Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I've been looking at adding IOT and my security is to adopt HomeKit. The number of compatible devices has been slow to adopt and blamed on stringent security demands and if nothing else Apple has staked out a pretty good position on security/privacy lately.

This means buying often the most expensive equipment in the IOT field instead of doing what other people do and using the Pi as a HomeKit bridge to add manufacturers that won't pass certification like wink/wemo/etc. When people say they're doing that, I mean, more power to them I guess, but I kind of wince.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

ynohtna posted:

Rejoice, for the blockchain will be our saviour!

in its native form that is a possible solution, but how would the chain work?
every time a device connects does it add the device to the chain as a log, or does it check the chain and deny access if it is not on the chain.

the problem is that blockchains are designed to work where the 2 members do not trust each other and its a way to validate transactions.

With an IOT network its not that the network is not trusted it just seems that they are implementing a blockchain to hold the authorised device list,

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Not sure if I should post this on the Linux thread but figured it might be something more people have run into.

I installed fail2ban with: sudo apt-get install fail2ban and tried to see if the rules were created properly and got this error:

code:

sudo iptables -L
modprobe: ERROR: ../libkmod/libkmod.c:557 kmod_search_moddep() could not open moddep file '/lib/modules/4.9.28+/modules.dep.bin'
iptables v1.4.21: can't initialize iptables table `filter': Table does not exist (do you need to insmod?)
Perhaps iptables or your kernel needs to be upgraded.
Service seemed to be running, but you already see an authentication error.

code:
● fail2ban.service - LSB: Start/stop fail2ban
   Loaded: loaded (/etc/init.d/fail2ban)
   Active: active (running) since Mon 2017-08-21 12:03:46 UTC; 3s ago
  Process: 21947 ExecStop=/etc/init.d/fail2ban stop (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)
  Process: 21971 ExecStart=/etc/init.d/fail2ban start (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)
   CGroup: /system.slice/fail2ban.service
           └─21982 /usr/bin/python /usr/bin/fail2ban-server -b -s /var/run/fail2ban/fail2ban.sock -p /var/run/fail2ban/fail2ban.pid
This is the fail2ban log.

code:
2017-08-21 11:46:00,330 fail2ban.server [21773]: INFO    Changed logging target to /var/log/fail2ban.log for Fail2ban v0.8.13
2017-08-21 11:46:00,344 fail2ban.jail   [21773]: INFO    Creating new jail 'ssh'
2017-08-21 11:46:01,158 fail2ban.jail   [21773]: INFO    Jail 'ssh' uses pyinotify
2017-08-21 11:46:01,774 fail2ban.jail   [21773]: INFO    Initiated 'pyinotify' backend
2017-08-21 11:46:01,802 fail2ban.filter [21773]: INFO    Added logfile = /var/log/auth.log
2017-08-21 11:46:01,825 fail2ban.filter [21773]: INFO    Set maxRetry = 6
2017-08-21 11:46:01,858 fail2ban.filter [21773]: INFO    Set findtime = 600
2017-08-21 11:46:01,870 fail2ban.actions[21773]: INFO    Set banTime = 600
2017-08-21 11:46:03,334 fail2ban.jail   [21773]: INFO    Jail 'ssh' started
2017-08-21 11:46:03,946 fail2ban.actions.action[21773]: ERROR   iptables -N fail2ban-ssh
iptables -A fail2ban-ssh -j RETURN
iptables -I INPUT -p tcp -m multiport --dports ssh -j fail2ban-ssh returned 300
All packages are up to date; I'm running the lastest Raspbian version on an RPi (1) model b. Any ideas on how to troubleshoot this? I'm not sure what's exactly going wrong here.

edit: fixed it by upgrading the firmware with rpi-update.

LochNessMonster fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Aug 21, 2017

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Not strictly a pi question, but I'm building kind of a goofy arcade cabinet and I want to have switches people can press with their feet. I'm a bit concerned about the durability of a regular 3" arcade button; is there anything else out there that would be more durable, without going the route of a racing pedal or full blown DDR square?

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
if it's not rough it isn't fun.
You could do it with a drum pedal. I took a real one and used it for Rock Band with a practice pad a few years ago. Wire a normally open Reed switch up, attach it to the base of the pedal, and epoxy a strong magnet to the pedal itself. The kick action closes the circuit.

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.

LochNessMonster posted:

Not sure if I should post this on the Linux thread but figured it might be something more people have run into.

I installed fail2ban with: sudo apt-get install fail2ban and tried to see if the rules were created properly and got this error:

sudo iptables -L
modprobe: ERROR: ../libkmod/libkmod.c:557 kmod_search_moddep() could not open moddep file '/lib/modules/4.9.28+/modules.dep.bin'
iptables v1.4.21: can't initialize iptables table `filter': Table does not exist (do you need to insmod?)
Perhaps iptables or your kernel needs to be upgraded.

Any ideas on how to troubleshoot this? I'm not sure what's exactly going wrong here.

edit: fixed it by upgrading the firmware with rpi-update.

:laugh:

Sometime's the easiest solution is the one that is stating you in the face. rpi-update also updates the kernel. Glad you got it fixed :cheers:

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

eightysixed posted:

:laugh:

Sometime's the easiest solution is the one that is stating you in the face. rpi-update also updates the kernel. Glad you got it fixed :cheers:

Before starting I already did a apt-get update/upgrade so I expected everything would already be up to date. I specifically checked the iptables package after that message and that was up to date.

I had no clue I needed to run rpi-update to update the kernel. I expected apt would've done that for me. :downs:

My Rhythmic Crotch
Jan 13, 2011

Can anyone recommend a resistive or capacitive touchscreen solution that has good driver support "off the shelf" with raspbian or some other popular distro? My brother-in-law has been bugging me for like 2 months trying to compile, install, and do xorg config for some random POS touchscreen he got off of ebay or something. At this point I just want to tell him "buy this, It Just Works"

He's trying to do a carputer, so like 7-8" size is preferable I suppose. Thanks for any ideas.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

My Rhythmic Crotch posted:

Can anyone recommend a resistive or capacitive touchscreen solution that has good driver support "off the shelf" with raspbian or some other popular distro? My brother-in-law has been bugging me for like 2 months trying to compile, install, and do xorg config for some random POS touchscreen he got off of ebay or something. At this point I just want to tell him "buy this, It Just Works"

He's trying to do a carputer, so like 7-8" size is preferable I suppose. Thanks for any ideas.

https://www.element14.com/community/docs/DOC-78156/l/raspberry-pi-7-touchscreen-display

#wow #whoa literally the first thing google threw up

My Rhythmic Crotch
Jan 13, 2011

I do know about that one, but had hoped to hear a first hand "yeah, it does actually work" or see other options with higher screen resolution because I know he'll complain about that. I should have mentioned that I knew about the "official" touchscreen though.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

The official Raspberry Pi touchscreen display is pretty much plug and play

Mantle
May 15, 2004

My Rhythmic Crotch posted:

Second best to the official display is something from Adafruit since they are supported with tutorials and wiring diagrams.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Hey I have an old Asus power adapter and I was wondering if it will work as a Pi power source. If it does then great I can return the QVS one and get $11 back. The model number is PA-1070-07 The picture here has the specs listed. https://www.amazon.com/Tablet-Charger-NEXUS7-ASUS-2B16-PA-1070-07-ZENFONE/dp/B00PBKEGJA

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

MazelTovCocktail posted:

Hey I have an old Asus power adapter and I was wondering if it will work as a Pi power source. If it does then great I can return the QVS one and get $11 back. The model number is PA-1070-07 The picture here has the specs listed. https://www.amazon.com/Tablet-Charger-NEXUS7-ASUS-2B16-PA-1070-07-ZENFONE/dp/B00PBKEGJA

Rated amperage is a little low. It'll probably work fine for a Zero, but you might have stability issues or random reboots with a Pi3.

2.5A is the general suggestion.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

eddiewalker posted:

Rated amperage is a little low. It'll probably work fine for a Zero, but you might have stability issues or random reboots with a Pi3.

2.5A is the general suggestion.

Okay, I have a ton of Android adapters so I'd love to make to use of one of them. I have a Pi3 Model B.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
Break out the multimeter! :dance:

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
From what I recall the Pi itself uses under 1A, but issues appear when you add draw to the USB ports or when your >=1A rated adapter can't actually keep the voltage close to 5V under load and you get a brownout. I had this problem with a Blackberry tablet charger - it was rated for 1.8, but for whatever reason I kept getting issues with the SD card going read-only even though the only thing plugged into USB ports was an external HDD on its own independent DC adapter. The problem went away when I switched to an iPhone charger. I doubt the Blackberry charger had issues delivering the raw wattage, but it was probably designed around not worrying about hitting 5V exactly because it was only ever going to be charging a battery.

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
"You are standing in a thread. Someone has made an insightful post."
LOOK AT insightful post
"It's a pretty good post."
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post
"You shit on the post. Why."

Eletriarnation posted:

I doubt the Blackberry charger had issues delivering the raw wattage, but it was probably designed around not worrying about hitting 5V exactly because it was only ever going to be charging a battery.

That's exactly the issue, lots of power supplies for charging aren't stabilized. They'll overshoot and undershoot depending on load and for charging this also doesn't really matter because the batteries don't care but the Pi does. Searching for a "stabilized power supply" might give better results. I had such a power source for my Pi 2 and I never had any problems with crashes or corrupted memory cards.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I have this 12.5" IPS LCD panel, 1366x768, has a defect on the far right third but otherwise works great, a quick google says that a standard 40 pin LCD adapter for the Pi is about $40 shipped.... is there any use for this thing or is it trash. Also willing to gift it to someone here in the bay area if they want. IPS is the good one, it's a big step up from TN.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I'd originally set up my Pi as a pi-hole, but since I rolled my own VPN, I haven't needed it as such, so I thought I'd use it for some other stuff. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to be visible to my router anymore (or isn't pingable, at least). Short of taking my pi, keyboard, and mouse downstairs to plug in to the TV, is there any way to recover a connection to it over SSH or VNC?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Hadlock posted:

I have this 12.5" IPS LCD panel, 1366x768, has a defect on the far right third but otherwise works great, a quick google says that a standard 40 pin LCD adapter for the Pi is about $40 shipped.... is there any use for this thing or is it trash. Also willing to gift it to someone here in the bay area if they want. IPS is the good one, it's a big step up from TN.

It will be possible to set up the graphics driver to only draw on one part of the screen and keep the rest blank, if that's what you mean. It's a real pain but you can absolutely use that monitor under that condition.

Specific instructions on how to do this will vary by linux distribution you use, and some programs you run may override it and draw into the defective area.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

hooah posted:

I'd originally set up my Pi as a pi-hole, but since I rolled my own VPN, I haven't needed it as such, so I thought I'd use it for some other stuff. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to be visible to my router anymore (or isn't pingable, at least). Short of taking my pi, keyboard, and mouse downstairs to plug in to the TV, is there any way to recover a connection to it over SSH or VNC?

If you're just planning on using it for something else, and there's nothing useful on there, just wipe it with the latest raspbian image and add a blank file called ssh to the boot partition on the card

You'd have to connect it to the router via an ethernet cable obviously

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

e: my first ever quote is not edit :3:

astral
Apr 26, 2004

hooah posted:

Is it connected by wifi? By default, if it loses its wifi connection, it doesn't reconnect.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
No, it's connected via Ethernet. I'll wipe it tonight, there wasn't anything important on it. What sort of tool would I need to add that empty file to the boot partition?

hooah fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Aug 30, 2017

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

hooah posted:

No, it's connected via Ethernet. I'll wipe it tonight, there wasn't anything important on it. What sort of tool would I need to add that empty file to the boot partition?

You can use Notepad or TextEdit. Just make a blank plaintext file and delete the file extension.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.

Skarsnik posted:

If you're just planning on using it for something else, and there's nothing useful on there, just wipe it with the latest raspbian image and add a blank file called ssh to the boot partition on the card

You can also add wpa_supplicant.conf to the boot partition, containing eg
code:
country=US
ctrl_interface=DIR=/var/run/wpa_supplicant GROUP=netdev
update_config=1

network={
        ssid="ssid"
        psk="password"
}
and that'll overwrite the default config, letting you go directly to wifi.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Skarsnik posted:

Ok, I got around to doing this but the ssh connection is refused.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Stupid question but do you have ssh turned on?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I thought that's what the empty ssh file was for. The point was to avoid carrying everything downstairs to connect to my TV.

eta: ...the ssh file that I now realize I forgot to copy over to the SD card :facepalm:

hooah fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Sep 2, 2017

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

hooah posted:

Ok, I got around to doing this but the ssh connection is refused.

Definitely got that blank file called ssh on the fat partition of the card, with no file extension?

e: should have scrolled a bit further :)

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
So you have to buy an entirely different ribbon cable to use the Pi camera module with a Pi Zero? Brilliant way to save half a penny, guys.

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.
Arrow has the Pi3 on sale for $28 with free overnight shipping with the code PI20.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Magnus Praeda posted:

Arrow has the Pi3 on sale for $28 with free overnight shipping with the code PI20.

Sales on the Raspberry Pi always make me worry the next model is due out in a month. That may not be the case, but I bought a B+ on sale right before the Pi 2 came out. Fortunately it's still in use because I've managed to find a way to use like four of these things in different roles.

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

Rexxed posted:

Sales on the Raspberry Pi always make me worry the next model is due out in a month. That may not be the case, but I bought a B+ on sale right before the Pi 2 came out. Fortunately it's still in use because I've managed to find a way to use like four of these things in different roles.

I think this is the second or third time this sale's happened so I don't think the 4's coming out next week or something. But, as you point out, it's not like you can't find a use for it. I've got like 3 of my old B+'s hanging around doing random poo poo since my solution to "I need a computer to do one specific task" is almost always "throw a pi at it." Need to display a rotating set of images on a monitor that only get switched out quarterly? Pi. Lightweight media player needed NOW? Pi. Temporary wireless AP? Pi.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.

Rexxed posted:

Arrow previously ran a free Pi3 campaign for purchases above $20, they're just trying to get more customers using them I think

(incidentally arrow is a great source for adafruit stuff because it's mostly slightly cheaper + free shipping)

huhu
Feb 24, 2006
I'd like to setup several scripts to run on a headless RaspPi. What would be the best method to manage them? Perhaps I could make a simple Flask website running locally from the Pi to have the content loaded there?

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
SSH?

huhu
Feb 24, 2006

The less effort the better in the long run. Unless I could just print everything the moment I ssh in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

huhu posted:

The less effort the better in the long run. Unless I could just print everything the moment I ssh in.

It doesn't get much easier than "ssh hostname ./mycoolscript.sh"