Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

THINKS CON-AIR WAS A GOOD MOVIE

Clawtopsy posted:

yeah and if a few crazy people got mad at kankri, imagine how loving huge the sook would be from the alt-right babies if eridan was one

or they'd take the wrong message away

Or loving moderates.

"all im sayin is if the lowwbloods aint happy wwith poo poo, vviolent uprisin makes them just as bad."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

Clawtopsy posted:

When she met all the other characters after having all her problems solved and giving her a ring that restores life instead of good characters John had met, everyone pretty much said how beautiful she was except Terezi who said she was badass instead

Calliope and Caliborn seem to both be different types of narrative pitfalls.

Caliborn is the lovely self insert rebelling against societal norms like not being a giant rear end in a top hat who never suffers consequences for his terrible actions (except when someone literally detached from the story kicks his rear end).

Calliope is, inversely, the Mary Sue who can do no wrong, is immediate regarded as the best, everyone but aforementioned Bad Person thinks she's wonderful and perfect and is beautiful "despite" a flaw.

If on purpose, it's a brilliant jab at bad writing. If not, it's just unfortunate.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
I think that works for a character like Caliborn where we're meant to hate and resent him

no amount of 'lol we're only IRONICALLY telling you to love calliope' will make her good. nor is it great to make her the lynchpin to victory.

Charlie Bobson
Dec 28, 2013
Homosuck and the cherubs were unironically the worst parts of homestuck

Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

Clawtopsy posted:

I think that works for a character like Caliborn where we're meant to hate and resent him

no amount of 'lol we're only IRONICALLY telling you to love calliope' will make her good. nor is it great to make her the lynchpin to victory.

Yeah I honestly think it was meant to be endearing and it comes off as infuriating.

Especially when late act 6 to the credits read like "Calliope gets whatever she wants".

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

and the last page written by hussie had john lying in a pool of sadness

yaaaaaaay

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

I got confusing hatemail for my lovely ancient bloodswap fanfic which forced me to remember Homestuck existed again, so I am here to ask in passing curiosity if the game ever came out

Telarra
Oct 9, 2012

Black August posted:

if the game ever came out

lol no

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Ok cool so like

So is it GOING to come out ever or are we looking at complete vaporware as they silently vanish from the internet and act like it never happened

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

Black August posted:

Ok cool so like

So is it GOING to come out ever or are we looking at complete vaporware as they silently vanish from the internet and act like it never happened

no one knows
they completely changed the art style and made a new trailer, went from 3d to 2d
but they keep not announcing when the game is coming out and when they do they break their deadline - it was going to be put up on steam at least once and then it wasn't for "debugging"

there's a ton of behind the scenes poo poo that's really confusing to sort out because it's the internet and you never know when someone is making poo poo up to prove their insane personal beefs over a webcomic

Telarra
Oct 9, 2012

We're looking at a game that'll totally come out, they're just pushing back the release date by three months for the seventh time.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Even speaking as somebody who thinks most of the criticism around here is overblown and ridiculous, I still have no idea what's going on with Homestuck right now, or what the people behind it think is going on.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Black August posted:

Ok cool so like

Not yet, check back again in a year or three.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

The game was set for release last January, then Hussie said it needed "a few weeks" for polish and bugfixes. This ended up being "over half a year" and on 4/13 they finally released a new trailer and a promise to communicate more. This translated to doing a few interviews each month over this summer, and no release date or really anything relevant to the actual game itself. It's just fluff to remind people that the game still exists.

And keep in mind that this is just for Act 1. All this delay is for just a quarter of a full game, so I imagine people will be kinda pissed when if this thing releases with maybe two hours of gameplay tops and another ridiculous wait for Act 2-4.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
If I remember right the "promise to communicate more" update also had a passive-aggressive addendum along the lines of "so quit bothering us."

It hasn't been going well.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Don't worry though, if you follow skullmandible on Twitter (don't) you get to read his lame incredibly whiny Opinions that are basically lovely discount leyawn/pixelatedboat stuff.

Dude wants to be a Leftist Game Creator Worth Following like bombsfall so loving bad but he doesn't even have half the talent. Its hilarious

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

Lick! The! Whisk! posted:

Don't worry though, if you follow skullmandible on Twitter (don't) you get to read his lame incredibly whiny Opinions that are basically lovely discount leyawn/pixelatedboat stuff.

Dude wants to be a Leftist Game Creator Worth Following like bombsfall so loving bad but he doesn't even have half the talent. Its hilarious

you know hes working with zoe quinn on her latest project right

e: even star citizen apparently makes up lame excuses for constant delays, though i understand hussie became very busy working under the pen name chuck tingle

Clawtopsy fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Aug 23, 2017

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

I am significantly more inclined to think Quinn is Tingle than Hussie. That's a lot of dedication for a one-note joke, and it just doesn't seem like Hussie's style. Regardless, I don't think Tingle is a real person.

Oxxidation posted:

If I remember right the "promise to communicate more" update also had a passive-aggressive addendum along the lines of "so quit bothering us."

It hasn't been going well.
Probably because the interviews are just fluff that have nothing to do with the development of the game. It's pretty much the same batch of personal questions that, while interesting to a degree, need to be interspersed with actual game details or it just comes off as mostly nothing. It serves no purpose but to remind people that yes, they are still working on the game. Which I guess is an improvement from the first half of the year.

The PR and communication for this game have been dismal. There's been no attempt to generate any kind of excitement or hype, and honestly we are far past the point of anyone getting super engaged with this thing's impending release.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

They're really lovely interviews because there's no back and forth, it's basically a bunch of questionaires of such illuminating topics as who ur fav ship iz.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Seriously when the fake parody interview is higher effort and more punctual than your real ones you've seriuosly hosed up.

Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

Pants Donkey posted:

The game was set for release last January, then Hussie said it needed "a few weeks" for polish and bugfixes. This ended up being "over half a year" and on 4/13 they finally released a new trailer and a promise to communicate more. This translated to doing a few interviews each month over this summer, and no release date or really anything relevant to the actual game itself. It's just fluff to remind people that the game still exists.

And keep in mind that this is just for Act 1. All this delay is for just a quarter of a full game, so I imagine people will be kinda pissed when if this thing releases with maybe two hours of gameplay tops and another ridiculous wait for Act 2-4.

At this point if they're not working on acts 2-4 simultaneously to make sure it's not years before the next part comes out, they're setting themselves up for failure, honestly.

But knowing their track record I'm not banking on it.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Working on acts 2-4 implies theyre working on act 1.

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.
http://shelbycragg.tumblr.com/post/164541646410/hey

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

hardest time i ever done :(
The memers wasted no time

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
hah

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

If it's anything short of a release date then they shouldn't bother hyping it up.

Although my guess is that it'll be a Hussie interview or another trailer.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

I think the hope for any sort of transparent and functional game development process for Hiveswap died with the Odd Gentlemen fiasco. From what little that leaked out, that sounds like the sort of enthusiasm-breaking disaster that turned what could've been an interactive and fun development (much as Homestuck was fun and interactive) in a ball of legal red tape and disappointment paired with a sharp budget loss. That goes on to precipitate a whole negative spiral, feeding back into Homestuck itself with various hiatuses and an ending that felt like it was slapped out to get Homestuck off Hussie's plate, which makes the whole thing worse and less fun.

Hiveswap has that smell about it of someone biting off more than they can chew and when things go wrong they retreat rather than confront the problem openly, which invariably causes more things to go wrong, with the associated buildup of guilt and anxiety. Hussie could come out tomorrow and lay out the story of what the hell went wrong and try to build some kind of dialogue with his remaining fanbase (well, except possibly the Odd Gentlemen stuff) but from the sound of it he's reached the point of being completely checked out and just wants to discharge what's become a burden to be rid of it.

This is mostly speculation, but I can imagine an alternate universe where Hussie found a decent indie dev team to partner with from the beginning and Hiveswap came out roughly close to the original time schedule as a fun but somewhat mundane adventure game sidestory, Hussie did a better job of sticking the landing of Homestuck itself without the game hanging around his neck, and there's some new big project he's working on that's got buzz going.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

It's too late for this now, and I'm not sure they could have even afforded them in the first place, but the perfect developers for Hiveswap would have been Telltale.

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

Some one on Tumblr pointed out that September 4 is the fifth anniversary of the initial kickstarter launch and honestly I Wouldn't Put It Past Him

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

an announcement,,,,,, for an announcement of an announcement date for the announcement of the release date's new announcement time that wont be delayed

i am glad to see cherubs will be playing an important role in the game, thank you shelby

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...
next week will be worth it

*cherub crap*

oh it will, will it

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

can't calliope have died on her way back to universe c already

please

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
shelby will not allow it

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

i couldve sworn there were two more kickstarter tiers

one above $10,000 for 'and i won't immediately kill your fantroll'

and one above that for 'and your fantroll becomes the most important character in homestuck'

i can only assume shelby backed at that tier

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

I don't know why everyone has this weird line of thinking that Calliope is her self-insert or whatever. She drew the character's art, so yeah she's attached to the character.

Honestly I doubt you'll see much of the cherubs anyways. It's just to let you know poo poo Is Up and maybe a Lord English appearance at one point.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

Really hope Hiveswap eventually ends with everyone getting obliterated by lord english

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Color Printer posted:

Really hope Hiveswap eventually ends with everyone getting obliterated by lord english
I mean, Earth and Alternia are destroyed by meteors, so nobody is gonna have a happy ending.

Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

ArfJason posted:

shelby will not allow it

I think Cohen is the one with a weird obsession with Calliope maybe.

Shelby seems to like her but cohen keeps trying to make her relevant.

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

Classtoise posted:

I think Cohen is the one with a weird obsession with Calliope maybe.

Shelby seems to like her but cohen keeps trying to make her relevant.

In what way?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
i do not have strong feelings on the topic of Calliope