Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

Barudak posted:

Jar Jar Binks wont get one despite that actually being a plot point in the films and him being a wacky goofball

Pitching a solo movie for one of the most despised characters in the history of cinema is sure to cost someone their job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
It seems only natural to me that the Jabba movie and the Kenobi movie would be one and the same. But then again I should know better with how the MCU seems to have 6 movies for every stupid character.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I wouldn't watch a Jar-Jar movie but I would definitely watch the meltdown over a Jar-Jar movie.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

RBA Starblade posted:

I wouldn't watch a Jar-Jar movie but I would definitely watch the meltdown over a Jar-Jar movie.

To make the meltdown truly great make the only way to get the theatrical cuts of the OT be in a special edition steel book bundle with the Jar Jar movie.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Timby posted:

In addition to Han Solo, Obi-Wan and Boba Fett, Variety says that a standalone movie about Jabba is in development, as well. :stare:
A Jabba movie would work if it took inspiration from the Tales From Jabba's Palace book I read when I was 10 years old, just an anthology film (within a series of anthology films I guess??) about various palace patrons

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010
How can we even relate to the characters in the original trilogy when they haven't had their own movies to establish them yet...

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Cat Machine posted:

A Jabba movie would work if it took inspiration from the Tales From Jabba's Palace book I read when I was 10 years old, just an anthology film (within a series of anthology films I guess??) about various palace patrons

so, not a Jabba movie then

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

I think when they say "Jabba The Hutt" they mean "Boba Fett" basically

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

well why not posted:

I think when they say "Jabba The Hutt" they mean "Boba Fett" basically

The Variety article specifically called them out as two separate films.

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!
If the movie is more about Jabba's Palace people, I want a behind the music documentary style movie about the Max Rebo band. Droopy McCool and his jizz wailing friends deserve the spotlight.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I'm worried we are finally going to get a.bad Star Wars movie with this volume .

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

e: i'm dumb and dont get jokes

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=suOtFDQDkA8

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
The Jabba film should feature the dumpy human Jabba being transformed into big green slug Jabba.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Move over BB8, there are new cute mascots in town!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-RkSQSxEkX4

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

The MSJ posted:

Move over BB8, there are new cute mascots in town!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-RkSQSxEkX4

They renamed Detours?

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

It's being reported that Michael K Williams' character has been completely cut from the Han Solo film, due to unavailability for reshoots.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Davros1 posted:

It's being reported that Michael K Williams' character has been completely cut from the Han Solo film, due to unavailability for reshoots.

The movie was two weeks away from being done when Lord and Miller were sacked on June 20. It's August 23. Is Howard re-shooting the entire goddamn movie?

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Timby posted:

The movie was two weeks away from being done when Lord and Miller were sacked on June 20. It's August 23. Is Howard re-shooting the entire goddamn movie?

I know from watching the docs on the "Superman 2" film that a large percentage of film has to be re-shot by the new director to be "their" film. So if Howard had only come on to do a few pick ups, the film would still be credited to Lord and Miller.

Don't know if that's still the rule.

RedSpider
May 12, 2017

Check out these completely original non-derivative designs Disney came up with for The Last Jedi!

https://twitter.com/starwars/status/900477800691445760

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
If you read through the article, I really like the design history of the AT-M6

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
I hope in Episode 9 we get chicken walkers, except they're on pogosticks.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Having similar looking designs to show a design lineage is fine, and exactly what the franchise should be doing as it explores new eras. It's when designs are copied straight over with no or minimal changes - like the X-wing and TIE fighter of TFA - that it's a problem.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
I agree on the TIE Fighters (Special Forces variant aside), but the T-70 and the T-65 X-wing are super different.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

RedSpider posted:

Check out these completely original non-derivative designs Disney came up with for The Last Jedi!

https://twitter.com/starwars/status/900477800691445760

Both of these look stupid as gently caress.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

jivjov posted:

I agree on the TIE Fighters (Special Forces variant aside), but the T-70 and the T-65 X-wing are super different.
Most of the differences are in the detailing, though; the ship still has the same basic silhouette and design elements. Compare to, say, the ARC-170, which is clearly connected to the X-wing, but you can tell that the two ships are separated by quite a bit of time and evolution of design. The T-70 is more similar to the T-65 than the progression of TIE variants are to each other within the OT.

Still, it would probably be less egregious if it were the only one so similar. Next to the TIEs and the Falcon, though, the familiar elements are overwhelming. TFA is odd in that it has a number of original designs (the Star Destroyer, the quadjumper, Han's weird freighter) but never actually shows them to any great extent. Ironically, the most original design with significant screentime is Starkiller Base.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

That walker is interesting. With those fangs and that pronounced hump where the main gun is, it looks like a feral predator, in comparison to which the classic fully upright AT-AT looks more like a prancing show horse.

The new Star Destroyer is satisfactory. It continues the evolution of the Evil Triangle concept, and the huge cannon on the bottom promises to make it useful for an interesting set piece.

They've both got big guns and they look vicious and dark. It provides some much-needed characterization for the First Order.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Gorilla walker and slice of pizza with a dick.
Gotta say, not a fan.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

A slice of cheese with bazookas

What's not to love?

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

I hope they made Gareth Edwards write an essay on "making huge things look even huger" for the subsequent directors to memorise.

Calling it now: that walker will fall forward on it's 'knees' and spew forth lasers at ground level, thus making it kinda rad.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

well why not posted:

I hope they made Gareth Edwards write an essay on "making huge things look even huger" for the subsequent directors to memorise.

Calling it now: that walker will fall forward on it's 'knees' and spew forth lasers at ground level, thus making it kinda rad.

Wouldn't be surprised at all if that walker stood up on its hind legs at some point.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Like an excited Labrador? God I hope so that'd be hilarious. Particularly if some storm troopers fall out the rear end.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
Leaked footage:

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

It most likely fixes the flaw where it falls down forward and now is designed to do that.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Vintersorg posted:

It most likely fixes the flaw where it falls down forward and now is designed to do that.

Got a good idea for that one. They're called "tank treads".

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Tanks have wheels in Star Wars. Lots and lots of wheels.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Lord Hydronium posted:

Tanks have wheels in Star Wars. Lots and lots of wheels.

that image is a wheely good reminder

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Can we just let FractalSponge design ships for Star Wars?

The Dreadpizza is not even all that intimidating

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Vinylshadow posted:

Can we just let FractalSponge design ships for Star Wars?

drat, he's really good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

drat, he's really good.

He can literally knock out a good design over a weekend.

Actually, here's his take on the new ship:

http://fractalsponge.net/?p=2568

Captain Splendid fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Aug 24, 2017

• Locked thread