Gautier posted:

You never know, somebody might really want to play Where's Waldo on the NES or Bebe's Kids on the SNES.

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

i'm gonna hack my snes classic to put brett hull hockey on it

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Mercury Crusader posted:

You never know, somebody might really want to play Where's Waldo on the NES or Bebe's Kids on the SNES.

i'd mod in all the games i remember renting as a kid. garbage like home alone and chester cheetah.

i'd also put top gear 2000 on there because it is to date the only game i ever owned that i don't have anymore and i legit do not know what the gently caress happened to it or where it went and it was an awesome game.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Super Slap Shot or nothing :colbert:

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Mercury Crusader posted:

My daughter had legit fun playing Thomas.

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

Chrono Trigger and DK2 are the worst omissions from SNES classic but I also really wish it had Zombies Ate My Neighbors.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

So if my order status on Borderfree is "confirmed", am I good? Did I score my SNES? :ohdear:

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

I FUCK LINEN IN MY SPARE TIME!
Grimey Drawer
Needs Frantic Flea, Dino City, and James Pond tbh.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Supercar Gautier posted:

Same. I don't want Super Pictionary or whatever the gently caress on there; I'd do exactly what you're suggesting and round it out with the top games that didn't make the cut.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Snuffman posted:

So if my order status on Borderfree is "confirmed", am I good? Did I score my SNES? :ohdear:

Does this site also sell booze and cigars?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Axetrain posted:

Chrono Trigger and DK2 are the worst omissions from SNES classic but I also really wish it had Zombies Ate My Neighbors.

Secret of Mana was a better choice because of the co-op. DKC over DKC2 because if you're going to have a Donkey Kong game on there, they probably want one that actually stars Donkey Kong.

For me the biggest omission is Pilotwings.

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

I've got a case of malt liquor stashed in the trunk, Mr. Marvin Gaye on the CD. We are gonna get all the way down.

Turtles in Time is also a required omission.

Airspace
Nov 5, 2010

financially racist posted:

i'd mod in all the games i remember renting as a kid. garbage like home alone and chester cheetah.

drat, now I really want one to mod in Cool Spot.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

B.O.B. :colbert:

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Tetris Attack is a required game too

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

canyoneer posted:

Tetris Attack is a required game too
Japan's SFC Classic is actually getting this (Panel de Pon)

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

MazelTovCocktail posted:

Does this site also sell booze and cigars?

Maybe? They're Target's online Canada facing side.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Having all those lovely games on there is amazing when you're baked or drink with some people and just want to laugh at some bad poo poo some nerds programmed twenty five years ago

Who out there though the Home Improvement game was a surefire idea

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse

Slanderer posted:

PCA design for the actual unit is dictated by a whole bunch of factors. Even if they decide to use the same basic schematic more-or-less (treating it as a "platform"), they'd likely have changes to make it cheaper to manufacture, or iterative improvement. In my line of work, these improvements would be based on failures found during production and in the field; if you are able to solve a problem that affects 0.1% of units on the production line and requires them to be pulled off for rework, you are saving money. And I could see them changing the bill of materials just to try to work-around any supplier bottlenecks they might have run into last time. And of course, they might switch to a completely different SoC for technical reasons alone.

The PCA they have in the NES mini seems somewhat flexible in that only the micro USB + hdmi ports are on board (I could be wrong, though--I didn't look at this stuff closely), and it has the other inputs on a daughterboard (or two? again, didnt look closely), so different daughterboards could potentially be connected. Still, the board shape itself can be a constraint, and if they are making any other changes than there is no reason for that not to be redesigned too--in this quantity, all of this engineering work is pretty cheap. For normal products, mechanical engineering and electrical engineering are done in tandem, if you want the cheapest product; otherwise, you have design constraints that you have to work around. Reuse of PCB designs in multiple products is usually done when you have multiple versions of the same product that you assemble into different PCAs, or if you are selling niche hardware in low quantities, or if you are a shady Chinese manufacturer that is selling a hacked together piece of crap.

The controller PCA needs to be redesigned however, and for a pretty simple reason---the PCB itself dictates button layout. This is actually a good example of how the electrical and mechanical design is done together--the exterior design of the controller dictates which buttons it has, and where they are placed. All the buttons are located on 1 plane, so the cheapest solution is 1 PCA inside the controller with exposed pads for each of the soft buttons (I can't remember the name for these guys). Then you add in the hardware to check all buttons + the switch (maybe just an I2C i/o multiplexer, or something more customized) and you're done! But the SNES controller is completely different, so they design a new one. The current hardware works fine, though, so it will probably look very similar.

EDIT: definitions:
PCB - printed circuit board (just your standard, boring multilayer FR4 fiberglass circuit board)
PCA - printed circuit assemble (the board + the components on the board + sometimes anything connected to the board by soldered lead wires)

This is legitimately interesting to me, thanks for sharing. I always thought it made a lot of sense for stuff like this to reuse existing designs but I guess I didn't considering that they might have to make changes for the reasons you brought up. It'll be interesting to see exactly what is inside of one of these in a month or so.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

OK actually looked at the list of games to determine French-ness.

Contra III: The Alien Wars - Released as "Super Probotector: The Alien Rebels" in PAL land. No French option. Probotect and serve! No unofficial translation patch exists.

Donkey Kong Country - Released in PAL territories as a Universal cart which defaults to English and can be played in French or German. Not sure if having to go into options to change the language is a dealbreaker in Quebec. Both DKC 2 and 3 offered French (and only French) in North America.

EarthBound - never released in PAL territories, unofficial translation patch exists, seems pretty solid.

Final Fantasy III - not released on SNES in PAL territories. Got a really good French translation on GBA which carried over into the mobile/PC versions. Multiple unofficial translation patches exist with less good fan translations.

F-ZERO - English only, no patch exists, no point I guess.

Kirby Super Star - Released in PAL territories under the name Kirby's Fun Pak. English only, no patch exists.

Kirby's Dream Course - English only, no patch exists.

The Legend of Zelda™: A Link to the Past - Released in France on a French PAL cart, and in Quebec in NTSC with the same translation.

Mega Man X - English only. Unofficial patch exists.

Secret of Mana - Released in France on a French PAL cart

Star Fox - Available on separate PAL carts in English and German. Even the Weekend Competition cart got PAL English and German releases! No French. Numerous unofficial patches exist.

Street Fighter 2 Turbo: Hyper Fighting - English only. Unofficial French patch exists of Super Street Fighter

Super Castlevania 4 - English only, no patch, no real point, game has gently caress-all text other than UI and initial menu

Super Ghouls 'n Ghosts - English only, French patch exists

Super Mario Kart - English only, no patch exists.

Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars - no PAL cart release. Unofficial French patch exists, can't be arsed to play it enough to get a decent screenshot.

Super Mario World - English only on SNES, the European GBA version offered French as an option (pictured below)

Super Metroid - PAL cartridge lets you choose heavily abridged German (default) or French subtitles for the intro which is a really lovely solution, I don't think you can turn it off either.

- Yes, those 2 lines of giant text are all you get for that paragraph.

Super Punch-Out!! - English only, no French patch exists

Yoshi's Island - PAL cart lets you choose between English, French and German on first boot, and change later through options

Star Fox 2 ahahaha there are two unofficial translation patches

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
:quebec:

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

I think I've checked my Gamestop account no less than 4 times today to make sure my preorder is still there :tinfoil:

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I hope if they do make an N64 classic they send a review copy to Gaming In the Clinton Years

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

shyduck posted:

I think I've checked my Gamestop account no less than 4 times today to make sure my preorder is still there :tinfoil:

:same:

I have a pre-order from Amazon Uk that I'm going to give to my best friend but only if my Gamestop order comes through without issue.