Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

That's not what that post was saying, we've had this argument hundreds of times, you're just saying old poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

Al Borland Corp. posted:

That's dumb. There's a clear character arc for Superman between the two and a clear character arc for Batman within the second. The second film builds a lot on the character and on the world and how it has reacted to him.

The third, featuring Superman's return, is going to finish his arc and bring him full circle into a triumphant symbol of hope, most likely.

Having seen both films but not the extended BvS, I honestly have no idea why Superman is a super hero. Granted, the first film was all about him uncovering his origin and where he should fit in the world, but BvS actively set back that arc by tossing a bunch of social obstacles at him. That'd be fine if he ever had a moment of overcoming them. Instead, the climax is him being blackmailed into a fight with a crazy person, fighting yet another remnant from his homeworld, and then dying. None of that actually touches on his inner conflict of "maybe I shouldn't help the world if they fear me so much". I mean, it somehow ingratiates him to the world, but since that change in opinion happens off screen, it comes off as just happening. I suppose Batman is supposed to represent the overall public opinion, but forgive me if i have trouble relating to a murderous billionaire.

Anyway, I probably shouldn't have posted this. If anyone wants to continue the discussion without annoying everyone justifiably sick of it, feel free to PM me.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Wheat Loaf posted:

One discussion I remember from earlier this thread was about how it would be fun if they went all in on the "forgotten hero" angle and announced "Sentry 2" or made out that it was the reboot of the original Sentry movie from the 1970s with a big star like Brad Pitt playing the Sentry, and in all the promotion they'd talk about how great and important the original Sentry movie was and how they want to recapture the spirit of the original.

Thing about the Sentry is that he worked better when it was just a one off miniseries and once they added him to the regular comics he kind of lost everything that made him special.

For a movie version you'd probably have to shrink the timeline down to being around in Phase One of the movies. Like they could retcon the lack of death during the Battle of NY (Avengers 1) to the Sentry running around saving people. Also why after that things started getting darker, because Bob wasn't around.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I dunno, I think if you did it in the MCU you'd want him to predate Cap, so that it really sinks in how big a deal he was.

And you probably wouldn't want to end his arc with Thor putting him down like a mad dog.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Is Suicide Squad still part of the DCEU?

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

Wheat Loaf posted:

Is Suicide Squad still part of the DCEU?

unfortunately yes

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost
If he had a cameo in the Venom movie to tear Carnage apart in space, that might make something from Sony worth seeing.

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009

howe_sam posted:

People pay waaaaaaay too much attention to movies in preproduction.

this is true. i do feel like WB has not done themselves any favors, though. the amount of PR around BvS and Suicide Squad's production from beginning to end was drat excessive.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Oh, the Joker origin movie, Suicide Squad 2, Gotham City Sirens and The Batman weren't enough? Well here's a Joker/Harley movie for some reason

http://www.avclub.com/warner-bros-a...SocialMarketing

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
Forget Joker/Harley.

...Harley/Ivy please. I just like how domestic they were, out in the toxic waste dump.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

I can see why there would be an audience for a Joker/Harley movie, but I hate that there is. I assume this is what ICP has done to America.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Aint nothing wrong with a joker/harley movie

I hope they fight the Bat Man and that he's the antagonist of their movie

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Maybe the Joker/Harley movie ends with her killing Mr J

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

MacheteZombie posted:

Maybe the Joker/Harley movie ends with her killing Mr J

A major plot should be how Harley keeps killing the Joker and replacing him with a new guy brainwashed to think he's the original Joker.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

The biggest problem with this Joker/Harley movie is that we appear to be losing Gotham City Sirens for it to exist.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Rhyno posted:

A major plot should be how Harley keeps killing the Joker and replacing him with a new guy brainwashed to think he's the original Joker.

i dig this idea

TFRazorsaw posted:

The biggest problem with this Joker/Harley movie is that we appear to be losing Gotham City Sirens for it to exist.

eh i'm treating all these announcements as just rumor mill garbage. i'll believe the movies exist when they're released.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
https://twitter.com/krolljvar/status/900471988862427136

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Rhyno posted:

I don't like this because I am 100% certain that they would do it the other way around

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Matt reeves just tweeted that the Batman is part of the DCEU, and that he meant the movie wouldn't be filled with cameos and plots from the other DCEU movies, if you want some more rumor/spin from DC

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

fruit on the bottom posted:

I don't like this because I am 100% certain that they would do it the other way around

That's the joke, somewhere in the new 52 Joker says he's been doing exactly that and throws Harley in a room with a bunch of skeletons in black and red getups.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

purple death ray posted:

That's the joke, somewhere in the new 52 Joker says he's been doing exactly that and throws Harley in a room with a bunch of skeletons in black and red getups.

loving hell

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

purple death ray posted:

wow that is supremely awful

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

MacheteZombie posted:

And a goon was complaining about my characterization of the Joker in the new 52 being a Slasher Killer.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
We don't even have Green Lanterns cast yet but sure let's get three new movies about that

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

MacheteZombie posted:

That Harley design is so godawful and I hate how the DCEU costume takes cues from it

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Big Mean Jerk posted:

That Harley design is so godawful and I hate how the DCEU costume takes cues from it

eh I didn't mind her design in SS (they even won an oscar!). Everything about that page is real bad.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
It doesn't seem like DC has much of a loving plan at all to me.

Say what you want about Marvel but for the most part their poo poo seems relatively thought out. Affleck was by far everyone's favorite part of BvS and somehow that's getting hosed up and dying on the vine. I know SS did good box office, but was anyone clamoring for more Leto and Robbie along with another entirely unrelated Joker movie, Scorcese or not?

At the rate we're going, we're like less than year away from DC doing earth 1, earth 2 and New 52 films because no one can sort out what the gently caress is what.

It's gonna be funny seeing Aquaman and Wonder Woman being their biggest success stories from this whole shared universe thing. I'm no fanboy one way or the other and I LIKE DC characters. I just think DC should dedicate their movie division to telling whatever the gently caress stories they want and forget continuity or a shared universe at this point.

I know I just partially contradicted myself there, but DC's lack of foresight really seems to have hamstrung them moving forward and they seem to be flailing by trying to forcefully make everything fit together so, rather than trying to build it into something collective in an incoherent way, just say "gently caress it" and go tell fun stories with great characters at this point.

It'd probably make the movies better, really, since they've hosed up the set up and the foundation so badly thus far and are flailing at making any sense out of it.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

purple death ray posted:

So was her backstory and real name also brainwashing or is it just Comic Book Coincidence! that this current incarnation of Harley Quinn was named Harleen Quinzel?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Are you saying it's their fault for Affleck being a complete fuckup who ruined his life?

quote:

I know SS did good box office, but was anyone clamoring for more Leto and Robbie along with another entirely unrelated Joker movie, Scorcese or not?

Yes. Have you been to any store lately?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Suicide Squad has also won an Oscar, something no Marvel movie has done! :v:

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
I love BvS and MoS and I'd be okay with DC just doing Elseworld's all the time. Then for kicks do JL movies periodically.

Right now though, I just want Flash to get made. I like Ezra, the costume, and the way his speed power has been shown so far.

Aphrodite posted:

Yes. Have you been to any store lately?

Haha yeah they're money printing machines for DC/WB.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

BiggerBoat posted:

Affleck was by far everyone's favorite part of BvS

The costumers really made him look good as Wonder Woman.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

MacheteZombie posted:

Matt reeves just tweeted that the Batman is part of the DCEU, and that he meant the movie wouldn't be filled with cameos and plots from the other DCEU movies, if you want some more rumor/spin from DC

Yeah I could have told you guys all that, he said after not stepping in this thread for two days...

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Since most of my exposure to fan reactions to superhero movies is via BSS, I feel I must ask, were there people who were mad keen on Joker in Suicide Squad? I thought it was pretty try-hard and I know most folks here were really put off by all the stories about Leto being a prat behind-the-scenes, but does he have any really passionate defenders who think he's the coolest thing ever?

Likewise, I realise that loads of people love Harley Quin (I like the character fine but I really don't and probably can't understand the "most popular DC character" level of success she's had in recent years), but do people really love the Harley/Joker relationship? That is, think it's this really wonderful, beautiful romance for the ages?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Wheat Loaf posted:

Likewise, I realise that loads of people love Harley Quin (I like the character fine but I really don't and probably can't understand the "most popular DC character" level of success she's had in recent years), but do people really love the Harley/Joker relationship? That is, think it's this really wonderful, beautiful romance for the ages?

Absolutely.

Though I would guess/hope they're only casually familiar with them and don't realize how hosed up that is.

poly and open-minded
Nov 22, 2006

In BOD we trust

Beachcomber posted:

The costumers really made him look good as Wonder Woman.

yeah for me it was 1. Wonder Woman 2. Wonder Woman's theme 3. knowledge that eventually I will die

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Wheat Loaf posted:

Since most of my exposure to fan reactions to superhero movies is via BSS, I feel I must ask, were there people who were mad keen on Joker in Suicide Squad? I thought it was pretty try-hard and I know most folks here were really put off by all the stories about Leto being a prat behind-the-scenes, but does he have any really passionate defenders who think he's the coolest thing ever?

While the Leto stuff was certainly annoying, I was looking forward to the portrayal. But it wasn't particularly good nor was it particularly meaningful. You could cut the Joker out of the film and it wouldn't impact a thing. In fact listing Leto as a "co-star" is probably close to false advertising because he's in the film for what, 7-8 minutes?

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Leto is also a morally repugnant individual who has probably committed sexual assault, so. Yeah. Not really eager to see more of him.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

James Cameron apparently was not that impressed with Wonder Woman.

quote:

“All of the self-congratulatory back-patting Hollywood’s been doing over Wonder Woman has been so misguided. She’s an objectified icon, and it’s just male Hollywood doing the same old thing! I’m not saying I didn’t like the movie but, to me, it’s a step backwards. Sarah Connor was not a beauty icon. She was strong, she was troubled, she was a terrible mother, and she earned the respect of the audience through pure grit. And to me, [the benefit of characters like Sarah] is so obvious. I mean, half the audience is female!”

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2017/aug/24/james-cameron-well-never-be-able-to-reproduce-the-shock-of-terminator-2

I mean, saying Wonder Woman is a step backwards is what's a bit misguided I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mumbly
Apr 12, 2007
I figure a lot of people who are into the Harley/Joker relationship are either casual comic fans who treat it like as a trivia fact or teenagers who are in their "edgelord" phase, the latter being more vocal. Hopefully they'll mature out of it, but, well, I once met a Harley fan who was over twenty and they were a little messed up.

That said, I could tolerate a Harley and Joker movie if they don't actually cancel the Sirens movie for it.

Mumbly fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Aug 24, 2017

• Locked thread