Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
http://i.imgur.com/V2kLkk9.gifv

Ah yeah thats the stuff. Status City.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
Aerial Style and MHW actually made me like dual blades.

Zmej
Nov 6, 2005

I do like how aerial style is being kept alive in small ways and the massive IG incorporation. I also love the little air dash toot lol

Space Hamlet
Aug 24, 2009

not listening
not listening
I'm sure that the Handler's constant tips will be turn-offable or only present in the first few quests or something, but it's baffling how much stuff they felt the need to explain through her. You get hit and she says "try not to get hit!" like yeah i kinda figured lady

Fruit Chewy
Feb 13, 2012
join whole squid
Anyone planning on picking up MHXX Switch today? I'm sorely tempted by some HD hunting and brave style. My last foray into untranslated MH was with the original release of 4 and it was... tolerable. Some goon multiplayer would be neat though. Has the MHW hype conquered any push to play on switch?

Camel Camus
Jun 16, 2009

Mais, non, je suis fantastique!

The thought of having to look up every loving component I need to upgrade every weapon makes me want to barf.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Neo_Crimson posted:

Are you using the lock on properly? The only monsters I had a problem with tracking are the super giant ones.

I mean.. Yeah? :v: I've already spent hundreds of hours on both MH4U and Generations so I know how the camera works.

I just haven't played for a little while and I had forgotten how much time agile (or big) monsters spend clipping through your camera. It's one of those things you get used to once you get into the groove, so it doesn't ruin the game or anything, but it sticks out now that I haven't played for a while and it's something that I hope they improve on in MHW. At least let us increase the FOV and maybe move the camera back a little, yeah? :pray:

Fruit Chewy
Feb 13, 2012
join whole squid

Camel Camus posted:

The thought of having to look up every loving component I need to upgrade every weapon makes me want to barf.

I kind of mostly wing it based on the color/icon/etc and previous knowledge of monster parts. The real bitch is loving charms.

Ape Has Killed Ape
Sep 15, 2005

Space Hamlet posted:

I'm sure that the Handler's constant tips will be turn-offable or only present in the first few quests or something, but it's baffling how much stuff they felt the need to explain through her. You get hit and she says "try not to get hit!" like yeah i kinda figured lady

I'm thinking this is only for the demo.

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA
My suspicion is that there will be a tutorial mission that throws you up against a large monster right off the bat, wherein those voice lines will be used. MH has always been criticized for its learning curve (more of a sheer cliff) as well as the slow start to the game. A robust tutorial that has you fighting a large monster at minute one would address both of those issues. That would be consistent with their wider efforts towards streamlining the formula and removing a lot of the fiddly poo poo that turned newcomers off.

Edit: The tips will be in the demo too for sure, I just expect them to show up in the full game as well.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Roland Jones posted:

I'd have to rewatch the video to be sure, but I feel like I saw him doing red extract moves without having the full triple buff in that video. If they did make that change, yeah, that would suck a lot.

Okay, I rewatched the video, and while there aren't many moments he attacks with red buff but not the full triple, there are a few times, and he clearly has the red buff moveset while doing it. Faster stabs, the extra-spinny glaive twirl, even the aerial buzzsaw attack. No need for the triple up to get the good moves; they didn't hit the glaive with a huge nerf this game, he just misspoke or something.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p4y_a9xQ02k

Can't wait to play some Brave Style Long Sword in MHXX MHW :hai: I'm still super confused about the Hunting Horn because it seems like a lot of weapons, like the Long Sword, get crazy new moves in line with Generations' styles and arts. I mean, this is like a Critical Juncture + Sakura Slash built in, it's insane.

Also wondering if MHW has tighter hitboxes because I swear some of the stuff in this video would've hit him if this was a MHGen or previous monster.

Space Hamlet
Aug 24, 2009

not listening
not listening

Your Computer posted:

Can't wait to play some Brave Style Long Sword in MHXX MHW :hai: I'm still super confused about the Hunting Horn because it seems like a lot of weapons, like the Long Sword, get crazy new moves in line with Generations' styles and arts. I mean, this is like a Critical Juncture + Sakura Slash built in, it's insane.

Also wondering if MHW has tighter hitboxes because I swear some of the stuff in this video would've hit him if this was a MHGen or previous monster.

Hoo boy we are gonna be overpowered in this game again aren't we

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011

Your Computer posted:

It even has something similar to unhinged spirit.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Your Computer posted:

I hope they removed tripping, because Long Sword is going to get even more popular.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
upswings are still in the game so doubtful

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

I've seen tripping too. One of the mantles makes you immune to it while it lasts though

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Buglord

Neo_Crimson posted:

I hope they removed tripping, because Long Sword is going to get even more popular.

There's a whole section of dialogue in the video you quoted about how tripping is still in?

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
They have XX Switch digital download codes for sale on Amazon.jp for 5900somewhat yen, but for some reason it won't let you purchase them unless you have a Japanese billing address. If you don't know how to add funds to a JP Nintendo account, here's how you buy one of the codes:

This is assuming you already have an amazon.jp account. Create a new billing address and put in any Japanese address. I used Capcom's Osaka headquarters. Click on proceed, and it will ask for a credit card number. Use the one you already have registered to your Amazon.jp account. It will ask you to confirm your new billing address by reentering it, at that point just choose your default address and the purchase will continue like magic. Delete the fake address you added afterwards, or keep it if you want.

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006
After playing the MHXX demo on the switch, I have two questions:

A: Why does it seem like I can only click with the IG? I love the idea of the Charge Blade and Gun Lance, but I just can't make them work for me.

B: Westernized MHXX Switch when? (I know, I know...)

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Your Computer posted:

I would guess built-in sonic smash since that's the only other thing they can really grab from Gen other than double notes, and double notes are gone. It looked like there might have been a built in sonic smash in the first gameplay trailer for hunting horn, but that could have just been a graphical effect too. Otherwise, it'll probably depend on whatever new skills/mantles they add into the game that might add something to HH.

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA
Horn seemed to have some kind of multi-hit on recitals so I'd guess that was a built in sonic smash as you mentioned. Also the new horn UI is a huge QoL change for casual horners.

The LS evade slash is super sweet but it takes all your meter and only refills if you actually get a counter. You see it happen several times in the gameplay when he just tries to spam it. I'm glad they are adding a further mechanic to the weapon with the spirit thrust, I've always loved LS but it's historically been a bit too simple. I think it will be my go-to solo weapon in World.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

Mr. Bad Guy posted:

Why does it seem like I can only click with the IG? I love the idea of the Charge Blade and Gun Lance, but I just can't make them work for me.
Can't speak for Gun Lance but Charge Blade has a rhythm to it where you're going through a sequence of "get vials > charge phials > red shield > charge phials > axe mode megadeath" which can be very frustrating if you can't get into the groove with it. When you finally nail that sequence though it's incredible.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Yeah, IG is a deceptively simple weapon. There is only one real combo you need to remember (the infinite ground DPS one) and you just need to focus on always keeping up red, then white and orange if it isn't too big a pain in the rear end. Then you just add in some jumps to mount. Your attacks are fast, you're incredibly mobile even with your weapon out and being able to mount on demand makes so many fights much easier.

Almost every other melee weapon has a lot more combos and fiddly bits to remember and deal with. I'd say only Greatsword is as simple and it can be punishing to play correctly since your attacks are so slow and landing charge attacks is very difficult until you have a monster's pattern down.

Like HH, DB, Lance, LS, SA, CB etc all have a bunch more combos and additional mechanics to remember and even the 'simple' ones like Hammer or SnS have a much wider variety of regularly used moves plus the whole charging/oils thing.

Zore fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Aug 24, 2017

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

They could potentially add new songs for HH that have crazy new effects (maybe even one that gives you the double note functionality while it's up, who knows) but otherwise yeah, it seems to have gone backwards a step while everything else is getting something new.

And yeah, those two new longsword moves offer really interesting ways to both gain and spend your resources, and pretty much bumped the skill ceiling on the weapon right up. I wonder if the counter slash only actually works if you have full meter when you use it - the one time he actually does the counter properly in that video, he starts off with full, then goes to empty when he dodges back, then back up to full again when it connects.

scaterry
Sep 12, 2012
If anything, hunting horn needs 2 big changes: a song list that is available to all hunting horns and more combo potential between song recitals.

Too many times, the best hunting horn is the one that has the more useful songs set and not the interesting looking ones, like poogie horn.

Recitals can't combo into more notes and only into a final recital. If MHW allows you to move directly into a dodge or another move after recital, that is all the buff i need.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Pierson posted:

Can't speak for Gun Lance but Charge Blade has a rhythm to it where you're going through a sequence of "get vials > charge phials > red shield > charge phials > axe mode megadeath" which can be very frustrating if you can't get into the groove with it. When you finally nail that sequence though it's incredible.

I mean, it has a lot of versatility and you can use it in a lot of ways but what you describe is basically all I use it for :v: It feels like a bit of a waste since I only ever use the sword mode to get phials with charged attacks and shield thrusts while ignoring all its other moves, and barely ever use the shield... but getting into axe mode and nailing the "downward chop, double swing" combo feels so good. Once you get good at angling it you can hit monsters in precise spots from the weirdest angles and KOing with it is just... so good.

Also gonna rank "using an ultra burst to kill a sleeping monster after it runs away" as one of the most satisfying things in the game.

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009

Your Computer posted:

Also gonna rank "using an ultra burst to kill a sleeping monster after it runs away" as one of the most satisfying things in the game.

:same:

Except you left out the part where you beat up on small monsters on the way just so you have enough phials for a fully charged ultra so you can yell gently caress you as you slam that axe down on the sleeping monster that was pissing you off.

Screw you Najarala and your constant tripping.

Tykero
Jun 22, 2009
I thought I was gonna main my OG love the Greatsword at first when World came out, but now I'm not sure. Everything just looks so appealing.

pulp rag
Feb 25, 2013

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor
Man, I haven't touched MH in about half a year. Should really get back into the swing of things in preparation for World/Importing XX.

I'll forever be in love with GS and Bow. Think I should branch out. Anything that plays differently from both of those in a major way? No other weapons really have clicked with me, but I'm willing to bang my head against a wall for a while as I wait for releases.

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA

Your Computer posted:

I mean, it has a lot of versatility and you can use it in a lot of ways but what you describe is basically all I use it for :v: It feels like a bit of a waste since I only ever use the sword mode to get phials with charged attacks and shield thrusts while ignoring all its other moves, and barely ever use the shield... but getting into axe mode and nailing the "downward chop, double swing" combo feels so good. Once you get good at angling it you can hit monsters in precise spots from the weirdest angles and KOing with it is just... so good.

The screen zoom out it does during the ultra burst is just :perfect:

That being said I've always preferred to be in sword mode 90% of the time, I live to guard point everything and I love how meaty the charged swipe and shield thrust feel. The new charged sword mode and slide slash as well as giving us some transitions back is just super good news for me. I'm really torn between CB and LS for solo play (I will just play both let's be honest). For multi I'll still be an IG main simply because I can't be assed to fight a monster that's not on the ground 90% of the time. Multiplayer hunts are for efficiency and IG is the best support weapon there is, sorry horn nerds (the real best support weapon is LBG but I'm too lazy to manage that poo poo).

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

pulp rag posted:

I'll forever be in love with GS and Bow. Think I should branch out. Anything that plays differently from both of those in a major way?

I mean... every other weapon? :v: All the weapons are pretty different. Go HH, or SA. Or IG.

The only weapons I would really consider similar to each other are HH/Hammer I guess. Well, and LBG/HBG.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

This is it. This is the MH where I finally gun.

I say that every MH but with potential mouselook maybe it'll stick this time. :v:

pulp rag
Feb 25, 2013

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

I mean... every other weapon? :v: All the weapons are pretty different. Go HH, or SA. Or IG.

The only weapons I would really consider similar to each other are HH/Hammer I guess. Well, and LBG/HBG.

I consider GS and Bow similar because both involve charging up and waiting for a good moment to strike. Same with Hammer?

Pretty much: which weapon focuses on getting right up in a monster's face and smashing that Attack button?

e: I'll try out IG and HH for shits and giggles.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

AttackBacon posted:

The screen zoom out it does during the ultra burst is just :perfect:

That being said I've always preferred to be in sword mode 90% of the time, I live to guard point everything and I love how meaty the charged swipe and shield thrust feel. The new charged sword mode and slide slash as well as giving us some transitions back is just super good news for me. I'm really torn between CB and LS for solo play (I will just play both let's be honest). For multi I'll still be an IG main simply because I can't be assed to fight a monster that's not on the ground 90% of the time. Multiplayer hunts are for efficiency and IG is the best support weapon there is, sorry horn nerds (the real best support weapon is LBG but I'm too lazy to manage that poo poo).

CB's sword mode definitely feels great to use and the new stuff in MHW makes me wonder if it's actually viable to play a more sword-focused CB (which would be rad). I wish the same about the Swaxe because axe-mode is so nice and yet that part of the weapon is kept to an absolute minimum (should've called it the Sword Sword) but the new stuff in MHW looks fun at least.

I know for sure I'll be using a bunch of weapons, just like in Gen.... there's too many cool things to just main one or two weapons!

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

pulp rag posted:

I consider GS and Bow similar because both involve charging up and waiting for a good moment to strike. Same with Hammer?

Pretty much: which weapon focuses on getting right up in a monster's face and smashing that Attack button?

Switch Axe? HH actually gives you pretty good mileage on just bashing the monster's head in, since you can still get pretty far with just the basic song, and you never have to worry about bouncing.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
Lance+Hammer+Bow 4 life.

Heavy Bowgun actually looked pretty great in that video though, very nice and satisfying sounds.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

pulp rag posted:

Switch Axe.

I thought it sounded complicated at first, kinda like the CB, but then I tried it and it's probably the easiest most straightforward weapon in my opinion. You get up in the monster's face and then you smash that attack button and then occasionally go into axe mode to reload before continuing.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Buglord
Bows up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HFPZaga4qWw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

pulp rag posted:

IG is super great. Just focus on always having Red extract, you get it from heads and occasionally claws. It makes the weapon absolutely spew out damage, its great.

Don't worry about white, it lets you move faster/jump higher and crit more but it osn't essential. Orange is pretty meh unless you're going against something that roars a lot and is usually a huge pain in the rear end to get.

• Locked thread