Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fritz
Jul 26, 2003

swaggered again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
swagger is for people who want to write rpc protocols but also want to be trendy and fashionable and put some pseudo-rest lipstick on it too.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Sapozhnik posted:

swagger is for people who want to write rpc protocols but also want to be trendy and fashionable and put some pseudo-rest lipstick on it too.

wut. swagger has absolutely nothing to do with either rest or rpc design

unless you're trying to say that using http response codes is "pseudo-rest lipstick"

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!
Swagger is like soap in that you can plug the schema into a thing and it works. Which is pretty cool unlike most rest apis you have to write your own client for because they only provide ruby or node packages.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
swagger is gr8 cause its secretly wsdl but in json form so it doesn't scare web "developers"

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Shaggar posted:

swagger is gr8 cause its secretly wsdl but in json form so it doesn't scare web "developers"

as a web dev I've never heard of swagger and don't care

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

just lol at microsoft trolling me with this:

quote:

Generating good documentation and help pages as a part of your Web API using Swagger with the .NET Core implementation Swashbuckle.AspNetCore is as easy as adding a couple of NuGet packages and modifying the Startup.cs.

oh right yeah that is totally not going to create a nest of poo poo just like every other webservice integration in visual studio

edit: wait that generates the docs gently caress that's the opposite of what i would even want

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
swashbuckle works great. also web service integration works great in vs so idk what you're on about

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Shaggar posted:

swashbuckle works great. also web service integration works great in vs so idk what you're on about

every time our webservice integration gets updated VS somehow fucks itself and manages to import old versions of the classes that then fail in some subtle way that only becomes apparent later

in fairness this is probably more to do with how it was implemented than VS itself

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

swagger is good. it lets you deploy rest services and autogenerate clients, including a webapp. if you ignore a bunch of the enterprisey parts of the spec it's pretty simple too

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

im too old for all this modern web poo poo

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
yeah im waiting for the supernova phase to end but it's taking an unusually long time for the web circus to get its poo poo together

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005

Shaggar posted:

yaml is the better json but still worse than xml. all of them are better than csv which some jerks insist on using for seed data. With embedded json.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

im too old for all this modern web poo poo

old man yells at cloud?

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

necrotic posted:

yaml is the better json but still worse than xml. all of them are better than csv which some jerks insist on using for seed data. With embedded json.

yaml is bad cause its executable

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
sbt is so bad

the s stands for simple

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

the b stands for bad

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

the talent deficit posted:

swagger is good. it lets you deploy rest services and autogenerate clients, including a webapp. if you ignore a bunch of the enterprisey parts of the spec it's pretty simple too

literally wsdl then

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
the enterprisey parts of wsdl are real good.

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

wsdl is fine i guess, but people thinking it's a replacement for proper documentation continues to bite me every day.

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax

necrotic posted:

actually, xml > csv > json > yaml

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

JewKiller 3000 posted:

oh look a shaggar post

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
i am in the process of converting one of our mongodb databases to postgres

which i'm happy about but it's going to be an ungodly amount of really frustrating work

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax

InfrastructureWeek posted:

oh look a shaggar post

except i'm willing to be persuaded otherwise, if you have any arguments

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

i am in the process of converting one of our mongodb databases to postgres

which i'm happy about but it's going to be an ungodly amount of really frustrating work

stick the documents into postgres as a whole in jsonb form, do the rest of the conversion in sql as needed

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

JewKiller 3000 posted:

stick the documents into postgres as a whole in jsonb form, do the rest of the conversion in sql as needed

yeah that's the plan

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

sbt is so bad

the s stands for simple

code:
Error:Error while importing SBT project:<br/>...<br/><pre>at scala.collection.mutable.ResizableArray$class.foreach(ResizableArray.scala:59)
at scala.collection.mutable.ArrayBuffer.foreach(ArrayBuffer.scala:47)
at scala.collection.TraversableLike$class.flatMap(TraversableLike.scala:251)
at scala.collection.AbstractTraversable.flatMap(Traversable.scala:105)
at scala.xml.Utility$.trimProper(Utility.scala:55)
at scala.xml.Utility$$anonfun$trim$1.apply(Utility.scala:47)
at scala.xml.Utility$$anonfun$trim$1.apply(Utility.scala:47)
at scala.collection.TraversableLike$$anonfun$flatMap$1.apply(TraversableLike.scala:251)
at scala.collection.TraversableLike$$anonfun$flatMap$1.apply(TraversableLike.scala:251)
at scala.collection.mutable.ResizableArray$class.foreach(ResizableArray.scala:59)
at scala.collection.mutable.ArrayBuffer.foreach(ArrayBuffer.scala:47)
at scala.collection.TraversableLike$class.flatMap(TraversableLike.scala:251)
at scala.collection.AbstractTraversable.flatMap(Traversable.scala:105)
at scala.xml.Utility$.trim(Utility.scala:47)
at org.jetbrains.sbt.extractors.UtilityTasks$$anonfun$dumpStructure$1.apply(UtilityTasks.scala:31)
at org.jetbrains.sbt.extractors.UtilityTasks$$anonfun$dumpStructure$1.apply(UtilityTasks.scala:21)
at scala.Function1$$anonfun$compose$1.apply(Function1.scala:47)
at sbt.$tilde$greater$$anonfun$$u2219$1.apply(TypeFunctions.scala:40)
[error] java.util.concurrent.ExecutionException: java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: GC overhead limit exceeded
[error] Use 'last' for the full log.</pre><br/>See complete log in <a href="file:/Users/MALE_SHOEGAZE/Library/Logs/IntelliJIdea2017.2/sbt.last.log">file:/Users/MALE_SHOEGAZE/Library/Logs/IntelliJIdea2017.2/sbt.last.log</a>

mystes
May 31, 2006

necrotic posted:

Which is the one that hasn't had parser vulnerabilities?

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
i liked swagger just fine when I was using it :shobon:

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
swagger is a strict improvement over writing json apis without swagger

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

JawnV6 posted:

i liked swagger just fine when I was using it :shobon:

Swagger was... right?

:confused:

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

jfc I'm trying to use the api for this new chat thing and it's documented in yaml that you have to use "swagger" to read which can only be used locally if you have node.js running and install it via docker

like I know that all vendor api docs are terrible but this is wrapping a turd in a second turd made of javascript or something

just use autorest. it'll make your life so much easier :unsmigghh:

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005

Shaggar posted:

yaml is bad cause its executable

same as xml or a dumb soap-as-json. Encoding types and trusting them by default is dumb as poo poo anywhere.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

JewKiller 3000 posted:

i dont think i want to know what csv is doing in there

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

sbt is so bad

the s stands for simple

whenever a tech thing has "simple" in the name you can assume it is a complex hair all of awfulness

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

sbt is so bad

the s stands for simple

open = democratic
simple = people's republic of

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax

fritz posted:

i dont think i want to know what csv is doing in there

it was in the post i quoted

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

Sapozhnik posted:

open = democratic

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
honestly the only problem with a flat ini file is the lack of a defined schema and that's a weakness of like 90% of the formats that purport to replace it so just fuckin make flat ini files or do properly formed and schema'd xml.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

sbt is so bad

the s stands for simple

i can't believe that "urgh xml" is considered a valid reason not to use maven. pisses me off so much

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Sapozhnik posted:

open = democratic

• Locked thread