Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

The fact that it's "on access" vs. "on start" makes it sound like there's something in the website that's attempting to access something else with an expired/invalid SSL cert (doubly so with the first google result being "107 is the Secure socket API error code"), but yeah no matter how the stack's falling over the easiest solution is probably going to be "fix the cert and set a reminder for a couple weeks before the next time it happens". I'm not familiar with the actual tech there but there might be some sort of sandbox/development/"ignore SSL cert errors" switch you could throw in the config somewhere temporarily?

Antiquated version of Apache on an IBM iSeries (AS/400)

Going in the garbage can in a month or two :dance:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

:laffo:

Shared this with the office. It doesn't have the throughput we require, but that's what the meth is for.

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007

Aunt Beth posted:

I keep this line at the bottom of my email signature:

If this message appears incomplete or garbled, please reference RFC 1149

My favorite line to sneak into my .sig is "Please print this email before considering the environment."

Gunjin
Apr 27, 2004

Om nom nom

fishmech posted:

But the most important reason HDMI or DisplayPort is the best to use of all? Easiest to plug in and unplug.

No, that's the worst part of them. VGA sucks, but knowing that once you've screwed the cable in it's not coming out is great. An extra gently caress you to manufacturers who think downward facing HDMI ports are a good idea (I'm looking at you Sharp). I wish more video formats used BNC like SDI does.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Gunjin posted:

No, that's the worst part of them. VGA sucks, but knowing that once you've screwed the cable in it's not coming out is great. An extra gently caress you to manufacturers who think downward facing HDMI ports are a good idea (I'm looking at you Sharp). I wish more video formats used BNC like SDI does.

I hata vga for that very reason. I would rather a cord get a snag and then unplugged instead of a monitor getting pulled over. Its also better in a tight space where you have to feel your way around. Inputs/outputs should not need to be screwed in.

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

I despise having to screw and unscrew VGA/DVI cables, especially in tiny spaces between display and post on monitors that don't swivel or rotate. DP cables have that little latch/button, HDMI is a little less reliable but they usually stay in place unless for some reason they are frequently pulled on or subjected to lateral force in which case that's a foresight issue and a cord coming unplugged is a better outcome than an entire device being yanked around anyway.

Worst case scenario I could see something using the two prongs like parallel ports.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Mini DisplayPort is loving terrible

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Miracast is the best because there's no cable involved at all.

Gunjin
Apr 27, 2004

Om nom nom
To be fair, my complaints aren't desktop monitor based, this is all wall mounted stuff, lots of it displays in a high vibration factory type environment, HDMI sliding out is an issue that comes up.

I don't remember the last time I saw an actual full sized DisplayPort, MiniDP sure, but that gets turned into HDMI before it goes into the monitors.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Thanks Ants posted:

Mini DisplayPort is loving terrible

Especially if you have to go to full DP, that stupid port comes unplugged any time I so much as look at it funny. Which thankfully is only about once every 9 months or so, which is enough time for me to forget all about my monitor going from DP to mini DP on my graphics card.

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

Gunjin posted:

that's the whole point of the hdmi connecter, it breaks away without potentially ripping the video card from the PCI slot

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
The only place I've seen MiniDP in the real world is on my Vive's breakout box and a friend's Macbook Pro. All my GPUs and onboard video with DP use the full size connector, as do my capable monitors.

I don't like the latch because my monitor has terrible design and it's hard to grip the cable properly to push the button to unlatch it. I prefer the older screw style connections because you can choose whether or not to make them "permanent". Screw them in and they're not going anywhere, but if you want quick switching you leave it loose. Everyone wins.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

pixaal posted:

Especially if you have to go to full DP, that stupid port comes unplugged any time I so much as look at it funny.

Use less lube

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

The only place I've seen mini-DP out is on my friend's 6-port GPU he used to power what I called his "NASA station" with 2x3 panels for coding.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
poo poo not pissing me off: I'm at jury duty and I've been watching CCNA lessons all day instead of being at work :v:

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I'm finishing up my third of three days off. I saw the therapist for the second time. So far we just talk, and I meander through different parts of my life. It's pretty mellow. It's weird to talk about myself, especially without being constantly contradicted or nullified. I'm wondering if this will be the extent of the therapy, just talking and getting some feedback now and then. For $13 per visit I can afford to keep going to see how things go.

So only two days of work to this short week, and I will plan to take a full week off in the next few months. Even if I just sit at home it's better than being at work. I think I'll have to buy a couple of laptops for people so that's more points on my credit card. Last I looked at my Amazon account I think I was up over $200 in points.

18 Character Limit
Apr 6, 2007

Screw you, Abed;
I can fix this!
Nap Ghost

skooma512 posted:

poo poo not pissing me off: I'm at jury duty and I've been watching CCNA lessons all day instead of being at work :v:

Glad they're finally prosecuting Cisco for its crimes.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

I've used MiniDP with my Surface Pro, and I've seen it on a bunch of other laptops. Annoyingly my laptop only has HDMI.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

18 Character Limit posted:

Glad they're finally prosecuting Cisco for its crimes.

drat I wanted to post this.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

Dick Trauma posted:

I'm finishing up my third of three days off. I saw the therapist for the second time. So far we just talk, and I meander through different parts of my life. It's pretty mellow. It's weird to talk about myself, especially without being constantly contradicted or nullified. I'm wondering if this will be the extent of the therapy, just talking and getting some feedback now and then. For $13 per visit I can afford to keep going to see how things go.

Don't undersell how important that is. Soon you'll start piecing things together and understanding more how things affect you. You also should start thinking about how you may have been affected by certain factors in life and reading about them. I had a giant series of breakthroughs when I picked up the book "Adult children of alcoholics" which examines how living as a child with an alcoholic parent changes your behavior. It also works for most kinds of dysfunctional home environments not just parental alcoholism.

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008
So in the space of a week I've gone from working in a team of 3 to a team of me as the other two :confuoot: out within days of each other. loving tickets are all over the shop.

On the plus side management are basically promising me the world so I don't walk out as well, waiting to see what comes back in writing first though because there's no way I'm doing this to any length of time as it stands

Weaponized Autism
Mar 26, 2006

All aboard the Gravy train!
Hair Elf
The IT division wants to have a summer party for the employees, however HR doesn't want us to have any alcohol because "people who don't drink alcohol might get offended". I guess we could eat cake and do team-building stuff like trust falls or some poo poo. yaaaay.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Tailored Sauce posted:

The IT division wants to have a summer party for the employees, however HR doesn't want us to have any alcohol because "people who don't drink alcohol might get offended". I guess we could eat cake and do team-building stuff like trust falls or some poo poo. yaaaay.

lol we got an open bar

Unfortunately, and this is a thing pissing me off, we have no HR department.

This is a bad combination when you have hundreds of very drunk employees all in the same place at once.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Dross posted:

I despise having to screw and unscrew VGA/DVI cables, especially in tiny spaces between display and post on monitors that don't swivel or rotate. DP cables have that little latch/button, HDMI is a little less reliable but they usually stay in place unless for some reason they are frequently pulled on or subjected to lateral force in which case that's a foresight issue and a cord coming unplugged is a better outcome than an entire device being yanked around anyway.

Worst case scenario I could see something using the two prongs like parallel ports.

The only people I hate as much as the guy who used electrical tape for cable management are the assholes who use a screwdriver to tighten VGA cables.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Dick Trauma posted:

Your therapist is teasing out parts of your life that made/make you the way that you are. Talking through things is part of the process, but you'll possibly start getting into mindfulness, CBT, or something else.

Dross posted:

The only place I've seen mini-DP out is on my friend's 6-port GPU he used to power what I called his "NASA station" with 2x3 panels for coding.

I've got this at work, but with fewer monitors because there's just not enough desk space. The monitors are big though.

It loving rules, and I won't apologize for any of it.

Tailored Sauce posted:

It's a valid concern, but HR sucks at phrasing if they said it's offensive. If you can't drink, or you're trying to stay sober (think of the dirty secret of alcoholism in this industry if you want a non-religious reason), having the big party be full of booze and little else is a big "you don't belong" sign from your co-workers. It's not offensive, it's just thoughtless.

The good news is that grown up companies can work around this by offering booze AND having decent drink substitutes (real mocktails, not just "here's your Coke"), along with stuff to do that isn't just drinking at each other.

That's work, though, so it's easier to just ban the booze and make everyone suffer.

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007
For those of you curious for the latest chapter of the saga of Marvin Graybeard Yellowstache:

Today I heard some Strange and Wonderful Racism from him, which is much less funny than Strange and Wonderful IT Theories, and also mostly offtopic for the thread*, but he did drop a few IT jewels, such as:

- Steve Jobs invented the laptop docking station, then Bill Gates stole it and patented it. (EDIT: That's why there's no such thing as a Mac docking station.)

- The only difference between laptop power bricks is the form factor. If "they" would just standardize the power port, all power adapters would work on all laptops.

- Not being able to plug DDR2 RAM into a DDR3 slot and vice versa is a Microsoft plot to force you to buy new RAM with a new computer. Otherwise it would work like hard drives, which are also storage devices so the analogy is correct and exact, where there's been one plug change in 20 years.

- The below (image from google, I assure you his are worse) is a perfectly good way to cut and terminate network cable, just put a boot over it so people "don't get their panties in a twist" about it.

- The proper way to clean a desktop computer's fan is to remove it, wipe it with a wet paper towel, and reinstall it.

- The proper way to clean a laptop computer's fan is to hit it with the compressed air until it screams.

(The one that isn't is him calling a situation "as complicated as a Japanese typewriter" - only he didn't say Japanese...)

sfwarlock fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Aug 24, 2017

mewse
May 2, 2006

sfwarlock posted:

- The only difference between laptop power bricks is the form factor. If "they" would just standardize the power port, all power adapters would work on all laptops.

This one is kinda true, 99% of laptop power adapters are 19V and they'd work for 99% of laptops if the physical plug was standardized

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

mewse posted:

This one is kinda true, 99% of laptop power adapters are 19V and they'd work for 99% of laptops if the physical plug was standardized

Amperage aside

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

A power adapter with higher amperage isn't going to hurt your laptop.

However, if you have a Samsung that wants a 15v adapter and you plug in an hp 19v adapter, you will have a bad time

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

The Fool posted:

A power adapter with higher amperage isn't going to hurt your laptop.

However, if you have a Samsung that wants a 15v adapter and you plug in an hp 19v adapter, you will have a bad time

Right, but a lower amperage one would charge slower and possibly lead to battery drain when used plugged in

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!
Oh, you're the new Turtlicious huh? :raise:

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

SeaborneClink posted:

Oh, you're the new Turtlicious huh? :raise:

Yeah this is some gold but how could you possibly mine this much material out of a coworker every day

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Yeah this is some gold but how could you possibly mine this much material out of a coworker every day

By shadowing the ancient motherfucker for 8 hours a day until they get all my network account ducks in a row.

EDIT: And him thinking I need education on everything IT related. And him being prone to rambling. And and and.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

sfwarlock posted:

By shadowing the ancient motherfucker for 8 hours a day until they get all my network account ducks in a row.

EDIT: And him thinking I need education on everything IT related. And him being prone to rambling. And and and.

Shadow hard, and know you are doing God's work. Stay tough and know some of us appreciate the sacrifices you are making.

Stay safe, Greybeard's shadow ghost!

KennyTheFish
Jan 13, 2004

sfwarlock posted:

Introduce him to USB C

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Ask him about 'the cloud'.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Tell him there's DDR4 RAM now.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
I've had to deal with engineers who didn't understand why AutoCAD ran so slow on their workstation laptops when they plugged in their 45 watt ultrabook adapter.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

sfwarlock posted:

For those of you curious for the latest chapter of the saga of Marvin Graybeard Yellowstache:

Today I heard some Strange and Wonderful Racism from him, which is much less funny than Strange and Wonderful IT Theories, and also mostly offtopic for the thread*, but he did drop a few IT jewels, such as:

- Steve Jobs invented the laptop docking station, then Bill Gates stole it and patented it. (EDIT: That's why there's no such thing as a Mac docking station.)

- Not being able to plug DDR2 RAM into a DDR3 slot and vice versa is a Microsoft plot to force you to buy new RAM with a new computer. Otherwise it would work like hard drives, which are also storage devices so the analogy is correct and exact, where there's been one plug change in 20 years.

- The below (image from google, I assure you his are worse) is a perfectly good way to cut and terminate network cable, just put a boot over it so people "don't get their panties in a twist" about it.

- The proper way to clean a desktop computer's fan is to remove it, wipe it with a wet paper towel, and reinstall it.

- The proper way to clean a laptop computer's fan is to hit it with the compressed air until it screams.

(The one that isn't is him calling a situation "as complicated as a Japanese typewriter" - only he didn't say Japanese...)

I'm going to end up working for this guy, aren't I?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Peachfart posted:

Ask him about 'the cloud'.

Yes. Please do this.