Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Mostly the instant resume, also the remote triggering of downloads.

I'm not sure if the USB ports are active while the system is fully powered down, but using them to charge the controller while not playing might be another bonus of suspend mode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

USB ports are only on during rest mode if you enable them. Problem is they always draw power even if nothing is connected in rest mode, but you can set them to off or keep power for three hours after power off

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I will gladly waste some electricity if it means I don't have to waste time launching games

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

exquisite tea posted:

Booo rest mode, I hate games loading up quickly and effortlessly.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Jumping right back into a game and actually playing in literally 3.5 seconds

Yes, but I am an adult and have learned the skill of delayed gratification.

So when something takes 20 extra seconds to boot I rearrange my pillows in the meantime or take off my shoes or wash my hands or drink a glass of water or open a window or do any number of things that take 20 seconds to do.

Andrast posted:

I will gladly waste some electricity if it means I don't have to waste time launching games

It is common for people in the USofA to assume time is a strict commodity.

BeanpolePeckerwood fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Aug 23, 2017

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Yes, but I am an adult and have learned the skill of delayed gratification.

So when something takes 20 extra seconds to boot I rearrange my pillows in the meantime or take off my shoes or wash my hands or drink a glass of water or open a window or do any number of things that take 20 seconds to do.

Its not about the ability to handle it, its about not having to.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Bombadilillo posted:

Its not about the ability to handle it, its about not having to.

Yes, but wouldn't you agree that I've demonstrated an ability to handle it?

I thought so. Carry on.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Sometimes I use rest mode

Sometimes I don't

trash person
Apr 5, 2006

Baby Executive is pleased with your performance!
The purpose of rest mode is to have games/the system automatically update while you're away???

I mean unless you like to sit down and go, "Ah, time to play some Overwatch. Can't wait to do something else for forty five minutes while it updates."

revolther
May 27, 2008

Yes, but wouldn't you agree that I've demonstrated an ability to handle it?

I thought so. Carry on.
You've done a lot of talking, either you start live streaming your 20 second bursts of productive activity and rub it in our faces or shut the hell up.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Sometimes you know about updates in advance

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
Rest mode lets you jump back into the hunt more quickly, boys.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

trash person posted:

The purpose of rest mode is to have games/the system automatically update while you're away???

I mean unless you like to sit down and go, "Ah, time to play some Overwatch. Can't wait to do something else for forty five minutes while it updates."

Streetfighter 5 is so bad it has ones where you need to have the game launched and the system fully on to grab and install them. Its really funny how bad capcom is at tech stuff.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

revolther posted:

You've done a lot of talking, either you start live streaming your 20 second bursts of productive activity and rub it in our faces or shut the hell up.

It's my experimental shitposting that keeps this thread moving. Just make sure your eyes are open and ready for the diarrheadump of my letters.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Rest mode isn't just about being able to get back into the game incredibly fast, it's also a secondary/supplementary save feature. If you need to stop playing but the game doesn't allow you to save at that point, Rest Mode has got you covered. You can be mid-combo, mid-air, mid-conversation, mid-cutscene, whatever.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Montalvo posted:

Rest mode lets you jump back into the hunt more quickly, boys.

FromSOFT games are actually some of the very few that don't play nice with rest mode :goonsay:
They don't realise you're still connected to the PSN

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Lobok posted:

Rest mode isn't just about being able to get back into the game incredibly fast, it's also a secondary/supplementary save feature. If you need to stop playing but the game doesn't allow you to save at that point, Rest Mode has got you covered. You can be mid-combo, mid-air, mid-conversation, mid-cutscene, whatever.

I look forward to reading your forthcoming posts about corrupted save files.

Quantum of Phallus posted:

FromSOFT games are actually some of the very few that don't play nice with rest mode :goonsay:
They don't realise you're still connected to the PSN

And those are the only games that matter, so...

Well, apart from Vanquish and Sonic Mania

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Has the Rest Mode on PS4 ever caused a corrupted save? A cursory Google search led me to posts about people seeing the "Corrupted Data" tile on the XMB, which will go away when you remove and reinsert the disc, and confusing it with a corrupted save file, but nothing actually showing save files getting corrupted.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Crows Turn Off posted:

Has the Rest Mode on PS4 ever caused a corrupted save? A cursory Google search led me to posts about people seeing the "Corrupted Data" tile on the XMB, which will go away when you remove and reinsert the disc, but nothing about actual save files getting corrupted.

WWE 2K17 at launch had a Rest Mode bug that if you put the game into Rest Mode while playing MyCareer it could delete every save data file on the PS4. Not just WWE 2K17's!

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Policenaut posted:

WWE 2K17 at launch had a Rest Mode bug that if you put the game into Rest Mode while playing MyCareer it could delete every save data file on the PS4. Not just WWE 2K17's!

That's loving insane, I almost don't believe it. That's worse than the Soul Calibur 3 corruption glitch, which was at least confined to a single memory card.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

That owns

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
They opened up Everybody's Golf to play for a while didn't they? Did anyone have any thoughts on it?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Policenaut posted:

At least it probably didn't affect cloud saves. Still jfc that is nasty. Not nasty enough for me to stop using PS4's best feature however.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

veni veni veni posted:

At least it probably didn't affect cloud saves. Still jfc that is nasty. Not nasty enough for me to stop using PS4's best feature however.

Thematically appropriate for a WWE game, too.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

The bug was nice enough to give you a rematch in case you lost your save files.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

And I, in return, wish misfortune upon you for using the built-in features of your consumer electronics. I curse you for using the Reheat button on your microwave. A pox on your house if you left motion smoothing enabled on your TV. May you end up in eternal damnation for pressing the battery test button on your carbon monoxide detector.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Motion smoothing is pretty crappy, actually

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Motion smoothing is pretty crappy, actually

"120 Hz" interpolation: when you absolutely, positively have to make literally everything look like a soap opera; accept no substitutes.

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

Rest Mode never let me back into games so I don't know what you guys are posting about.

Also gimme that Bloodborne Boyz tag please.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

dont be mean to me posted:

"120 Hz" interpolation: when you absolutely, positively have to make literally everything look like a soap opera; accept no substitutes.

Looks good when the program is live, especially sports. Otherwise it's just off-putting.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Healbot posted:

Rest Mode never let me back into games so I don't know what you guys are posting about.

What does that even mean

Cnidaria
Apr 10, 2009

It's all politics, Mike.

Rest mode is like the best feature on the ps4. Being able to indefinitely pause a game anytime is great.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Any idea why my ps4 controller won't hold a charge? I have to leave it plugged in and it works for the most part, although if I'm doing something with a lot of rumble it'll keep disconnecting from the battery drain. Tried like 3 different USB cables but those shouldn't matter - they're working enough to keep it active most of the time but never actually charge it. What gives?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

mastershakeman posted:

Any idea why my ps4 controller won't hold a charge? I have to leave it plugged in and it works for the most part, although if I'm doing something with a lot of rumble it'll keep disconnecting from the battery drain. Tried like 3 different USB cables but those shouldn't matter - they're working enough to keep it active most of the time but never actually charge it. What gives?

I don't know what the warranty is on them, but it sounds like that one is broken and you'll need a replacement. You can try to replace the battery yourself, but it requires some effort and I know if I tried to do it I'd probably just kill my controller anyway.

Actually also check out the connector. The thing always seemed flimsy to me and it might not be making good contact, but you said it works while plugging in so idk on that one.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Is there a thread for the new Uncharted I'm missing or are folks just really underwhelmed by it? Because I've been playing it a bit and it's really damned well done, which is not really a surprise to anyone I suppose.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Is there a thread for the new Uncharted I'm missing or are folks just really underwhelmed by it? Because I've been playing it a bit and it's really damned well done, which is not really a surprise to anyone I suppose.

Its great
Wait for finale

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

There are threads about individual games in this forum?

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Real hurthling! posted:

Its great
Wait for finale

If I've never particularly loved any of the main Uncharted games, is there anything they do differently in this installment that would entice? Chloe was the only character I particularly liked besides Sully (if only because she was actually, y'know, a thief and proudly amoral) and I'd be vaguely interested in an adventure with her but if it's just the same Uncharted gameplay I'm probably gonna pass.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I guess that depends on if you played 4 or not, because 4 is a lot different than the first 3. If you've played 4, it's more of that.

trash person
Apr 5, 2006

Baby Executive is pleased with your performance!

katkillad2 posted:

They opened up Everybody's Golf to play for a while didn't they? Did anyone have any thoughts on it?

I didn't play it but everything I read/watched on it seemed promising. Seems like a Hot Shots game so I'M loving AMPED.

legit more excited for that to unlock than Destiny 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

trash person posted:

I didn't play it but everything I read/watched on it seemed promising. Seems like a Hot Shots game so I'M loving AMPED.

legit more excited for that to unlock than Destiny 2.

:same:

Also, your avatar + text is wonderful and makes me smile every time I see it.