Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Crane Fist posted:

I'm not sure what point you're trying to make. It seems like you're saying because nazis have always been around, everything is fine and it doesn't matter their numbers are increasing and they're more likely to turn up for marches?

The issue is there was a dramatic rise in participation and interest of neonazi and white nationalist organisations starting around the time Hillary Clinton and her surrogates started pushing 'you either agree with me and all I do or you are a nazi'. If the party you are traditionally are aligned to abandons your community and forces you into poverty and then tells you that you are a terrible person if you aren't onboard for getting hosed even harder its not a loving surprise that you turn to people who offer you some hope regardless of what it is.

Either that or people join terrorist orgs for the lulz. I need to check ISIS's views on the sovereignty of kekistan

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

Crane Fist posted:

That's uh

That's a really bad comeback

I mean think about it for ten seconds

it is the same thing as a white woman who falls down a well and the whole nation pays attention to it yet when things happen to minorities it is often ignored by the media and national as a whole, just not local communities

the amount of attention the one death is getting makes light of all the other deaths

all are deserving of attention, but people, like they have many times before, will focus on this one and then largely ignore the rest that come after it

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Third World Reggin posted:

it is the same thing as a white woman who falls down a well and the whole nation pays attention to it yet when things happen to minorities it is often ignored by the media and national as a whole, just not local communities

the amount of attention the one death is getting makes light of all the other deaths

all are deserving of attention, but people, like they have many times before, will focus on this one and then largely ignore the rest that come after it

i agree, all lives matter

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Byolante posted:

The issue is there was a dramatic rise in participation and interest of neonazi and white nationalist organisations starting around the time Hillary Clinton and her surrogates started pushing 'you either agree with me and all I do or you are a nazi'.

oh my loving god

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Byolante posted:

The issue is there was a dramatic rise in participation and interest of neonazi and white nationalist organisations starting around the time Hillary Clinton and her surrogates started pushing 'you either agree with me and all I do or you are a nazi'. If the party you are traditionally are aligned to abandons your community and forces you into poverty and then tells you that you are a terrible person if you aren't onboard for getting hosed even harder its not a loving surprise that you turn to people who offer you some hope regardless of what it is.

Either that or people join terrorist orgs for the lulz. I need to check ISIS's views on the sovereignty of kekistan

I mean yeah it's not like there was another event around the time Clinton lost that might have encouraged this. Maybe the white supremacists are coming out of the woodwork because one of them... did... something important? Won something? Maybe? Was given a job...?

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

nazis are hillarys fault is my mew fav take

The Ol Spicy Keychain
Jan 17, 2013

I MEPHISTO MY OWN ASSHOLE
when ur nazi apoligism reaches overdrive

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

Byolante posted:

oh wow im glad i clicked on this thread tonight

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

thread title delivers re: the mocking

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

the fact that even liberals wont concede a single argument when its obviously dumb as hell, even a really really dumb one, really puts to like the liberal idea that a calm reasonable debate is going to solve anything with people who believe that george soros is using the blacks to commit white genocide

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Crane Fist posted:

I mean yeah it's not like there was another event around the time Clinton lost that might have encouraged this. Maybe the white supremacists are coming out of the woodwork because one of them... did... something important? Won something? Maybe? Was given a job...?

I linked it earlier in the thread but the sudden surge in popularity of sites like daily stormer coincide with the deplorables speech and resulting media idiocy and pre-date the election by 6 months or so.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Byolante posted:

The issue is there was a dramatic rise in participation and interest of neonazi and white nationalist organisations starting around the time Hillary Clinton and her surrogates started pushing 'you either agree with me and all I do or you are a nazi'.

Thanks Obama

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Byolante posted:

I linked it earlier in the thread but the sudden surge in popularity of sites like daily stormer coincide with the deplorables speech and resulting media idiocy and pre-date the election by 6 months or so.

there was also a sudden surge in popularity of sites like cnn.com and twitter.com

surrounding an election

for some reason

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Al! posted:

there was also a sudden surge in popularity of sites like cnn.com and twitter.com

surrounding an election

for some reason

nope

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

the presidential campaign, which started octlber 2016 lol

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

if anything actually, the dips in popularity AFTER the election for cnn and twitter but an increase for stormfront clearly indicate that someone other than hillary clinton is driving traffic to those sites

hmmmmmm?mmmmmmmmm

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Clinton did the speech about the Alt-Right in August, and the Deplorables speech was in September. All this data proves is that Daily Stormer got way more popular after their guy won the white house.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

please, my god please, stop self owning my dude

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Clinton did the speech about the Alt-Right in August, and the Deplorables speech was in September. All this data proves is that Daily Stormer got way more popular after their guy won the white house.

I'm the guy ignoring when the upward trajectory started (hint its in september)

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Al! posted:

the fact that even liberals wont concede a single argument when its obviously dumb as hell, even a really really dumb one, really puts to like the liberal idea that a calm reasonable debate is going to solve anything with people who believe that george soros is using the blacks to commit white genocide

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Al! posted:

just admit you made an incredibly dumb argument and move on jfc

It's not a dumb argument.

You and Crane Fist's point was that what happened in Charlottesville was an unprecedented event and a sign of the resurgence of white supremacists in America. I linked to an event in 2001 (literally the first result on Google when you do a search from 1996-2004) where 70 nazis from around the country met up in York and one of them even ran over counterprotesters. The arguments being made today are the same arguments that were being made 15+ years ago.

Nazis doing demonstrations isn't a sign of the fourth reich rising. It's the same bullshit they've been doing for the past 35 years. Just in slightly higher numbers.

Byolante posted:

This is a dumb post but there's a slight point buried in it.

The only way this current situation is any different is if you honestly believe that Trump and a majority of his supporters are also nazis. Now more than ever, it's really important for us to correctly label who's a nazi and not water down the term to the point where average people roll their eyes at the accusation.

Trump = not a nazi
Republicans = not a nazi
free speech defenders = not a nazi
free speech provocateurs/vultures = not a nazi
Richard Spencer/Vanguard America = :siren: loving NAZIS :siren:

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

This would all mean a lot more coming from someone who didn't vote for the guy who the Nazis loved and supported. If Nazis are on "your team" maybe you need to wake up and realize that the team you're on has become extremely loving lovely.

(Hint: they were always dogwhistling racism, Trump just discovered the bullhorn approach works better and whoops, look at the results!)

E: VVV I was speaking to CMC, not you. Not everything is about you.

WampaLord has issued a correction as of 10:32 on Aug 24, 2017

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

WampaLord posted:

This would all mean a lot more coming from someone who didn't vote for the guy who the Nazis loved and supported. If Nazis are on "your team" maybe you need to wake up and realize that the team you're on has become extremely loving lovely.

(Hint: they were always dogwhistling racism, Trump just discovered the bullhorn approach works better and whoops, look at the results!)

It would be very difficult for me to vote for Trump considering I am not American and cannot vote in American elections. I did vote for Jeremy Corbyn's representative in my constituency though if that helps?

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

WampaLord posted:

Implying that I sided with the nazis by voting for Trump is really going to make me reevaluate my position and accept Hillary Rodham Clinton as my lord and savior.

I'm sure the more you try to push Pepe The Frog as a hate symbol or Trump as King Of The Nazis, the more people will recoil away from the Republican party. (oh wait, the exact opposite has been happening)

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

Call Me Charlie posted:

Trump = not a nazi
Republicans = not a nazi
free speech defenders = not a nazi
free speech provocateurs/vultures = not a nazi
Richard Spencer/Vanguard America = :siren: loving NAZIS :siren:

Actually sir "nazi" can refer to everyone from literal white supremacist neonazis to free speech absolutists depending on how directly you are challenging the parameters of nazi punching in the current political climate. It's a new paradigm!!

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Call Me Charlie posted:

Implying that I sided with the nazis by voting for Trump is really going to make me reevaluate my position and accept Hillary Rodham Clinton as my lord and savior.

Literally no one said a drat thing about this.

Serf
May 5, 2011

while this thread is not a microcosm of america, it is heartening to see the people who would be collaborators are both in the minority and also exclusively dumb as gently caress and largely reviled

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
I'm glad I started all of this by telling people who tsk tsked about violence to eat poo poo

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Crane Fist posted:

How is it possible to be this white and comfortable, this utterly infantile, that you think people who don't like actual Nazis marching in the streets are really just still mad at jocks

everyone knows the people who were mad at jocks were the ones who turned into nazis anyway

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Call Me Charlie posted:

I'm sure the more you try to push Pepe The Frog as a hate symbol or Trump as King Of The Nazis, the more people will recoil away from the Republican party. (oh wait, the exact opposite has been happening)
This is nonsensical. Your Trump vote doesn't have to define you or whatever, but if you're failing to see the incredibly obvious ways Trump is egging on white supremacy, then you're just another moron who can't see the facts staring you in the face.

Public legitimacy and acceptance is a real thing, and it's something that nazis are themselves aware of and try to push. Don't be a useful idiot.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Call Me Charlie posted:

That's not what I was doing. Also, literally no one wants you to love Hillary except DNC centrist hacks like JeffersonClay.

Don't let your Trump vote define you, there is still good in your heart, you just have to not quadruple down on "Oh yea? Call me a nazi, huh? Well I'll vote Republican double harder next time!" when no one called you a Nazi. I just said that you should reconsider which team you're picking when Nazis show up to support "your team"

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe

WampaLord posted:

That's not what I was doing. Also, literally no one wants you to love Hillary except DNC centrist hacks like JeffersonClay.

Don't let your Trump vote define you, there is still good in your heart, you just have to not quadruple down on "Oh yea? Call me a nazi, huh? Well I'll vote Republican double harder next time!" when no one called you a Nazi. I just said that you should reconsider which team you're picking when Nazis show up to support "your team"

neither of the dickheads running this show are "my team" because i'm not an ultra rich shithead

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

sword_man.gif posted:

neither of the dickheads running this show are "my team" because i'm not an ultra rich shithead

There's only one dickhead "running the show" right now, the election is over.

passionate dongs
May 23, 2001

Snitchin' is Bitchin'
drat, forced to become a nazi. that's real rough.

passionate dongs
May 23, 2001

Snitchin' is Bitchin'
look guys, I didn't want to become a nazi, but you stopped me from seeing some movie, hillary yelled at me, i don't have many options left

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

passionate dongs posted:

drat, forced to become a nazi. that's real rough.

hey what choice did i have, hillary said the word deplorables and called my favorite cartoon frog a nazi, and to make matters worse antifa punched white supremacist richard spencer so im sure im next!!!

Serf
May 5, 2011

passionate dongs posted:

look guys, I didn't want to become a nazi, but you stopped me from seeing some movie, hillary yelled at me, i don't have many options left

the sad thing is i know people who are like this

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

WampaLord posted:

"Nobody is saying you're a nazi, just that you should be punched as if you were a nazi."

You're aware that other posters in this thread have said that 'tear gas should be the least of their worries' wrt Trump supporters, right? Or that you're guilty by association if actual nazis crash your protest. There's good reason to be incredulous.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
Perhaps by working to get right wing assholes fired they can direct their anger at their corporate masters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Serf posted:

the sad thing is i know people who are like this

you mean you know people who say that to make long held beliefs more palatable to you

• Locked thread